Author Topic: Olive oil as a Guzzi cleaner.  (Read 1691 times)

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
Olive oil as a Guzzi cleaner.
« on: December 08, 2016, 08:01:44 PM »
So, I have been using a multi layer gel pad on my Jackal seat for a few years now. The stock seat is so low for me that my knees are higher than my hips. At least it feels like it. So the gel pad would raise me up enough so that I could last at least a hundred miles before body parts started protesting. The gel pad has just about reached the end of its life. The non skid rubber backing has been leaving a gooey mess on the seat. I have been in the garage for several hours trying all sorts of stuff to clean the seat and nothing would remove the goo from the seat. So, after sitting there contemplating the problem, listening to some Stan Getz, it occurred to me 'hey this thing is Italian- try some olive oil.' I liberally applied some good xtra virgin Italian stuff that I was saving for a special occasion, let it sit for ten minutes and what do you know. Most of the goo came off. Yeah!

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Olive oil as a Guzzi cleaner.
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:47:31 PM »
 :thumb:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Moto

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 12:01:27 AM »
Perfectly consistent with my own favorable experience of using Italian Agip motor oil to recondition my Italian Sidi boots (admittedly courtesy of a valve cover failure).

It just makes sense. (Thanks for the tip.)

Moto

P.S. A previous owner had a gel pad installed inside the seat of my T3, and it's never given me a problem. You might consider having an auto upholsterer split the seam and slides yours in.

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 11:31:14 AM »
Every region in Italy reckons their olive oil is the best. You'll need to tell us whereabouts yours came from.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 11:31:14 AM »

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 11:34:46 AM »
Better hang onto those bars!  For the future "Goof Off"  or "Goo Gone" (something like that) sprays are great for removing adhesive, and won't damge the surface.  Just wipes it off.  All the major stores sell it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 11:37:18 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 11:51:57 AM »
  I don't generally worry about the morals of cooking oils but I have always been curious about how they verify that olive oil is virgin. Do the have chaperones in the olive groves to make sure that no hanky panky is going on between trees?
 One tree says to the other, 'Hey baby, how about we pollinate?"  Can an olive tree even bear fruit without being pollinated?  Or is the operative word in this ,"fruit"?
 And what's this about extra virgin olive oil?  Either  it's virgin or it's not,  Just how does it become so virtuous as to qualify as "extra virgin"?  And does that make it a better saddle cleaner?
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline wavedog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 12:17:33 PM »
Good points, Sasquatch and I have no idea. This oil was given to me as a gift from my daughter. It was in a glass container. She said it was taken from a barrel in an undisclosed location.
 I don't know about the virtue of the oil, or how that is determined, but the seat sure smells good.

Offline Dharma Bum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 12:41:19 PM »
I used olive oil to remove some gum that one of my granddaughters left on the leather seats in my car.  It came off quicker than with anything I've used before.  Seemed like everything I looked at at the hardware store cautioned about use on leather.

Offline giusto

• Gaggle Hero
  • Giusto il canne del Como
    • photobucket
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 05:42:23 PM »
So now that we're off on olive oil...dig this

Most of the olive oil that comes to the US is fake or partially fake....diluted with sunflower oil in most cases.
Do not buy the brands that failed the olive oil content test if you desire the real product. There is no chemical standardized test for olive oil exported from Italy....this is a multi multi million dollar business... do not fuel it.

The brands that failed the test:
•   Pompeian
•   Bertolli
•   Colavita
•   Star
•   Sasso
•   Antica Badia
•   Primadonna
•   Carapelli
•   Mazola
•   Felippo Berio
•   Safeway
•   Whole Foods
•   Carapelli
•   Coricelli
•   Mezzetta

The guys that passed the test and can be trusted:
•   Corto Olive
•   Ottavio
•   Omaggio
•   Bariani Olive Oil
•   Lucini
•   Kirkland Organic
•   Lucero
•   Olea Estates
•   McEvoy Ranch Organic
•   Cobram Estate
•   California Olive Ranch
2020 V 85 TT Travel
76 V1000 Convert Mr. Slate
76 V1000 Convert...in restoration process
2008 Norge Mia
2007 Breva
66 Benelli 125
68 Gilera 106
è il viaggio non la destinazione che è importante

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here