Author Topic: V7 Classic, fork gaiter/boot question  (Read 1931 times)

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
V7 Classic, fork gaiter/boot question
« on: December 09, 2016, 04:40:46 AM »
I have just fitted a set of OEM gaiters to my classic, not an easy job but they`re on. The only thing I haven`t been able to figure out is how the **** these stupid ******* retaining clips work? They look like they need some sort of special tool to tension them, any ideas?

post a picture

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 04:42:37 AM by welshrob »

ponti_33609

Re: V7 Classic, fork gaiter/boot question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 05:58:14 AM »
Yes, they have a special crimping tool to fasten/crimp them....$15-$30 bucks on-line.

Here is a link.

https://www.shopcross.com/product/oetiker-14100082-jaw-pincer-forged-steel-rubber?gclid=CjwKEAiAyanCBRDkiO6M_rDroH0SJAAfZ4KLttFXwnK0cX5UvPNoGmPQ30sZ6k1YLyB7i6JGYlnCLRoCEinw_wcB

Others have mad due with other creative ideas.  I bought used I think on eBay for ~$15 bucks when I replaced mine when flipping fenders.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 05:58:52 AM by ponti33602 »

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 06:01:36 AM »
Supposed to be "squeezed" tight (on each short side of that rectangle) - like an Oetiker clamp.  There are special pliers for that, but can be done with cross cut wire cutters.  Just go slow, and don't overtighten.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:02:32 AM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 06:06:12 AM »
Supposed to be "squeezed" tight (on each short side of that rectangle) - like an Oetiker clamp.  There are special pliers for that, but can be done with cross cut wire cutters.  Just go slow, and don't overtighten.
Exactly
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 06:06:12 AM »

Offline SeanF

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 10:24:49 AM »
Special pliers to tighten a clamp in a non-critical application was not something I wanted to spend money on. So I just used black zip ties, cinched snug. No need to over-complicate, IMO.

ponti_33609

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 10:29:37 AM »
Special pliers to tighten a clamp in a non-critical application was not something I wanted to spend money on. So I just used black zip ties, cinched snug. No need to over-complicate, IMO.

Others use stainless zips as well.

Offline Bisbonian

• Gaggle Hero
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 10:46:01 AM »
You can probably go to your local auto parts shop which rents out tools and get some CV boot clamp pliers.

Our local Autozone probably has them; pay the money, squeeze your clamps, take pliers back, get money back.

Offline welshrob

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 03:41:51 PM »
Thanks everyone.  :thumb: I bought these from AF1 racing, I have now emailed them suggesting that they put this in their product description, people thinking of purchasing these need to know.

Oetiker clamp pliers are not a tool that most motorcyclists have in their kit and none of the large outlets here carry them, so if I wanted a pair I would have to buy them online. So, I am going to do as suggested and try and close them carefully with with a pair of cutters.

Online Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 04:34:13 PM »
Thanks everyone.  :thumb: I bought these from AF1 racing, I have now emailed them suggesting that they put this in their product description, people thinking of purchasing these need to know.

Oetiker clamp pliers are not a tool that most motorcyclists have in their kit and none of the large outlets here carry them, so if I wanted a pair I would have to buy them online. So, I am going to do as suggested and try and close them carefully with with a pair of cutters.

Try to put some tape on the blades so they crimp and not cut.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here