Author Topic: Best way to clean/polish exhaust header pipes on Breva 1200 and other Guzzis?  (Read 2840 times)

Offline donp71

• New Egg
Hello all,

Wonder if I can get some thoughts from the Wild Guzzi brains trust regarding the best way to clean/polish  and then keep clean the Guzzi header pipes on my Breva 1200 2V?

Any particular products/techniques anyone can suggest, or best to take them off the bike and get professionally polished by someone?

Cheers
Don
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 06:22:06 AM by donp71 »
Breva 1200 2V 2008

Offline TodkaVonic

• Hatchling
I've used California Customs Purple Metal Polish and 0000 steal wool and achieved great results. It's helpful to remove the bit you're cleaning/polishing.
2021 BMW R18 First Edition
2006 Ducati Sport Classic Paul Smart
1970 Moto Guzzi Ambassador

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
Had good luck with Blue-Job and a lot of elbow grease.  There's a thread a few months back on this I think. If you get tired of this thankless task and still want the pipes to look uniform lengthwise, you could go the ceramic coating route: https://www.jet-hot.com/

Cheers!
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline JACoH

• Gosling
In the old days, we used a product called "Blueaway", I think it came from same maker as "simichrome" polish. Only downside to it, the pipes, although not blue anymore, were blackened.

Wildguzzi.com

Offline willowstreetguzziguy

• Gaggle Hero
My 08 1200 Sport header pipes have a "golden color" similar to the gold Brembo calipers and I like that. What color are yours?
2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport 
1993 BMW K75S Pearl White (sold)
"Going somewhere isn't why you ride, riding is why you go!"    Moto Guzzi... because the only person I have to impress is me.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
A big ol buffing wheel and rouge. Nasty job, but they'll look new again. Wipe them down well after reinstalling so you're oily fingerprints don't show after they get hot again. Of course, all of this reminds me of work so I don't do it. It's just the exhaust system on a motorcycle.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Once you start polishing the head pipes , if you don't keep doing it they will look like trash. Mufflers are different, I spose material and heat.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
Ask Tex how to polish those pipes, he's probably an expert on the subject.  :grin:

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Ask Tex how to polish those pipes, he's probably an expert on the subject.  :grin:

Dean

Yep, he's probly got fat stacks of polish... :gotpics:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 08:03:08 AM by John A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline donp71

• New Egg
Thanks all for the ideas so far.
Will try to post a pic of what my headers look like at the moment as a guide.
Cheers
Don
Breva 1200 2V 2008

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
Barkeepers friend (oyxalic acid)on a rag instantly removes the oxidation (gold color on SS).  Wet and dry sandpaper with WD 40 as a lubricant for the tough spots.  Palm sander with foam pad and metal polish restores mirror shine.  Hand polishing?  Ain't nobody got time for that!

If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
I haven't polished pipes since I had a Harley...   :shocked:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline davidwb

• New Egg
I have found a paste called BLUEMAGIC made in Cleveland by Blue Magic Inc. does a very good job on my V7 Classic. You keep polishing until the paste turns black.
David.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here