Author Topic: CPAP, Insurance won't allow sleep study?  (Read 7349 times)

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
Re: CPAP, Insurance won't allow sleep study? Updated 4/29
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 06:47:53 AM »
Well, insurance agreed to a home study.  I picked it up paid my co pay and bingo bango, they called and said I have a problem, big surprise.

So, the insurance company wanted a sleep study this time, paid my deductable and the woman who monitored me said I had it pretty bad, and should have been on a machine a long time ago, again big surprise on my part.  I choose the full mask as I breath through my mouth when I sleep.

Got the machine yesterday, again a co-pay, and set it up last night.  It wasn't life changing sleep for me last night.  I woke up several times when the mask lost its seal, and when the pressure really increased.  I don't sleep well on my back, but I just have to get used to it I suppose.

the wife said I didn't snore or stop breathing all night, so  :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

the big test the days.  Usually, if I sit still in a comfortable bed, I fall asleep.  Church, riding in a car, watching TV,  or at work at my desk.

The machine is a Resmed MYAIR.  It starts out with a very low flow then when it senses your are asleep it ramps up the pressure and that is what kept waking my up.  If it keeps me from snoring its worth the effort.  I assume I will get used to it and all will be much better.

I will check around on the net to see how the replacement parts cost in relation to the maintenance costs the company who sent me the machine runs and make a decision.

The CPAP shop has this machine for 883.oo, thats a little cheaper than all my copays and deductible that I have paid at this point.  I will talk to my brothers and my son and see what they do for replacement parts. 

So for now a mixed result.  I was really hoping for noticeable change in my sleep, first night not so much, my perception.  But it is enough of a change that I will use it and hope the sleep does get better.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Rough Edge racing

Re: CPAP, Insurance won't allow sleep study?
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2018, 09:36:40 AM »
 I have a question and please don't take it too personal....I know men and women with sleep Apneia and use a machine at night... I can say they are all more than a bit overweight...I do know that trim people can have the problem but are any of you overweight ? And if so do you think losing weight would help?

Offline Numbercruncher

• Hatchling
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2018, 11:26:38 AM »
My brother has a CPAP machine and probably needs one.  He drinks WAY too much.  He is WAY overweight and has a poor diet.  If he quit drinking, lost 30 pounds and ate better, I bet it would make a huge reduction in his need for CPAP.  Rest assured obesity and alcohol are contributing factors.  Alcohol allows the body to relax too much and obesity complicates breathing and everything else as well.  To me it is like type 2 diabetes.  While it is very real, lifestyle can take care of 90% of it.

If everyone who gets tested for a CPAP machine needs one then the industry is magically able to diagnose 100% accuracy all the time.  I don't believe that for a minute!  Sleep apnea, like Gluten intolerance and many other trendy health scares should be few and far between in contemporary society.  Okay if gluten intolerance is a result of our fast food lifestyle that our bodies have yet to adapt to I can see that but people have been sleeping for thousands of years.  There is just no way that in the last 100 years, 25% or 50% or 100% of the US population has sleep apnea.  Insurance companies just want to take your money. 

I have a messed up left shoulder and the surgeon's assistant started talking bone on bone, arthritis and in not so many words was trying to tell me I needed a new shoulder.  I went to see the doctor I have had since I was a teenager and he took an X-ray and said my shoulder looked pretty good.  There was one bone spur but there was a nice black gap between the humorous and the socket and he said I was simply not 25 any more.   He rotated it around and commented, "If there is arthritis and/or bone on bone why can't I feel it?"  He didn't make the comment as if he was dumbfounded and incompetent but just pointing out that severe shoulder issues are very evident.  I am 48 now and this was three years ago.  He looked me in the eye and said unnecessary joint replacement is a billion dollar industry.  I have not been back to that surgeon's assistant since then.

Why is it doctors get paid so much money to have a practice?  If I was allowed to do my financial job like that I'd be fired tomorrow.

"Well Greg that stomach ache may be cancer it may be indigestion, I don't know,"  says the doctor to me.

"Well Mr Guy-I-Work-For, last month we either made money or we lost money, I don' know," says Greg (me) to my boss just prior to getting fired.

"Well Mr General Contractor, that roof I installed may collapse and kill everyone in the building.  Then it again it may not collapse and kill everyone in the building, I don't know," says the roofing contractor to the general contractor just prior to getting fired.

For every good doctor like my primary care that I have seen for decades, there are body-shop docs that want to see what your insurance will pay for and that is what they'll do, needed or not.

NC
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 06:20:53 PM by Numbercruncher »

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
Re: CPAP, Insurance won't allow sleep study? update
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 09:15:01 PM »
its been 6 nights now.  First 3, it was difficult sleeping.  Figured out that the hose connection to the mask was leaking too much.  Got a good seal at low pressure, but at higher pressure it was venting too much.  wrapped a piece of scotch tape around the connector, reduced the gap between the mask and the connector and its good now.  Much quieter, and less pressure to the mask.  Still venting, but tolerable.

the machine report says poor seal first couple of nights.  I was getting low 70's out of a 100. last 2 nights I got high 90's and a 100 once.  it measures sleep time, events per hour, seal at mask, and times I move the mask.

first few nights, the machine says I had as many as 19 incidents an hour.  last night it was down to 3 per hour.  Still difficult to fall asleep, but hoping I will get used to it at some point. 

Definitely sleeping deeper, I don't even hear the alarm go off, the wife has to wake me up.  That never happened in the past, I usually was awake before the alarm went off.  Mouth was really dry first few nights, but it seems less and less so each night.

No more snoring, happy wife...

I need to find a better hose connection, and hard to get used to sleeping with an Octopus on my head, but its been a positive step.  Should have done it years ago.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Wildguzzi.com

Re: CPAP, Insurance won't allow sleep study? update
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2018, 09:15:01 PM »

Offline Attackpug

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2018, 10:17:20 PM »
Sounds like you need it .bEst thing I ever did about to die from sleep apnea ( put a truck in the ditch ) not from falling asleep MY BODY WAS SHUTTING DOWN.
2016 BMW R 1200 RT
2017 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #149 My baby!

Offline slowpoke69

• New Egg
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2018, 06:24:42 AM »
 try a breathe right strip 1st, they help me BUNCHES.  If I'm feeling stuffy I take any allergy pill at dinner time,  to give it time to start working.
My adjustable bed has helped too.
I too think it's over diagnosed,  if you're a guy with a17" neck you seem to have it,  period. Gray way for companies to make some extra dough!
I snore like a freight train, so did my grandfather,  both professional drivers,  it's not something you can live with,  toy just make adjustments.
Also, the sleep study will determine whether you need a full-face mask or just a nose mask, etc.

I can stress enough how important the study is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2018, 03:43:29 AM »
I started using one on Monday, never sleep that well since a long long time ago.

I went for sleep study last December and the AHI was 55, doctor suggested I lose some weight (BMI was 27) and start using a CPAP machine. Lost 6 kgs (13.2 lbs) over the past six months but my sleep apnea problem is not improving, threw the towel last week and ordered a CPAP machine and accessories.

Surprised to see there is a CPAP discussion in WG  :grin:

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 03:49:24 AM by Phang »
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2018, 07:51:29 AM »

Surprised to see there is a CPAP discussion in WG  :grin:

We talk about blood pressure, prostates, bowel function (steel cut oats), neuropathy, blood sugar, and every other "Old Man" subject you can think of.   Sleep Apnea is just one of the pantheon of adventures of aging ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2018, 09:59:23 PM »
Its taken awhile, but I am finally getting used to sleeping with the octopus on my head...

not crazy about the mask, it loses its seal pretty easy.

I don't snore anymore, thats a good thing.  I would say I sleep deeper, but not any longer than I did before.  At first, the wife had to wake me up, but now I wake up with the alarm clock.

I haven't fallen asleep watching the TV in awhile.  No nodding off sitting in easy chair.

Old Head

06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2018, 10:15:32 PM »
You might consider a Dreamwear brand mask.   The air hose connection is at the top of your head, so you can sleep in any position without tangling in the hose. 

The headgear is soft, so you can comfortably lay on it.  I use the nasal cushion, but they also have a full face mask if you breathe through your mouth. 

https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/solutions/sleep/masks

When I switched to this, I stopped waking up at night due to the mask breaking seal when I roll over on it.

that looks innovative!

I bought all three types of Resmed mask, nasal pillow, nasal and full face, started with the nasal pillow.

I don't like the hose lying on/across my chest, will definitely get one of those Philips Dreamwear mask in my next order.

« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:23:41 PM by Phang »
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2018, 10:28:31 PM »
We talk about blood pressure, prostates, bowel function (steel cut oats), neuropathy, blood sugar, and every other "Old Man" subject you can think of.   Sleep Apnea is just one of the pantheon of adventures of aging ...

Lannis

Lannis, at midlife, I started to have the idea of decluttering my life. WG definitely is not the best place to hang around as I read forum members buying new motorcycle at the age of 70+  :laugh:
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2018, 07:09:47 AM »
Lannis, at midlife, I started to have the idea of decluttering my life. WG definitely is not the best place to hang around as I read forum members buying new motorcycle at the age of 70+  :laugh:
Hello Phang. Maybe some declutter so they CAN buy a new motorcycle.  Be sure to see Mars and the Perseids tonight!
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2018, 07:17:12 AM »
Its taken awhile, but I am finally getting used to sleeping with the octopus on my head...

not crazy about the mask, it loses its seal pretty easy.

I don't snore anymore, thats a good thing.  I would say I sleep deeper, but not any longer than I did before.  At first, the wife had to wake me up, but now I wake up with the alarm clock.

I haven't fallen asleep watching the TV in awhile.  No nodding off sitting in easy chair.

Old Head
Congrats on getting something to help with the problem.  It is an industry, so when someone goes for a sleep study they do NOT often come back with the recommendation, "we could sell you this but try to modify this or that before you buy our product."  That being said, apnea is no joke and it sounds like both you and Phong got real help you needed.  Happy wife, happy life.  Cheers.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2018, 07:44:30 AM »
Hello Phang. Maybe some declutter so they CAN buy a new motorcycle.  Be sure to see Mars and the Perseids tonight!

I am going to give the Perseids a miss tonight. I need to sleep early to keep a steady AHI baseline of a week before I start trying different mask types/sizes and pressure tweaking.

The AHIs are getting better and were below 5 for the past three nights, wife said she sleeps better too without the snoring from me.
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2018, 03:21:20 PM »
My events per hour were running around 20/ hour.
they seemed to have settled around 3-5 per night.  huge improvement.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2018, 08:07:19 PM »
If you do decide to try it, look for sizing information on the Phillips web page.  CPAP.com sells these in a kit w/ 1 headset, and 3 different size nose-pieces.  The kit always uses size MED on the headset, which was to small for my giant melon-head.  Using a string to measure really helped get the right fit.

I used Resmed P10 nasal pillow last week, leakage was low as long as I sleep on my back.

Switching to Resmed N20 nasal mask this week, I hope it will be more comfortable than the nasal pillow as my nostrils hurt every morning last week.

Thanks for the tips on Dreamwear headset sizing, I have a relatively large skull by Asian standard, helmet is Arai XL (61cm ~ 62cm) fullface, most likely will need a large frame.

2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2018, 03:48:03 AM »
So it looks like 'He died peacefully in his sleep' isn't going to apply to youse dudes with the infernal bedside machines.
Does this then make it more likely that you'll go by motorcycle instead?
Hopefully neither, it just seems a little ironic for motorcycle riders to be worried about death by apnea.
But I'm scared of heights up ladders while I enjoy leaning my Duke round tight corners so that's a similar dichotomy.

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2018, 01:54:51 AM »
I am only 35 and was diagnosed that I neeed one...

Didn’t believe it until I was so sleep deprived and had a slow speed crash years back...didn’t brake when I was supposed to :P

Now I sleep well enough to not needing coffee most of the days now...

Pricy machine but damn it is worth it.
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2018, 02:01:34 AM »
yes, my energy level during the day is day and night different since the night I started to use it.

It felt like I just replaced a tired and badly sulfated main battery in my body.
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here