Author Topic: The unloved 81 Honda 750 build  (Read 6504 times)

Rough Edge racing

The unloved 81 Honda 750 build
« on: January 12, 2018, 07:56:57 AM »
  I bought this lump from a local hillbilly, 81 Honda 750C to work on during the winter...Paid $750 for it, a good running but ugly bike..I figured about $2000 including the purchase price  for the project....
 Disassembled the engine to fix oil leaks and replace rings and guide seals due to age...Adapted a 96 Honda 750 VFR front end and dual disc brakes and 17 inch wheel..late 80's VRF750 rear wheel. New Avon 120-17 front and 150-18 rear tires. The suspension geometry has been altered to be more like a modern sport bike.....I cut off a pile of unneeded brackets and junk from the frame...modified a 71 Triumph 650 rear fender to fit...I made the rear set pegs and controls from stock parts and heim joints...reworked the stock wiring loom.small Lithium iron battery.Spiffy carbon fiber muffler for 45 bucks shipped to my door from Ebay...My wife polished the engine covers....
  Got 100 bucks left to spend... :wink:

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4394/36834733630_5033f84e28_c.jpg

This morning it looks like this.....I just finished rebuilding rejetting the carbs

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:00:51 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline EldoMike

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: The unloved 81 Honda 750 build
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 08:14:55 AM »
Silk purse out of a pigs ear...nice work

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 08:20:33 AM »
Bike projects are the best. Seeing that engine and frame reminds me of my '81 CB750F. I did a similar resto of one that had been left outside a while back in the eighties. Most of the damage was cosmetic, but I got the bike for only $550. I had a tough time with the jetting (hard to get it just right), clutch (it tended to slip when the weather was hot), and the stator on that bike, but it lasted for 9 years. It wasn't exactly my dream machine, but it allowed me to ride during the years when my kids were my number one priority...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »
 Yes, the stator...I notice the bike has what looks like an aftermarket stator and regulator.. Jetting can be fussy with exhaust headers and no air box...I made longer collector pipe between the header and muffler to hopefully increase midrange power...And a Dynojet kit for the carbs....CV carbs can be fussy with Pod air filters...I have pods on the 96 Monster 900 with Mikuni CV's and was told it will never run correctly...After jetting changes, float level adjustments and proper location for the CV chamber air vents it runs better that a stock Ducati...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 08:37:24 AM »

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:43:48 AM »
Good for you!  :thumb: :cool: Honda 750's, as we all know, are solid, reliable motorcycles. 

For maximum market value, return it as close to "stock" as possible...just my humble opinion... :wink:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 08:48:52 AM »
Good for you!  :thumb: :cool: Honda 750's, as we all know, are solid, reliable motorcycles. 

For maximum market value, return it as close to "stock" as possible...just my humble opinion... :wink:

The pile of cutoff stock brackets says it will always be a "special"... :evil: 

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 10:35:23 AM »
BTW: the rearsets are brilliant. I like them better than the original Honda (accessory) rear-sets! That is where those controls should have been to begin with...

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 10:39:03 AM »
  The pile of cutoff stock brackets says it will always be a "special"... :evil:

A basic stock look, ("a special...") with upgraded performance "mods" is fine...  :thumb: :cool:

Only the vintage purists would disagree... :wink:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:56:40 AM »
BTW: the rearsets are brilliant. I like them better than the original Honda (accessory) rear-sets! That is where those controls should have been to begin with...

Thanks, here's the shifter side...It's stock parts modified and welded to the frame and two rod ends and length of tubing.. The hardest part is getting them in a good position for reasonable riding control and comfort..The side cover will be left off so it'll look like what you see

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:57:27 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 04:53:08 PM »
I'm sure you're keeping the Comstar wheels. They look pretty good painted all black...and they're exceedingly strong.

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 06:29:37 PM »
I had a almost new CB 750 custom back in the day. Great bike and in its time one of the fastest. At least in my neck of the woods:)

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 06:38:51 PM »
Respect the work, but putting lipstick on a pig.............

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 09:53:06 PM »
Nice! What are you shooting for? I really like the vintage superbike look and you are pretty much there.
Here's some inspiration!

1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 05:11:47 AM »
I'm sure you're keeping the Comstar wheels. They look pretty good painted all black...and they're exceedingly strong.

The photos show the narrow Comstar wheels replaced by 90's one piece wider cast wheels with much larger brakes painted black...The look is minimalist, a mixture of styling clues from from what ever I like...

A 1971 Triumph 650 rear fender ,150/70-18 tire...The license plate mounts under the right tail light...I installed the carbs last night... The engine is ready to start..

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 09:16:52 AM »
Funny...I’m doing a restoration on a ‘71 Triumph TR6R, myself. Where did you source the cast wheels? I expect you had enough chain clearance as the tire is only 10mm closer to the chain than the stocker. I’m fascinated so far and anxious to see your finished machine. I have an old XS650 in the stables that will eventually get the semi-custom treatment (after the Triumph and the ‘63 Bug), so I appreciate you sharing your methods...

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 09:50:19 AM »
Funny...I�m doing a restoration on a �71 Triumph TR6R, myself. Where did you source the cast wheels? I expect you had enough chain clearance as the tire is only 10mm closer to the chain than the stocker. I�m fascinated so far and anxious to see your finished machine. I have an old XS650 in the stables that will eventually get the semi-custom treatment (after the Triumph and the �63 Bug), so I appreciate you sharing your methods...

Front wheel is from a 1991 Honda 750VRF, 17 x 3.5, fitted with 1996 300mm brake discs...Rear wheel is 1988 Honda VRF750 ,18 x 3.5..I had to make spacers to fit the front wheel on the 1996 VRF front forks and calipers...Since I couln't use a speedo drive on the front wheel, I used it on the rear wheel like a old Triumph...I had to spread the swingarm legs outward 1/2 inch using a hydraulic "porta power" so all the parts would fit and when the rear wheel was inline with the front wheel, the rear sprocket lined up with the trans sprocket..About 1/2 inch between the #530 O ring chain and the tire as a result of bending the swingarm leg...
 The wheels I chose where what was available for reasonable cost and the size to mount tires I wanted to get the "look" I wanted.

I build a bike like this about every two years...Last few have been a 84 Guzzi Cali and a 70 Triumph..I usually sell then after a year or two of riding to make room for a new project...My regular rider right now is a 96 Ducati 900 Monster with some minor modifications that I won't sell...

You might be interested in this 70 Triumph 650 I built a few years ago....Suzuki sport bike Showa forks and a bunch of other modifications...The engine has 750 kit and so on....I sold it .............

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 11:11:02 AM »
Lots of custom-fabbed stuff on the Triumph also, I see. My project is a great deal less creative. The ‘71 650s were unique, due to the funky-tall frame and the big wide seat. The wire fender stays and headlight mounts are unusual, too. Sooo...I decided I’d return it to stock; warts and all.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 12:41:41 PM »
Nice job Rough Edge! I love  low budget projects like that. I also love 80s superbikes. Please keep us posted on you very interesting build. :popcorn:
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 06:37:47 PM »
 Well, I'm working on a seat and front fender but more or less it's ready go...

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 08:42:27 PM »
Well, I'm working on a seat and front fender but more or less it's ready go...

How about a solo bicycle type saddle, large one like a old police bike.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2018, 05:38:22 AM »
How about a solo bicycle type saddle, large one like a old police bike.

I did try a "Bobber" solo seat but I didn't like the way it felt, like "naked" sitting on the bike because there was no way to grip the seat with your thighs..not secure feeling............ I saw an original solo seat from a circa 1990 Sportster that shaped more like a short cafe racer seat with a slight hump in the back that should be good...
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 05:39:52 AM by Rough Edge racing »

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2018, 07:23:55 AM »
I did try a "Bobber" solo seat but I didn't like the way it felt, like "naked" sitting on the bike because there was no way to grip the seat with your thighs..not secure feeling............ I saw an original solo seat from a circa 1990 Sportster that shaped more like a short cafe racer seat with a slight hump in the back that should be good...
Yea a solo poli e type of saddle is a different type of ridding. It’s sitting on the bike and not in the bike. I would like to see one on it and see what it looks like. Back in 81, as a motor officer we used the cb900 custom with vetter fairings and bags. They were great bikes for their time as the only other option in our part of the country was harleys, which we switched from.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2018, 08:08:16 AM »
Yea a solo poli e type of saddle is a different type of ridding. It�s sitting on the bike and not in the bike. I would like to see one on it and see what it looks like. Back in 81, as a motor officer we used the cb900 custom with vetter fairings and bags. They were great bikes for their time as the only other option in our part of the country was harleys, which we switched from.

Your wish is my command  :grin: I just happen to have an old saddle type seat from a Honda Shadow...While it feels ok just sitting on the bike, with the set back foot pegs and slightly aggressive riding position, it feels awkward to me with feet and hands on the controls...The bike is a stripped down hot rod and not for long rides and I prefer the look of a more compact seat like on the Ducati Monster in the background..

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »
  Your wish is my command  :grin: I just happen to have an old saddle type seat from a Honda Shadow...While it feels ok just sitting on the bike, with the set back foot pegs and slightly aggressive riding position, it feels awkward to me with feet and hands on the controls...The bike is a stripped down hot rod and not for long rides and I prefer the look of a more compact seat like on the Ducati Monster in the background..

I was thinking more on the lines of the old big bicycle seat with the springs exposed at the rear. That seat looks ok but I believe the bicycle type with springs wound look better. Can you get that one in your mine’s eye?

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 05:26:22 PM »
Well Tony, if you want to fool around with a tractor type seat I have one  :thumb:

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 06:12:21 PM »
Well Tony, if you want to fool around with a tractor type seat I have one  :thumb:

Ok Mr funny guy..  :grin:  How about I duct tape a Barca Lounger to the frame so you'll be all comfy if you want to ride it..

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2018, 02:14:57 PM »
 This is it, a 90's genuine HD Sportster solo seat...It was on my wallet and easy to mount, it's good to go...i started and ran the bike several times yesterday..No smoke no leaks..The exhaust has a nice  sound and not too loud or raspy...A new class of bikes, Cafe Cruiser   :grin:

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2018, 03:15:35 PM »
Well done on the Honda 750 "Cafe Cruiser!"  :thumb: :cool: :1:

Here is a 20-year version from Moto Guzzi of a......"Cafe Cruiser" :wink: :cool:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 04:36:54 PM »
 The stock tank is too "Bobber/cruiser" style for me... The frame is oddly shaped and so finding a donor tank without having to do a lot sheetmetal shaping isn't easy....And good tanks ain't cheap even from mass produced bikes...But a 79 Yamaha XS 750 tank fit good after massaging the tunnel and spreading it wider by about 1/2 inch with the Porta-Power...

The tank will be painted gloss black..............

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2018, 07:57:43 AM »
  I finally settled on a 79 Yamaha XS750 fuel tank...I had to modify it a bit to fit... Lacquer paint that I color sanded between coats.. When it comes to rattle can paint jobs, lacquer is more fuel resistant than enamel

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here