Author Topic: "10 Awesome Military Bikes Which Appeared In World War 2"  (Read 5837 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: "10 Awesome Military Bikes Which Appeared In World War 2"
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2018, 05:30:06 PM »
Lannis, the airborne operations in WW2 were huge affairs that spread paratroopers and glider infantry over massive areas. The already dicey communications gear was vulnerable to damage both from the drop and the rigors of combat, so alternative methods had to be found. When units could not use radios, they used runners. Bikes...even mini bikes sped things up a bit. A little redundancy doesn�t hurt when the stakes are high. To quote an old soldier, �Overkill doesn�t fail.�

That's all true ... but I'll have to do a little research around from the available info and see if, in actuality (not training clips, which I've seen a lot of!) but on the battlefield, whether a paratrooper really thought that bimbling along on this tiny scooter was a better way of staying alive than being on his own two feet.   I might be surprised ... maybe they actually did work somewhere ... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2018, 09:37:53 PM »
  Two wheeled messengers all had bull eyes on them.  I don't know what percentage survived the war, but of those that served the front line had a pretty low percentage.  The German riders had a large very useful garment for inclement weather that covered body arms and even buttoned around the legs.  They called it the bone bag cause it was what they were usually buried in.  I had an Australian duster which is about as close to it as you can find nowdays.  I wore it to the national in S. Dakota many years ago when I forgot to pack my sleeping bag.  I slept in it with a blanket for three nights until I had the chance to buy a sleeping bag at the campground.
 The first day of that trips pouring rain and Under the bone bag Was protected.
 Old fashioned oiled canvas works pretty good.  I still have that duster.  I think it is indestructible.  I have been using it since I bought it in Sidney back in 87.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2018, 11:14:03 PM »
You all stir many memories. I was stationed in France on an airbase that originally was French, then German during WW2. I came home, night school several jobs and met a former German Army Messenger.
He was drafted at 14 yrs. old. Rode mostly Zundapps. One was shot out from under him by strafing allied planes. I'm glad he survived. His stories of motorcycle training and a few very long rides at night, sometimes in heavy rain were fascinating; especially after living in France for 2 years and subsequently business travels in Europe for 33 years.  Thanx, R3~ 

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 08:18:21 AM »
From a Wikipedia article about the "Welbike:"

"In combat situations, however, the Welbike could prove a liability as paratroops needed to get under cover as quickly as possible and had to find the Welbike containers before they could even start to assemble them. The difference in weight between a parachutist and a container meant that they often landed some distance apart, rather defeating the purpose, and some were captured by enemy forces or lost before they could even be used. The low power and small wheels also meant that they struggled to cope adequately with the often rough battlefield roads so were often abandoned by troops who found it easier to continue on foot. Another problem for the Welbike was that, by the time it was in mass production, much larger gliders had been developed that could carry bigger and more powerful motorcycles such as the Royal Enfield WD/RE."

Remarkably, these bikes (made by Excelsior) were produced throughout the war. In all, 3641 entered service. Originally intended for use by Special Operations, these only saw combat when they were deployed by the British 1st and 6th Airborne Divisions. Believe it or not, the low-mount fuel tank used a hand pump to pressurize the fuel tank and deliver gasoline to the carburetor and there was no suspension. Lannis wasn't far off...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2018, 08:18:21 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
From a Wikipedia article about the "Welbike:"

"In combat situations, however, the Welbike could prove a liability as paratroops needed to get under cover as quickly as possible and had to find the Welbike containers before they could even start to assemble them. The difference in weight between a parachutist and a container meant that they often landed some distance apart, rather defeating the purpose, and some were captured by enemy forces or lost before they could even be used. The low power and small wheels also meant that they struggled to cope adequately with the often rough battlefield roads so were often abandoned by troops who found it easier to continue on foot. Another problem for the Welbike was that, by the time it was in mass production, much larger gliders had been developed that could carry bigger and more powerful motorcycles such as the Royal Enfield WD/RE."

Remarkably, these bikes (made by Excelsior) were produced throughout the war. In all, 3641 entered service. Originally intended for use by Special Operations, these only saw combat when they were deployed by the British 1st and 6th Airborne Divisions. Believe it or not, the low-mount fuel tank used a hand pump to pressurize the fuel tank and deliver gasoline to the carburetor and there was no suspension. Lannis wasn't far off...

Having a father-in-law that serviced B29s in the Army Air Corps back then, I'll also venture to say that if any of these scooters survived the drop and stayed with the Allies, they were used by aircrew and maintenance guys to run around the airfields .... every pic I see of his, there's guys on bicycles, light motorcycles, and everything else they could get their hands on to cover the mile-long trot from the barracks to the aircraft hard-stands ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Information is not knowledge.
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2018, 03:38:17 PM »
Of course, a WW II-era Indian model 841 would'nt be so bad either!! :laugh: :grin: :wink: :thumb: :cool:

Working on an 841 now as my current Indian project although I've had it longer than my ex-Canadian Army Indian 640-B (shown below).

photo uploading sites free

Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2018, 04:23:25 PM »
Cool beans!!  I saw this one a few months ago in a museum in Durango, CO...

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2018, 06:41:18 PM »
Cool beans!!  I saw this one a few months ago in a museum in Durango, CO...

That's a 741, the smaller brother of the 640. Indian made a lot of those and almost all went to Allied nations (UK, Canada, Australia, NZ, etc), while the US stuck with the WLA. Nifty bikes for sure!

The 841 is going to be a real chore; one of the more difficult Indians to restore. I'm a sucker, I guess!
'87 SPII, '74 Eldorado, '85 LeMans, '91 California, '71 Ducati 450 RT, '41 Indian 841, '40 Indian Model 640-B ex-Canadian Army

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2018, 05:12:24 PM »
Vintage WW II Indians and Harley's and others aside..."Hell Hath No Fury" like a 1947 Royal Enfield
125cc "Flying Flea!"
:thumb: :1: :cool: :wink: :smiley:

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline BOAT

• New Egg
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 07:38:12 AM »
Very enjoyable link which led to more. I lost most of the morning.........Hey, anybody know what that rigid mounted sardine can is doing on the DKW NZ 350?

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2018, 09:17:39 PM »
Biggest failure for Operation Marketgarden was the British radios weren't on the same frequencies.  Hence, the backup runners etc.

And they relied on Monty to come to their aid.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2018, 08:05:11 AM »
Very enjoyable link which led to more. I lost most of the morning.........Hey, anybody know what that rigid mounted sardine can is doing on the DKW NZ 350?

I noticed that as well!! (???)

Maybe that is exactly what it is...big, fat can A SARDINES for Lunch!! (lol)  :laugh: :grin: :wink:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2018, 09:50:38 AM »
I noticed that as well!! (???)

Maybe that is exactly what it is...big, fat can A SARDINES for Lunch!! (lol)  :laugh: :grin: :wink:

It might have contained oil for mixing with the fuel.

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2018, 05:41:09 PM »
My friend Ken has restored a Zundapp:

and I'm rebuilding the "power unit" of a '39 DKW NZ500. Working on the transmission section this week.

Charlie

Offline Denis

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2018, 07:41:02 PM »
A friend of mine, a retired airline pilot has a Zundapp and a BMW, both with driven sidecars. They are BEASTS!

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here