Author Topic: So...dodged the bullet this Saturday.  (Read 5605 times)

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
So...dodged the bullet this Saturday.
« on: January 14, 2018, 02:57:54 PM »
I'm back sans radioactive glow.  If you guys missed it.  We had a false ballistic missile attack warning.  It went statewide.  Human error.  Of course, people panicked without thinking. 

We just started weigh-ins for wrestling tourney.  The Athletic Director for that high school went into emergency mode.  Making announcements on the PA system and putting up posters for the gym being an emergency shelter.

Meanwhile, all the kids are sitting on the wrestling mats on their cell phones as most of the people in the bleachers trying to call/text.   :rolleyes:  Needless to say everyone is in panic mode and on their cell.  I'm thinking that all the cell towers are overloaded.

I look at one of the other ref's.  "Hey, if I'm going to fry, it's with a cup of coffee."   :tongue:   We're waiting for the all clear.  The sirens did go off.  One of the younger refs (he works for the Health Dept.) gets a text from a friend that works in the state Emergency Management Services that the text that went out is a false alarm. 

I explain to Alvin that if this was a true alert, we have a lot to consider:

1)  We only have 15 minutes.  Panicking won't help the situation.
2)  We're already in a shelter.
3)  We're located 190 mile SE of Honolulu.
4)  The only military target worth attacking is Pearl Harbor in Honolulu.  The missile subs are based there.  The rest of the military
     installations in Hawaii aren't worth a nuclear ballistic missile.
5)  The winds blow from the NE and would push any fallout away from our island and out to sea.  The people in West Honolulu County
     and Kauai would be screwed.

One team went home because the head coach it was too much for the kids.  The tournament went on and there was some good wrestling.  Only fly in the ointment, my last match ended on a full body slam.  The kid that did the slam defaulted and the winner went to the hospital.  Fortunately, it's more for a concussion than broken bones. 

From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

twowings

Re: So...dodged the bullet this Saturday.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 03:13:00 PM »
That's why it's important to be within 5 minutes of a bar... :boozing:

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 03:15:59 PM »
One of the other refs from New Jersey.  He said that his son called from NJ and asked if he and mom were okay.  Could he use anything?  I told him next time to make sure he sends a case of Yuengling.   :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »
We were living at Offutt AFB (SAC headquarters) in October 1962 when the Cuban missile crisis jumped off.   All the B-52s took off, and non combat personnel (my dad) were sent home to be with their families.   I can still remember that feeling ...

.... On the plus (gallows humor) side, the people waving those missiles around today would be lucky to land one in the right hemisphere, much less pick which part of the Hawaiian Islands to hit ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 05:59:24 PM »
 :1:   

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 06:08:42 PM »
Made the TV news headlines here, somebody pushed the wrong button   - oh dear. Hope they don’t make the same mistake at the launching sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 06:56:10 PM »
Para-phrasing.  "We looked in the mirror and the enemy was us."   :rolleyes:  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
Made the TV news headlines here, somebody pushed the wrong button   - oh dear. Hope they don�t make the same mistake at the launching sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Times like that it makes one glad to be at the backside end of the planet eh Kev?

Incidentally, great response Tom :coffee:. The only other thing you could do is put your head between your legs and kiss your ar** goodbye.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 09:26:15 PM »
Times like that it makes one glad to be at the backside end of the planet eh Kev?

Unfortunately there is no backside end on the planet these days.
When I found that out; it scared the bejeezuz out of me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_Flight_85
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 04:05:58 PM »
That's why it's important to be within 5 minutes of a bar... :boozing:

I'm with twowings on this one...Incoming Ballisitic missile heading my way???!!!???

I want to be near a bar and toast to the good life I have lived already...because I don't want to be around after a nuclear holocaust... :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: 

They say only two species will survive and thrive...."cockroaches and spiders" and I hate them both!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :huh: :huh:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 04:11:37 PM »
 :1:  The only thing to do was wait it out since I was at a high school event. 

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 04:12:36 PM »
:1:  The only thing to do was wait it out since I was at a high school event.

God forbid it ever happens to anyone...anywhere.. .but seriously...what can you really do?!? :shocked: :shocked:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 04:21:16 PM »
"cockroaches and spiders"

I've always thought it would be cockroaches and Guzzis.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 04:31:16 PM »
If it was real they said it would only take the missile 20 minutes to reach Hawaii from N. Korea unless it was shot down on the way.  If it really happened I too wouldn't want to live thru it.   :evil:  No N. Koreans would live thru it either.  :thumb:

There was a pro golf tournament going on on Oahu when the word got out and some golfers were calling home and telling their wives where all their legal/financial papers were etc. since they were not going to be around soon any more.  :sad:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:38:01 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 04:33:14 PM »
When Jays says "some freezing rain and an inch of snow" Louisville, Ky goes into panic mode.  They treat weather in My area as a coming crisis every day.  Everyone laughs and makes fun of the Weather Guy's and how excited they get days in advance of a change in weather.

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 04:36:32 PM »
God forbid it ever happens to anyone...anywhere.. .but seriously...what can you really do?!? :shocked: :shocked:

Nun-Teacher said, grab your biggest book, go to hall, sit against the wall with the book over our head and pray.  Little Kids will believe anything.

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2018, 04:48:33 PM »
It's snowing in Memphis, bombing in Hawaii and cold as hell here.

I wish winter were over.   
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:49:31 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2018, 04:50:38 PM »
I remember the Dominican nuns...and the drills... and these signs... in the basement of St. Mary's School (grades 1-6) in Poughkeepsie, NY, where I grew up... in the early 60's... :shocked: :rolleyes: 

Again, the wet dream of the decade during the Cold War... :laugh: :wink:

fast image hosting

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2018, 04:51:28 PM »
It's snowing in Memphis, bombing in Hawaii and cold as hell here.

I wish winter were over.

Yeah , I agree  :rolleyes: Come on guys , the system malfunctioned , nothing to see here .

Dusty

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
Word has it that the guy responsible got reassigned job duties.  He wouldn't get fired for a mistake.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »
Word has it that the guy responsible got reassigned job duties.  He wouldn't get fired for a mistake.

It happened during a shift change and a guy pushed the wrong button.........so what?   Nobody's perfect.   Bet he's a union worker.

Online Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 05:03:33 PM »
Y'ep union state and all state workers are part of a union.  Job duties can be reassigned.  So as long as he doesn't do it again.  :tongue:

canuck750

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 06:16:59 PM »
This reminds me of the book that came out a couple years ago "Command and Control" and the documentary of the same name that came after on Front Line.

The book covers a wide range of near misses cumulating with the Damascus incident in Arkansas at a Titan Two silo.

The incident in Hawaii this weekend scared a lot of people but there was no real threat of harm, the incidents reported in Command and Control were very serious and could have killed hundreds of thousands of people.

We have so much riding on humans doing the correct thing and remaining calm in what may be a crisis.

I still think of that Titan Two event from time to time and shudder at what could have been.

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 08:54:47 PM »
Yeah , I agree  :rolleyes: Come on guys , the system malfunctioned , nothing to see here .

Dusty

It's snowing in Cedar Vale and 17 7 degree here.

Saturday, looks like it will 67.    +50  60 from now.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 10:34:01 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2018, 09:18:05 PM »
Fortunately, it's more for a concussion than broken bones.

I think I'd rather have broken bones.  They heal better.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2018, 09:32:06 PM »
This reminds me of the book that came out a couple years ago "Command and Control" and the documentary of the same name that came after on Front Line.

The book covers a wide range of near misses cumulating with the Damascus incident in Arkansas at a Titan Two silo.

The incident in Hawaii this weekend scared a lot of people but there was no real threat of harm, the incidents reported in Command and Control were very serious and could have killed hundreds of thousands of people.

We have so much riding on humans doing the correct thing and remaining calm in what may be a crisis.

I still think of that Titan Two event from time to time and shudder at what could have been.

Is that when the military soldier? drops the wrench in the silo and the nuclear head gets blown down the road with just one killed?
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 07:29:47 AM »
The real deal mistake comes after the not real deal mistake...so, yeah, we dodged a bullet thank heavens. It'll be the overreaction to a fault or mistake..

See Dr. Strangelove...
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

canuck750

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 09:19:12 AM »
Is that when the military soldier? drops the wrench in the silo and the nuclear head gets blown down the road with just one killed?

Yep that's the one

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 10:29:20 AM »
Yep that's the one

This accident was recently broadcast on This American Life on NPR:

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/634/human-error-in-volatile-situations
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2018, 10:35:33 AM »
It's snowing in Cedar Vale and 17 7 degree here.

Saturday, looks like it will 67.    +50  60 from now.

it's even worse than I imagined. 

The horror.
John L 

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here