Author Topic: Should I be scared of a plastic tank?  (Read 8988 times)

Offline VeganJeff

• New Egg
Should I be scared of a plastic tank?
« on: January 17, 2018, 03:37:54 PM »
Good local deal on a 2010 V7 Classic. The price tag is much easier to sell to the Mrs than a newer one but I am scared of the plastic fuel tank. Is it that big of a deal? Anything I should look for? I kind of figure if it’s made it this long it may be one of the good ones...

I appreciate any insight! Thanks!

oldbike54

Re: Should I be scared of a plastic tank?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 03:53:18 PM »
 Memory says that ethanol may have been the cause of problems with the plastic tanks .

Oh , welcome to WG .

Dusty

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 04:08:58 PM »
Memory says that ethanol may have been the cause of problems with the plastic tanks .

Oh , welcome to WG .

Dusty

Having two bikes with plastic tanks, I use a generous "shot" of this religiously in both bikes at every fill up... :wink:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:13:27 PM »
The short answer is no.

Most V7 Classics are still humming along nicely with their plastic tanks. I only changed mine out for a metal tank at 164,000 km because I preferred the longer range. The old tank is still fine, though up on a shelf. Mind you, we in Oz don't have the same problem with ethanol as other juristictions. The plastic is around 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, heat & cold may distort the shape slightly, although I never actually noticed anything. The original problem was the chrome coating on the early Racer tanks - that chrome coating did not expend & contract with the tank itself and ended up cracking/peeling/de laminating. Without chrome you shouldn't have any problem. And there are many who prefer the 2 throttle body bikes over the 1TB (including some Guzzi mechanics).

If the price is good, I don't see how you can go wrong.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 04:13:27 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 04:21:21 PM »
Yeah, unlike some Ducati models that suffered badly with plastics I have heard few complaints about the V7 plastic tanks over the years.

I mean I don't think I've ever heard of a leak or even a visual distortion. Maybe there were one or two times where they were tough to remount after removal, that's it.

I wouldn't worry about it, but I would still prefer the greater capacity metal tank. Oh course that could always be retrofitted if desired.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:39:47 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 04:43:40 PM »
The short answer is no.

. The plastic is around 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, 

Seems excessive, does it weigh more than steel one ?

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 05:07:33 PM »
 :1: on not worrying on the plastic gas tank.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 05:34:10 PM »
Seems excessive, does it weigh more than steel one ?

At least when empty, they seem similar - I'll take the scales up to the shed & weigh both & see. For me, the longer range was worth it.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline slowmover

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Locked in the arms of a crazy life
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 05:44:00 PM »
I would agree if it's made it this long you are probably ok. I had a new 2010 Classic and after a couple months it developed a 1 inch bubble on the side that was replaced under warranty.I wonder where that bike is today.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 05:45:32 PM »
I would agree if it's made it this long you are probably ok. I had a new 2010 Classic and after a couple months it developed a 1 inch bubble on the side that was replaced under warranty.I wonder where that bike is today.
Well that's one distortion... Lol
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 05:50:02 PM »
I have had 3 maxi-scooters and 2 MCs(750 Breva, MuZ 660) with plastic tanks for many years with no regrets riding them all over the western half of the USA.  :bow:  No rust or vapor worries (heat)  what so ever either.   :thumb:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 05:54:39 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 06:35:47 PM »
Stay away from a plastic tank.  My experience is with a Ducati Multistrada (2 tanks) a Norge (ready for a second tank when I sold it) and a Stelvio (needed tank #3 when sold).  The plastic tanks tend to have problems with the embedded brass inserts (Multi, Norge, Stelvio) as well as swelling.  The multi got to the point where I could not get the attachment bolts to match up with the frame.  The same problem was starting to happen with the Stelvio.  I cannot prove that ethanol is the problem but that makes the most sense to me.

In my research I found that there are two types of plastic used in fuel tanks.  Nylon and (????)my addled brain cannot remember the name of the alternative plastic..  One tends to swell with water/ethanol and the other cannot be painted.  Ducati finally went the route of non swelling plastic with a decorative cover. I'll never buy another bike with a plastic tank.

You might have a solution if you buy the Classic and fit a later, metal, tank.  Then you will have the best of both worlds.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2018, 08:09:02 PM »
I only put 93 octane NON-ethanol fuel in my 2010 Cafe Classic.  No issues with the plastic tank.  There was a recall performed regarding some breather or something like that.  You might want to call a dealer with the VIN and see if it was performed.

No worry about rust in the tank either.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2018, 08:29:07 PM »
The Scura had a plastic tank, the tiger does too. never had a problem.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline nwrydre

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2018, 09:21:00 PM »
I just went through this decision making process when I bought my new mg Griso. No problems so far.  There are precautions you can take to minimize potential problems.  Leave your tank full when not in use, treat ethanol fuel or, find a filling station that sells pure gas.  Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2018, 09:31:44 PM »
I have no experience with a 2010 V7 Classic, but do have experience with other plastic tank Guzzi models: V11 Sport tanks bubble very often and Centauro tanks deform to the point that they are difficult to install.  Very common problems on those in my experience, as with the Ducatis which are plagued with tank problems.

MZ Skorpion tanks also distort with 21st century pump gasoline until they will no longer fit.

The solution used by Italian manufacturers now is a nylon tank with a painted cover, or a metal tank - which I think remains the best answer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 09:37:56 PM by Tusayan »

Offline VeganJeff

• New Egg
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 09:58:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies! I’m still split but I think I’ll go check it out this weekend.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 10:20:52 PM »
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful replies! I’m still split but I think I’ll go check it out this weekend.
You might note that no one with a smallblock Guzzi (V7 or Breva 750) told you to stay away from the tank.

Only people with other models (big blocks) or brands with different plastic tanks.

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline zebraranger

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2018, 10:21:22 PM »
I only put 93 octane NON-ethanol fuel in my 2010 Cafe Classic.  No issues with the plastic tank.

No worry about rust in the tank either.

I do the same with my Griso 1200, only use non ethanol fuel and I keep a 20 gal supply on hand in a fuel caddy. Wasn't going to let a plastic tank stop me from owning one of the best bikes Guzzi makes.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:26:54 PM by zebraranger »

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2018, 05:41:14 AM »
I do the same with my Griso 1200, only use non ethanol fuel and I keep a 20 gal supply on hand in a fuel caddy. Wasn't going to let a plastic tank stop me from owning one of the best bikes Guzzi makes.

I'm fortunate that my country gas station 1/2 mile up the road only sells NON-Ethanol fuel. 

Here in the humid south, I saw the plastic tank as a plus, but you do have to make sure it is venting correctly. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline twodogs

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2018, 06:03:03 AM »
I picked up a 10 v7c for the wife in 2013, we only run non ethanol fuel, don't know what the first 3 owners ran, no issues so far, the only problem I had was remounting the tank when I had it off, she loves the bike  :boozing:
2-2023 Yamaha TW200
2022 Triumph 850 sport

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2018, 08:06:18 AM »
You might note that no one with a smallblock Guzzi (V7 or Breva 750) told you to stay away from the tank.

Only people with other models (big blocks) or brands with different plastic tanks.

This.
And what’s the worst that can happen, you have to buy a later metal tank? If the price is right, I’d go for it.

My Norge tank has expanded over the last 10 years and it hasn’t been a problem but I did buy a NOS tank for chump change on eBay just in case.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2018, 08:12:44 AM »
Just one observation.

If you find that your CARC bikes tank has grown about 1/8" so you can't get the securing bolt back in - LUBE YOUR MOUNTING RUBBERS and it'll slide right on

Ask me how I worked that out

2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Thunderbutt

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 08:28:54 AM »
I have three bikes with plastic tanks, '02-LeMans, '03 Aprilia, and an '08 Norge.  The LeMans stays at our place in Georgia and exposed to the greater temperature/humidity swings and has not shown any indication of swelling or blistering of the painted surface.
The Norge and Aprilia stay down here in Florida so they are always in a humid atmosphere.  The Aprilia began to show signs of expansion, mounting holes wouldn't line up after routine maintenance. From that point on I only use non-ethanol fuel when possible and if the bike is going to be parked for any length of time, I top it off with non-ethanol.  No further problems.
The Norge hasn't shown any problems at all, but there again, use non-ethanol when possible and when storing.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another bike with a plastic tank, just the non-ethanol when possible and be aware of the potential problems with the ethanol gas if your not going to use the bike for any length of time.
Current rides: 2000 V-11 Sport-SOLD, 2003 Aprilia Mille Haga Replica #125, 1975 Triumph T160, 2002 LeMans, 2008 Norge aka the silver bullet

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 12:17:39 PM »
Just one observation.

If you find that your CARC bikes tank has grown about 1/8" so you can't get the securing bolt back in - LUBE YOUR MOUNTING RUBBERS and it'll slide right on

Ask me how I worked that out

I tried that, but mine is way past an 1/8 of an inch. There was a time when i could see some of the mounting nut, but now it is no longer visible.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Online bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 12:33:09 PM »
Whatever was going to happen to the tank has already taken place.   If it looks ok and doesn't leak your good.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »
You guys who say you only use non ethanol gas, what about when on road trips? I also attempted to use the good stuff but it’s hard as heck to find in many parts of the country. Are there certain stations who always has it?

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 01:11:15 PM »
You guys who say you only use non ethanol gas, what about when on road trips? I also attempted to use the good stuff but it�s hard as heck to find in many parts of the country. Are there certain stations who always has it?

I don't even listen to them because they live in a world I cannot fathom.

It's nearly impossible to find non-ethanol in my state or any of the states surrounding it.

And even when it is supposedly available no-one has ever explained to me what happens when seasonal winter-formulated fuel is supposed to be used (by law) which is basically ethanol also.

No to mention I've seen VERY few problems with regards to plastic tanks (my B11 developed a small indent at the top corner after a few years of using almost only ethanol, and THEN it was right after I tried an octane boost for something else, so it might have had nothing to do with the pump gas anyway).

So who knows if the ethanol itself is even the culprit... or is it the ethanol combined with other ambient conditions (humid weather, stored outside, heat and cold cycles, etc.).

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2018, 03:23:05 PM »
My 03 Breva 750 has had no problems.

We don't have ethanoil in our neck of the woods , which by the sounds of it may help.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline nwryder

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2018, 03:24:06 PM »
I tried that, but mine is way past an 1/8 of an inch. There was a time when i could see some of the mounting nut, but now it is no longer visible.
I have read in other threads that some guys are removing their tanks, drying them out, and storing them inside (a warm place) during winter months and they’ve shrunk back to their normal shape. Dunno if it works. But food for thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here