Author Topic: Hepco & Becker Orbit Hard Side Cases for V7II - opinions  (Read 3147 times)

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
Hepco & Becker Orbit Hard Side Cases for V7II - opinions
« on: January 17, 2018, 06:49:06 PM »
Do any of you have these cases? Thoughts?

These are my leading contender at this point. I know they are not really big at 22 liters but that size should work OK for a 4-5 day trip.... I think.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Hepco & Becker Orbit Hard Side Cases for V7II - opinions
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »
I don't have the Orbit side cases (I was actually unaware of them till I just looked them up), BUT I do have the HB Orbit Topcase on my RK.

It's a decent bag and seemed a high value for the dollar. The real advantage for me was the mounting matched my rack best.

I see you would use the C-Bows for the side cases and they seem like they are built similar to the topcase.

So if there's one downside or complaint, if they are the same as the topcase, you need to use the key to open it and it needs to be locked to be secured to the rack.

Frankly, I rarely lock the rest of my HB bags and I like that I can pop them open without a key. So it's a small downside on the Orbit Topcase.

Of course I only use the Orbit on my RK and I have two cavernous side bags that pop open without a key so it doesn't bother me.

But I bet it would in my V7.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 10:37:22 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Demar

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 10:28:20 PM »
Kev M, Thanks for the input. My Stelvio side cases only close with the key. That's not a problem. The Orbits are for my daughter's V7 Special. I was wondering about size/quality. She did get the C-bow mounts so we are locked in to whatever fit's them.

I usually have a tail bag for quick access w/o the key.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 10:40:34 PM »
Kev M, Thanks for the input. My Stelvio side cases only close with the key. That's not a problem. The Orbits are for my daughter's V7 Special. I was wondering about size/quality. She did get the C-bow mounts so we are locked in to whatever fit's them.

I usually have a tail bag for quick access w/o the key.
We'll I'd expect quality to be right up there with my topcase or all my HB Junior side and topcases.

Size does sound in the small side, probably close to the LeatherLykes on my Sporty.

How big is big enough? That's very personal. Jenn can travel for a week out of a single soft tailbag strapped to the rear of her Ducati. I couldn't... Then again all my clothes are gear are twice as big as hers lol.

And your daughter could always strap a bag on the passenger seat right?

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 10:40:34 PM »

Moto

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 11:49:57 PM »
From af1racing's description, "Each box measures 16" x 12" x 8.5" inches." Multiplied together, that works out to 26.7 liters, not the 22 liters that H&B claims for the volume.

Multiplying each of af1's dimensions by 1 over the cube root of (26.7/22) gives about 15" x 11.25" x 8", which when multiplied together works out to 22.1 liters. These revised dimensions correspond to a simple box that has a volume of 22 liters and is roughly the same shape. (The actual Orbit saddlebag is irregular, with a big indentation for the handle.) You could fold a simple box out of cardboard using these dimensions to get a very good idea of what capacity you're buying.

By comparison, my Griso's OEM soft bags, when extended, measure the about the same 15" x 11" x 8", but lose a little volume because they are trapezoidal. I find them useful, but decidedly cramped, on long trips. (So I also take a small tank bag, and a seat bag if I'm camping.) If you happen to be familiar with the Griso soft bags, they give a good idea of the volume. If you want useful carrying capacity without spoiling the lines of the motorcycle with full-size luggage, I'd say they would fill the bill.

I think, by the way, that the Orbits would go well on a Griso, which is why I took the trouble of working out a comparison. It would be great to have waterproof bags, which is what H&B claim they are (and what the OEM Griso bags definitely are not).

Moto

EDIT: Here's a revealing video of the Orbits mounted on a Yamaha. It has cooled my enthusiasm for them, sadly:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQi5tyU-dNk.

Note the stamped load limit of 3kg and speed limit of 130 km/h. That's 6.6 pounds and 81 mph in the USA.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 08:53:04 AM by Moto »

Offline Jackr

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 09:31:56 AM »
I�ve had my HB Orbit cases with C-bow mounts for about a year and they work for me. Even though small (and they are small), if I�m not camping, I have learned to make do with these cases. I was used to the much larger Givi luggage (45L capacity) mounted on my Jackal, so when I purchased the HB Orbit cases, I committed to a lighter traveling style, in my mind something like ultra-light camping. I reviewed my list of �necessary� gear and made some serious adjustments. I now ride with a new, lighter style. I have been reinforced in my belief that it doesn�t take much for me to have a good time when I�m on the road on a motorcycle. As I mentioned, for me this applies only if not camping. When camping I strap a large Helen Two Wheels sack across the fender in back of the seat and I can take damn near anything, like the old days. The sack greatly increases carrying capacity, but I�ve come to enjoy and appreciate my ability to depart for a road trip packed light, carrying the minimum, feeling agile and in control on the Roamer.

Jackr

Offline Demar

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 02:00:11 PM »
Thanks all for posting your comments and pictures... they've helped a lot. They look pretty good on the V9!

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Jackr

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 02:40:31 PM »
To follow up on my previous comments concerning my HB Orbit cases: The latch system on these cases takes some interior room away from what looks from afar like a fully open interior. For example, I cannot put an unopened 12 pack in one of these cases. I remove one can and put it on the side of the 12 pack, crush down the cardboard where it meets the interior latch, and the latch works. There is enough room for 12 cans, but not evenly arranged in a packaged 12 pack. Not a biggie, but I mention it for informational purposes. Most things I pack (rain suit, clothes, etc), can be scrunched up and made to fit.  Also I do not concern myself with the stated weight limits or top speed limitations recommended by HB. The cases are small enough that I doubt I�m getting too much more weight that prescribed, but I pack them as I need to and ride on. As for the prescribed speed limitations while using these cases, I have experienced no issues since I�ve had them and I regularly exceed the advised speed limit. The speed limit for me, the bike, and any thing hanging on it is how fast the V9 will go. Over 20k miles and so far no issues with the HB Orbit hard cases.

Offline Demar

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 03:02:20 PM »
For example, I cannot put an unopened 12 pack in one of these cases. I remove one can and put it on the side of the 12 pack, crush down the cardboard where it meets the interior latch, and the latch works. There is enough room for 12 cans, but not evenly arranged in a packaged 12 pack. Not a biggie, but I mention it for informational purposes.

Awesome..... the classic measurement by 12-pack!  That actually paints a good mental picture of the size/shape of the case interior.

Thanks for the info  :thumb:

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

bpreynolds

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2018, 07:12:18 AM »
My comments here would almost constitute troll but have you given a thought to HB semi-rigid stuff?  I’ll be the first to tell you that HB hard stuff is some of if not the best in the business; yet, about 5 years ago I gave up on hard luggage, went the semi-rigid route and I’m never going back.  I first started with my former ‘11 Stelvio because the thing was just too top heavy for me already, so I was trying to find weight savings in any manner I could.  Since then, I just love it. 
53A27376-4E03-4095-995F-FDEFED29C8AD by Brian, on Flickr

twowings

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 05:00:56 PM »
Those look mighty sharp!

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2018, 05:43:28 AM »
Yes, they do!  I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would like to see the inside of those cases, bpreynolds.  Would you mind posting some pictures to your V7 III thread?  Thanks!

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

bpreynolds

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2018, 07:44:50 AM »
Yes, they do!  I don't want to hijack this thread, but I would like to see the inside of those cases, bpreynolds.  Would you mind posting some pictures to your V7 III thread?  Thanks!

Sarah

Will do.  Gonna get out there and work a bit on the bike today while it’s warmed up so I’ll take some pictures then.  To the OP, you can’t go wrong with HB no matter you get the soft or the hard luggage but I do recall the very first ride on my previous Jackal where I realized that wow, the hard mounts and the bags do weigh a good bit.  I had cleaned the bike up with the boxes off, took it out for a spin to air dry it and while I was out I was like “whoa nelly” I can really feel the difference.  Not a tremendous amount but I personally can really feel it whereas all my bikes prior to that had hard HB stuff.  But, of course, you get all the benefits of the hard luggage otherwise - generally more storage, more protection, etc.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2018, 08:37:14 AM »
When I have side opening cases I find it very useful to have soft luggage liners to keep everything organized.  Nothing worse than opening side opening luggage and have stuff tumble out.

I have GIVI V35 bags that I have used on 3 different bikes over the past 11 years.  They are not enough to carry what I need on a trip.  Especially if I am camping.  I usually need a top case and/or a large dry bag strapped onto the passenger seat.

If you are going to carry all the common items and your daughter only carry her personal essentials you might be able to get away with those bags.  Or if you are staying in a one climate riding area during your trip.  Just my different riding layers can take up one saddlebag.

2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2018, 11:59:08 AM »

Will do.  Gonna get out there and work a bit on the bike today while it’s warmed up so I’ll take some pictures then.  To the OP, you can’t go wrong with HB no matter you get the soft or the hard luggage but I do recall the very first ride on my previous Jackal where I realized that wow, the hard mounts and the bags do weigh a good bit.  I had cleaned the bike up with the boxes off, took it out for a spin to air dry it and while I was out I was like “whoa nelly” I can really feel the difference.  Not a tremendous amount but I personally can really feel it whereas all my bikes prior to that had hard HB stuff. 

Maybe it's the difference in our sizes but I've never felt the difference in weight with our without the HB bags installed on any of my Guzzis (Jackal, B11, or V7).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here