Author Topic: V7III Carbon in production right now!  (Read 13440 times)

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: V7III Carbon in production right now!
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 02:29:21 PM »

The whole point of carbon fibre is...it also looks good in moderation

Exactly...

but using it on a Guzzi is really a bit of a wank.

Meh
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2018, 03:19:02 PM »

Exactly...

Meh
They just want to sell BIKES !!!!

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2018, 03:23:21 PM »
They just want to sell BIKES !!!!

Limiting production as a way of selling more?  The logic escapes me.

I've been trying to write a comment that both reflects my opinion of the bike and is suitable for the forum.  I can't.  So I'll just say that if the "Carbon" sells its 1920 units it's proof that there's a seat for every ass.   I'm betting that even after intentionally limiting production they'll need heavy discounts to clear the showroom.

And a general comment -- Carbon Fiber is the new simichrome.  The new vinyl top on the fake convertible.  The plastic wood panels on an AMC pacer.  The playing card in the spokes.  It serves the same  purposelessness with none of the visual appeal. 

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »
I must be getting really old.....I though "Carbon" meant Carbon Fiber.

So where's the Carbon Fiber?

My '03 Rosso Corsa has Carbon fiber parts.

My question is - is it real carbon fiber or just a fake carbon fiber look plastic?  I have been seeing a lot of fake carbon fiber on cars these days.  Real carbon fiber parts should be replacing metal or fiberglass parts; I doubt there is a huge weight difference between real carbon fiber and plastic. 

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 03:32:10 PM »
I just want the red head covers, and maybe the seat.  I think they’d compliment Anni nicely.  :thumb: :thumb:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

oldbike54

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 03:36:40 PM »
 Fine then , we just won't send you Ozzies any of the Carbon thingies then . Take that ya cantankerous old so and so's  :laugh:

Dusty

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 03:37:26 PM »
I think the valve covers look like someone t-boned a baboon's ass and it stuck.  But it does look better than the Burger King hats on the 1400.

pete roper

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 03:43:42 PM »
I just want the red head covers, and maybe the seat.  I think they�d compliment Anni nicely.  :thumb: :thumb:

If you were to buy the rocker covers as a spare they'll probably be absurdly expensive as they will, like most of the other dross that Piaggio are spruiking to 'Customise' the smallblocks, be sold as 'Special' parts for a 'Limited Edition' model.

Thing is paint or powder coat are cheap! You can have your rocker covers any colour you like just by taking them off and taking them to a paint shop or powder coater.

Because I've never worked on one I'm not sure whether the rocker covers are sealed around the bolts with copper washers like the V7/II's or rubber tampons like the 8V's? If the latter then probably just about any old paint would probably do as the covers won't get that hot. If they use copper washers though it will probably need something a bit more heat resistant.

Pete

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 04:00:34 PM »
I am still waiting on my v85😇

Offline Devildog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2018, 04:46:46 PM »
I am still waiting on my v85😇
The title of this thread got me excited, but I would like to see some product evolution, so I am also 'patiently' waiting for the V85 models, or a more 'modern' V9.
'93 Daytona 1000
'95 Sport 1100
'98 Ducati 900 SS Final Edition
2002 Aprilia RSV Mille R
'10 GasGas e250 FE

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2018, 05:05:20 PM »
2010 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100...in black.  I have been told by several long-time Guzzi mechanics / dealers that the 1100 Breva was one of "the best all around Guzzi's" every made... :cool: :1: :thumb:

Should been available in beige!

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2018, 05:37:37 PM »
I think the valve covers look like someone t-boned a baboon's ass and it stuck.  But it does look better than the Burger King hats on the 1400.
HA-HA!  That wasn't the kind of "pop" I was looking for. :shocked:

If you were to buy the rocker covers as a spare they'll probably be absurdly expensive as they will, like most of the other dross that Piaggio are spruiking to 'Customise' the smallblocks, be sold as 'Special' parts for a 'Limited Edition' model.

Thing is paint or powder coat are cheap! You can have your rocker covers any colour you like just by taking them off and taking them to a paint shop or powder coater.

Because I've never worked on one I'm not sure whether the rocker covers are sealed around the bolts with copper washers like the V7/II's or rubber tampons like the 8V's? If the latter then probably just about any old paint would probably do as the covers won't get that hot. If they use copper washers though it will probably need something a bit more heat resistant.

Pete

Yes, I agree that MG likes to rake its buyers over the coals for "Genuine Moto Guzzi Accessories".  I didn't consider painting the stock covers for fear of mucking up the job and making them look worse in the long run.

As far as the washers go, I took this image from the Service Station Manual, and I didn't what you referenced.  However, I freely admit to being clueless about what I should be looking for, and would love a lesson if you're willing.  :bow:

image hosting cdn

"Miri" and Mori"

pete roper

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2018, 05:46:21 PM »
The pics don't actually show what seals the covers around the bolts that hold them down. The 'Tampons', (It's what they are called, it's the Italian word for 'Plug') are like a *Rubber*, (Most likely Nitrile.) washer arrangement that compresses to seal between the bolt head and the cover.

If the V9's and V7-III's use a 'Rubber' gasket to seal the cover proper then they will probably use tampons. If they are still using the coated metal type gaskets they'll probably of stuck with copper washers.

Pete

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2018, 05:47:41 PM »
HA-HA!  That wasn't the kind of "pop" I was looking for. :shocked:

Yes, I agree that MG likes to rake its buyers over the coals for "Genuine Moto Guzzi Accessories".  I didn't consider painting the stock covers for fear of mucking up the job and making them look worse in the long run.

As far as the washers go, I took this image from the Service Station Manual, and I didn't what you referenced.  However, I freely admit to being clueless about what I should be looking for, and would love a lesson if you're willing.  :bow:

image hosting cdn

Question is, do these valve covers make my ass look big?

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2018, 06:42:41 PM »
I don't want a V750 III!  I want a bike that looks like the V750 III with a big block engine, comfortable suspension, and .... that's about it.  What's next from Guzzi  ........ a V1100 III based on the small block?  Come on, Guzzi, just how much stress can the small block withstand?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 06:43:27 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: January 19, 2018, 06:59:56 PM »
I don't want a V750 III!  I want a bike that looks like the V750 III with a big block engine, comfortable suspension, and .... that's about it.  What's next from Guzzi  ........ a V1100 III based on the small block?  Come on, Guzzi, just how much stress can the small block withstand?

Well, I for love the small block.  Don't need no stinkin giant lump.  Light weight and efficient for me, and the Matris suspension front and rear made it all most comfortable.  Big gas tank, decent fuel economy, big twists of the wrists, smooth riding, easy maintenance, what is not to love?

If I long for 120hp in a twin with $1,000 services I will buy another BMW.

Offline DaSwami

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #46 on: January 19, 2018, 07:19:52 PM »
Nope, not all, just some. Thanks for sticking your hand up.

My opinion is as valid as anyone else's. Sorry if it wads your panties.

Eh, I know a lot of the people here think you are ridgey-didge, but from where I sit you just have tickets on yourself.  Dunno why you have to be so abrasive, maybe you have a head like a dropped pie, you're just a straight up bogan, have a  few roos loose in the top paddock, you post while on the cans..... or all of the above? 

Taking little jabs without giving someone a fair shake of the sauce bottle just makes you look like a flaming galah, mate.  Fair dinkum!

Civility....have a go, ya mug.  You can do it.

Hoooroo.......

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2018, 07:27:43 PM »
Well, I for love the small block.  Don't need no stinkin giant lump.  Light weight and efficient for me, and the Matris suspension front and rear made it all most comfortable.  Big gas tank, decent fuel economy, big twists of the wrists, smooth riding, easy maintenance, what is not to love?

If I long for 120hp in a twin with $1,000 services I will buy another BMW.
I don't recall my 1200 Sport requiring $1000 services.  What's not to love?  An old design that is still getting stretched?

My thoughts anyway.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:51:07 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

oldbike54

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2018, 07:39:49 PM »
 OK fellas , ease off , let's back off the personal stuff . Seriously .

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2018, 08:28:02 PM »
I see both sides of the big block and smallblock thing.

I liked the effortless power and tough as an anvil feel of my big blocks.

The Jackal was a fantastic handling, all day riding, type of do anything (on-road) kinda bike. The B11 took it a step further with more of everything which was good.

Unfortunately for me both left me wanting for reliability in the end, and subjectively both were lacking in the looks/identity department.

The smallblock has the simplicity, soul, subjectively the looks I wanted, all in a lightweight package that happily dances in the twisties even better than the big girls.

But some decry the basic chassis (largely suspension and some of the cost cutting ancillary bits). And then there's the ever present elephant in the room, POWA!

When is there enough power?!? If the it's what you want it's enough, the second it's not what you want we question if it's tough enough. Is it mechanically weak, stressed, not gonna last...?

There's always a lighter bike, a faster bike, a more comfortable bike, a more dependable bike, hell a better looking bike.

It's actually ALL subjective, and comes down to what you want more.

I actually understand the people who want something between the Cali 1400 and the V7/V9 and/or something more sporting.

That said there's a lot to like in the current models. But that's easy for me to say because the ergos, styling, hell even the overall performance priorities are more in line with my desires.

So it still comes down to what you give a crap about. But I could do fine with nothing in my garage but a few of the current models.

Anyway, there's way too much angst and hand wringing over matters of taste (like carbon fiber, does this bike deserve it, is it REAL enough in terms of performance [emoji849]).

Ironically I've got an acquaintance who lives in Italy and rides a Sportster who often says "matters of taste must not be discussed". And I take it that it's a common phrase in Italy.

I find it ironic since my Italian relatives are passionate and always ready for a debate. But maybe that's from where the phrase came in the first place.

I dunno, but it seems silly...
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 09:29:03 PM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2018, 08:51:43 PM »
Now THIS was very entertaining to read.   Wish we were all in the same room with beer.  No photos, please............. .......
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2018, 09:09:35 PM »
I just want the red head covers, and maybe the seat.  I think they�d compliment Anni nicely.  :thumb: :thumb:

You could be right about the covers looking good on an Anni.  They draw attention to the unique engine configuration which is cool. 

Striping the paint/coating off the OEM head covers on the Anni and finishing them in a satin finish might look good too.  I like the various shiny metal finishes on the Anni, including the polished SS on the Agostini pipes on mine.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2018, 09:25:45 PM »
Now THIS was very entertaining to read.   Wish we were all in the same room with beer.  No photos, please............. .......
No photos of what?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

pete roper

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2018, 09:41:05 PM »
I'm currently really enjoying

It's much better out of glass than a can.

Pete

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2018, 09:44:25 PM »
I'm currently really enjoying

It's much better out of glass than a can.

Pete
OOOOOOOHHH, new argument ... Is beer better stored in glass or metal....

Or maybe you meant poured from metal to glass and have thus disarmed me. [emoji56]
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

pete roper

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2018, 10:02:06 PM »
Nah, s'better out of a bottle. Tinnies suck!  :boozing:

Here! Something absolutely disgusting dropped into my email inbox! It was some sort of 'Promotion' for a new Budweiser product called 'Prohibition'. It's apparently a 'Beer' with no alcohol in it! Leaving aside the fact that if it's a Bud product it's not really a beer anyway what the hell is the point of a beer with no alcohol in it?! It would be like a hot sauce with no chilli in it! Utterly pointless!

The weirdest thing about the promotion though was it was from Tesco! Which is a British supermarket chain! Why in heaven they would be wanting someone half a world away to get excited about cans of flavourless brown water I have no idea! What was even more ridiculous was that it seemed they actually expected me to separate myself from the princely sum of over £2 Sterling for a can of this rubbish!

Laugh? I soaked the seat! Asking a Guzzi owner to pay over £2 for a can of anything is unlikely to have a positive outcome! Asking them to do it for a 'Not-a-beer' is a rapid elevator to insolvency and financial ruin!

Outrageous!

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2018, 10:08:30 PM »

Nah, s'better out of a bottle. Tinnies suck!  :boozing:

Uh, so you don't like draft beer?

You do remember that kegs are metal right?!?

On the rest I agree... Vehemently!

Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2018, 10:09:08 PM »
I've been trying to write a comment that both reflects my opinion of the bike and is suitable for the forum.  I can't.  So I'll just say that if the "Carbon" sells its 1920 units it's proof that there's a seat for every ass.   I'm betting that even after intentionally limiting production they'll need heavy discounts to clear the showroom.

And a general comment -- Carbon Fiber is the new simichrome.  The new vinyl top on the fake convertible.  The plastic wood panels on an AMC pacer.  The playing card in the spokes.  It serves the same  purposelessness with none of the visual appeal.

Hahaha...Perfect!

I don't know what company was first to sell a finished vehicle in what is basically primer, but I'm guessing they had a good laugh. Sorry, but I can make any bike look like that with two rattle cans and a couple of beers. It doesn't look "custom" , it looks cheap.
" Hey... I just refinished the BBQ, and have some extra rustoleum... Roll the bike over here! "
Don't be offended if your motorcycle gets pelted with hot dogs.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline HarveyMushman

• Gosling
    • Photo Galleries
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2018, 10:10:39 PM »
OOOOOOOHHH, new argument ... Is beer better stored in glass or metal....

Or maybe you meant poured from metal to glass and have thus disarmed me. [emoji56]

I'm not one to worry too much how it's stored.  How it's poured is more interesting.  Into a glass, and into my maw, is best. 

Having parked my Stelvio for a few minutes to test a V7 III Stone a few months ago, I can say I appreciated the small block and wouldn't mind one in my garage if it came to that, which isn't something I would have said about previous small-blocks.  But part of the charm (for me!) was the utter lack of pretense, which is lost with the many cost-plus variants Piaggio likes to hustle on us.  I'm in no hurry.  I'm plenty happy with the Stelvio. 
Tim

Offline Guzzi Gal

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2018, 10:15:36 PM »
The pics don't actually show what seals the covers around the bolts that hold them down. The 'Tampons', (It's what they are called, it's the Italian word for 'Plug') are like a *Rubber*, (Most likely Nitrile.) washer arrangement that compresses to seal between the bolt head and the cover.

If the V9's and V7-III's use a 'Rubber' gasket to seal the cover proper then they will probably use tampons. If they are still using the coated metal type gaskets they'll probably of stuck with copper washers.

Pete

Are they #4?  A cursory part number search yielded the name "buffer damper" with no mention as to what they (or the gasket) is made of. 

If I don't ask, I can't learn.  :azn:

:1: Thank you, Pete, for humoring me. :thumb:

"Miri" and Mori"

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here