Author Topic: fuel filter blues  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Ronkom

• Gaggle Hero
    • Virginia Moto Guzzi Owners Club
fuel filter blues
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »
The manual for my old '98 EV called for changing the fuel filter every 11K miles, given the size of the thing I thought that was ridicules, so I changed it about every 30K. I have no manual for the V11 Sport I'm working on, but it's a 2000, so I figure the spec is the same. The bike only has 13,767 miles on the clock, but it is going on 18 years old, so, as part of the "going through" I'm giving it I decided to put in a fresh filter.
I left the house this morning w/my list of filters that will work (45 of them!!!), & headed for the auto parts store. I put the list on the counter & said "I'll take one of any of these you have in stock" Much head scratching, mumbling, & computer clicking later...."we don't have any in stock"..."but I can have one here by late this afternoon" 2nd parts store.... same story-but he did invite me back in the parts bins & started pulling filters out of boxes "does it look like this?" W/the list I didn't figure I needed to bring the old one along for comparison, & I knew that some of the filters on the list needed a few wraps of duct tape for a good fit in the Guzzi mounting bracket. So if it wasn't on the list I wasn't about to take a chance on something that LOOKED like it might work. On to the 3rd parts store SAME story. 4th parts store (Advance Auto) had one on the list!!! FINALLY! It's a Purolator F50155. I get the gem home & find that it will indeed need the duct tape...but then I notice that the Weber filter on the Sport has hose barbs formed as part of the end caps on both ends, while my new Purolator has threaded holes...Sigh! now to dig through my boxes of tube fittings & come up w/two male threaded barbs w/the right size/pitch thread to take the right size fuel hose. Ain't life grand???
ronkom     
THE MOTRESYKLMAN
 Restore, Repair, Accessorize, Buy, Sell & Trade Exotic, Unusual, or Interesting Motorcycles. Guzzi Wrench 35+ years

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: fuel filter blues
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:44:12 PM »
Stuff like that isn't worth all the time and effort to search all over creation for. I'd have just ordered one ahead of time from MG Cycle and been done with it.

http://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=164_165&products_id=1172
Charlie

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: fuel filter blues
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:37:42 PM »
The fuel filter doesn't need replacing, run a bit of fuel into it with finger over the other end, shake it up then let the fuel run back out the INLET this will flush out anything.
Actually with the plastic tank I don't think you will find much, my EV was full of rust.

Sent from my shoe phone!
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here