Author Topic: 2015 California 1400 advise  (Read 14947 times)

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2015 California 1400 advise
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2018, 01:58:51 PM »
As a point of comparison, I was always looking just over the windshield on my EV. I'm just looking over the one on the 1400 as well. For my preferences, it is perfect.

I have the exact same one that comes on the Touring, although the Eldo does not come with one so I needed to add it.

I don't know if the shield on the Vintage is taller/shorter/same as the EV's, but I know it's a different style.

How ever many mentioned the "lowers", I second or third or whatever, what they said. They actually bring some air up behind and help with the low pressure. It didn't completely eliminate the buffeting, but it is tolerable. I have a modular helmet, and ride with the visor open, barring bad weather. It stays there just fine except for the big truck coming by stirring up the air flow. (Usually oncoming.) There is more I could do if I wanted. I bought an extension curved piece that I have as yet to put on due to its lack of aesthetic value. Having ridden a bike so equipped, was fantastic. Nice calm air. It really doesn't look that bad, I just cant decide to put it on since it isn't bad the way it is now.

This is what I got: http://www.laminarlip.com/california.php

John Henry

edit: I'm keeping a close eye on the weather as I near departure day for Cedar Vale. Depending on the forecast, I still might stick the laminar lip on. Don't know????

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 02:03:29 PM by Zoom Zoom »

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2018, 03:54:36 PM »
The pleasing sound is half the reason why I ride.
I do not think electric motorcycles will fulfill the satisfaction that a regular motorcycle gives.
The shifting gears, the vibration, and the sound all contribute to a very enjoyable motorcycle experience.
It seems like a great deal for a great bike.

Well put, Scott!   :grin:
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2018, 04:49:23 PM »
I have googled and cannot find any site that offers the accessories for the 1400 tourer. I’m pretty sure if I buy the 1400 I’m going to want a taller windshield and fork wind deflectors like I have on my CalVin. I can’t find nothing. I called the only dealer 100 miles from my location and ask about available accessories for the 1400 and was told they didn’t show them on their website and the only way to view them was to come to the dealership. What a crock of bull$#|+ !!

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2018, 05:01:07 PM »
Harpers offers the Swany fairing with choice of shield height.   Friend has one on his 15 Cal Tour and loves it.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2018, 05:01:07 PM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2018, 05:40:02 PM »
You will find the 14 accessories here Dan.

https://www.af1racing.com/store/ProdImages/st3/mgaccy.pdf
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 05:42:29 PM by lucian »

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #65 on: April 24, 2018, 05:52:31 PM »
That�s interesting on the tire issue as I was thinking the 200 series is more costly. So it�s safe to assume the 180 is acceptable and the tire height is about the same as not to throw off the speedometer?

The speedo difference is negligible 200/60 is 120 mm sidewall, the 180/65 is 117 mm.  I have not noticed a big difference in the accuracy of my speedo relative to the GPS.  And the tire selection goes up HUGE!

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: April 24, 2018, 06:48:01 PM »
The speedo difference is negligible 200/60 is 120 mm sidewall, the 180/65 is 117 mm.  I have not noticed a big difference in the accuracy of my speedo relative to the GPS.  And the tire selection goes up HUGE!
Excellent information!! The tire cost of the 200 series tires are quite sufficient!

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #67 on: April 25, 2018, 03:10:44 PM »
I realize I�m that guy who gets the wagon before horse but unless some unforeseen happening breaks the deal I�m going to be the proud owner of a 2015 California Touring SE. I already know from talking to a couple guys here that have these bikes, that the OEM windshield is not going to work for me as I look through a shield and not over it. I connected with a company in Canada that deals in the factory accessories for MG. Sit down before I tell you guys the price of an oversized factor MG shield for the 1400, ready, 630.00 US DOLLARS and no that does not include brackets. Now the good news. When I got my calvin I ordered a two inch taller windshield from  CLEARVIEW WINDSHIELDS which bolted right on and has preformed great for 2 years. Great tough hard to scratch shield. I paid 150 bucks for it. I contacted them today and was told they have just completed the making of a windshield for the 1400 tourer and will be available for order in a couple days. There is no price available as of today however the owner said it should of a small increase, if any, over the shields for the vintage. The best of my memory 2� taller shield was around 150.00 and the 3� taller 2� wider and tented shield was 200.00 bucks. Give them a call and ask for Lance and tell em NC Dan recommended them. Maybe I�ll get a discount 😂
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 03:13:32 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #68 on: April 25, 2018, 03:39:44 PM »
I realize I�m that guy who gets the wagon before horse but unless some unforeseen happening breaks the deal I�m going to be the proud owner of a 2015 California Touring SE. I already know from talking to a couple guys here that have these bikes, that the OEM windshield is not going to work for me as I look through a shield and not over it. I connected with a company in Canada that deals in the factory accessories for MG. Sit down before I tell you guys the price of an oversized factor MG shield for the 1400, ready, 630.00 US DOLLARS and no that does not include brackets. Now the good news. When I got my calvin I ordered a two inch taller windshield from  CLEARVIEW WINDSHIELDS which bolted right on and has preformed great for 2 years. Great tough hard to scratch shield. I paid 150 bucks for it. I contacted them today and was told they have just completed the making of a windshield for the 1400 tourer and will be available for order in a couple days. There is no price available as of today however the owner said it should of a small increase, if any, over the shields for the vintage. The best of my memory 2� taller shield was around 150.00 and the 3� taller 2� wider and tented shield was 200.00 bucks. Give them a call and ask for Lance and tell em NC Dan recommended them. Maybe I�ll get a discount 😂

Super, and good to know.  Are they under Clearview on the interwebs?

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2018, 04:27:09 PM »
Super, and good to know.  Are they under Clearview on the interwebs?
1-970-223-2301    I have been dealing with a feller, Lance,  you may have to leave a number but they will call you back.

Offline drbone641

• Gosling
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2018, 04:32:00 PM »
I have the windshield lowers which dropped 75% of the buffet and the Laminar Lip $84, which you can spend a few miles playing with, to get an excellent pocket of clean air. I love this bike.
73 TR6
09 Multistrada
16 Eldorado

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2018, 06:41:21 PM »
Good grief, for $630.00 there should be brackets and a tech to drop by your house to install it!

John Henry

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2018, 07:16:52 PM »
I'll make a comment on the windshield from the perspective of my EV.

I purchased the bike with Plexifairing 3.   This one had lowers on it and it was marvelous. Worked great.

Alas, the PF3 broke in two due to a crack and a direct replacement was no longer available.  So I purchased a Plexifairing 2, very similar but no lowers.  That one just buffeted terribly.  I was able to mitigate it my raising it to the max and sloping it to the max.  It's acceptable but not nearly as good as the PF3. 

If I were to do it again, I'd get the current PF3 and take a hairdryer and hacksaw to it and make it fit the EV.

But now, I might add lowers to my PF2 given from what I have learned here. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: April 25, 2018, 08:19:12 PM »
I'll make a comment on the windshield from the perspective of my EV.

I purchased the bike with Plexifairing 3.   This one had lowers on it and it was marvelous. Worked great.

Alas, the PF3 broke in two due to a crack and a direct replacement was no longer available.  So I purchased a Plexifairing 2, very similar but no lowers.  That one just buffeted terribly.  I was able to mitigate it my raising it to the max and sloping it to the max.  It's acceptable but not nearly as good as the PF

If I were to do it again, I'd get the current PF3 and take a hairdryer and hacksaw to it and make it fit the EV.

But now, I might add lowers to my PF2 given from what I have learned here.
I had the exact same setup on my 04 EV, the PF3 however the updraft wind in my face did not stop until I installed the fork wind deflectors. This is what completely stops updraft and creates that calm air space. On my Calvin I modified a set of Harley fork deflectors by turning them around backwards to put them behind the useless running lights which there is not enough power to pull.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: April 25, 2018, 09:13:27 PM »
Good luck on the test ride tomorrow :bike-037:

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2018, 10:13:43 AM »
The little sub-conscious voice on your shoulder "this is going to be awesome"...........  it's right!

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2018, 01:10:11 PM »
She’s mine all mine, now how to figure out how all this stuff works, y’all ready for the questions to roll as I can’t read the tiny print in the manual :(

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2018, 01:12:11 PM »
She�s mine all mine, now how to figure out how all this stuff works, y�all ready for the questions to roll as I can�t read the tiny print in the manual :(

As expected!  :thumb:
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Utrider

• Gosling
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2018, 01:16:46 PM »
She�s mine all mine, now how to figure out how all this stuff works, y�all ready for the questions to roll as I can�t read the tiny print in the manual :(

LOL, hands on.  I bought mine last year this time, after messing with things it will come to you.  The ride modes are controlled with the start button after the bike is running, that's a leap of faith the first time.

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2018, 07:20:06 PM »
For a small fee, we'll tell you how to turn on the cruise control. You have to have a slight breeze out of the North at 4.2 miles per hour and then........... :evil:

John Henry

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2018, 07:42:22 PM »
Lol, you guys are so much help ;).  With the assistance of wife and my buddy, John in VT, I got about half of the electronics figured out. The use of the starter button would have been impossible to figure out on ones own. Best I can figure at this time, the Touring mapp will be my full time mapp and the first traction setting will be fine and my 50+ ridding years experience should fill in the gaps.
The power this things has,  places it in the BEAST category, unfricking real!! Smooth beyond goldwing class, quite, and feels nimble, even at slow parking lot speeds with feet on the boards like in police training. I didn�t get to ride much today but I�ll keep erbody posted as I take rides. I had planed to keep the Calvin for a while to be sure I�ll like the 1400 enough to keep it but I�m pretty sure it�ll go on the market soon. Keep your ears open for someone who may be in the market for a low mileage 07 calvin.
Thanks for all the responses, advice, guidance and support guys. Y�all a bunch of gentleman and scholars l!!!! :)

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 07:47:25 PM by Ncdan »

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2018, 07:46:23 PM »
So which half ya still workin' on??

John Henry

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2018, 07:53:52 PM »
So which half ya still workin' on??

John Henry
I’m getting some numbers on the dashboard that’s in kM’s and I have no idea what they are referring to. I gave the trip meter, average mpg active mpg, volt meter, clock, all in US mode. Then the two KM readings. ??

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2018, 08:00:34 PM »
Congrats !  It's one of those bikes you have to ride to believe. One piece of advice,  take advantage of those big front brakes.  I made the mistake of relying too much on the rear because of the nice big pedal and because it is the first big bike I owned with a rear brake that actually works well. Anyhow I wore the rear pads out very quickly . Keep an eye on the rear pads, if they wear down enough the caliper pistons can cock and stick in the bores and your rear brake will be locked up. Don't ask how I know. :laugh   

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2018, 08:48:14 PM »
Lol, you guys are so much help ;).  With the assistance of wife and my buddy, John in VT, I got about half of the electronics figured out. The use of the starter button would have been impossible to figure out on ones own. Best I can figure at this time, the Touring mapp will be my full time mapp and the first traction setting will be fine and my 50+ ridding years experience should fill in the gaps.
The power this things has,  places it in the BEAST category, unfricking real!! Smooth beyond goldwing class, quite, and feels nimble, even at slow parking lot speeds with feet on the boards like in police training. I didn�t get to ride much today but I�ll keep erbody posted as I take rides. I had planed to keep the Calvin for a while to be sure I�ll like the 1400 enough to keep it but I�m pretty sure it�ll go on the market soon. Keep your ears open for someone who may be in the market for a low mileage 07 calvin.
Thanks for all the responses, advice, guidance and support guys. Y�all a bunch of gentleman and scholars l!!!! :)

told you so   :grin:
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #85 on: April 27, 2018, 09:39:36 AM »

Knew you would love it, and the 1400 with a Calvin is the perfect pair!  Ride safe you'll love it more and more.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 09:40:21 AM by vintagehoarder »
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

elvisboy77

« Reply #86 on: April 27, 2018, 01:44:14 PM »

Congrats!  But PLEASE try out VELOCE mode!  You will never go back.  It makes Turismo look tame.

Pics, please! :gotpics:

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #87 on: April 27, 2018, 03:27:35 PM »
I find veloce too sensitive for my taste.
Blue Guzz

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: April 27, 2018, 04:30:14 PM »
Dan, is your Cal Vin a black or a white model?

I'm, uh, just asking for a friend... :wink:
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #89 on: April 27, 2018, 08:19:48 PM »
Dan, is your Cal Vin a black or a white model?

I'm, uh, just asking for a friend... :wink:
Black, 12,000 miles, minstrel Hpipe, tall windshield, guzzi matching tail trunk, custom all day ride saddle, Beetle map, no cosmetic issues, near mint condition.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here