Author Topic: Distance addiction..  (Read 11422 times)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Distance addiction..
« on: April 22, 2018, 11:13:01 PM »
'Sort of occurred to me the other day while on a medium/long distance ride as a warm up for a lap of Oz, that there's a certain attraction that a 3,000 k ride has, that a 500 k ride done 6 times does not.
Personally I like the feeling of pulling up at a destination that you entered into the Tom Tom on the fly and trying to stretch out the kinks from a full day.
It's kinda' crazy, but I like the feeling of being stuffed..(cue the jokes)
I'm convinced that leaning against a tree with a can (or stubby) as the sun disappears over the horizon and hearing the final clicks of contracting Italian metal, while digesting the events of a big day, is a pivotal part of forming a bond between yourself, and the bike you see as special above the others.
Sort of what I meant with the post "when did you know it was yours".
My bike isn't worth squat due to the kilometres on the clock, but it's intrinsic value (to me) cannot be quantified.
The bigger the trips get, the less routine the experiences become.
It's a romantic notion I'll admit, but on the 25,000 k trip in Europe 2015 the interface between rider and bike became blurred and the bike just morphed into an extension of my own will...
The glider pilots among us will understand the "look there and that's where it went feeling"..
Magic.

ps... Does that sound like crap..?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:15:38 PM by Huzo »

Offline guzzi4me

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Distance addiction..
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2018, 12:16:47 AM »
There has been quite a few rides that my riding partner Mikee have been on that we had a destination in mind before shutting down but made the decision to continue on.

Those have been some of the best rides and memories ever.

At the end of those days the beer and/or wine tasted just that much better.

Can't really explain the feeling but if you have been there you know! Thinking about this never had this happen on my Hondas......only on Guzzi's.

As a side comment having a riding partner that is on the same wavelength is special...

Ride safe and often,

Jeff
Jeff S
Fruita CO

01 Jackal "Mistress"...sold
02 Stone "Giada"...donated Cedar Vale raffle
16 Stone V7 II "Olivia"...racking up the miles!!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2018, 12:27:24 AM »
There has been quite a few rides that my riding partner Mikee have been on that we had a destination in mind before shutting down but made the decision to continue on.

Those have been some of the best rides and memories ever.

At the end of those days the beer and/or wine tasted just that much better.

Can't really explain the feeling but if you have been there you know! Thinking about this never had this happen on my Hondas......only on Guzzi's.

As a side comment having a riding partner that is on the same wavelength is special...

Ride safe and often,

Jeff
Damn right...!

Offline piecemealadventurer

• New Egg
  • No turning back
    • piecemealadventurer
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 12:28:31 AM »
Gotta love those long rides Huzo

Sent from my F8131 using Tapatalk

Breva 1100 x2
v85tt

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2018, 12:28:31 AM »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2018, 12:44:43 AM »
As long as you don't lose your keys..!

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 01:17:44 AM »
Its all relative and I know that the lump of rock I ride around on is just a "tad" smaller than the lump of rock you ride on but I too much prefer the long non stop sort of rides too.

My riding buddy would far rather stop every 20 or 30 miles for coffee/breakfast/look at view/go to charity shop (delete as applicable) which is why I still bimble off without him early on a Sunday morning
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

• New Egg
  • No turning back
    • piecemealadventurer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 01:22:38 AM »
I thought a wizard like you could convert the norge to key less ignition. No butts then!

Breva 1100 x2
v85tt

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 01:31:25 AM »
" My bike isn't worth squat due to the kilometres on the clock, but it's intrinsic value (to me) cannot be quantified. "

I've not been that distance yet, but that's my story and you tell a good tale. It's bedtime and I'm resisting getting my armor on and keying up the bike.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 02:11:18 AM »
I thought a wizard like you could convert the norge to key less ignition. No butts then!

One day I'll tell you the difference between a Wizard's hat and a Policeman's truncheon..

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 03:48:45 AM »
Gotta love those long rides Huzo

Meeting Wyno on Wed morning @ 9.30 in Creswick for a quiet one somewhere with old mate Baz.
Be there or be square big guy.
Will be 3 Red Guzzi's and a red R 1100 S

• New Egg
  • No turning back
    • piecemealadventurer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 06:11:00 AM »
Meeting Wyno on Wed morning @ 9.30 in Creswick for a quiet one somewhere with old mate Baz.
Be there or be square big guy.
Will be 3 Red Guzzi's and a red R 1100 S
See how I go. I'm actually in Euroa tonight. Left Kandos in the blue mountains this morning and rode down through Bathurst and along the Olympic way ran out of puff 2 hours short of home

Breva 1100 x2
v85tt

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 06:21:46 AM »

Always carry a spare.

So true on the long distance rides. There is something that multiple short rides can never duplicate. Stories to tell and remember.

John Henry

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 01:49:55 PM »
...as the sun disappears over the horizon and hearing the final clicks of contracting Italian metal, while digesting the events of a big day, is a pivotal part of forming a bond between yourself, and the bike you see as special above the others.
Does that sound like crap..?

Sounds right on target...nothing like a road trip...over the horizon lie adventures, places to see, people to meet, rain to smell, fresh cut hay to breathe and mountains and sunsets to enjoy! 
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 02:05:55 PM »
Sounds right on target...nothing like a road trip...over the horizon lie adventures, places to see, people to meet, rain to smell, fresh cut hay to breathe and mountains and sunsets to enjoy!

Even better if you leave out the "Tom-Tom" bit, and travel the way man was meant to travel - with mystery around ever corner and over every horizon!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 02:15:16 PM »
I enjoy setting off with only a vague destination in mind - but more often when I'm going for a long ride it's with a destination and at least a rough route planned. That approach has put some 300,000+ miles on my bikes since April 2002 (when I got back into regular riding).

Then again, I don't think of a ride as 'long' till it's going to be more than 1000 miles before I come home. Trip plans often involve a tire change, maybe an oil change, a few visits with friends, or maybe a documented IronButt submission. Oh, and arrangements for someone to feed the felines.  :wink:
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2018, 02:31:07 PM »
I live for the end of a long day. Pulling into the nights camping spot... getting a fire going, setting up the tent, cooking something to eat, and sitting around the fire. Maybe a swim in the nearest puddle. Knowing there's a week more of it ahead of you. It's everything I love about riding.

Setting out before sunrise. Eating at the best greasy spoons. Hauling ass to make it to today's destination before it gets too dark. Smoking a pipe until the wee hours of the morning while staring into the campfire.

It all adds up to the purpose for living.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2018, 04:16:49 PM »

Setting out before sunrise....

I don't mind getting up early, but "breaking camp" seems to take forever, and if you're packing up in the dawn hours, then (around here) your tent is as soaking wet with dew as if it had been raining all night, and you've got to pack that up, getting water all over everything around it, and inside the tent.

I don't seem to be able to get on the road before 10:00 when I'm camping.   I'm probably doing it wrong, but I never seem to improve ....

You make it sound pretty good though!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2018, 04:23:53 PM »
We've got "breaking camp" down to a science. Takes longer to strap it all back on the bike than it does to tear it down and pack it.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 04:56:07 PM »
Certainly agree about long trips.   But also agree with your comment about the sound of "the final clicks of contracting Italian metal."

I love that sound.  It's probably why I don't bond as well with a water-cooled motorcycle.   You turn off a radiator bike, and it's off.  Silent.

Whereas if you turn off a hot air-cooled motorcycle, it makes those great tinking noises for a while.  Like an animal trying to get comfortable as it settles down to go to sleep.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 05:12:46 PM »
I'm with Huzo & Toecutter. 500 - 600km km is a decent day ride, but it's only marking time for the real thing. 3,000km is a better rehearsal. Add in freshly brewed coffee before dawn in the bush, after being pulled from sleep by the dawn chorus, & watching the sun come up. Got to get this paperwork out of the way & get back out there. The prospect if more road ahead. After all, it is the reason I have bikes and camping gear.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

• New Egg
  • No turning back
    • piecemealadventurer
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2018, 06:14:30 PM »
After the long ride, the big wash lol. Bug art on the screen and headlight. Abstract more than impressionistic I would say

Breva 1100 x2
v85tt

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2018, 06:40:16 PM »
Even better if you leave out the "Tom-Tom" bit, and travel the way man was meant to travel - with mystery around ever corner and over every horizon!

Lannis

That does add an element of surprise indeed...and allows the brain and eyes to act as a compass rather than the GPS!!  Good call!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2018, 07:30:09 PM »
That does add an element of surprise indeed...and allows the brain and eyes to act as a compass rather than the GPS!!  Good call!
I agree in principle, but riding into central Paris 2 hrs after nightfall to pre booked accomodation @ 120 Rue de La Sussiere', I could put up with a little less surprise and a little more certainty.
But your point is well made and received.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 01:25:19 PM by Huzo »

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2018, 07:44:29 PM »
I agree in priciple, but riding into central Paris 2 hrs after nightfall to pre booked accomodation @ 120 Rue de La Sussiere', I could put up with a little less surprise and a little more certainty.
But your point is well made and received.

I always get a bit conflicted on my first night when headed into Paris...do I go to Place des Vosges or to my favorite Patisserie Paul or just to la 8eme arrondissement...we should ask Kirby!!
Paul R
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2018, 10:33:21 PM »
Pigalle is a nice district

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2018, 03:38:33 AM »
Its all relative and I know that the lump of rock I ride around on is just a "tad" smaller than the lump of rock you ride on but I too much prefer the long non stop sort of rides too.

My riding buddy would far rather stop every 20 or 30 miles for coffee/breakfast/look at view/go to charity shop (delete as applicable) which is why I still bimble off without him early on a Sunday morning
Size isn't important Tris, it's what you do with it...
Apparently.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2018, 03:44:18 AM »
Always carry a spare.

So true on the long distance rides. There is something that multiple short rides can never duplicate. Stories to tell and remember.

John Henry
What hapoened mate, was when I finally caught up with Mick in Stoke on Trent, we went to the local bug house for dinner.
We were half way back to our respective digs, when I nigh shat myself at realising I'd lost my keys.
Cool as a cucumber, Mick says, " don't worry, they've gott'a be back at the restaurant" and sure enough, we walked back and lo and behold !
There they were under the seat..
Phew..!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:46:43 AM by Huzo »

Offline Zoom Zoom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2018, 07:28:03 AM »
Some years ago, we had a buddy on a trip who misplaced his key. He is a really good guy but very gullible, and we picked on him for a variety of things that trip. Thankfully he did have a spare. Several months after the trip, he found the lost key in some little storage pouch on a Camelback water pack he was carrying at the time. His name is Mark and he is the source for many of the fond memories laughs associated with that trip.

Yep, long trips. :thumb:

John Henry 

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2018, 09:45:51 AM »
Many of my European friends can�t understand why I would wish to put in long days on my bike. They say the only thing fun on a bike are the twisties. I disagree. Scenery is tough to absorb when you�re trying to find a late apex. In addition, the very act of being on the bike makes me want to go on and on...even if my rear end is afire! The great thing about places like the US and Australia is the amazing amount of space that is available without worrying about passports, visas, or border crossings. We have the luxury of long, relatively uncrowded scenic rides that connect superb twisty road areas. Both make me happy...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:04:53 PM by Sheepdog »
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »
There is nothing more cleansing to one's soul, than a long distance, overnight ride ANYWHERE! 

These photos from 2017 from the plains of San Augustin, New Mexico... :thumb: :cool:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here