Author Topic: Routes through AR, MO, OK, KS  (Read 4010 times)

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
Routes through AR, MO, OK, KS
« on: April 24, 2018, 04:54:44 PM »
Looking for route suggestions. 
I will be riding from Birmingham, AL to Boulder, CO in early June.  I have not had the pleasure of riding through the southern Ozarks or SE KS/ NE OK. 
Just one minor limitation:  I will need to make pretty good time.  No Interstate for sure, but also can't afford to spend all day on the twistiest/"best" roads - except maybe for a short stretch.  So I am looking for a decent, scenic, fun, non-interstate route.  Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions!
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

oldbike54

Re: Routes through AR, MO, OK, KS
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2018, 06:07:59 PM »
 W/O getting into too much detail , MO is a bit out of your way . Shoot for Hot Springs AR , then Tahlequah OK , then North from Tahlequah up to Northern OK , then West avoiding Tulsa towards the Miami/Vinita area , West from there , angling Northwest across KS .

Dusty

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2018, 07:32:16 PM »
Paging GuzzistaJohn!!  :boozing:

Seriously, Arkansas is kind of a north/south state cool highway wise, not totally but you might consider US-82 to US-65 to Pine Bluff and US-270 to AR-7 at Hot Springs then north on AR-7 to I-40 at Russellville then I-40 West to AR-21 to AR-16 to AR-23 to US-412 north of Huntsville then 412 West out of the state...that would give you some scenery and twisties and not take too long....HTH

All gravel in Missouri, even the interstate.
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 08:06:19 PM »
I'd consider the back roads north of I 40 through Arkansas.  You might check out some of the routes around Harrison on the maps that I posted here:
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=94356.30

These are twisty roads.  Make sure you have time. 

And if you have more time, I would travel to Taos NM and take back roads to Boulder.  I-70 through KS is a slab but fastest route.  The route to Taos from Las Vegas is pretty nice too but you could go through Clayton, in fact 412 goes to Clayton.  From Taos, you have several choices, none bad and some spectacular, Antonito? Canon City/Cripple Creek?   Lake City? Ouray? The further west the better.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2018, 08:06:19 PM »

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »
I'd consider the back roads north of I 40 through Arkansas.  You might check out some of the routes around Harrison on the maps that I posted here:
http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=94356.30

These are twisty roads.  Make sure you have time. 

And if you have more time, I would travel to Taos NM and take back roads to Boulder.  I-70 through KS is a slab but fastest route.  The route to Taos from Las Vegas is pretty nice too but you could go through Clayton, in fact 412 goes to Clayton.  From Taos, you have several choices, none bad and some spectacular, Antonito? Canon City/Cripple Creek?   Lake City? Ouray? The further west the better.

Thanks for the map!  As for Taos etc, I get down that way frequently.  It is Ark. and Ok I am primarily interested in as it is new motorcycle territory for me. 
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis
'07 Griso, '07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '02 V11 Lemans,  '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans

oldbike54

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2018, 10:22:06 PM »
 Hmm , let me change my route suggestions .

Come West out of Birmingham , stay South and shoot for the Southeastern corner of Oklahoma . Look for Broken Bow on the map . Go North out of Broken Bow up thru the Ouchita Mountains , you can go straight North , or angle Northwest , you will not be disappointed either way . The Ouchitas extend over into Arkansas , so you can ride a couple hundred miles in them . You could go a bit farther North and aim for Mena Arkansas , and ride the Talimena DR , 57 miles of motorcycle bliss, then turn North up Oklahoma 271 , another great stretch of hiway running thru the Ouchita Mountains . Turn East at the first junction , HW 270 , go about 10 miles over to HW 82 , turn North on 82 and go over the San Bois Mountains to Lequire . Look for Sallisaw OK from Lequire , and go from there . A map will show you how to get on West from there . I abhor I 40 . but a quick jaunt West on it is a good way to get West of Tulsa . You could then pick up RT 66 , and follow it to Edmond , and just West of Edmond look for HW 270 again (I think) and shoot for Seiling OK . That HW diagonals NW to 412 HW , which will carry you to the panhandle of OK , then South to Clayton NM . This is all open road , except for the shot across Edmond/OKC . which can be done on I 40 .

Dusty
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 10:23:54 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2018, 10:35:26 PM »
...then South to Clayton NM

If you do stop in Clayton, you might as well stay at the Eklund Hotel.  I've spent many nights in this old place; the restaurant is excellent.

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2018, 08:59:52 AM »
Hmm , let me change my route suggestions....

Dusty

Dusty,
I need to drag out the map and do some studying, but this sounds about perfect for what I had in mind.  Good roads but not of the tie you in knots variety.  I will have to save those for another day when I don’t need to get home on schedule. 
The Talimena, is that just a “normal” highway, or something more controlled like the Natchez Trace or Blue Ridge?
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

oldbike54

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2018, 09:26:57 AM »
Dusty,
I need to drag out the map and do some studying, but this sounds about perfect for what I had in mind.  Good roads but not of the tie you in knots variety.  I will have to save those for another day when I don�t need to get home on schedule. 
The Talimena, is that just a �normal� highway, or something more controlled like the Natchez Trace or Blue Ridge?

The Talimena Skyway isn't heavily patrolled , the speed limit varies from 55 MPH to 65 MPH , and on a weekday there isn't a lot of traffic . In places the road surface is not great , but ridden at a moderately spirited pace it is alright . Do be aware of how foggy it can be , not a bad idea to check conditions before entering on the Mena AR side . There are roads on both North and South sides of the Skyway just in case of fog . HW 82 over the San Bois mountains is also spectacular , built to modern spec with constant radius corners , and tremendous sight lines . Do be aware that it carries some truck traffic , mostly logging trucks , and watch the road surface on it also . The last right hand curve descending the North side can be deceiving , mostly because it is really easy to be caught out by the view .

If you come this way , give me a shout , we can meet up somewhere along RT 66 and ride to Edmond together , or maybe even a bit farther .

Dusty

Offline Darren Williams

• Finally got me a Griso!
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Life is too short to go slow!
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2018, 12:38:51 PM »
I like the idea of Hot Springs to Mena to Talihina, then up 82 going to Muskogee. Then west on 16 to Bristo connecting with Rt.66 on to Edmond (with breaks at Seaba Station free MC museum and Pops).

If riding Rt.66 to Edmond, I would recommend enduring about 10 miles of I-35 North to Guthrie, then west on 33 through Watonga, then up 270 to 412 crossing the panhandle (possible change is take 6 up from Watonga to 412 to head west so you can ride by the Gloss Mountains). That route gives 2 things. You will see what the NW part of Oklahoma is like and you can get through it fairly quickly.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2018, 01:07:51 PM »
I like that, Darren.   (But be careful of those scallywags from Edmond)

The Gloss "Mtns" are pretty neat.  Then on to Clayton, Raton, Trinidad, highway of Legends (CO 12), (Salida, Buena Vista  -or- Canon City, Cripple Creek) ... 

Darren and I were riding 412 through the "Gloss".  Pretty spectacular when the grass is green and the mesas are red.  This was taken in dry Sept.

John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2018, 01:47:48 PM »
Alan,

If you're crossing the river at Memphis, staying north of I-40 is the way to go.

Run up I-55 the short distance to AR-14. That will get you from the delta up onto the Ozarks.

Lots of East-West State highway options to get you to your exit from Arkansas at Siloam Springs.  If you want more detail, let me know. 16, 43, 74, etc...  Birmingham to Siloam Springs Map:  https://goo.gl/maps/hWKkipbwVyr  Mountain View, Jasper, and Fayetteville are recommended for lodging.

From Siloam Springs,  run US-412 all the way across Oklahoma.  It's my favorite way to get into Colorado and New Mexico.

In northeastern New Mexico,  NM-72 over Johnson Mesa into Raton is great. Then, you're part of a day from your destination,  after the run over Raton Pass.  NE New Mexico Map:  https://goo.gl/maps/VtbhhaPBfB52 

You can save a little time/distance by turning North on US-287 at Boise City Oklahoma, then following it to Limon, where you'd run I-70 the rest of the way into Denver/Boulder. 
Boise City to Limon to Boulder Map:  https://goo.gl/maps/H7oXJPGWfzt

Or, you can turn North at Woodward Oklahoma and head up to Dodge City (if you want to include SW Kansas on the trip), then west to Lamar and Limon.  Woodward to Boulder Map:  https://goo.gl/maps/nBPHWo3Ag462

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:13:59 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2018, 02:23:58 PM »

...at Siloam Springs.

That is a nice little town indeed, a great spot to cool down on a road trip.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 02:38:00 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2018, 09:01:07 PM »
412 in Oklahoma is interstate riding until West of I-35, really West of Enid, then it goes to 2 lane highway. In fact far Eastern part and then West of Tulsa has sections that are toll road.
The best part of riding a motorcycle is to tilt the horizon and to lift the front coming out of a corner and to drift the back end powering thru loose dirt and to catch a little air topping a hill and... yeah it's all good!

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2018, 09:37:13 PM »
We know an old boy in Siloam that would prolly take care of 'ya

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 09:41:53 PM »
412 in Oklahoma is interstate riding until West of I-35, really West of Enid, then it goes to 2 lane highway. In fact far Eastern part and then West of Tulsa has sections that are toll road.
Yeah,  but every road heading west out there looks about the same,  and 412 is fast.

Only other East-West options are US-64 in northern Oklahoma, and US-166 in southern Kansas.

I do like US-166. It's a nice run from Joplin to Arkansas City.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 09:05:12 AM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 09:45:35 PM »
 He is coming from pretty far South , traveling thru Siloam on 412 misses the best part of Oklahoma, and also requires dealing with the Springdale metro area , something I wouldn't wish on an enemy , let alone a friend .

Dusty

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 09:48:14 PM »
He is coming from pretty far South , traveling thru Siloam on 412 misses the best part of Oklahoma, and also requires dealing with the Springdale metro area , something I wouldn't wish on an enemy , let alone a friend .

Dusty
A straight line from Birmingham to Boulder goes through Memphis, northern Arkansas,  and southern Kansas.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2018, 09:54:31 PM »
A straight line from Birmingham to Boulder goes through Memphis, northern Arkansas,  and southern Kansas.

True  , but Alan expressed a desire to ride in Oklahoma , I gave him the best route across Oklahoma which routed him thru Southern Arkansas . 412 is awful , you will be dealing with Springdale and then Tulsa , not fun on a motorbike .

Dusty

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2018, 10:02:25 PM »
True  , but Alan expressed a desire to ride in Oklahoma , I gave him the best route across Oklahoma which routed him thru Southern Arkansas . 412 is awful , you will be dealing with Springdale and then Tulsa , not fun on a motorbike .

Dusty

As always, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Ride the fantastic roads of northern Arkansas,  then transit Oklahoma or Kansas on fast,  straight roads.

Or, ride out of the way to transit southern Arkansas and ride good roads across central Oklahoma.

Just offering my opinion and advice..

It's motorcycling. It's all good. Nothing awful. Just options...

There is some nice curvy riding across north central Mississippi.  Holly Springs to Tunica is good fun.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:06:27 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

oldbike54

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 10:10:08 PM »

As always, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Ride the fantastic roads of northern Arkansas,  then transit Oklahoma or Kansas on fast,  straight roads.

Or, ride out of the way to transit southern Arkansas and ride good roads across central Oklahoma.

Just offering my opinion and advice..

It's motorcycling. It's all good. Nothing awful. Just options...

Also true , I just hate dealing with cities on a motorcycle , although the more Southern route takes him across OKC . It does eliminate one large metro area , and routes him along 66 for several miles , something most folks enjoy . That and my route takes him over the Skyline Dr, and over the San Bois Mts , which are amazing , and the prettiest part of Oklahoma .

Dusty

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2018, 10:10:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the great great ideas.  I have been studying the options, and think I am going to try to follow Dusty�s basic concept of staying south and riding the Talimena into OK.  My primary reason for selecting this is I think I am going to try to make it back to the Ozarks in ARK another time, so the section further south will be harder for me to get back to.  I know NW ARK has some great roads, so it will be worth a future trip. 
Still pondering though....
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:16:57 PM by alanp »
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2018, 10:12:23 PM »
Now fellas............. ....

You both know nothing jacks up a trip any more than making too many plans.

The dude knows what direction he needs to go, just hang loose a little and have fun, it�s not like you�re gonna screw the pooch or anything  :laugh:

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2018, 10:14:00 PM »
Talimena Drive is fantastic.

Stay at Queen Wilhelmina State Park Lodge at the east end of the drive, if it fits your schedule.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 10:14:48 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline alanp

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 10:15:51 PM »
By the way, I had already decided to NOT go via Memphis despite it being the logical route.  A more southerly route takes me to places I haven�t been. 
I will look at Holy Springs to Tunica in MS.  Sounds good!
Niwot, Colorado
'08 1200 Sport - Black
'16 V7II Stone - Black
Previous Guzzis

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2018, 10:18:30 PM »

Stay at Queen Wilhelmina State Park Lodge at the east end of the drive, if it fits your schedule.

:thumb:

oldbike54

« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2018, 10:24:22 PM »
Now fellas............. ....

You both know nothing jacks up a trip any more than making too many plans.

The dude knows what direction he needs to go, just hang loose a little and have fun, it�s not like you�re gonna screw the pooch or anything  :laugh:

Kinda why I just gave Alan points to aim at .

:thumb:

Dusty

Offline maquette

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2018, 05:43:55 AM »
Alan,

Here's a link to a free map that is mailed to you from the state of Arkansas that is pretty good. I ordered one a couple of years ago and was surprised at how much info it had.

https://www.arkansas.com/motorcycling/guide/
Tom
Oriental, NC

'98 V11 EV

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2018, 06:01:47 AM »
In about 4 weeks or so we will be traversing many of those states on the Scooter Cannonball heading east. The route is oretty interesting and is published on scootercannonballru n.com

Offline Darren Williams

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2018, 07:05:17 AM »
If Alan wants to see Oklahoma, the good and the bad, along with the diversity of the state's terrain, Dusty's suggestion of Talihina, then on to Rt. 66 at Bristow (staying South of Tulsa) makes sense. Then up through Guthrie (first capital) and out west on the small highways with towns every 20 miles or so. It also would necessitate riding through the panhandle, an experience in itself.

Or he could ride through the fantasticly great roads of the Ozarks and cross Southern Kansas and miss Oklahoma altogether, but I don't think that was what he stated in his original post.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here