Author Topic: Any Advice on Wind Noise?  (Read 4902 times)

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Any Advice on Wind Noise?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2018, 06:28:10 PM »
I like disposable ear plugs. They are super cheap, hygienic and if you loose one or 50 its no big deal. Break out another individual 2 pack and you're on your way. If I am out for a long ride or touring I will use ear buds coupled with an iPod/iPhone.   

If you get custom ear plugs you need to wash sanitize and dry them daily or you risk getting an ear infection. When I was shooting Trap regularly lots of guys used custom molded ear plugs and all did 2 things:

1. Store them in an old pill bottle
2. Put them in their mouth to lube them up before inserting into their ears.

The pill bottle acts like a petri dish and the slobber and ear crust are great for making a great bacterial starter culture. 

Also over time your ears change and the ear plugs need to be remade. So they are not a once and done thing. 

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2018, 06:41:06 PM »
I like disposable ear plugs.

Me, too. Buy them by the industrial sized box. Cheap. (Guzzi content) Keep one size bigger than I need in the Guzzi Garage in case someone stops in and needs some.
I have a medical condition called "Deaf as a post."  :smiley: Way too many years of industrial noise, flying and motorcycling without hearing protection.. shooting guns..outrageously loud rock music.. Of course, I could read the information that hearing damage was cumulative.. but I chose to ignore it. Duh.
Do yourself a favor before it is too late. If you wake up in the morning, and it is taking a long time for the ringing to quit.. probably the next time it will never quit.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2018, 06:56:53 PM »
And to a much lesser degree (as ear plugs just can't be beat), I keep my riding jacket zipped
up all the way and buttoned at the top. Seems to help at Thruway+ speeds.
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Offline kirkemon

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2018, 07:36:21 PM »
In my experience, windshields generally create a horrendous din by directing all the wind off your chest onto your helmet. In my experience, the only windshield that truly cuts the noise is a tall one that you look through. Short of that, no windscreen at all is better. Just get a nice quiet full face helmet.
Exactly right.
After waisting my time and money on one of those small Dart screens I got a Givi that routed the air above my head.
An Arai Quantum, disposable foam ear plugs, and tall screen - all is good!
Kirk

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2018, 07:36:21 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2018, 09:53:15 PM »
I like disposable ear plugs. They are super cheap, hygienic and if you loose one or 50 its no big deal. Break out another individual 2 pack and you're on your way.

For me, I can't use foam plugs that completely fill up my ear.   They make me feel claustrophobic, like I'm inside a deep-sea diver's helmet, and after a while I start to feel dizzy and disoriented.   Although we may be in the minority (like those of us for whom cilantro tastes like soap), it's a real thing.

If you get custom ear plugs you need to wash sanitize and dry them daily or you risk getting an ear infection.

I don't let them get clogged up with ear wax, but I'm not all that fastidious about washing them all the time.   I've been wearing the same pair for 5 years and haven't gotten an ear infection, even though I just wipe them off good before using them.   They still fit good.   

Time for another ear test, though, it's been 5 years.   I have mine made by my audiologist.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2018, 04:19:13 PM »
And to a much lesser degree (as ear plugs just can't be beat), I keep my riding jacket zipped
up all the way and buttoned at the top. Seems to help at Thruway+ speeds.

Me too. My helmet used to have some chin mesh which really helped until the elastic wasn't. :rolleyes: Now I use a very nice neck warmer that came in the goodie bag at the Tattley Rappet rally some 3 years ago. Nice and soft, thin enough to fit between my chin and helmet and held up by the chin strap, but thick enough that the wind doesn't rush through. With the riding jacket zipped and closed over with the velcro strap it makes a huge difference to the wind noise (and the comfort of my adams apple). Still use the ear plugs as well though.
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2018, 11:24:45 AM »
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2018, 02:17:14 PM »
I like disposable ear plugs. They are super cheap, hygienic and if you loose one or 50 its no big deal. Break out another individual 2 pack and you're on your way. If I am out for a long ride or touring I will use ear buds coupled with an iPod/iPhone.   

If you get custom ear plugs you need to wash sanitize and dry them daily or you risk getting an ear infection. When I was shooting Trap regularly lots of guys used custom molded ear plugs and all did 2 things:

1. Store them in an old pill bottle
2. Put them in their mouth to lube them up before inserting into their ears.

The pill bottle acts like a petri dish and the slobber and ear crust are great for making a great bacterial starter culture. 

Also over time your ears change and the ear plugs need to be remade. So they are not a once and done thing.

So far as my custom ear plugs, I always lick them before I put 'em in my ears.  I store 'em wrapped in the skull cap I keep in the pocket of my jacket.  I usually clean my ears every spring during the height on allergy when my ears get plugged up ......

Too much information? 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 02:19:43 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2018, 02:24:38 PM »
So far as my custom ear plugs, I always lick them before I put 'em in my ears.  I store 'em wrapped in the skull cap I keep in the pocket of my jacket.  I usually clean my ears every spring during the height on allergy when my ears get plugged up ......

Too much information?

LOL...

I used to lick them until I got an ear infection...

Since I always carry some wet wipes for my visor, I now also use on my ear plug now...
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2018, 02:34:32 PM »
Two years on my current pair of custom plugs... can't imagine why anyone would want to lick them, they fit with no fuss. Never had an infection. Other than the noise reduction, I don't even notice they're in.

The foam ones... work. But they put constant pressure in all directions, and get uncomfortable after a while, plus... they're wasteful.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2018, 05:02:09 PM »
Why would anyone want to put spit in their ears?   Sounds nasty.

If the earplugs are made right (and I have mine made by my ear doctor, not by some dood at a bike show doing earplugs, tattoos, and piercings), they just go right in with no saliva required ..... ?

Lannis

Offline TimmyTheHog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2018, 06:02:08 PM »
Why would anyone want to put spit in their ears?   Sounds nasty.

If the earplugs are made right (and I have mine made by my ear doctor, not by some dood at a bike show doing earplugs, tattoos, and piercings), they just go right in with no saliva required ..... ?

Lannis

between bad habit when working back in Asia (cheap labor, but quick money) and inside of my ear changed over the year enough to not fit properly...

I was too poor to get a new one, so opted for a dirty but quick solution: spit...

well, stopped doing that really quick after I had a nasty ear infection that almost made me deaf...

and now, I can't hear as well as some of my colleague now...

a painful experience for sure...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 06:04:46 PM by TimmyTheHog »
Life isn't WHAT IS at the end.
It is HOW and WHAT you are doing to get there.

03 Honda Shadow Spirit - The Purple Beast (SOLD)
15 Guzz V7 Stone - The Red Chick (SOLD)
18 BMW R1200GS Rallye - The Blue Streak (SOLD)

Currently Bikeless...*cry*

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2018, 07:07:45 PM »
between bad habit .......I was too poor to get a new one .....

Certainly time-tested and understandable reasons!   We've all been there done that, and lucky it didn't affect our health ... usually!

Lannis

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2018, 07:18:53 PM »
I'm confused, I thought everyone simply used their MP3 player and when not listening to great old school country or rock n roll simply used the ear phones as ear plugs when not listening to music. I guess this will make to much sense to most guzzi ridders 😂

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2018, 07:25:25 PM »
I'm confused, I thought everyone simply used their MP3 player and when not listening to great old school country or rock n roll simply used the ear phones as ear plugs when not listening to music. I guess this will make to much sense to most guzzi ridders 😂

My brain doesn't have enough capacity to be listening to music, or Comedy Central, or chatting with someone while I'm riding down the road, and ALSO keep me alive amongst the deer, aluminum ladders, text-drunks, fallen trees/rocks and all the other exigencies of the long highway .... !

So just regular plugs with no wires do me just dandy!

Lannis

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2018, 07:39:57 PM »
My brain doesn't have enough capacity to be listening to music, or Comedy Central, or chatting with someone while I'm riding down the road, and ALSO keep me alive amongst the deer, aluminum ladders, text-drunks, fallen trees/rocks and all the other exigencies of the long highway .... !

So just regular plugs with no wires do me just dandy!

Lannis

Interestingly enough for me when listening to music while riding I hear it loud and clear until some technical road shows up then my brain shuts the music out and its ride time. Once the road straightens out or the pace slows again I can hear the music.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2018, 07:50:40 PM »
Interestingly enough for me when listening to music while riding I hear it loud and clear until some technical road shows up then my brain shuts the music out and its ride time. Once the road straightens out or the pace slows again I can hear the music.

That's a pretty good trait to have.   Your brain works better than mine, I'll admit ... !

Lannis

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »
That's a pretty good trait to have.   Your brain works better than mine, I'll admit ... !

Lannis
Lol lannis, you are coming through loud and clear:) I'm listening to Fox News, my wife complaining about Fox News and texting to you, dang I must be a freaking genius 🤔

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2018, 08:25:41 PM »
Lol lannis, you are coming through loud and clear:) I'm listening to Fox News, my wife complaining about Fox News and texting to you, dang I must be a freaking genius 🤔

Two of those three things sure are making your life difficult, maybe you should give them up!   :laugh:

You'll have to pick which two, though ...  :wink:

Lannis

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2018, 05:14:09 PM »
If I am on a long road trip by myself, I may listen to music. But only for a couple of hours. I prefer soft ear plugs.
Every time I am riding with someone and I have the music going, they will stop in 15 minutes and ask a question.
I stop, remove my gloves, unzipp the jacket and try and find the pause button, what was that? "Nice day for a ride..."

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here