Author Topic: V7 III FUELING  (Read 9077 times)

Offline professor

• New Egg
V7 III FUELING
« on: September 22, 2017, 04:00:12 PM »
Does any one who owns a new V7 III 2017 have any comments regarding the fueling and riding characteristics. I find it to be unfinished. Seems never to smooth out but hunt as I ride. MyII  was finally sorted so know the difference. :food:

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
Re: V7 III FUELING
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 04:11:04 PM »
I have a 2015 V7 in Az that I live with it's faults. I might just do a Beatle map on it this winter.
I have a 2017 V 7-3 special at the Ga. house ( only 2000 miles on it) and I see no need to fix anything on it. Fueling is as perfect as anything I have ridden. rides away fine cold or hot although cold here is 70F. Idles perfectly at all times and gets 55-60 here at 1000 feet and did 65-70 at 10000-13000 in Colorado. Now the Am temps there were in the 40"s. you might have the dealer check it for codes or the right map. I doubt the dealer did anything to mine as it just left the factory a month before I picked it up the first of August.
You just might want to check the electrical connections at the O2 sensors and injector too. then disconnect the battery just for grins.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 04:27:10 PM »
Beetle's map is the way to go.   The maps transformed my V7 and my Norge! 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline AL NH

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 05:25:34 PM »
What traction control mode are you in ? 1,2 or 0.
Normal road riding You should be in 1.
Wet would be 2.
Off road gravel etc would be 0.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 05:25:34 PM »

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 05:38:32 PM »
No major fueling issues with my V7 III with Mistrals, what a delightful surprise.  :laugh:

I haven't seen any info from Beetle on maps for the hemi heads. Frankly I think it would be a waste of his time.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

beetle

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 06:27:28 PM »
I've yet to see a V7III, let alone a map from one.

I'd try what Vagrant suggested. Disconnect your battery for a minute or more to reset the trims.

Offline professor

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 06:59:12 PM »
Will do. Thank you.

Offline Phil Tunbridge

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 09:13:15 PM »
I picked up my V7 III Stone the 1st of August and the fueling has been spot on from the word go, but it does seem a lot smoother with the traction control on 0 or 1.
Around 2,000 miles so far and I'm liking it more every time I ride!
Phil

elvisboy77

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2017, 10:13:42 PM »
My Anniversario is really well done.  Fueling is excellent as is the rest of it.  Bravo, Moto Guzzi!

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 11:36:18 PM »
My Anniversario is smooth as glass!  Her only problem is the rider, who is less than proficient.   :sad:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2017, 07:32:33 AM »
FYI,
when resetting the computer on my Tundra they say to, once the ground wire is removed turn the ign. key on and hit the brake for a few seconds. the brake light removes a tiny bit of voltage the computer has stored in it. I don't know if it matters on a bike but it can't hurt. 
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2017, 05:52:03 PM »
I've yet to see a V7III, let alone a map from one.

I think perhaps there was one at the Ragged Fringe - a blue-tanked Special. Only caught a glimpse as it was on the way out. Probably, being a typical guzzisti, he was modest & avoided attention.

The demo III Racer I rode on the Old Highway had no such fuelling issues, but that was only 10-20km.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

beetle

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 06:06:53 PM »
In a sea of Guzzi's, it's easy to miss one bike. On the upside, I now have a V7 III map. Thanks Bernd!

Offline professor

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2017, 12:42:06 PM »
For what it is worth I will add this. My 2017 V7III has 85 miles on it. So, of course it is under warranty.  It does not run well . It surges and hunts at speed. Went through all ride modes. Least effect at 0.  I took it to the largest and most experienced MG dealer in California. They sell a fair number of MG bikes. The techs did all of the required diagnostic work. Verdict; we can't fix it, will call MG directly. So, it sits. Now, I know the service guys well. Very decent, honest and experience. I asked, " is this a problem on the V7III?" The answer was; "yes, on about half we sell we have similar problems."

Beetle will do fine selling maps once he sorts out the mapping. MG has not finished the work required to make the III run well.  I know some forum members have had no problems. Good for you. I read your reports. And it influenced my buying decision.  But that is not the norm and the dealer says it is not. If you plan on buying a V7 III ride the bike you will buy first, not a demo. Don't buy it unless it runs as it should. I am not a mechanic, nor have any desire to be one. I just ride, a lot. So, I asked the people who should know. Who sells a lot of MGs. The service guys were straight forward with me. The III is not sorted out.

Last after listening to all of the problems with the "New" Norton. I feel blessed and fortunate. Even the factory is frustrated as the oil "puking" from the crankcase issue never seems to be sorted out despite modifications to resolve it and other quality issues. And this is at $20,000 a copy.  Of course this has nothing to do with my bike, but it does remind me, that once this FI is fixed and I feel hopeful, if not fully confident it will,  MG V7III is exactly what I want.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 01:14:58 PM »
For what it is worth I will add this. My 2017 V7III has 85 miles on it. So, of course it is under warranty.  It does not run well . It surges and hunts at speed. Went through all ride modes. Least effect at 0.  I took it to the largest and most experienced MG dealer in California. They sell a fair number of MG bikes. The techs did all of the required diagnostic work. Verdict; we can't fix it, will call MG directly. So, it sits. Now, I know the service guys well. Very decent, honest and experience. I asked, " is this a problem on the V7III?" The answer was; "yes, on about half we sell we have similar problems."

Beetle will do fine selling maps once he sorts out the mapping. MG has not finished the work required to make the III run well.  I know some forum members have had no problems. Good for you. I read your reports. And it influenced my buying decision.  But that is not the norm and the dealer says it is not. If you plan on buying a V7 III ride the bike you will buy first, not a demo. Don't buy it unless it runs as it should. I am not a mechanic, nor have any desire to be one. I just ride, a lot. So, I asked the people who should know. Who sells a lot of MGs. The service guys were straight forward with me. The III is not sorted out.

Last after listening to all of the problems with the "New" Norton. I feel blessed and fortunate. Even the factory is frustrated as the oil "puking" from the crankcase issue never seems to be sorted out despite modifications to resolve it and other quality issues. And this is at $20,000 a copy.  Of course this has nothing to do with my bike, but it does remind me, that once this FI is fixed and I feel hopeful, if not fully confident it will,  MG V7III is exactly what I want.

They must not sell many, if half they sell have this problem and they don't know how to fix it.  Does that mean they haven't fixed it on half the bikes they sell and are still waiting for Moto Guzzi to offer a fix, or does that mean they don't remember how they fixed the other bikes with this problem?
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline professor

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2017, 01:26:25 PM »
Good question, half the MGs or half the V7s. I was offered a chance to simply take it home and ride it until it could be fixed. I suspect others may have. I did not.  Matters little, as I can't fix it and have to depend upon them. So, it sits and ride something else.

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 01:40:15 PM »
If you plan on buying a V7 III ride the bike you will buy first, not a demo. Don't buy it unless it runs as it should.

Actually, I insisted on buying the demo I rode.  I didn't trust the next one to ride as well, so I guess we think alike.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2017, 02:14:14 PM »

I took it to the largest and most experienced MG dealer in California. They sell a fair number of MG bikes. The techs did all of the required diagnostic work. Verdict; we can't fix it, will call MG directly. So, it sits. Now, I know the service guys well. Very decent, honest and experience. I asked, " is this a problem on the V7III?" The answer was; "yes, on about half we sell we have similar problems."

So they have sold what two, maybe three?

And fwiw wouldn't some claim the "most experienced MG dealer in CA" is Todd from Guzzitech?
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline professor

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2017, 07:44:03 PM »
The standard and well used MG FI diagnostic and calibration regime did not work on this particular bike. So, it might be a faulty ECU according to dealer. Guzzi NA will decide what to do next. I asked and was told the following.  They sell a big motor at one or two per quarter. V7s are sold four to six a month. V9s sit and sit and sit. (I rode a V9, plenty of torque, but too heavy. V7III felt more lively.) The V7II FI fix is common now. V7III in progress according to service. IIIs seem to have less issues than IIs. V7s in general are Hipster bikes and urban trawlers. So, they are the most popular model. Same shop owns a Triumph dealership, with same demographics on Bonneville and derivatives. Or so they say.

I could not find Guzzitech in the list of California dealers. They had not heard of the company. One of the BMW dealers had Guzzi, but sold so few, they simply quit. They seem to do better in a full European shop in big urban areas. But Harper's is ........???? So, go figure.

Scooterswest in SD is a very successful Vespa dealer. Some (many), go for $12, 00 to $15,000 plus when customized. Ship world wide. Customers are very loyal. They sell only scooters. Seem to have similar demographics. And urban location seems to work for them as well. Guzzi appears to appeal to the older traditionalist and younger Hipsters who don't want their buddy's Triumph.

MG will sort out the solution to the FI. California has a Lemon Law and they know that. There is always that if all else fails. But that is far away right now.

beetle

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2017, 09:19:32 PM »
I’d be willing to help you if your willing to give it a go. Of course, you will need to get your bike back.

Offline professor

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 10:42:21 PM »
Yes sir,  I hope to get it back. And soon. Fortunately, for the forum, you have the talent and ability to reach into the abyss and actually make the things work as they should.  I can only wonder why you have not been hired by MG NA to at least consult. I would bet my best boots, that most of the Hipster bikes are running poorly and they simply put up with it or don't know any better. The more experienced riders like myself (and others) know better and call them (dealers) out. How the bike could be setup like this and allowed to leave the dealer amazes me. But, I am a dumb ass as well. The demo and the bike I took delivery of, were two different bikes. So, I own that.
Once I get it back we can talk. Thank you.

beetle

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 10:53:40 PM »
:thumb:

If you haven’t already, please acquire the GuzziDiag cables and download the IAWMIUG3Writer and IAWMIUG3Reader and GuzziDiag software.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:57:23 PM by beetle »

pete roper

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 05:11:30 AM »
I'm also hoping that this isn't just some bit of stupidness like bad plug caps or poor PD. Having said that I'd bet London to a Brick that the factory mapping for the V9's and 7-III's is no better or more sophisticated than earlier models.

As long as they meet emissions regs and don't foul plugs or melt that's basically all that seems to matter at Piaggio HQ.

The shop sounds a bit clueless. I haven't thrown up my hands and said 'Too Hard' pretty much since forever. You may not make money sorting out problems but the fact you learn means that you make money in the future. There's also the honesty and honour factor but that seems to be optional nowadays in a lot of fields.

Pete

Offline Socalrob

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 05:25:20 AM »
My Anniversario with 2,500 miles is dead on smooth.  I have not bothered to set the traction control to 0 or 1.

beetle

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2017, 05:51:27 AM »
One way or t�other we�ll prove whether it�s the the mapping or a mechanical issue.

Regarding the V9, it�s hard to know because they�ve only sold a handful. Having said that, I was able to make a V9 Bobber run more smoothly without ever seeing one.

pete roper

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2017, 05:58:41 AM »
When the prices for the non-selling, (In Oz.) POS begin to reflect the reality of the market I might buy one but while they are being lauded as the best thing since sliced bread and languishing on the showroom floors at $14-15K AU they can stick it up their arse and set fire to it!

Pete

PS. I picked up a 12,000Km 2009 small tank Stelvio today for $7,800. It'll need rollerising and probably tyres but why would I buy a Roamer when there are low hanging fruit like that to buy?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2017, 06:02:16 AM by pete roper »

beetle

« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2017, 06:03:18 AM »
I think they’ve missed an opportunity. A V9 Racer or Stone would be a better seller. IMO.

Offline roadscum

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2017, 01:00:59 PM »
Yes sir,  I hope to get it back. And soon. Fortunately, for the forum, you have the talent and ability to reach into the abyss and actually make the things work as they should.  I can only wonder why you have not been hired by MG NA to at least consult. I would bet my best boots, that most of the Hipster bikes are running poorly and they simply put up with it or don't know any better. The more experienced riders like myself (and others) know better and call them (dealers) out. How the bike could be setup like this and allowed to leave the dealer amazes me. But, I am a dumb ass as well. The demo and the bike I took delivery of, were two different bikes. So, I own that.
Once I get it back we can talk. Thank you.

"Work as it should" is likely not possible under the constraints of government rules and regulations. The EPA and CARB care not about how well our vehicles run.

GuzziTech is not a dealer but rather a tuner and provider of custom made accessories for Moto Guzzi bikes.  The most popular Moto Guzzi dealer in the US is likely MI in Seattle.

I agree with you on Scooter West, they did the break in service and added several safety accessories to my Vespa 300. Extremely knowledge on all things Vespa, and great peeps they are. The Vespa  was purchased in Las Vegas, serviced San Diego by Scooter West, visited Yosemite, Phoenix/Mesa, Luckenbach, Austin, and more......  before returning to Florida 28 days and 5K miles later.

Paul
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing " - Socrates

Paul M. in SW Florida: 318 miles, 11 curves and not a Guzzi dealer in sight!

Offline professor

• New Egg
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2017, 11:27:07 PM »
The V9 with a chrome V7 tank seems to be popular with the few I've seen in CA. No, this is not a foolish rabbit hole as Mr. Roper feared. No, not at this point. Simple fixes are not there it seems. MG wants a picture of the DATA from the shop PC done during final diagnosis. They want to review the settings. No one argues that it is not working properly. They rode it.

How is it that the Japanese seem to be plagued with this FI malady only occasionally?  FZ09 first generation was the last one I hear of in the cycling press.

beetle

« Reply #29 on: October 08, 2017, 01:25:04 AM »
I’ve said it before. The MIU G3 is not the best choice for a large capacity motorcycle. In that respect, I mean anything over 150cc. It really is a crude device.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here