Author Topic: My neighbor is one of those...  (Read 5639 times)

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
My neighbor is one of those...
« on: February 19, 2018, 09:02:41 AM »
I'll have to wait 'till I get to my home computer to post the image, but my neighbor's Alfa Romeo convertible is now covered in slushy snow, with the windows open, and also half covered by a pine tree that fell on it, where it's been sitting for a year since they finally pushed it out of the garage, where it sat for 15 yrs.

This reminds me of some of the Guzzis I've seen (Guzzi content), like that V7 Sport someone posted a while back, leaning against a fence in Oregon.

He's Italian, born and raised, and his wife gave it to him for his 40th birthday. I've never seen it run. Last I asked, "...he has a friend who's going to restore it, I don't think he wants to sell it".

I gnash my teeth together every time I look out the window at it.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: My neighbor is one of those...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 09:15:01 AM »
That's sad. There's a '76? Porsche 911 Turbo over near Jefferson, MD that's been sitting in the same spot in front of a garage for nearly 30 years. It has sunk almost up to the rocker panels into the gravel drive...  :sad:
Charlie

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 09:39:51 AM »
Old guy who lived on the other side of our county gave me a lot of insight into some of these fellers.

He had an original '40 Ford V8 Convertible that he drove for years, and it was in nice shape.   He didn't have a shed (he lived in a small house in the country, didn't have much money, or didn't show it) so the car was always parked in front of the house, where you could see it from the road.

He got to where he didn't really drive it any more, and he sat on the porch most of the day.   As you can imagine, word had gotten around, and people would pull up from far and wide asking if the car was for sale.

He took great pleasure in telling them that the car was his, it was NOT for sale, and they could go and do the other thing.

A few more years and he didn't drive it at all.   It just sat in the yard, tires going flat, and eventually the convertible top started getting holes in it.   He couldn't sit outside as much, but he had just as many people stopping to ask about it, and just as stridently told them it was not for sale.

Eventually, after 20 years of this (around 2002 or so), the top had caved in, and the car was full of leaves and water.   By the time he died, it was just a rusty wreck, no floors, sagging in the middle, good for a few trim parts.

I had talked to him once or twice, and I'm convinced that he really enjoyed having people lusting after something HE had, and that THEY wanted, and he could say "NO!" to them.   It's not like he couldn't have used the money (again, as far as I could tell - he might have had a bag of gold bezants and Spanish doubloons buried under the chicken shed).   

That might or might not apply to other valuable vehicles that have been allowed to rust away, but I'll bet there's a few ... !

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:06:07 AM »

That might or might not apply to other valuable vehicles that have been allowed to rust away, but I'll bet there's a few ... !
Lannis

I'm sure in many instances, this is the case. I think my example may be a variation of this anomaly, but I still think my neighbor harbors some fantasy of getting it restored. His kid is about to graduate college this year or next, you'd think that would be a great graduation present (remember "The Graduate"?).

Unfortunately, he is completely mechanically clueless, and after meeting a few of his circle of friends, none of them impressed me as having any idea how to care for anything mechanical.

That's sad. There's a '76? Porsche 911 Turbo over near Jefferson, MD that's been sitting in the same spot in front of a garage for nearly 30 years. It has sunk almost up to the rocker panels into the gravel drive...  :sad:

I knew another friend with a car just like this! Completely forgot about him....He drove the car for years, then got married and parked the car, and I saw it in real life sunk up to the rockers in mud. It was hidden from view so nobody knew he had it, but he still insisted it was worth a king's ransom, even in it's sad condition. I even offered to tow it out of it's ruts and try to start it, but he refused. Eventually he got divorced (I think he was a hoarder...built sheds and then stuffed them full of crap to the ceiling, then put padlocks on them so nobody would steal his crap. Let 20 yrs of trees and vegetation overgrow his house), and I think had the car towed away for junk.

'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 10:06:07 AM »

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:26:07 AM »
I'm sure in many instances, this is the case. I think my example may be a variation of this anomaly, but I still think my neighbor harbors some fantasy of getting it restored. His kid is about to graduate college this year or next, you'd think that would be a great graduation present (remember "The Graduate"?).

Unfortunately, he is completely mechanically clueless, and after meeting a few of his circle of friends, none of them impressed me as having any idea how to care for anything mechanical.

I knew another friend with a car just like this! Completely forgot about him....He drove the car for years, then got married and parked the car, and I saw it in real life sunk up to the rockers in mud. It was hidden from view so nobody knew he had it, but he still insisted it was worth a king's ransom, even in it's sad condition. I even offered to tow it out of it's ruts and try to start it, but he refused. Eventually he got divorced (I think he was a hoarder...built sheds and then stuffed them full of crap to the ceiling, then put padlocks on them so nobody would steal his crap. Let 20 yrs of trees and vegetation overgrow his house), and I think had the car towed away for junk.

The Porsche whackadoodle must have more $$ than common sense or just plain has a "screw loose". I drove past his house nearly ever day for 8 years and saw a never ending succession of different vehicles appear then suddenly "disappear". For instance: at first he had a Ford Ranger pickup as his primary vehicle until one soggy day when he got it stuck up to the rear axle in the backyard. Most likely, he had pulled it around there to get up on the roof and "fix" the leaking roof of the house, which had more bricks holding down shingles than shingles themselves. It was replaced by a full-sized Ford passenger van, which not surprisingly, suffered exactly the same fate as the truck! Both are still likely buried up to their axles in the back yard. That was replaced by a Ford Focus which must have simply failed to start one day (dead battery?), maybe because it didn't want to go around back and get stuck.  :grin: It was still there in the driveway along with the Porsche and a Jeep CJ5 as of two years ago. I guess he had enough of Fords, so bought a Hyundai after that.   
Charlie

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 10:43:11 AM »
I lusted after an old Dodge A100 camper van, parked alongside a Chicago garage, for decades. When I first noticed it in '87, it was simply a dusty old truck. Couple dedicated weekends and few hundred bucks probably yielding a runner.  When I started leaving notes under the wiper blades in '97, the tires were flat and a mouse would have a hard time clearing the rockers. It was 2015 when it was dragged out of there onto a flat bed, windows and lights smashed, the turquoise on white scheme barely noticeable. What a shame. The mental vacations I took with my kids in that camper gave me hours of enjoyment. If only....
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 10:43:54 AM by kidsmoke »
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 10:50:52 AM »
    When I moved to Arizona in the 70's, there was a farm house on the west side of Glendale where a 1967 Corvette coupe was parked on the front lawn with a big NOT FOR SALE sign in front of it. We always wondered what the deal was. Then one day me and a buddy stopped by to inquire about the fate of this slowly disintegrating car. We told the gentleman who answered the door we were not interested in buying it we just wanted to know the story of it.
  Seems his son bought the car in 67, had it about a year and was shipped off to Vietnam where he lost his life.  Hid Dad kept the car as a reminder of his son and vowed to never sell it.  I'm sure there are more similar stories out there from people who make a shrine one way or another for their loved ones.
  About two years ago my buddy told me the land was sold for development and the Corvette was hauled off by a family member to be placed on some family parcel up north in Arizona.

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 11:46:38 AM »
I’ve known three people who owned Alfa Spyders. Only one ran...and it was new.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 11:54:47 AM »
The Porsche whackadoodle must have more $$ than common sense or just plain has a "screw loose". I drove past his house nearly ever day for 8 years and saw a never ending succession of different vehicles appear ....

And sometimes they DON'T disappear.   When Fay and I toured Eastern Kentucky last year on the bike, we couldn't help but notice (very much like here at home but a bit more common) very cheap houses, say a subdivision of trailers and double-wides along a creek bank, each one having 8-10 junk, non-running, often on blocks, rusty, windowless vehicles sitting around the house.  Pickups, SUVs, cars of all sizes and shapes.

When Fay and I didn't have any money, we lived in a trailer, for 5 years, so I know what it's like.

And so I do NOT understand why these folks don't simply call a number from a little sign on a road corner, and have a nice man with a roll-body truck come around and take the 6 cars and pickups away and hand them $1000 cash.   If you're making part-time minimum wage, $1000 is a lot of money - a couple months worth of groceries, maybe, or a used transmission for the one car that IS running and just broke, so you can get to work.

Any reason for NOT doing it (unless someone can come up with another suggestion) indicates some kind of mental warpedness or delusion.

1) I'm going to fix them up someday.

2) Once they get to be 25 years old they'll be "Antiques" according to the law and be worth a lot of money, I'll sell them then.

3) I might need the parts off them for some reason.

4) I'm already making $10,000 a week making and selling meth, but live like a pauper so I can get my relief checks.

I sure can't think of any GOOD reasons ....

Lannis

Offline Bucky

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 11:57:08 AM »
Old guy who lived on the other side of our county gave me a lot of insight into some of these fellers.

He had an original '40 Ford V8 Convertible that he drove for years, and it was in nice shape.   He didn't have a shed (he lived in a small house in the country, didn't have much money, or didn't show it) so the car was always parked in front of the house, where you could see it from the road.

He got to where he didn't really drive it any more, and he sat on the porch most of the day.   As you can imagine, word had gotten around, and people would pull up from far and wide asking if the car was for sale.

My dream car.... :sad:

He took great pleasure in telling them that the car was his, it was NOT for sale, and they could go and do the other thing.

A few more years and he didn't drive it at all.   It just sat in the yard, tires going flat, and eventually the convertible top started getting holes in it.   He couldn't sit outside as much, but he had just as many people stopping to ask about it, and just as stridently told them it was not for sale.

Eventually, after 20 years of this (around 2002 or so), the top had caved in, and the car was full of leaves and water.   By the time he died, it was just a rusty wreck, no floors, sagging in the middle, good for a few trim parts.

I had talked to him once or twice, and I'm convinced that he really enjoyed having people lusting after something HE had, and that THEY wanted, and he could say "NO!" to them.   It's not like he couldn't have used the money (again, as far as I could tell - he might have had a bag of gold bezants and Spanish doubloons buried under the chicken shed).   

Lannis
1973 Eldorado

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 01:21:29 PM »
Shows the difference in men. I even keep my 33 year old Honda push mower in the dry as well as service it every spring. It’s my personal belief that anyone who would abuse a fine mechine has little discipline in other important aspects of their lives. Sorry, I guess I’m just old school.

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 01:46:58 PM »
My neighbor wheeled an $800 ( cost new in 2003) bicycle out for trash pick up last week.  I checked the attached odometer, 62 miles.  Some Pledge, two tires and a little lube and it is nice 27in./700mm Trek bike. 

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 04:09:05 PM »
There's a Karmann Ghia about a half mile from me up a driveway on a private road in this condition.  There's a tow strap lying over the roof.  No windows.  Vegetation growing through the bumpers.  Right now it's full of snow and ice.  I keep thinking I'd like to rescue it, but lacking funds it would just continue to rot in my driveway instead of his.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 12:30:23 AM »
To anyone in Australia over 50.
That would mean something else entirely !

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 06:01:24 AM »
I have two non going cars in sheds, a 1949 Peugeot 203 and a 1985 Peugeot 505.
It's probably never going to happen but one day I might get either or both going.
They are under cover so if the time comes when I admit defeat they can be handed on to the next restorer in line.
Till then they sit, probably deteriorating slowly, but not rotting. They are not worth anything much even restored, because the current  fashion is for American muscle cars and old Aussie crap that was American designed like the Holdens and Fords from the 1950's on.
For some reason French cool cars are not even considered in the collector fraternity though in many ways they are and were much better cars.
But the bottom line with collector cars is first the choice and then the scarcity. So precisely because of so many stories like the above  of people just allowing stuff to rust away, there ends up being less and that makes the survivors worth more.
It's been happening with Guzzis of late. Twelve years ago I bought my Cali3 for $6800. These days I think they are worth more.
Certainly EV Calis that I could have bought then for $8K are now apparently $11K. Lemans that were $4K are now $22K
It's starting because once there's a scarcity people start remembering all the good qualities and then they see one after a drought of a few years and they swoop.

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 07:32:53 AM »

And so I do NOT understand why these folks don't simply call a number from a little sign on a road corner, and have a nice man with a roll-body truck come around and take the 6 cars and pickups away and hand them $1000 cash.   

I think along those same lines. Trying not to judge anyone I don't know personally, but I don't understand why being poor is any reason to not pick up the trash surrounding you.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 07:41:34 AM »
I think along those same lines. Trying not to judge anyone I don't know personally, but I don't understand why being poor is any reason to not pick up the trash surrounding you.

It's a middle class conundrum.

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 10:09:25 AM »
There's an old Eldorado rusting away in a damp garage, been there for 20 years with the heads off, owner bought it new and claimed to love it then one day he had an accident at work that left him almost immobile.
Still dreamed about restoring it to it's former glory all blinged out in metal-flake paint and cheap trinkets.
He also picked up a Japanese cruiser he planned to turn into a trike to get back on the road, pulled a few bits off it for no obvious reason, it was quickly deteriorating also due to the damp.

Then one day he saw an add on craigslist wanting an old Guzzi in any shape, running or not.
That's when he phoned me, $200 later it was gone and he moved on to better things, happy in the knowledge that the bike he loved so much was in a better home.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 10:33:43 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 11:12:15 AM »
There's an old Eldorado rusting away in a damp garage, been there for 20 years with the heads off, owner bought it new and claimed to love it then one day he had an accident at work that left him almost immobile.
Still dreamed about restoring it to it's former glory all blinged out in metal-flake paint and cheap trinkets.
He also picked up a Japanese cruiser he planned to turn into a trike to get back on the road, pulled a few bits off it for no obvious reason, it was quickly deteriorating also due to the damp.
Then one day he saw an add on craigslist wanting an old Guzzi in any shape, running or not.
That's when he phoned me, $200 later it was gone and he moved on to better things, happy in the knowledge that the bike he loved so much was in a better home.

“And here also is your brooch, Pippin,” said Aragorn. “I have kept it safe, for it is a very precious thing.”
“I know,” said Pippin. “It was a wrench to let it go; but what else could I do?”
“Nothing else,” answered Aragorn. “One who cannot cast away a treasure at need is in fetters. You did rightly.”

No need in being chained to 'things' out of some misguided sense of possession.

Makes me wonder whether someone who will very obviously never be able to use something again, but who insists on holding on to it because "they will get to it someday" is in a healthy state of mind. 

Maybe the "dream" of an 87-year-old man living on social security, who still owns an Ercoupe needing a full rebuild and won't let it go because he's going to "restore" it, helps him keep going?   Or maybe it prevents him from enjoying life in ways he hasn't thought of.

I tend to think that there are healthier ways to face the future, and I can only hope that I can do the right thing when I get there in a few years ... !

Lannis

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2018, 12:30:50 PM »
No need in being chained to 'things' out of some misguided sense of possession.

...... Or maybe it prevents him from enjoying life in ways he hasn't thought of.

Lannis

I'll admit I DID agonize over selling my bone-stock, beautifully used and patina-ed 1966 Ford F250 last year when it finally was showing signs of needing TLC. Cal truck, 300-six, 4-sp with Granny, 7500 lb GVWR, I used it continuously for 12 yrs hauling everything. I tried to keep it, reasoning that I'd never find another one like it in these parts. Got thumbs up and offers to buy it every time I drove it.

But I had no place to keep it, it would have sat outside for years until I "got around" to fixing it. THAT was a more painful thought, to me, than keeping it; watching it fester away....so I sold it, and sleep well at night.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 01:28:06 PM »
I have two non going cars in sheds, a 1949 Peugeot 203 and a 1985 Peugeot 505.
For some reason French cool cars...

This was a good chuckle.  The only thing cool about Peugeot have been their bicycles, but the Peugeot 505 was a notorious heap of junk...and that's putting it diplomatically!

I drove a Peugeot 406 while in Argentina, decent enough car for a 4 door sedan, but not particularly noteworthy in handling, acceleration, braking or any other feature...more or less a French Toyota Camry in my view...
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

oldbike54

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 01:50:09 PM »
 There is a Vincent Rapide sitting in a garage here in Muskogee . Not moved in some 45 years , just wasting away forlornly covered with an old blanket . For several years the owner would stop wherever I was working and discuss the idea of a restoration , the first couple of times I thought he might be serious , so advised him who was capable of doing the work . We had a couple of guys who had moved to town in the 1970's to restore bikes for the Leake museum/collection . Had a conversation with those guys re the cost , seem to remember a figure of $15K for a turnkey resto (this was in the late 80's) , and relayed the info . The owner seemed enthused , and then did nothing. Finally decided he was never gonna do anything with the Vinnie , except stop me and talk about it .

Dusty

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 02:41:30 PM »
There is a Vincent Rapide sitting in a garage here in Muskogee . Not moved in some 45 years , just wasting away forlornly covered with an old blanket . For several years the owner would stop wherever I was working and discuss the idea of a restoration , the first couple of times I thought he might be serious , so advised him who was capable of doing the work . We had a couple of guys who had moved to town in the 1970's to restore bikes for the Leake museum/collection . Had a conversation with those guys re the cost , seem to remember a figure of $15K for a turnkey resto (this was in the late 80's) , and relayed the info . The owner seemed enthused , and then did nothing. Finally decided he was never gonna do anything with the Vinnie , except stop me and talk about it .

Dusty
Offer to restore it and split any profit down the middle when you sell it.
A win win
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 11:42:08 AM by oldbike54 »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 03:37:06 PM »
   There was an E-Type Roadster in Ann Arbor that I looked at several times. I didn't have any money or knowledge at the time but I would have loved to try.  It rotted into the ground as well.
   Later in life a '70 Corvette 427, same thing but only 2 miles from home... Never at the right time...

Now I don't want those projects, in fact I have a few I'd like sell off (bicycles) not big bucks, but clutter removal.
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 04:46:38 PM »
Like the comedian said, "Southerners are proud, and proud of their stuff. That's why they put it all in the front yard..."  :laugh:
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline luthier

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2018, 05:23:26 PM »
This was a good chuckle.  The only thing cool about Peugeot have been their bicycles, but the Peugeot 505 was a notorious heap of junk...and that's putting it diplomatically!

I drove a Peugeot 406 while in Argentina, decent enough car for a 4 door sedan, but not particularly noteworthy in handling, acceleration, braking or any other feature...more or less a French Toyota Camry in my view...
I have two 406HDI diesels. They are ordinary in some ways but handle much better than Japanese counterparts. However where they shine is firstly in fuel economy where they get 1400K's for a 70litre tank of diesel and secondly they have amazing torque going up hills. They are not fast off the mark or on the flat but point them up a hill and they leave everyone behind.
203's are cool in most people's eyes and of late 505's are gaining a bit more interest.
They have a beautiful strong engine that puts out round 100hp. They handle exceptionally well due to one and a half degrees of negative camber  on all four wheels and in good condition they look great.
It's attitudes like yours however that make cars like old Holdens and Fords worth heaps while the French cars  aren't.
The old FJ Holden from the 50's is such a bucket of pus with rubber mounted crossmember that flogs about , terrible bench seat , sloppy 3 speed gearbox on the tree, but they do look cool when renovated. Everything from there on is pretty ugly to my eyes and even new they all handled like a mattress balancing on a bottle of wine.
So there you go, more chuckle material.

Offline hidn45

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 11:34:45 AM »

image posting sites

.... but back on topic, when I was a mere lad, my runnin' buddies & I were Europhiles - they drove Saabs, Renaults, & BMW's, while I dreamt of VW's, & MG's....  Two brothers in the group had a neighbor with an MG TC sitting covered in the back of his garage, turned crossways against the wall.  The garage door was gone, so you could always see it, if you knew it was there.  We pestered him for years about that car, but he wouldn't hear it...  Don't know what became of it - garage is still standing, but the MG is gone.  I satisfied my VW lust & forgot about it, until now....

Thanks for the memories....
Y2K Bassa - "Benedetta" (sold)
1986 Cali II - "Moose"
1977 T-3 [formerly FB] - name TBD

MGNOC member # 22,000

oldbike54

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 11:46:08 AM »
 Kiwi Roy , to answer your proposal , while I am a fairly talented amateur mechanic , a Vincent restoration is not an easy thing to accomplish , and while I have actually tinkered with a Viinie to get it running , a full blown resto is way beyond my capabilities . Guessing by the time the experts were paid the project would be far into the red  :shocked:

Dusty

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 01:12:05 PM »
Kiwi Roy , to answer your proposal , while I am a fairly talented amateur mechanic , a Vincent restoration is not an easy thing to accomplish , and while I have actually tinkered with a Viinie to get it running , a full blown resto is way beyond my capabilities . Guessing by the time the experts were paid the project would be far into the red  :shocked:

Dusty

I have a pic of a '53 Vincente Rapide that was at last fall's New England Italian get-together that had a $64k For Sale sign on it. A nice close-up of the engine is my computer screen desktop image. Absolutely beautiful. Anyone who had one festering away with no intention of restoring OR allowing someone else to restore it and lets it rot absolutely has mental problems. Now, if an owner of such a beast admitted that he didn't have the $$ to restore, but also had no intention of selling, BUT otherwise took care of it to make sure it was warm at night and tucked in out of the elements, that's a different story.

I worked with an old Brit back in Long Beach in the 80's that was a lifelong batchelor and had a Vincente he kept in his apartment, right in the kitchen or living room. I don't think he ever rode it, but regularly turned the engine over to make sure the valve springs didn't take a "set". He said he scared off a lot of potential wives that way, didn't regret it for a minute! THAT'S my kind of "collector"!
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 07:58:28 PM »
When I was an apprentice I had a Vincent Comet 500cc single. I couldn't afford to maintain it on apprentice wages so I built up the cams with an arc welder and had one of the machinists turn down a loco valve for the exhaust
Wish I still had it today.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:37:47 PM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here