Author Topic: The latest "whale" to hit the shores...although a high-performance whale...  (Read 3433 times)

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
2018 BMW K1600 "Grand America"...in Austin Yellow. :thumb: :cool: :1:

url for an image
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Wet weight 802 lbs.   :shocked:  :grin: :grin: :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
Wet weight 802 lbs.   :shocked:  :grin: :grin: :grin:

Oh yes...and not to be confused with the wet weight of "Moby Dick", aka The Great White Whale at an astonishing and beyond belief weight of 871 pounds!!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

But then again, if you check - Gold Wings, new Harley Ultra-Glides, new Indian Roadmaster, etc, ...they are ALL >800-900 pound two wheel lead sleds!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:42:16 PM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Only matters when they're taking a nap.   :grin:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
The new `18 Honda Gold Wings are among the lightest whales now @ 787# dry and are getting rave reviews for their handling, comfort, performance w/the same motor (1833 cc).
http://www.motorcycledaily.com.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:52:44 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
it's the big Beeemer with forward mounts on it. 

Takes a big tech bike and make it less sporty. IMO
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

twowings

Hmmm...looks like supreme long-distance comfort!

OTOH, IF I was lucky enough to have a companion to ride with, I'd rather spend that kind of dough on bikes for the both of us... :cool:

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Weight matters. If you ride long distances in a straight line on the interstate, with trucks everywhere creating swirling vortices of gale-force winds, weight is your friend.

My Norge is too light for that kind of travel--which seems to be most of my riding lately, from my home in Olympia to my office in Lake Oswego and then back again, as fast as possible. (My tires are becoming flat in the middle!)

My heavy-weight land yacht is better for that kind of travel. Perhaps something like this new BMW would be just the ticket for riding rather than driving that kind of commute.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:05:38 PM by JeffOlson »
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Weight matters. If you ride long distances in a straight line on the interstate, with trucks everywhere creating swirling vortices of gale-force winds, weight is your friend.

My Norge is too light for that kind of travel--which seems to be most of my riding lately, from my home in Olympia to my office in Lake Oswego and then back again, as fast as possible. (My tires are becoming flat in the middle!)

My heavy-weight land yacht is better for that kind of travel. Perhaps something like this new BMW would be just the ticket for riding rather than driving that kind of commute.

I imagine Gold wing or the big Beemer would fill the bill.  My point is that the standard model might be more comfy with mid mount controls vs forward controls.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Calculon

• Hatchling
which seems to be most of my riding lately, from my home in Olympia to my office in Lake Oswego and then back again, as fast as possible.

I moved because I didn't like doing 30 minutes each way.
2015 Honda Forza 300 ABS

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
Re: The latest "whale" to hit the shores...although a high-performance whale...
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 08:07:09 AM »
From JeffOlson:

My Norge is too light for that kind of travel

As much as I love the Norge it's plastic causes a lot of the problem with vortexes and wind. My T-3 handles most of those conditions better.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 09:09:04 AM »
A coworker retrieved his K1600 BMW this week after a major service, replacing a defective ignition coil (one was found faulty, the real source of his running issue) and some brake work.  The bill was $3200.

canuck750

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 09:55:50 AM »
My K1600 whale handles better than the R1150RT I had before it and it feels lighter once on the move. As whales go the K1600 is an amazing machine.

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 04:58:08 PM »
A coworker retrieved his K1600 BMW this week after a major service, replacing a defective ignition coil (one was found faulty, the real source of his running issue) and some brake work.  The bill was $3200.
  I've always said, "riding a motorcycle is risky, riding a BMW out of warranty is terrifying." 

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 05:07:07 PM »

My brother has the K1600 "Exclusive".   Top of the top model. He told me was glad to have purchased the extended warranty because the front electronically controlled strut had to be replaced for $2800.   

Funny, a riding buddy with newer naked R bike said he was glad he had the extended warranty because the fork needed replacement, $2300. 

I don't have the details for either case.   :violent1:
John L 

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 05:34:57 PM »
We don't want to get too amazed by BMW prices ... Curtis H. just noted the other day that a new EV fuel tank from Guzzi costs $2300+ .....

There's an upper limit to motorcycle weight, cost, and complexity, but we haven't found it yet.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 06:25:10 PM »
The new `18 Honda Gold Wings are among the lightest whales now @ 787# dry and are getting rave reviews for their handling, comfort, performance w/the same motor (1833 cc).
http://www.motorcycledaily.com.
Not the same motor - it's 1cc bigger and a complete re-engineered box.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2018, 06:33:52 PM »
Hmmm...looks like supreme long-distance comfort!

OTOH, IF I was lucky enough to have a companion to ride with, I'd rather spend that kind of dough on bikes for the both of us... :cool:

Pretty much the reason I recently purchased a 2008 Goldwing.  The wife enjoys riding on the back of the Norge when she is an active participant (playing in the canyons and on back roads), but the wind buffeting she gets while droning along on the freeway is too uncomfortable to talk her into all day rides to Arizona, San Francisco, or further.  On the 'Wing, she is very comfortable all day long.  Add in hooking her to the on-board comm system and she gets to enjoy XM radio with me and she is very happy.

Yep - that was a winning solution.

Oh, and wet weight on a non-airbag 1800 is just over 900 lbs.  You can sure feel it at low speeds when compared to the Norge, but reverse gear is nice  :laugh:

Prada, Marfa, Texas
by John, on Flickr

Taken on the way home from picking her up  in Palestine, Texas.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2018, 07:41:38 PM »
I've noticed that since I have gotten older, crosswinds don't bother me as much :wink:.  JJ your bike is the coolest looking but do you ever feel like dressing up like Judge Dredd when you ride that thing?

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 07:47:07 AM »
I've noticed that since I have gotten older, crosswinds don't bother me as much :wink:.  JJ your bike is the coolest looking but do you ever feel like dressing up like Judge Dredd when you ride that thing?

Hi Jim - To answer your question..."No" - but wherever I park "Moby Dick" (La Ballena Blanca, aka The White Whale"), I do get a lot of:  "What the hell is that?" and..."Geeez...that's a big motorcycle!"  :laugh: :grin: :wink:

QUOTE:   I've always said, "riding a motorcycle is risky, riding a BMW out of warranty is terrifying." 

BMW = Bring Money With...
BMW - Break My Wallet...

I love Beeners, have owned and ridden 4 boxer airheads in my time...also owned a 1993 BMW 325is two-door coupe for 7 years....great performance machines overall...but when it come time for service / maintenance time...."Oh My..." :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: - - you have to "cough" BIG TIME!! :wink:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 07:47:54 AM by JJ »
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 08:29:49 AM »

I'd rather have this Fiat than one of those bloated bikes and it probably costs the same or less.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 08:31:42 AM »
Long ago I had enough of bmw. The extended warrantee is compulsory, imv. Doesn't that say the obvious about potential reliability AND downtime?  R3~

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 09:27:22 AM »

I'd rather have this Fiat than one of those bloated bikes and it probably costs the same or less.

For approximate perspective...

'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 11:10:50 AM »
I’ve ridden big bikes and they are more comfortable for two. However, I just can’t forget that time a friend got his Road Glide stuck front-first in a downhill parking space...it took three of us to push it uphill enough to get him out. My Vintage (635 lbs wet) is likely to be the biggest bike I’ll ever own.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 01:08:59 PM »
I�ve ridden big bikes and they are more comfortable for two. However, I just can�t forget that time a friend got his Road Glide stuck front-first in a downhill parking space...it took three of us to push it uphill enough to get him out. My Vintage (635 lbs wet) is likely to be the biggest bike I�ll ever own.

You learn that very quickly about "position-parking" when you shuttle around a 871 pound motorcycle!! :shocked: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 03:02:32 PM »
Hacks too.   :grin:  So far no problem parking mine but I'm always aware of the parking.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here