Author Topic: how good is JB Weld? UPDATE  (Read 9994 times)

Offline Offcamber1

• Guzzi Hero
how good is JB Weld? UPDATE
« on: February 20, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »
Ok, I have a metal fuel line coming out of the top of the gas tank on my 94 Toyota pickup and it has sprung a pin-hole rust through leak.  Checking on a Toyota truck forum, the tank is a real pain to drop, and I really don't have what it takes to pull the bed, which is the recommended procedure.  The pinhole is right near a bracket that holds it to the top of the tank, so I can't just cut and splice with a piece of rubber hose and hose clamps.

Soooo, as I can just get my hand in there, is there any future in cleaning off the metal pipe with a small brass brush and gobbing a whole bunch of JB weld on it?

Did not work on the high pressure fuel line.  Nuts!  Got to drop the tank or pull the bed to repair.  Nuts!  Damned unreliable Japanese truck; it is only 17 years old and only has 310,000 miles on it.  Nuts!  Do you think they will cover it under warranty?

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:59:29 PM by Offcamber1 »
Its a fair cop, but society is to blame.

Offline John Ulrich

• Guzzi Hero
Re: how good is JB Weld?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2011, 06:14:07 PM »
I used it this summer to stop a split on the outside water faucet which is under pressure.
It's held for 20 yrs now on some sort of EGR do-hickey on my vette.
Eagan, Minne-snow-ta
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800
'51 Astore, '72 Ambassador, '99 Bassa, '03 Wing
AMA, AMCA      
http://minnesota.mgnoc.com/

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »
If you go that way think about a tiny hose clamp or maybe zip tie near the hole if possible. Then make sure the JBW goes the whole circumference of the line and covers the tie/clamp as an added anchor. I've done it before.

Oh, and how good is it? My stator cover really likes it -

Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Old-Duckman

• Sunday Rider
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2011, 06:23:36 PM »
I use it to seal a crack in the 72 Ducati 750 GT case where the kick start lever jambs into the case and tends to make a crack. I have owned the bike since the mid 90's and used JB weld to effectively seal the crack but have had to redo it 3 times in that time span.

I think the reason I have had to redo it is that I have never done it with an empty crank case so though I cleaned it w/solvent, there still had to be some oil present. I think if you clean and scuff your problem area it would probably hold longer...For the price, worth a try...!

Offline dilligaf

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »
Back in the day, a long long time ago we us to repair Japanese motorcycle clutch and stator covers with it all the time.  Last summer the guys at the Boat Shop repaired the pressure washer with it.  What have you got to lose?
Matt
SP1000NT
Le Mans IV SE
Ducati ST2
K75S 
K75C
R65LS
R100GS
TW200
Couillon Cycliers SE rep.

Offline Seagondollar

• Guzzi Hero
  • Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 06:27:39 PM »
Some years ago, my brother got a used washing machine that the nut on the agitator had stripped out, therefore it was free.  JB Weld to the rescue and I suppose he still has the same one.  

Richard Childress racing uses it in the oil valleys of their engines to glue a screen onto the return port for engine oil.  When I visited there in 2002 they had over 180 engines that they supported in their own cars and those they rented.  I think that speaks volumes.  
2002 BMW 330i
1988 Toyota MR2
1974 V7 Sport
1989 Le Mans 1000 (V) - morto

Offline Tobit

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 06:33:44 PM »
If you can get it where you need it, it's great stuff.  I repaired a broken crankcase on my Montesa 349 with it and never had a problem.  The kickstarter stop had punched through from the countershaft area to the alternator.  Bending and filing a new bit of strap aluminum to fit the hole and using JB Weld took care of it.

Tobit
Roman

'86 LeMans IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Steven Wright

Offline old head

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 06:40:23 PM »
I repaired a boss on my Saturn that sheared off when a rocker arm broke in half.  The head is made of some kind of alloy and was very dirty being under the valve cover.  I cleaned it very good and then put a small layer of JB weld and clamped the boss back in place.  Then preceded to apply several think coats on the outside of the broken piece, then retapped the hole and reassembled it.  It was running fine 100k later.  It was ugly, but a lot cheaper than a new head casting.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline dilligaf

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 06:47:26 PM »
I would say, based on what folks are saying, it's right  good.
Matt
SP1000NT
Le Mans IV SE
Ducati ST2
K75S 
K75C
R65LS
R100GS
TW200
Couillon Cycliers SE rep.

Offline gusanito

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 07:43:37 PM »
I tried doing the JBW on a vent line inside a K75 gas tank. Within a few weeks, it was flaking off. I replaced it with Permatex Gas Tank and Radiator Repair putty from Advance Auto and it's been on there for over 6 months.

George
Quincy, Fl

Offline maquette

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 08:12:18 PM »
You might want to try Seals All. It comes in a small yellow tube and is sold in most auto parts stores. No mixing, just squeeze on and let dry. Worked for me for quite some time on an old gas tank.

Tom
Oriental, NC
Tom
Oriental, NC

'09 KLX250S
'02 ST1100
'79 1000SP w/Velorex sidecar
'72 Eldorado

Offline nowgrn4

• Guzzi Hero
  • It's not how fast you go, it's how little you slow
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 08:26:06 PM »
Rough up the area with some 60 grit sand paper to give the area a "Tooth". Clean thoroughly with alcohol and give it a shot.
00' Quota
00' Miata
 "To add speed,add lightness"
                       Colin Chapman

Offline Lank

• Guzzi Hero
  • Been there and done that
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 10:27:37 PM »
I fixed a leak on an oil pan with Bondo, that was before I could afford J B Kwik.  Just wiped it off with lacquer thinner and put the Bondo on just before it flashed.  Worked until I sold the car a few years later.  I also bed rifles with either Bondo or J B Kwik, they shoot just fine.
Current stash:  Riders.. 08 Norge,  ZX12R Kawasaki, 1200S Bandit drag bike, 1967 305 Yamaha Cross Country, 1967 120 Suzuki, 1973 Honda CB750

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear....or a fool from any direction.

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Guzzi Hero
  • Don't mess with Wisconsin!
    • Griso
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 10:34:04 PM »
Since it's rusty, the jb weld may not hold well, and if it does, the other rusty areas may develop holes soon.
Is it possible to cut the metal gas line in 2 different places and route a rubber fuel line around the gas tank bracket?
Or, can you remove the rust around the pinhole, add jb weld (or similar product) over it, put a small piece of fuel resistant rubber over the hole, and a hose clamp over that?
Ken

2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black
1978 V50 II Blue-Gone
Waiting on a sign from God. Or a nod from hell.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Guzzi Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 01:15:26 AM »
JB might hold if you get it really shiney rough prepped first and dry it with acetone before application.
However when I worked in  trackter shop, we had some special preparation for fuel leaks that was really dependable.  I can't remember what is was called but a google search may bring it up.

Sasquatch Jim
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline rodekyll

• Guzzi Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 02:31:56 AM »
Is it possible to cut an access hole in the bed to do the job better?  It's hard to imagine a single pinhole.  There either is or will be more.  The proper thing to do is do it right.  I had a similar situation with my old Falcon van and cut a square plate out of the deck and made the repair.  I got a bigger square of the same stuff at the wrecking yard and made a hatch for future access.  You could fishplate the bit you cut out and make a hatch. 

A brass brush isn't going to clean the corrosion out of a pinhole.  If you don't clean up the hole it will continue to erode around whatever you plug it with.  If there's nothing structural about the pipe and no pressure at that point a fuel-proof silicone RTV-type sealer should do the job.  I'll call it the 'mender'.  JB weld and other epoxies will work too.  It's a matter of choice.  As long as it's fuel proof and doesn't require open flame to install there are lots of choices.  But the key is the prep.  You can't just slap a sealer on it and expect it to work.

That said,  for the short term hopefully you can get at it well enough to:
polish an inch either side of the known leak with crocus cloth
Keeping in mind that it's a freaking bomb, dig or drill/dremel/file whatever the known hole clean and large enough to get the mender  into. It's got to be clean metal. 
follow up with a clean cloth and electro-motive or similar residue-free solvent
check for more and repeat as needed for all suspect areas.  Use a mirror if you have one.  Look for tiny cracks and other excuses to want to do it right.
spot treat the hole(s) with your mender.  A clipped off piece of zip tie makes an excellent applicator.  Let it set up but not harden
coat the entire cleaned area with a thin, even wipe of mender
when dry, sleeve with a split bit of fuel line (split part down)

Keep in mind that this is a temporary fix.  YMMV YDHIFM

Offline ratguzzi

• Guzzi Hero
    • road kill
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 04:52:16 AM »
http://www.johnboettcher.com/ra03-00/ra3-00a.htm

From when I used to write for the MGNOC, my JB Weld encounter. I think that trans made at least another 60k before 5th gear blew.
raT3 from the early days.

JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline cwiseman

• Guzzi Hero
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 07:23:49 AM »
I have a fuel line repair kit just for metal fuel lines you would be welcome to use, cut the bad section out & make new line
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal ride 2007 Calvin & 72 Eldo
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Offline Mauro

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 07:40:28 AM »
It surprises me that many have had good luck with JB  ??? My experience with it has never been good  ??? I guess I'm not as good as I thought I was  ???

Offline Lank

• Guzzi Hero
  • Been there and done that
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
Before there was JB Weld there was A4 Metalset.  At least in my lifetime.  We repaired holes in raggedy old helicopters with that stuff.  Believe me it was coveted.  It could fix about anything.  One of my pastimes was counting repairs in floors, engine decks and fuselages on the old warriors.
Current stash:  Riders.. 08 Norge,  ZX12R Kawasaki, 1200S Bandit drag bike, 1967 305 Yamaha Cross Country, 1967 120 Suzuki, 1973 Honda CB750

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear....or a fool from any direction.

Offline PeteS

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 09:27:28 AM »
I wouldn't trust JB Weld with gasoline. I use a Permatex/Loctite product made to repair gas tanks. Used it on my LeMans tank in fact and it held for 8 years. Looks like a toostie roll and is a two part product that you cut and knead together to mix it.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-12020-Instant-Tank-Repair/dp/B000ALG8RS

Pete
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:29:38 AM by PeteS »

Offline jcctx

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »
Years ago there was a product similar to JB Weld called "Liquid Steel"; I used it to repair stripped threads (exhaust header stud) on a Mustang scooter block. Was still holding a couple years later when I sold it.

Offline Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester

• Weekend Warrior
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 02:22:05 PM »
i've used jb kwik to rebuild a gash in a gasket surface on a cyl head from a vintage bmw and it's held up for 5 years now, despite all the temperature changes heads go through.

however, jb is less reliable in contact with gasoline, i think.  anecdotal evidence.

my main concern would be that if there is a pinhole of rust on a gas tank, it probably means that there is lots of rust elsewhere and the rest of the gas tank around that pinhole and who knows where else is already rusted and weak and thin too, and is also about to give way.

Offline Tom

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 02:36:49 PM »
Repaired a K75 gas tank with Marine Tex.  Designed to be used on a fuel tank.  JB Weld I'd use if no other choice.  The Permatex porduct is probably preferable.  Marine Tex makes a putty like application too.  IF you have one gas leak due to rust.  You'll have another one.  Good luck!

http://www.marinetex.com/
There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.

Online Matt Story

• Guzzi Mentor
  • Flint, MI
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 05:52:11 PM »
I don't doubt that jbweld could work for this if you can get it well prepped.  I have many more successes than failures with it.  There are however special epoxies made for leaky gas tanks.  One of them worked well for me on an old rusty tank.  Don't know which one, its been a long time.  One thing different is that your gasline will have alot more pressure inside than the bottom of tank.

Matt
'75 850T - First & only owner
'77 Honda CB750 Supersport

Flint, MI

Offline elvisboy77

• Guzzi Hero
  • Permanent Guzzi Addict
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 08:18:12 PM »
Wait just a cotton picking minute.  According to a lot of people, Toyotas and Hondas are perfect and run 300k miles with absolutely no repairs needed.  Unlike those american cars.

So I think you should approach Toyota and tell them you need them to give you a new truck.  Oh, what a feeling!!
ISO a 1400....

Offline rossw

• Guzzi Mentor
  • My wife let me have a motorbike again.
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 09:31:29 PM »
As others have suggested, replace the tank. The pinhole you can see is just the worst one. Plug that, and the next worst one will appear soon after -  and so on.
2003 Moto Guzzi V750ie Breva. It may not be fast, but it's mine!
Previously: 1976 Honda CB200
                       1980 Suzuki GS450S
                       1985 Kawasaki GPz900R
                       1980 Honda CB250RS

Online charlie b

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 10:39:45 PM »
As above, for a quick, short term it might work, but, another hole will probably soon appear.

I used JBW to repair the high side of an auto air conditioner line that ran to the condenser (hot and high pressure).  It held for about a month, time enough for me to get a replacement line.

The key is cleaning.
1984 850 T5
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500
2011 Honda Element

Offline Furbo

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 06:52:44 AM »
JB Weld is GREAT stuff, at least the genuine original is - there are alot of imitaitons.

That said - getting all the chemicals and crud off the spot is key to good adheasion. If you cant get it real clean - it wont be fuel proof. 
Vicenza, Italy
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10

Offline mphcycles

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »
 try a product called Seal-all from Eclectic products.  its made for gas and oil  leaks.  JB has not worked every time for me. 
Mike Haven
MPH Cycles
16510 Park Row
Houston, Texas 77084
281 647 6557
www.mphcycles.com
 (Please just email me ,  I dont PM)

Staccatocycle.com
Eni/Agip Engine & Gear Oils & Coolants
staccatocycle.com
Advertise Here

MPH Cycles
Texas's #1 Moto Guzzi dealer since 2000!
http://www.mphcycles.com/
Advertise Here