Please login or register to get all features
Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
October 30, 2014, 01:28:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Free Classifieds, Auctions and Wanteds available now. Click HERE

Home   Help Advertise Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kutter fairing.............I am just curious  (Read 1764 times)
custimguitarman
Trade Count: (0)
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2011, 10:24:12 PM »
ReplyReply

What is something like this worth? Not the whole bike. Fairing........

" the hell they don't, what they really mean is they want MORE money, MUCH more" - William S. Burroughs

MGNOC # 22030
2000 Quota
1976 LAPD (gone)
1992 DR350
1995 WR250
1975 850T

ASC certs
Toyota certified Platinum tech.
Mech. Eng.
Business
ETC......
Offcamber1
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 10:54:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Looks like a Vetter copy?  If it is local $55 to $75?  If it has to be shipped, then it is hardly worth the expense to box it and ship it, I would guess.

Its a fair cop, but society is to blame.
dilligaf
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 11:02:34 PM »
ReplyReply

Looks like a Vetter copy?  If it is local $55 to $75?  If it has to be shipped, then it is hardly worth the expense to box it and ship it, I would guess.

Not real sure but I think I would go +1 on that.
Matt

SP1000NT
Le Mans IV SE
Ducati ST2
K75S 
R65LS
R100GS
Couillon Cycliers SE rep.
Suncoast
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 11:09:53 PM »
ReplyReply

No real market for these big heavy clunkers...$25.00 maybe.... but what would you put it on?

Current rides: '01 KLR 650 (winter Bike)
                    '07 Breva 1100 L'altra donna (summer bike)
JPL
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 01:55:51 AM »
ReplyReply

≈  1980 V50II   ≈
Andy Sirvio
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 07:55:38 AM »
ReplyReply

I watched a guy buy one of those at the swap meet at Mid Ohio for $5 bucks one time... The swap meet dealer was tired of moving it around with him and said "make me an offer" !

It will always be better to be shot out of a cannon than sqeezed out of a tube - Hunter S. Thompson

Hunting for another Guzzi

'08 1200 Sport - Sold It
'04 Breva 750 Red - Sold It
'04 Breva 750 Silver - Gone
'03 California Aluminium -Gone
'89 Mille GT - Miss
'80 CX 100 Lemans - Don't Miss
gregglewis
Weekend Warrior

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 08:47:43 AM »
ReplyReply

Yeah I don't think they're worth anything either.  I thought everyone had one laying around, I'm hoping to give mine away some day.
BillinAbilene

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 08:53:18 AM »
ReplyReply

Yep, looks like a copy of a Vetter Windjammer.  And as has been said, heavy piece of stuff.

One of the biggest problems using these old things is they are frame mount - you'll have to build your own mount if you can't find one -  Shocked Shocked Shocked .  The mounts used to cost big bucks.

Look for something lighter and more easily mounted.  These were a good idea at the time (?) but have no real place in the "here and now" (IMHO), even on a classic bike.

Bill

Offcamber1
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 09:56:53 AM »
ReplyReply

Grin Grin ;DPriceless! Grin Grin Grin

OTOH, some of us oldsters have many thousands of miles behind a Windjammer or equivelent.  They made the bike top heavy, had the areodynamics of a barn door (thank you John Mills) but gave great coverage from bugs and cold and had a fair amount of storage to boot.

The Windjammer is what prompted Moto Guzzi to do the SPI fairing, and BMW to do the R100RT fairing.  So in that way it was a bit of a trend setter.

Its a fair cop, but society is to blame.
Shorty
Guzzi Hero

Be a simple kind of man.

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 01:15:12 PM »
ReplyReply

See if there is a local trike club. Those guys seem to be stuck in the 70s.... Wink A friend of mine used 2 of my old fairings like that on his VW trikes. Molded it right into his bodywork. They also go ape over those huge tail boxes that are way too big. The more chrome railings and doo dahs, the better... Cheesy Oh yeah, those chrome bolt on spikes are key triker stash too.....

2005 Bonneville/Dnepr Hack
2005 1200R Roadster
Honda Helix
Lannis
Guzzi Hero

Give up the formula ....

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 01:20:55 PM »
ReplyReply

They're so big and heavy that they're hard to sell except in person, and then sometimes you give them away.

I got a Bates fairing with two Bates panniers and a gigantic oversize top-box at MidOhio one year for free.    The guy hadn't been able to sell them and couldn't face loading them back up and taking them home, so I put them in my truck and took them home.   The panniers are doing workhorse duty on a Convert, the top box ended up being binned, and the fairing is still on my shelf, an answer awaiting a question .....

Lannis

MGNOC L-750
donn
Guzzi Hero

The thing is, I do want a pickle.

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 01:58:08 PM »
ReplyReply

One of the biggest problems using these old things is they are frame mount - you'll have to build your own mount if you can't find one -  Shocked Shocked Shocked .  The mounts used to cost big bucks.

Look for something lighter and more easily mounted.  These were a good idea at the time (?) but have no real place in the "here and now" (IMHO), even on a classic bike.

I've had lighter and more easily mounted windshields on my California II, and they were awful.  Yes, you need the hardware to mount it to the frame, but once you have that, the frame mount is one of the Windjammer's virtues - no feedback to the steering.  I don't notice the weight.  Might be different if you have one on a small motorcycle, but a California II is already fairly heavy.  I've read this "heavy" thing enough times that I wonder if they aren't all the same weight (mine is a Windjammer III), or there are jugs of motor oil stored in the pockets or something.

Looking around at the touring models offered by various motorcycle manufacturers, I see nothing but frame mounted fairings, that look they were designed by teenage boys with dyed orange hair.  If your motorcycle is otherwise suited to that use, and you want the wind protection, it's your choice - '60s windshield like an Eldo cop bike, or vastly superior '70s Windjammer, designed by Vetter, using a wind tunnel, to be ideal for motorcycle touring.  (Or you could get a copy of one.)

Esthetically, my motorcycle looks distinctly better with the Windjammer, it repeats the slight upsweep curve from the seat and tank, balances the slightly weird handlebars.  It sure doesn't look at all like a hamster getting its head crushed.
charlie b
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »
ReplyReply

I had a copy like that on a CB500-4.  Yep it was a bit heavy (20-30lb?) but it really did a decent job.  After I put leg shields on it was only a really heavy rain that I would get wet.  And winters it was nice too.  Made riding in desert windstorms bearable.

But, handling suffered a bit with all that weight on the front wheel.

1984 850 T5
2010 Honda VT700VA (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500
2011 Honda Element

Harper's Moto Guzzi
Harper's Moto Guzzi has your spring service kits ready to go. I know it's cold but don't wait to have your bike ready for next year. http://www.harpermoto.com/main-data-base/spring-service-kits.html
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tropic Powersports
Your Florida connection for Moto Guzzi Motorcycles, Parts and Accessories.
http://www.TropicPowersports.com
Advertise Here