Please login or register to get all features
Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
July 29, 2014, 04:51:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Free Classifieds, Auctions and Wanteds available now. Click HERE

Home   Help Advertise Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 1982 Honda CB 900 with 10 Speed Transmisson??  (Read 3205 times)
Stormtruck2
AKA Scotch and Cigars
Trade Count: (0)
Guzzi Hero

Geese Fly in a Proper V

Ignore
« on: August 13, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »
ReplyReply

I found a 82 Honda CB 900 10 spd for sale from a friend for $1,000. New rubber, runs great, rides good, needs new fork seals, he has them.    I rode it, but that 10 speed is weird as hell. Never even heard of it before. Anyone here familier with them?  Seriously thinking of picking it up just for the freak factor.

If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Gutsibits - The Moto Guzzi Spares Service
New, Used and Recon Spares & Accessories | Secure online ordering and rapid delivery worldwide
www.gutsibits.co.uk
Advertise Here
ohiorider
Guzzi Hero

"You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 05:58:23 PM »
ReplyReply

What gives it the additional 5 gears?  A two speed rear end, or some sort of overdrive built into the transmission?  Sounds interesting .... LO range for the twisties, and HI for the highway.

Bob

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport
Recent addition:  2012 Griso 8v SE
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
Stormtruck2
AKA Scotch and Cigars
Guzzi Hero

Geese Fly in a Proper V

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 06:19:48 PM »
ReplyReply

It has a second shift lever above and behind the usual lever. You can split the gears like a semi or just select high in fifth and really drop the RPMs.  Was cool to play with to say the least. I'm tempted to buy it, but have never heard of one.

They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé
dsenn

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 06:22:17 PM »
ReplyReply

that bike uses an engine designed for a left side drive but has a right side shaft, so there is basicly a 2 speed jackshaft to move the drive from left to right. heres an excerpt form an article on it.
The Sub-transmission is used as a "jack shaft". That is, in order for Honda to use the CB900F engine in conjunction with the GL swingarm and final shaft drive, power must be taken from the CB900F's left hand power take off and transferred to the GL's right hand side final drive shaft. The "Jack Shaft" was given 2 gear ranges ranges at relatively low cost. Most CB900C riders use the 2-Speed Transmission more like 6th gear overdrive. Leaving the bike in low range while shifting through the normal 5 gears, then shifting into high range once up to speed on highway, reducing engine rpm significantly at touring speeds.
egschade
Guzzi Mentor

Grandpa Frank 1929 - First MC cop in Caldwell, NJ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2011, 06:28:21 PM »
ReplyReply

Had something similar on an old Trail 90 though that was a 4-speed. That bike had an ultra-low range that would barely top 25mph in 4th.

The oldest Eric in NJ
07 Breva 1100
09 Suzuki GSX650F
84 Honda Ascot VT500F
waspp
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2011, 06:58:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Low range transmission, they are pretty cool and a good bike. I ride with a Honda guy who had 256000 miles on his and its a screamer. That double shift lever makes you scratch your head when you first see it!

03 Rosso Corsa
78 T3 cafe
79 Moto Morini 3 1/2
11 R1200 GS
09 F650 GS (wifes)
ohiorider
Guzzi Hero

"You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 07:09:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Reminds me of how we drove a buddy's Austin Healey 3000, with Laycock de Normanville overdrive (I think that's what the dash label said).  Here was our shift pattern when we were trying to impress ourselves!:

1st (no overdrive in first)
2nd
2nd overdrive
3rd
3rd overdrive
4th
4th overdrive

Kind of cool ..... a seven speed transmission, sort of.

Bob

« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 10:30:43 AM by ohiorider » Logged

Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport
Recent addition:  2012 Griso 8v SE
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
Arizona Wayne
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2011, 09:06:23 PM »
ReplyReply

Reminds me of how we drove a buddy's Austin Healey 3000, with Laycock de Normanville overdrive (I think that's what the dash label said).  Here was our shift pattern when we were trying to impress ourselves!:

1st (no overdrive in first)
2nd
2nd overdrive
3rd
3rd overdrive
4th
4th overdrive

Kind of cool ..... a sever speed transmission, sort of.

Bob

An old buddy I shared an apartment with had an AH 100/6 with that tranny.  Cool  His 1st gear had to be replaced about every 20K miles.   Cry

I had a Volvo P1800 w/4spd+ elect. overdrive on 4th. It was like having a 5th gear.   Cool

My son had a `69 Kawi. 110cc semi-dirt bike w/a dual 4 spd tranny.  Cool Like said the low range was so low you only used it in the dirt.  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 10:24:54 PM by Arizona Wayne » Logged
guzzi4me
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2011, 09:29:10 PM »
ReplyReply

I had a 1980 model in the fast blue color.

One of the best bikes I ever owned. Bought it used with 23k on her, sold with 87k. Got a phone call from the new owner a year and a half later said just passed 102k and couldn't kill it. Quite reliable.

The tranny had a splitter in it as previously stated. I kept mine in the low range around town and switched to hi range fifth on the freeway...an overdrive of sorts.

Even though I am passionate about Guzzi's now, if I could pick one back to have back from my Honda years it would be that one.

The last year of the run Honda bored it out to 1000cc. Didn't need to. The 900 had plenty of gofast in my opinion.

Ride safe and often,

Jeff

Jeff S
Lathrop CA

01 Jackal "Mistress"
104000 miles and even more smiles!
Sold..now exploring roads in the midwest.

02 Stone "Giada"
77000 miles and climbing!!!
Lee Bruns
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 10:47:49 PM »
ReplyReply

The CB900C was a great bike,. only 'weak' point I can think of is the Air cutoff valves. Just plan on replacing them every 20 years or so. The air cutoff valves do NOT like ethanol and you have to split the carb rack to replace them. I have a CB900C in the garage right now even. SWEET tug for a sidecar.

leafman60
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 08:05:12 AM »
ReplyReply

I remember that bike and it got good reviews.  I never heard anyone brag about the two-range transmission, though.  I think it was an answer to a question that nobody was asking.  As I recall, this model Honda also had the modular wheels.  They were cast but you could replace and rebuild the various cast sections of the wheel - another answer to a question nobody was asking.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 11:14:28 AM by leafman60 » Logged
Forseti
Sunday Rider

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 09:12:50 AM »
ReplyReply

My brother has 2 and is in the process of rebuilding one. He has been riding it for 20 plus years and loves it.

It is a pig in town but a great mile muncher.

Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.

Albert Einstein
custimguitarman
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 09:16:27 AM »
ReplyReply

An old friend here in town years ago used to let me come over and tinker with an old bike he had. The deal was if I could make the miserable thing run I could ride it. Was a 1974 Suzuki TC125. Had a 4 speed tranny with a flapper on top of the left case you could kick with your heel and switch between low and high. Low was really LOW.

Thanks for the memories!

" the hell they don't, what they really mean is they want MORE money, MUCH more" - William S. Burroughs

MGNOC # 22030
2000 Quota
1976 LAPD (gone)
1992 DR350
1995 WR250
1975 850T

ASC certs
Toyota certified Platinum tech.
Mech. Eng.
Business
ETC......
Atavar

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 09:46:06 AM »
ReplyReply

There's another one prolly still in the boneyard at TMS in Watertown if you need parts.  My BIL traded one in when he got his Cali.  The two tone blue if it matters.  It was a great bike for many years.. 100MPH was at the bottom of the power band in fourth high.
Lee Bruns
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 10:16:55 AM »
ReplyReply

they're fixing that one up Atavar. Very very slowly.
I think the body work is off getting fresh paint right now.

Antietam Classic Cycle
Guzzi Hero

Keeping the classics alive

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 10:25:45 AM »
ReplyReply

My brother-in-law had a nice one with 82k miles on it. Ran fine, had a small leak from the cam cover was all, cosmetically very good. Until he let it sit outside uncovered that is. He "needed" a new bike (big Suzuki cruiser).  Roll Eyes Last I heard the "kids" that bought the Honda had it whipped back into shape and were riding the heck out of it.

I thought the concept of a dual-range transmission would be best applied to a dual-sport/adventure bike - low range for off-pavement, high range for the road. I'm surprised none of the manufacturers has done anything like that. I guess everyone is too conservative and afraid to do something a little different nowadays...

Charlie
http://www.AntietamClassicCycle.com
'69 Guzzi V750 Ambassador
'77 Yamaha XT500
'91 ATK 604 http://atk604resurrection.wordpress.com/
'94 MZ Silver Star Classic 500
'96 CCM 350 http://ccm350resurrection.wordpress.com/
Jake
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 12:00:46 PM »
ReplyReply

always heard good things about them - nice option on the highgway for low rpm's - engine is probably bullet proof

Granville, Ohio
1975 850-T
1977 R750/7
Sheepdog
Guzzi Hero

'07 California Vintage & '03 Triumph T100

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 12:26:20 PM »
ReplyReply

I had a friend who owned an '82 CB900C back in the late '90s.  It was smooth, comfy, and reliable, but not my favorite dual range motorcycle.  That would be the '70 Suzuki TC-90 Blazer.  It had all the utility of the Honda Trail 90 with a stronger 2-stroke engine and styling that said "Bengt Aberg" rather than "John Deere".  I never owned one, but lusted after them badly as a young fellow riding a Honda '68 CL-70.  Oddly, I ended up buying my son a '70 Trail 90 for transportation in high school.  It was cool in an agricultural sort of way (Caterpillar Yellow was the perfect shade for touch-ups). 

Tom
Guzzi Hero

Location: Back in the middle of the Pacific with a big middle finger up to LaJolla Tom.

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
ReplyReply

Low range for town.  High range for the interstates.  Had a friend in Mesa that rode his all over.  Good bike.  Manual shift Convert.

There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.
Atavar

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2011, 09:46:08 PM »
ReplyReply

Ha!  That might have been me way back when riding around following Gene..  never could get in front of Gene, didn't matter what he was riding.  He was the most unconsciously savant riders I ever knew.  On the Sporty or the G5 there was nobody could out-ride him and no obstacle he couldn't get past.  I guess trials riding does that for a guy.
Sasquatch Jim
Guzzi Hero

Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2011, 10:26:43 PM »
ReplyReply

I have seen a couple that were used for sidecars,  Actually wanted one myself.
The only down side is when they get old remember they are 4 cyl inline.  That means carb rebuild X 4
Electrics X4 etc.

Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.
Stormtruck2
AKA Scotch and Cigars
Guzzi Hero

Geese Fly in a Proper V

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2011, 10:29:05 PM »
ReplyReply

It's already old! Cheesy Cheesy  25,000 mile on her. She runs really well.  Taint much to look at but hell neither am I.  Wink  Really really tempted to get it.. Wonder if he will trade for a 80 CB 650 plus a little boot??  Huh Wink

μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé
harv7
Sunday Rider

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 11:02:12 PM »
ReplyReply

It's already old! Cheesy Cheesy  25,000 mile on her. She runs really well.  Taint much to look at but hell neither am I.  Wink  Really really tempted to get it.. Wonder if he will trade for a 80 CB 650 plus a little boot??  Huh Wink
I bought a 1980 CB650 new.  I think I sold it in 1984 or so.  My recollection is that it was a great bike.  Don't know if I would trade it for a 900 or not...

But my memory may be clouded by nostalgia.
Andy Sirvio
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2011, 01:47:45 AM »
ReplyReply

I had the 1983 CB 1000 Custom .... I only had it for one season back in '89 or there abouts... The dual range transmission was not a big issue or oddity at all. Just keep it in high range for around town and if you go out on the interstate give that second lever a kick and you're in sixth gear... I had no trouble with the bike and did do one cross country trip with it. The '83 had several styling updates over the '82 and earlier 900 customs including standard cast wheels and updated gauges. It was a nice bike.

It will always be better to be shot out of a cannon than sqeezed out of a tube - Hunter S. Thompson

Hunting for another Guzzi

'08 1200 Sport - Sold It
'04 Breva 750 Red - Sold It
'04 Breva 750 Silver - Gone
'03 California Aluminium -Gone
'89 Mille GT - Miss
'80 CX 100 Lemans - Don't Miss
hogdogs
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2011, 09:09:45 AM »
ReplyReply

In 1989/90 I built a dump truck and chose 5X4 trans set up and it was a blast in the shorts to "play" with such as "twin stickin' " and shiftin' in reverse 3 times Grin

Brent
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Chicago Area Moto Guzzi Service, Repair and Restoration
theguzzidoctor.com
Advertise Here