Author Topic: What to do when a large dog attacks you on your bike.  (Read 5258 times)

Offline fotoguzzi

• Guzzi Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
Re: What to do when a large dog attacks you on your bike.
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2011, 06:44:20 AM »
the poor dog is only acting on instinct I bet if you stop he won't attack you, the game will just be over..
2009 Buel xb12XT Ulysses
 2011 Sachs MadAss 125

72 Honda Trail 90's
 MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline David Lee

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:34 AM »
... I bet if you stop he won't attack you...

Waiting for a large barking dog to fall asleep makes for a lousy ride.

Offline Tobit

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2011, 09:17:37 AM »
Large dog, attacking while victim is balancing stopped motorcycle and fumbling for squirt gun large enough to be used with gloved hands and doesn't leak ammonia into jacket pocket or tank bag contents.  Just the thing to end an enjoyable morning ride.  Oh, and the owner say's "sorry" but the threat continues?  No.

That dog is a goner.

TT
Roman

'86 LeMans IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Steven Wright

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2011, 09:28:39 AM »
the poor dog is only acting on instinct I bet if you stop he won't attack you, the game will just be over..

Yup, there's the ticket - stop exhibiting enticing behavior. Better yet just move to another house altogether! ???

I'm certainly with an above poster in that what good is sorry when you're experiencing ligament surgery or worse. Deal with the owner today if not sooner. Hell, the guy could loose his home to you and you could loose the ability to ride all within a limited set of possible results of this owner's conduct.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline kevdog3019

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2011, 09:57:59 AM »
I thought about going the complaint route but that will just create more stress now, and later.

I thought for a while on using stronger defences like a tazer but luckily there are more humane ways to overcome the owners lack of discipline. I would like to see one of those electric dog invisible fence collars on the beast. (Maybe on the owner too!  :-* ) Do you think that might work?

I'll start with the vinegar in a water pistol first and work up to bear spray later!  ;-T

(I have decamped and drove off, and then spotting a bear that was foraging just a few hundred yards from where my tent was pitched!)

Every pet owner should train their pet to come to them on voice command. In a fire or storm your pet is a liability if you spend any time looking for or calling to it. I trained a cat once years ago to come on command. It wasn't hard to do.

You can approach it from the angle of the dogs best interest in mind instead of your own if you're that uncomfortable.  In other words, approach the owner and tell him that you are afraid that you or someone else will end up killing him someday.  I personally would call the cops since this loon has no clue in the dangers to both others as well as his dog.  Sometimes it takes a law enforcement agent to get through to him, then fines, etc. if the problem persists.  THe guy obviously has no clue.   
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'03 Lemans
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Gnigma

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2011, 10:02:47 AM »
Around here--- shoot it.
Jim

"There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a moonless night, and the anger of a gentle man." Patrick Rothfuss

'03 California EV 1100
'82 Kawasaki KZ750M1 CSR (twin)
'81 Kaw 440B

Offline Seagondollar

• Guzzi Hero
  • Wake Forest, NC
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2011, 10:53:31 AM »
OC Pepper spray. Will do the trick, yet not not do permanent damage. Used on bears and two legged animals.

I saw the meter reading guy pepper spray my brother's Doberman, Jake.  Jake was more like the size of a Rottweiler (120 lbs) and every time the power guy blasted him in the eye's, he'd shake his head and go back to barking at Mr. CP&L.  By the time they were back to the service truck (some 60 yards), it was apparent the pepper spray can was running out, so the power guy did, too. 

Not that I'm bragging about Jake, but YMMV. 

Now, another story that is entirely impractical for being on a bike.  My neighbor in Fuquay Varina (just down the road from where Moto America was, in Angier) delivered propane when the weather wasn't good for farming.   He told me about one dog that regularly "attacked" him and he had warned the owner a couple of days before he was due for a delivery.  The owner promised him the dog would be put up and not a problem, but charged him when he made his delivery.  So he used what he had and blasted the large black dog on the side with propane.  The next day, an irate owner called him, screaming that the hair on one side was falling out.  "Don't worry, it'll grow back.  But maybe next time you'll make sure the dog is put up." 
2002 BMW 330i
1988 Toyota MR2
1974 V7 Sport
1989 Le Mans 1000 (V) - morto

Offline Orange Guzzi

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2011, 11:52:15 AM »
Hornet/wasp spray in a can.  Sprays far and burns.  Cheap and legal.

Dogs learn really fast.  Neighbors dog hangs its head and head to the garage when I am around.
1975 850 t3
1979 SP aka ORANGE GUZZI
1975 CONVERT POLICE
1996 SPORT 1100
2003 ALUMINUM

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2011, 01:50:04 PM »
Hornet/wasp spray in a can.  Sprays far and burns.  Cheap and legal.

Dogs learn really fast.  Neighbors dog hangs its head and head to the garage when I am around.
No permanent harm? That's a great idea.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Offline Onefastman

• New Goose
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »
A dog is replaceable, you are not.

show him the 45, I perfer an ed brown 1911.

Offline agmon1000

• Sunday Rider
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
Many years back a German shepherd knock me down when he came out on nowhere while I was riding on my Suzuki DR 650 RS.
The only good thing that came out of this, was the dog got a pain full hit while me and the motorcycle tumble on top of him and every time we spotted each other he will run away.
The dog did cost me new faring and paint job...
Bottom line the owner of the dog should be responsible for his dog the same as I am responsible for my dog.

Offline roofus

• Guzzi Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2011, 03:42:00 PM »
Ha Ha . . .

Just after reading this post I went out for a ride. I was passing a farm slowly on a dirt road and a rottweiler came charging at me. I was thinking great: no bear spray, no vinegar water pistol, no howitzer! I was on pea gravel, so no speedy getaway . . . so I just stopped and stared it down . . . turns out she was really friendly!  ;D

I have a new friend! ;-T
2007 California Vintage, 2010 V7 Cafe, 2012 Norge, 2013 V7 Special, 2014 Norton Commando 961

Online Testarossa

• Guzzi Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2011, 05:23:29 PM »
I have a new friend!

I think I can read doggy body language pretty well, but a lot of folks can't. About 20 years ago I had a great big playful oaf of a dog, half malemute and half lab, and he loved to run with me when I rode my mountain bike around the neighborhood. The problem is that he then began to think "Bicyclist! We're going for a run!", and barked his head off whenever a cyclist went by. Didn't matter that he was wagging his tail off behind a high, strong fence, a lot of cyclists were intimidated.
1974 850T
1970 Triumph TR6R
1974 Yamaha TA125
Gone:
1959 Piper Comanche 250
1969 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS
1971 Honda CB500/4
1974 Laverda 750 SF2
1991 Suzuki VX800

Offline Offcamber1

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2011, 05:48:24 PM »
Penderic,

Chris and I always carry a large can of pepper spray when we walk our dog.  Our little red doxie (RIP Dieter) was fearless and would try and chase off a german shepherd.  Our Shiite-Zoo is the worlds biggest coward, so he has the opposite problem.

We have a stray dog issue in our town of 200, and it is 20 miles away from the county seat, where the incredibly lazy dog catcher spends all of his time.  The problem gets worse each year.  The funny thing is that after getting nailed once or twice the dogs will run up to within about 15 feet of you and then stop dead in their tracks.  Chris had a gang of 5 dogs come running after her and Dieter the Fearless, and she had forgotten the spray.  She just raised her hand up like she had the cannister with her and the dogs stopped just out of range.  She then yelled and them to go home and they turned around and walked back home looking over their shoulder.  The whole time this is going on Dieter the Fearless is barking his head off and when the gang of dogs is well back on their way home he turns around and looks at Chris like, "There, I scared them off for you.  It's ok now."

Anyway, the point is that you only have to use it a few times on a Dog before they get the idea.  If this happens to be an incredibly stupid animal then you might have to use the spray once or twice on the owner to resolve the issue completely.

Kip
Its a fair cop, but society is to blame.

Offline JohninVT`

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2011, 05:55:46 PM »
Two years ago I was riding my Yamaha TW200 around on old logging trails in Putney, VT.  Unknown to me, a guy growing dope had two Rottweiler's prowling his crop.  One chased me down a muddy trail while the other one hit me from the side and took me off the bike.  Thank God I had all my gear on because I needed it chasing them off.  

I went back the next day with my CZ97 loaded with HydraShoks and two gallons of roundup.  Two dead rotties and 50 dead plants later, I felt a little better about the whole thing.  

Do not dick around with pepper spray and squirt guns.  Tell the owner you feel threatened by the dog and that it represents real physical danger to you on the bike.  File a report with your local animal control officer/cop/constable and make sure that it is placed on file.  If it continues, kill the dog.            
"You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star."
-Nietzsche

Offline David Lee

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2011, 06:01:26 PM »
I felt a little better about the whole thing.           

John,
I looked up "naive" and "oversharing" in the dictionary. Your photo was next to each of them.

Offline rossw

• Guzzi Mentor
  • My wife let me have a motorbike again.
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2011, 06:39:54 PM »

I have actually had bored sheepdogs (should never be bought as housepets, but people do) attempt to round me up. They get in front before I move off, and won't let me past them.

It's not so much attacking, as herding with them.

Other types of dogs, the chase instinct is what you are up against. If you aren't something to chase, the fun is over. My usual method is to slow right down and then open the throttle when they get close. By then, you've been forgotten.

If that's not possible, I have tried the water pistol filled with water laced with chilli, aftershave and and black pepper as well. Just need one that is easily deployed in a hurry and doesn't leak.
2003 Moto Guzzi V750ie Breva. It may not be fast, but it's mine!
Previously: 1976 Honda CB200
                       1980 Suzuki GS450S
                       1985 Kawasaki GPz900R
                       1980 Honda CB250RS

Offline Goose

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2011, 07:10:28 PM »
Talk to a lawer about how to serve the owner with legal notice about his dogs actions. Advising hime of his liabilities may awaken him if th LEOs are powerless as usual before something happens. LEOs powers are really limited to intimidation tactics and are useless for prevention.

Offline Offcamber1

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2011, 07:20:44 PM »
Two years ago I was riding my Yamaha TW200 around on old logging trails in Putney, VT.  Unknown to me, a guy growing dope had two Rottweiler's prowling his crop.  One chased me down a muddy trail while the other one hit me from the side and took me off the bike.  Thank God I had all my gear on because I needed it chasing them off.  

I went back the next day with my CZ97 loaded with HydraShoks and two gallons of roundup.  Two dead rotties and 50 dead plants later, I felt a little better about the whole thing.  

Do not dick around with pepper spray and squirt guns.  Tell the owner you feel threatened by the dog and that it represents real physical danger to you on the bike.  File a report with your local animal control officer/cop/constable and make sure that it is placed on file.  If it continues, kill the dog.            

The meth cookers/dealers here in town are nutorious for having several large, mean attack dogs.  Gives them some time when the law arrives (which is rarely.)

I don't advocate killing the animals (see my posts about using chemicals on stupid owners) but what John ran across was a serious affair.  I would perhaps suggest that the law would be better equipped to handle it, but my guess is the results would have been the same: 2 dead dogs, and 50 barren plants.
Its a fair cop, but society is to blame.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2011, 07:41:01 PM »
Dogs are just like people in one way, they are all individuals.. their individual DNA is what makes them tick.. some of them have strong chase instinct and anything moving triggers the chase..you stop, they stop..
in the case where you meet everyday can I suggest making friends not enemy's (with the dog that is) if you STOP and the dog stops, give him a treat.. after a couple days like that he will be waiting for you, seated and you can toss a treat as you ride by..pretty soon you won't need treats, he"ll be glad to just see you ride by..
these are dogs! you people advocating guns are out of your minds.
I hope you have dial up!

2009 Buel xb12XT Ulysses
 2011 Sachs MadAss 125

72 Honda Trail 90's
 MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline YugoSlo

• Sunday Rider
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2011, 05:19:24 AM »
Bacon. The maple kind.

Offline hogdogs

• Guzzi Mentor
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
I had a nice glove box on my HD FLT on the fairing... Held a full size hi cap 9mm nicely... It was odd getting used to left hand use even though I am left handed...
On other bikes I wore a cross draw shoulder rig.

In short order, I was proficient enough to get the bike chaser on the first or second shot...

Brent

nilknarf

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2011, 12:49:24 PM »
 **C Had a dog once that got his collar looped around my foot peg while chasing me. Every time I'd try to reach down and free him he would try to bite me. Finally after about a block of low speed draggin his collar broke and he got loose. He never chased me after that. Maybe you should carry a lasso instead of a gun. Also had a friend who carried a bullwhip on his horse for when unfriendly doggies would come out scare the horses.

**C Dave  ;-T

Offline Aaron D.

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2011, 07:13:35 PM »
Interesting contrasts of opinion, so I'll add mine.

I like dogs, and seldom have any trouble. Usually, while biking, I outrun them. I haven't had an incident with a dog while on a motorcycle in 30 years.

But a dog that is attacking, or even one that may cause you to crash, is a bullet from a gun that has already been fired. It may not be the dog's fault, but YOU are going to take the consequences. And a dog that does attack a person, unprovoked, has violated the compact between dogs and humans.

I'm with John.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »
well make sure you don't unload on the dog or you won't be able to defend against the dog owner who might have a bigger gun than you..
2009 Buel xb12XT Ulysses
 2011 Sachs MadAss 125

72 Honda Trail 90's
 MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline JohninVT`

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
well make sure you don't unload on the dog or you won't be able to defend against the dog owner who might have a bigger gun than you..

I love dogs.  My retarded pitbull Daisy is keeping my feet warm as I type this.  She sleeps in bed with us every night and is spoiled rotten.  However, if she ever attacked someone, I would shoot her in the head.  I would not say it was someone else's fault.  It would be my fault that she bit someone.  I would not whine and fight in court to keep the dog alive.  I'd shoot her and then try to figure out how I could keep it from ever happening again.  If that meant never having another dog, so be it.

Disney-fying animals is criminal.  Animals aren't people.  They aren't as important as people.  I don't love Daisy as much as I love my daughter and I think anyone who does love an animal as much as a human being should have their head examined.  If that makes me a bad person in anyone's eyes....I can live with it.      
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 07:58:05 PM by JohninVT` »
-Nietzsche

Offline toddhaven

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2011, 08:10:42 PM »

I love dogs.  My retarded pitbull Daisy is keeping my feet warm as I type this.  She sleeps in bed with us every night and is spoiled rotten.  However, if she ever attacked someone, I would shoot her in the head.  I would not say it was someone else's fault.  It would be my fault that she bit someone.  I would not whine and fight in court to keep the dog alive.  I'd shoot her and then try to figure out how I could keep it from ever happening again.  If that meant never having another dog, so be it.

Disney-fying animals is criminal.  Animals aren't people.  They aren't as important as people.  I don't love Daisy as much as I love my daughter and I think anyone who does love an animal as much as a human being is an idiot.  If that makes me a bad person in anyone's eyes....I can live with it.     

Nero the Muley Lab is also at my feet.
I too would put him down if he attacked someone, after I recovered from my heart attack at such an event occurring. Customers bring 2 and 3 year olds to see him. 1 kid remarked that that the only good part of Mommys' car breaking is that he gets to see Nero.  70 year old ladies play fetch with him in the front office.
Spoiled rotten?  Yep.
Best dog ever? Yep.
Todd Haven
Wherever I go, I will always have one foot in Texas.
www.mphcycles.com
The things that make me different are the things that make me. -- Winnie T. Pooh

Offline JohninVT`

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
Her official name is Daisy Wonderdog.  At first it was just Daisy but we added Wonderdog when she sprang onto the kitchen counter without even crouching and wolfed down an entire stick of butter before any of us could stop her.    

-Nietzsche

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Guzzi Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2011, 08:56:07 PM »
 Even the playful friendly dog can kill you by knocking you off the bike. 
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Kent in Tehachapi

• Guzzi Hero
« Reply #59 on: September 21, 2011, 09:32:22 PM »

I'd be more impressed if you shot the guy who grew the dope. All you did was kill two dogs for doing something for which they had been trained. Now the guy who grows the dope will rely on cables stretched neck high across the trails.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Take a gander around New Zealand on a Moto Guzzi from Guzzi Gander Ltd rentals.
Recent favorable exchange rate variations make this trip more affordable than ever.
http://www.guzzigander.com
Advertise Here