Please login or register to get all features
Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
April 24, 2014, 08:40:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Free Classifieds, Auctions and Wanteds available now. Click HERE

Home   Help Advertise Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pella Storm Door  (Read 4671 times)
Stephen
Trade Count: (0)
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« on: November 12, 2011, 11:43:22 AM »
ReplyReply

OK, Here's the problem,
My mom's Pella storm door will not open. The dead bolt is unlocked, but when I turn the lever handle the mechanism will not pull the two sliders out.
Can I jimmy the lock mechanism internally?

Stephen
Dallas Texas
CMA
2003 Aluminum
1971 Ambassador
cpallen
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 01:41:21 PM »
ReplyReply

try pushing or pulling on the door slightly while turning the knob/lever to see if it's binding. if that doesn't do it slide a putty knife in between door and frame at the latch from the inside as the latch should be spring loaded. I don't know if it will have a safety bolt like a regular exterior door latch though so be gentle.

Regards,

Bob Villa

Courtney in Seattle
2004 MG California EV Touring
2004 MG V11 Sport Ballabio
Monza-jockey
Guzzi Mentor

Rainer Lang

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:43:09 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi Stephen, while I'm not familiar with Pella, it sounds like an interesting problem.

So, are you saying the mechanism does not move internally? Is there part of the mechanism this is disconnected?  

1.) My first guess would be marinate liberally with WD-40 and work the mechanicals as much as is practical to see if it will move.

2.) Try leaning on the door from both sides while you try to open it, in case there was expansion in the door or door frame.

3.) Disassembling the cover/trim hardware may get you to where you can jimmy the bolts back out of the strike plate.

4.) Call or email the Customer Service department of manufacturer of the lock and see if there's a remedy.

Good luck!

I don't always ride motorcycles, when I do,  I prefer  Moto Guzzi.

Keep riding, my friends...

1982 V50 Monza
geoff in almonte
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:16:59 PM »
ReplyReply

+1 on the recommendation to call Pella.  We have a Pella folding door in our house.  I have no idea how old it is.....at least 20 years.  When some of the springs that hold the slats together let go, I called the local Pella shop.  They sent a guy out the next day.  He fixed the door and left.  No charge.

It's worth a try!

G

Midnight bugs taste best
Hahnda
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2011, 12:21:53 AM »
ReplyReply

In a former life I designed storm door latches for a company that sold latches to Pella and other storm door manufactures. This was a while ago and I have no idea how old your door is. Pella took over there own sourcing in China which in a round about way probably led to the end of my job. Anyway you may have a latch that is plastic. I think they went to plastic in an effort to cut cost. The shaft of the latch can eventually break in some cases. The door is closed and there is no way to retract the latch. You may be able to take off the handles by removing a small set screw. then remove the face plates. From there you may be able to retract the latch with a screwdriver or some other small pointed object.

2000 Quota w/ Sidecar
1996 Sport 1100
1976 Convert
1971 Ambassador
1970 Ambassador
1963 Stornello Sport

www.scramblercycle. com
Pellauser
New Goose

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 09:42:55 AM »
ReplyReply

Apparently, there is a failure rate with the Pella latch assembly because I had the same problem with my Pella storm door. I called Pella at 1-800-374-4758, and they sent me a replacement latch assembly for $18. I wish I had called them sooner because it was easy to install. I was not sure how the defective assembly could be removed since it fits inside the door, but it was easy to pry it loose by following the instructions that were included with the replacement part. I have a white door with brass handles and plating, and the part number they sent me was 08710433.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Advertise your products today. All proceeds go back into this website.
Your ad will show up over 10,000 times daily!
Advertise Here