Please login or register to get all features
Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
October 25, 2014, 06:46:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Free Classifieds, Auctions and Wanteds available now. Click HERE

Home   Help Advertise Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bose Wave, or...  (Read 3680 times)
Crusty
Trade Count: (0)
Guzzi Hero

You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

Ignore
« on: January 01, 2012, 09:40:12 AM »
ReplyReply

I'd like to get a decent music system; something similar to a Bose Wave radio/CD player. Is the Bose Wave (with multiple CD changer) the best choice, or is there something as good for a cheaper price; or maybe a lot better for only a little more? I'm a typical cheap Guzzi owner, in that I tend to be , um, frugal; but I want a decent system. If I'm going to spend some money for a stereo, I'd rather spend a little more if it gets me a much better system.
I've bought all the cheaper textile riding gear (Tour Master, Fieldsheer, etc.) and I realize that if I'd bought an Aerostich Darien, I would have saved money in the long run. I'd rather spend a little more now, and have something that will last, and that I'll enjoy for a long time. With the knowledge base of this board, I figure someone here can help me out. Any suggestions or opinions?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Want to ride some great roads amongst stunning scenery?
Take a gander around New Zealand on a Guzzi from Guzzi Gander Ltd.
http://www.guzzigander.com
Advertise Here
charlie b
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 09:57:25 AM »
ReplyReply

If you want a compact system and you like really good sound, the Bose is the only way to go, IMHO.

But, if you're like me and only use music for background, then most will do.  I'd go to someplace where I can try them out and pick the one I like the most.  I am usually swayed more by the features than by the sound  Smiley

1984 850 T5
2010 Honda VT700VA (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500
2011 Honda Element
PeteS
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2012, 10:24:11 AM »
ReplyReply

The Bose is pretty impressive but I would also consider the Kloss Tivoli One, Two, and Three. The one is the radio, two has the added speaker for stereo, and three is the CD player. Nearly equal in sound to the the Bose but with a better tuner.
http://www.amazon.com/Tivoli-Audio-Model-Silver-Finish/dp/B000ABTP8W/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1325431497&sr=1-1

Pete
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:27:00 AM by PeteS » Logged
Mark West
Guzzi Hero

Get Lost.... it's good for you!

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 11:24:50 AM »
ReplyReply

I recently went through this process cause my wife wanted a radio/cd player for her lab at work. I'm not a bose fan so started looking around. Many of the companies that made these are dropping the cd player and going with a dock and/or wifi so that you can listen to internet radio stations or Pandora. Since most people can put their entire CD collection on an ipod or smart phone they don't play CD's anymore.

If one without CD is ok, Boston Acoustics makes a good one as well as Tivoli and others. Browse through the table radio selection at Amazon.com to get an idea of how many there are. If price is no object, check out the stuff from Bowers and Wilkins.

Size is another issue. If you have a bit more space, you can go with a small shelf system that has remote speakers. Yamaha makes a good one and others as well.

My wife really wanted a CD player and after all my searching I narrowed it down to the Cambridge soundworks i765 and Sangean DDR-63. I went with the latter because it also had the wifi built in and I read a lot of reviews on the cambridge about poor quality, cd's getting jammed or wouldn't play, etc.

Unfortunately I cant give you much of a review because we travelled right after Christmas and it hasn't been out of the box yet.

Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752
Link
New Goose

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »
ReplyReply

The Bose is great I'm an audio geek & the Bose isn't the best in sound wise but it's hard to beat for money & if your going to use it for back ground music it works real well. Mine is going on 7 years and still sounding fine. Has an input for ipod & it plays mp3 discs & radio reception is OK. Well worth the money I actually bought a reconditioned one at a Bose outlet store & saved some coin (rumor has it all Guzzi owners tight wads ) 
Gekkofinger
New Goose

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 12:39:55 PM »
ReplyReply

Bose stink soundwise......smal l plastic speakers?...come on.....they have to have some size to be able to sound just a little better then a fart in a can....

Moto guzzi v50 Monza
Aprilia RS250
Dax 50cc
ogsurf
Weekend Warrior

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 12:40:19 PM »
ReplyReply

The B&O at the store price are overpriced but are very well built and sound great.
They also have stands and wall brackets that open up a lot of options.
Check ebay and craigs list.

TP

"What the hell is a Moto Gootsie?"
Gekkofinger
New Goose

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 12:52:03 PM »
ReplyReply

B&O have a nice design, and are made in my home country, Denmark. I´ll would go for a decent 2 channel amp or receiver and a mid-price cd player. Best sound over WAF.........

Moto guzzi v50 Monza
Aprilia RS250
Dax 50cc
Old Jock
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2012, 01:11:10 PM »
ReplyReply

B&W?

I like their Zeppelin though have yet to hear it. I do have a pair of their speakers and they are pretty awesome.

Less "lifestyle" Hi Fi IMHO

Just me

John
spridget
Guzzi Hero

2007 California Vintage 1962TR4 1967TR4A 1976TR6

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 01:15:55 PM »
ReplyReply

UH Bose @ 400 to 500$.......not a good choice, unless ALL you are considering is room it takes on your shelf. For the same amount of $$ you could get one of these

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist.jsp&sku=554380&q=1&Q=add&is=REG&A=cart

a pair of these

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-ES20BK-5-25-Inch-Bookshelf-Speaker/dp/B00167340E

and have a much better audio experience than a Bose. Bose IMHO is overpriced and underperforming, especially where it counts, your ear. There are lots of good bookshelf type units for a lot less $ that will sound as good and better than Bose. For a little more $ say 600 to 700 you can get a primo system that will outperform and have more useful options than the Bose. Onkyo, Harman Kardon, Pioneer are all units I'd consider before Bose. A 50 watt AVR or receiver, and a good pair or 2 of speakers and you'll be much happier than if you buy the Bose.

Plum Boro / Pittsburgh Pa. A few miles from the PA Pike, Monroeville exit.
jomcgui
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 01:58:42 PM »
ReplyReply

Check out Zvox speakers.  You can get small ones to big ones.  Sometimes on ebay there are great deals.  Something like their 300 series would fit on a shelf or under a computer screen.  Good sound, easy to set up and way less than a bose.  I have 2.  One for the computer and one for the tv.

John
2010 Griso 8v
2010 Vespa GTS 300
2007 M109r
2004 Z1000
2000 ZX7R
1995 ZX6e
cruzziguzzi
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 02:01:32 PM »
ReplyReply

I have a Tivoli in my office at home and we have two Bose Wave all-in-one affairs that we move around the house, garage and Wifee's shed. I've noticed that while I'm always happy with the Bose, careful placement makes me happier still.

Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.
Wayne Orwig
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
ReplyReply

I'd like to get a decent music system; something similar to a Bose Wave radio/CD player.

He said "decent music" and "Bose" in the same sentence. 

Bose likes to butcher the audio to make people think it is better then it is. A lot of people like that. I don't.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop any time I want.
Zoom Zoom
Guzzi Hero

Northeast Ohio

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
ReplyReply

I have to agree with many. If you want something compact that is ok for background music, then ok. Otherwise, spend the money on something better that you can build on. A good reciever and speakers will run circles around most compact stuff like that. They want you to believe the sound quality rivals that of more elaborate equipment. Well, it doesn't. Just as all these compressed music formats don't sound as good as a clean piece of vinyl on a good turntable. Only with SACD, DVD-A and DAD (digital audio disc), do we begin to rival vinyl for sonic range, warmth, and sound quality.

I never understood why young people (mostly) spend so much on car audio. That enviornment is where compressed music is ok and handy. It is also the worst possible in terms of acoustics because it constantly varies. When I want to listen to music, I expect better. I also realize some people never sit down and really listen to music. Just my 2 cents.

Zoom Zoom,
John henry

A wide, unfettered road ahead,
and the flying motor singing.
Samuel C. Lancaster 1921
jeff
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 04:58:56 PM »
ReplyReply

Hey, I just went through this decision process and found the Bose to be less than adequate for my tastes. Also found it under performed for the money. go with the Harmon Kardon and JBL shelf speakers that were suggested. They will do a better job for the same mula. I don't listen to music but use it in my shop and am quite pleased that I didn't spend money on the Bose. Incidentally I rehabbed my tube set and have them hooked up to Bose speakers (because I had them and did not want to buy new). 
jackson
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 05:07:59 PM »
ReplyReply

As a life long musician who plays five instruments proficiently (used to play over seven) and someone who once owned and operated a commercial recording studio for several years, I can tell you that you can put 50 people in a room and ask them to evaluate sound quality...........a nd you will get a wide array of answers.  The truth is that you should listen to a specific sound system that you are considering with your ears and make your own evaluation.  As you age, you will hear differently than you did when you were younger.  Men tend to lose the ability to hear higher frequencies and women tend to lose the ability to hear bass as they age.  Every person has a different perception.  If you are a long term motorcycle rider and didn't wear ear plugs for most of your riding life, chances are that you have lost some percentage of what your hearing ability used to be.  The bottom line is listen to some music that you will likely listen to on whatever you decide to purchase and base your decision on what your particular set of ears tell you sounds pleasant to you.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 06:25:00 PM by jackson » Logged
jeff
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
ReplyReply

Good advice, jackson. Listen to the radio in the way you would normally. For instance, in my shop I am not "centered" in the music, but move about quite a bit. That is how I found out the Wave Radio pretty much required a centered position to have any real quality of sound. Standing off to one side or another or moving out of "optimum" range from the unit, the sound really lacked presence and quality, but sounded like an average boom box (it is a boom box). Very limited to the "ideal" set up as far as I could tell. Not practical for my shop application.
LowRyter
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »
ReplyReply

I was never a huge fan of Bose sound.  But I've had the same indoor-outdoor speakers on my patio since we built the house in 1992 and they've worked & sounded great.

John L
Edmond OK
2001 V11 Sport (Green)
1998 V11 EV (Red & Pearl Cream)
1998 Moto Suzuki 1200 Bandit (Candy Red)
MGNOC #21147
jc

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2012, 07:18:39 PM »
ReplyReply

I bought my system from a guy with a van, behind the 7-11. Got a great deal on the 5-year warranty too!
the Bailey
Guzzi Hero

00 Jackal

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2012, 07:38:36 PM »
ReplyReply

He said "decent music" and "Bose" in the same sentence. 

Bose likes to butcher the audio to make people think it is better then it is. A lot of people like that. I don't.

+10000
David Lee
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2012, 09:52:51 PM »
ReplyReply

Lots of good advice has been offered.
Would like to add that Bose is very good at ADVERTISING.

If you have a decent high end audio shop in the area, Boston is 55 miles away, check them out. They generally offer systems in several price ranges, and you can do so much better than Bose.

-------------

"He said "decent music" and "Bose" in the same sentence."

I loved that! 
Sack
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2012, 11:27:36 PM »
ReplyReply

I used to pride myself at realizing and recognizing good audio. That was many years ago and my hearing isn't what it once was. Listening to the many esoteric brands it was easy to tell "Hi-Fi" compared to typical consumer audio. Bose was well respected among typical consumers, less so by audiophiles. Can they and do they sound good. I'd say yes, but in the absence of something better. Likewise, you tend to get what you pay for. That all said, whatever you decide, let your ears and perhaps the spouse or friend listen also. Pick what sounds right at the price you want to spend. Remember to match volume levels when making A-B listening auditions, the louder usually is deemed the "better" sound. Good luck

'08 Norge and (mint) 1984 Honda VF700F Interceptor
jomcgui
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2012, 03:52:51 AM »
ReplyReply

When I was researching soundbars a couple of years ago I read somewhere about listening to a movie which had rain falling.  If you could hear individual raindrops splashing rather than a hiss then it was a decent set.  If you could bring along a favorite audio file or dvd and listen to one particular part on different systems that would be a way to compare.

John
2010 Griso 8v
2010 Vespa GTS 300
2007 M109r
2004 Z1000
2000 ZX7R
1995 ZX6e
boatdetective
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2012, 08:21:01 AM »
ReplyReply

I'm far from an audio snob and probably lost a good part of my discriminatory hearing at several big concerts. However, you can put me in the camp that believes the whole Bose thing is hype. For what you get- they charge too much. I was at tweeter before they closed and bought a small Yamaha system. it wasn't an all in one compact- but that was the point. the sylish, trendy micro systems like the Bose on average cost more than entry level component systems with bookshelf speakers. No question, I'm getting better sound out of my lowly system than the micros. So, my advice would be to consider something a tad bigger and you'll get much better sound and value.

BTW, I had a client who is the mad german scientist who started ADS. Interesting guy and was not shy about mentioning hte Bose marketing plan. I still have a pair of ADS 300s- cool little speakers. 

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes
charlie b
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2012, 09:08:05 AM »
ReplyReply

So, if I have a space that is 10"x10", it has to be moved frequently, and I want something to put my iPod on, what is suggested?

Yes, all those component systems are nice (I have a nice one in the family room), but, I have a small available space and I don't want to have to hook up and unhook speakers all the time (even if I had space for them).

I've tried a lot of the smaller systems and the Bose still sounds better than them.

1984 850 T5
2010 Honda VT700VA (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500
2011 Honda Element
cruzziguzzi
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
ReplyReply

Constant relocation is one of the reasons we have two Bose'. We plant it, plug it in and don't need immediate access due to the remote - speaking of remotes, I thought they'd have us by the short ones on the mandatory remote but each one we've bought is 10 bucks or so.

Not having the ability to adjust silly little knobs has been a bit of a freeing experience with our Boses'esies.

I figure much of the world is broken down into three groups - doesn't matter what your talking about: cars, motorcycles, politics whatever - there are the kool aide drinkers, the folk who wouldn't stand downwind of the smell of the kool aide whether it was in their interest or not and the folk who evaluate their thirst relative to the fluids available.

Todd
72 "Crud"dorado
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.
alanp
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2012, 10:59:10 AM »
ReplyReply

Check out Peachtree Audio.  Much higher quality than Bose. 

Niwot, Colorado

'07 Griso (black, 11k miles)
'12 Suzuki 650 V-strom ADV (black, 18k miles)

Previous Guzzis
'07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans
Wayne Orwig
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2012, 11:09:05 AM »
ReplyReply

So, if I have a space that is 10"x10", it has to be moved frequently, and I want something to put my iPod on, what is suggested?

Yes, all those component systems are nice (I have a nice one in the family room), but, I have a small available space and I don't want to have to hook up and unhook speakers all the time (even if I had space for them).

I've tried a lot of the smaller systems and the Bose still sounds better than them.

If YOU like the Bose, end of story. 

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop any time I want.
boatdetective
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2012, 11:21:19 AM »
ReplyReply

If you want really compact, then I might suggest the Tivoli PAL. It is a tiny box that is weatherproof.  The surface is rubberized so it can take misuse like grubby paws in the shop. There's a jack in the back for an ipod and the unit itself is a radio witha  single speaker. I just carry it into the shop, boat, wherever.   It's basically the ancestor of the henry kloss radios and they are pretty damned handy. Nice folks to deal with, also. I left mine out in the rain for a week on my boat. Total, gross negligence on my part. they have a flat $50 repair charge, and sent me a brand new unit.

Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes
cruzziguzzi
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
ReplyReply

If you want really compact, then I might suggest the Tivoli PAL. It is a tiny box that is weatherproof.  The surface is rubberized so it can take misuse like grubby paws in the shop. There's a jack in the back for an ipod and the unit itself is a radio witha  single speaker. I just carry it into the shop, boat, wherever.   It's basically the ancestor of the henry kloss radios and they are pretty damned handy. Nice folks to deal with, also. I left mine out in the rain for a week on my boat. Total, gross negligence on my part. they have a flat $50 repair charge, and sent me a brand new unit.

I have a Tivoli "Kloss model 1" whatever that is. Mine is not hardened and yet has survived many, many tumbles, falls and spills. No CD but as a simple radio of quality, it's great. Even simpler than my Bose', it's not encumbered with clocks, alarms, calenders or knobs other than; I wanna listen to this, I want it this loud and it's on one of these two bands. On the back however, the alternate power, alternate antenna and input are very handy and sub-flush mounted. I can only imagine that Boatdick's is better still with the deliberate armor.

Todd
72 "Crud"dorado
wittangamo
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2012, 12:26:19 PM »
ReplyReply

I own a Wave and a few other mid-fi compact systems from Teac, Altec Lansing, Creative, etc, along with home and car component systems matching Harmon-Kardon, Yamaha and Kenwood receivers to speakers from JBL, Definitive Technology, Boston Acoustics, and so on. I am neither rich nor an an audiophile, but I shop around and read reviews and forums before whipping out my credit card to get optimal bang-for-buck.

These are two statements I believe to be true:

1.) The Wave, like other Bose systems, looks and sounds good and is reliable. Most people who own them like them.

2.) You can get better audio for the money with a number of other manufacturers or mix-and-match systems.

It's no accident than in big-box stores that sell Bose, their displays are usually placed in high traffic areas away from the competition. Bose pays more for marketing, and doesn't fare all that well in head-to-head comparisons with the competition.

The common refrain in audiophile circles is "No highs, no lows ... must be Bose." But then, those are the same snobs that pay ridiculous prices for speaker cables that make no audible difference in sound quality.

As someone else suggested, take a CD or mp3 you know and like and play it on several systems. Buy what sounds best to you.

Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate
jomcgui
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2012, 02:10:07 PM »
ReplyReply

get an ipod adapter and oder this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zvox-Mini-Single-Cabinet-Speaker-Bar-Ipod-Iphone-Speaker-System-/250964081604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6e9ffbc4 $100

John
2010 Griso 8v
2010 Vespa GTS 300
2007 M109r
2004 Z1000
2000 ZX7R
1995 ZX6e
screamday
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2012, 02:42:15 PM »
ReplyReply

We've had a Bose wave radio in the bedroom for about 10 years. Works great and produces good sound in a small package.

Tony in SC
"Comfort the disturbed and Disturb the comfortable"
1988 R100RS
1998 V11 EV
Sack
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2012, 04:20:19 PM »
ReplyReply

Constant relocation is one of the reasons we have two Bose'. We plant it, plug it in and don't need immediate access due to the remote - speaking of remotes, I thought they'd have us by the short ones on the mandatory remote but each one we've bought is 10 bucks or so.

Not having the ability to adjust silly little knobs has been a bit of a freeing experience with our Boses'esies.

I figure much of the world is broken down into three groups - doesn't matter what your talking about: cars, motorcycles, politics whatever - there are the kool aide drinkers, the folk who wouldn't stand downwind of the smell of the kool aide whether it was in their interest or not and the folk who evaluate their thirst relative to the fluids available.

Well put!

Sack
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2012, 04:40:48 PM »
ReplyReply

I was thinking of your desire for a docking speaker system for your iPod. A few years ago I was looking for something for my office. I wanted good sound at a reasonable price. If I'm satisfied with the sound then I compare price. I ran into the inMotion line of docking systems for the iPod. As a group they had better fidelity than others like them. They're smaller than the Bose units, may not be as robust sounding but a good deal cheaper and very portable. The icing on the cake was Radio Shack was blowing them out for <$60 with average retail being about twice that.

I went with the InMotion 600:

Here's a link to their webpage: http://www.alteclansing.com/ae/us/ipod-iphone-speakers/icat/ipodiphonespeakers/

My office is about 10 x 10 and I am amazed at the sound from such a small system. It has the dock, Aux. input for other players, FM radio (what's that?) and remote control. I don't think the 600 is in production any longer but their line of inMotion products is. Did I mention that the inMotion 600 also has an internal 7 hour rechargeable battery? Guess who gets asked to bring their "radio" along to company parties and gatherings?

« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 04:44:12 PM by Sack » Logged

wittangamo
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2012, 04:56:22 PM »
ReplyReply

I was thinking of your desire for a docking speaker system for your iPod. A few years ago I was looking for something for my office. I wanted good sound at a reasonable price. If I'm satisfied with the sound then I compare price. I ran into the inMotion line of docking systems for the iPod. As a group they had better fidelity than others like them. They're smaller than the Bose units, may not be as robust sounding but a good deal cheaper and very portable. The icing on the cake was Radio Shack was blowing them out for <$60 with average retail being about twice that.

I went with the InMotion 600:

Here's a link to their webpage: http://www.alteclansing.com/ae/us/ipod-iphone-speakers/icat/ipodiphonespeakers/

My office is about 10 x 10 and I am amazed at the sound from such a small system. It has the dock, Aux. input for other players, FM radio (what's that?) and remote control. I don't think the 600 is in production any longer but their line of inMotion products is. Did I mention that the inMotion 600 also has an internal 7 hour rechargeable battery? Guess who gets asked to bring their "radio" along to company parties and gatherings?

I bought an Altec Lansing inMotion 520 a year ago and we liked it so well my wife got a smaller 320 for her office. They are inexpensive, offer full sound for FM/iPod use, and they're portable with built-in rechargeable batteries or plug in adapter. AL has been making PC speaker systems for years, and you can't beat them for the price. Since we got them, the Wave has been reduced to clock-radio wakeup duty.

Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate
alanp
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2012, 07:33:25 PM »
ReplyReply

I am just going to reiterate that you check out Peachtree Audio.  This is probably the best compact / ipod docking equipment available and is at on an entire other level from Bose and other mass market stuff without costing a fortune. 

http://signalpathint.com/

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/peachtree3/nova.html

Niwot, Colorado

'07 Griso (black, 11k miles)
'12 Suzuki 650 V-strom ADV (black, 18k miles)

Previous Guzzis
'07 Norge, '03 California SS, '02 California SS, '83 Lemans III, '77 Lemans
PeteS
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2012, 08:55:25 PM »
ReplyReply

I am just going to reiterate that you check out Peachtree Audio.  This is probably the best compact / ipod docking equipment available and is at on an entire other level from Bose and other mass market stuff without costing a fortune. 

What is your definition of a fortune and where is the radio? The guy says he wants to buy a V7 and you tell him to get an MV.

Pete
Sack
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2012, 11:47:26 PM »
ReplyReply

Those intrigue me as a Hi-Fi fancier but jumpin' jehosephat, that's worlds away in cost than I assumed we were looking at here. Like I always say, it's an individual's choice, just belly up to the bar and pays yer money! Remember, the largest single contributor to sound quality, good or bad, are the speakers. Mere mortals have a much harder time discerning the differences in the electronics.

Crusty
Guzzi Hero

You can't put a price on Worthlessness.

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2012, 02:59:49 AM »
ReplyReply

Please, guys; while $4,000.00 components work great, I was wondering if a Bose system is worth the money it costs; or if there's a cheaper alternative that works as well. Is the Bose Wave really the best for the price?
Some people swear by Aerostich gear, and some swear at it. Over the years, I've bought textile jackets by a number of Manufacturers. All were supposed to be as good as an Aerostich. None lived up to my expectations. If I had bought a Darien at the beginning, I would have saved a lot of money, in the long run. I know riders who've had their Aerostich suits for over a decade, and still love them. Is the Bose the equivalent in the audio world?
My wife and I have recently gone our separate ways again, and she took the stereo (as well as the TV; but that's a whole different question). I want to get something that plays CDs, and has reasonably good sound.
Those AL In Motion docking stations look good, especially for the price. Is there any way to connect a CD player to them? I don't have an ipod or MP3; and if I did, I wouldn't know what to do with one. I am, um, technolologically challenged. I want to listen to my music on an inexpensive system that's going to produce good sound, and be reliable for a long time. Should I get a Bose Wave, or is there better for less?

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Scrambler Cycle - Parts & Service
Parts for many Guzzi models and Loopframe Alternator Conversion Kits
www.scramblercycle.com
Advertise Here