Please login or register to get all features
Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
December 21, 2014, 07:35:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Free Classifieds, Auctions and Wanteds available now. Click HERE

Home   Help Advertise Login Register Chat  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tell me your Crash Story  (Read 2228 times)
Blitztour
Trade Count: (0)
New Goose

My last Red Motorcycle

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2012, 12:46:00 PM »
ReplyReply

In light of “Ratguzzi’s” mishap, I started thinking about how many of us have been down hard and still ride.

I mean it’s never occurred to me that a crash would end my love for motorcycles, but I know plenty of people who stopped ridding after they crashed.

But more importantly, I’m truly interested in how a bad crash changed the way you ride and really wanna hear your crash story.  And if you've got pictures, I'd love to see those as well.

OK, here's mine:

My worst crash occurred May1986.  My (then) fiancée’ Cathy was working the Seattle International Film Festival at the Egyptian Theater on Capitol Hill. They’d just ordered Chinese food for the staff and crew and I volunteer to go get it on my motorcycle. It’s only a few blocks away and I can maneuver through traffic and find parking a lot easier on the bike.

So, I say, who wants to ride on back and hold the bags? Cathy’s best friend Darcy say’s, “I wanna go for a ride. Take me” So, we hop on my beloved 81 Gpz 1100 and away we go. (and yes, I was a lot younger and dumber, then)

Sitting at the stop sign at the corner of Pike and Boylston in downtown Seattle is a junkie named Clee Oliver McVeigh (absolutely true) He's just robbed a truck from his girlfriend’s mother and is on his way to Harborview Hospital in Seattle.  

Seems this asshole is in the midst of a sever withdrawal episode because he’s sold his allotment of methadone to buy some reds, weed and wine.

Unfortunately, his self medication has not been as effective as the methadone and he’s jones’n big time.

As I approach the intersection, he looks right at me, look right at an oncoming car  about to enter the intersection…and hit's the gas!

To this moment I have no clue why he did it, but if someone had said “here’s $10 grand, kill these people on the motorcycle with this truck”, that’s exactly how it would have gone down. (BTW, at the time of this accident, there was no helmet law in WA State and neither of us had helmets on)

I had about 2 seconds to react. If I’d been alone, I’d have laid it down like a dirt bike going into a tree, but I was 2 up. Amazing how quick you think in an emergency. When necessary, the human brain can out process any computer(I know I did!)

I knew we were going to hit so I locked out my arms, hit the brakes and arched my back into Darcy to absorb some of the impact.  

It’s a 30 mph street and I braked as hard as I could and figure we were doing about 15+ mph on impact

The rest is a blur.

We T boned the truck almost dead center and were both catapulted over the other side, landed on our backs and bounced a few times. How we didn’t sustain head injuries is a mystery to me but they say God protects children and idiots.

The witnesses all said that I got up and ran over to Darcy before I passed out, but I don’t remember any of it. We were 2 blocks away from a fire station and response was almost instantaneous! My first recollection is the paramedic standing over me saying, “We can’t find a pulse”

As I came too, my girlfriend and everyone (staff and crew) at the Theater had run down the block and the bar on the corner where we’d crashed had emptied.
A lot of people were standing around us and my girlfriend was just weeping cause she thought we were both dead.

Darcy was hurt really bad. She left a tooth in the back of my head, fractured her cheek and collarbones, chipped elbow bone and all sorts of cuts, contusions and bruises.

I had two puncture wounds in both forearms from the tie down cleat I hit, plus C4&C7 in my neck hyper extended and damn near paralyzed me (they’re fried for the rest of my life) But the most amazing part was what I did with my legs.
Just before we hit and I was bracing for the impact, I squeezed the tank so hard between my knees, I crushed it!

If you look at the picture you’ll see the crease where I literally pinched the tank together. That took about 1500 lb per sq inch to crush a steel tank. Adrenaline is an amazing thing!

I tore the muscle off the inner part of my left thigh and that took over a year to heal up.

I’ve always been into working out and staying in good shape so I healed up to the point where it’s almost a non-issue.

As a matter of fact both Darcy and I made a near complete recovery. She has some beautiful new teeth and it’s still hard to look over my left shoulder. But all in all, we we’re about as lucky as two people without helmets can be.

She hadn’t been on a motorcycle since that day. So, last May on our 25th anniversary of the accident, we took a ride and went out for lunch.  It was great! (For both of us!)

As for Clee?
I was told that several bystanders pulled him from the truck and started punching him after they realized he was drunk and on drugs.  The police took statements, he was arrested and last I heard he'd ended up serving 40 days of a 6 month sentence.

For the first 5 years I was really angry.  I could still feel the effects of the accident and wanted to find him and kick the shit out of him.  

Then one day, I actually got him on the phone. I won't bore you with the details, but 30 seconds into the conversation, I realized he was such a pathetic shell, it wasn’t worth talking to him. He just didn’t get how badly he’d altered two lives.

And at that point I concluded I’d invested enough energy into trying to make sense of what he’d done and I just let it go. Felt great!
I imagine he’ll become what he deserves to be. (Wow, that was therapeutic:  )

How has it made me a better rider?
Since that day, I don’t take for granted that the other guy sees me or knows the limitations of my ability to stop. I treat every intersection and side street like a potential death trap (controlled or uncontrolled) Ever if I make eye contact with the driver, I’m always ready to take defensive action. It's even carried over to the way I drive my car!

On the interstates and back roads of WA, I still ride it like I stole it.   But in town, I drive like a nun.

Only other long term effect from that day is, I haven’t been able to own another red motorcycle. Go Figure...

« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:56:39 PM by Blitztour » Logged

Alfonso

2012 Griso 8V
2008 1200 Sport
2002 Buell M2 L
2005 ZZR 1200
fotoguzzi
Guzzi Hero

vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 12:54:33 PM »
ReplyReply

first crash when I was 17, second crash at 57.. busted 2 ribs and a knuckle.. Aerostich and Nolan saved my bacon.. Bike works better than ever now!

2009 Buel xb12XT Ulysses

tw0 72 Honda Trail 90's
 MINNEAPOLIS, MN
Blitztour
New Goose

My last Red Motorcycle

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:05:15 PM »
ReplyReply

Did it change the way you ride? Did you go down because of someone else?

Alfonso

2012 Griso 8V
2008 1200 Sport
2002 Buell M2 L
2005 ZZR 1200
Sasquatch Jim
Guzzi Hero

Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 02:05:20 PM »
ReplyReply

I just hate it when I wake up dead.
  I opened my eyes and saw nothing, it was dark.
 A voice kept repeating, " You had a motorcycle crash but you are in a hospital now. We will take good care of you".
 I could move my left hand a little but that was all and even that felt restricted. As I began to awake I began to hurt, BAD.  There was something in my mouth and it felt like something up my nose too.  In my mind I saw the deer about 12 inches in front of me.  I knew it had been about 0930 on a bright sunny first day of summer and now it was dark.
 I asked what time it was.  She said 10 PM.   I said then I have been unconcious for more than ten hours.
 She asked if I knew what day it was and I said, "Sunday".
 She said it's Wednesday, you were brought here Sunday morning.
 I began to see a little in the dim hospital night lights.  I was in some kind of special bed and my upper torso slightly elevated.  I was fastened all around so that not much could move.  I saw that something was taped into my left hand.
 I asked if it was a call button.  She said, " You do not need a call button. You are in an intensive care room and someone is with you 24 / 7.  The button activates a morphine drip through an I.V. needle."
 I began repeatedly pushing the button.
 She said, " there is a governor on it so you cannot kill yourself with an over dose."
 I began to drift, the pain subsided and the lights went dark.
 The next day, I think, I awoke to daylight and pain.  I pressed the button a couple of times.
 I asked the extent of my injuries.
 I had 8 broken ribs, some in more than one place and one puncturing a lung.  Broken shoulder, broken collar bone,
numerous evulsions, some stitched up, numerous LARGE bruises, and  looked as if I had won second place in a sledgehammer fight.  Actually I had won first prize as the opponent had not survived at all.
 I had been helo life flighted to the best Trauma center on the west coast,  Harborview, Seattle.
 I had apparently been dead on arrival of the EMTs who took that as a challenge and went skillfully to work on poor Lazarus.

Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.
Offcamber1
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 02:38:07 PM »
ReplyReply

Two big ones:

1.  In 1980 a pickup pulled an impromptu U-turn in front of me.  T-boned him doing 55mph barely had time to do more than stand up on the left foot peg and the brake pedal.  Totalled a full dress R90/6, but walked away.  Two days later my right knee swelled to the size of a melon, had problems with it ever since.  Also got 30 stitches in my shoulder where I removed the rear view mirror off the pickup; chunks of fless missing, but no long term damage there.  I was young and invincible at the time and too stupid to change my driving habits as I percieved it as the other guys fault.

2.  August 2007, went for an early evening cool off ride after dinner.  Deer popped out of a corn field and hit him dead center (litterally, I crushed the doe's rib cage) at about 45mph.  Broken ribs, clavical, scapula, and a really odd soft tissue issue to my right thigh that had no puncture, but required surgery a week later with 60 stitches to sew the skin back onto the muscle underneith.  As I told my wife in the ER that night, "I'm still invicible, I'm just not as invincible as I used to be."  I was back on a bike (same one, in fact. It came off better than either the doe or myself.) the following late spring but this event REALLY effected my riding.  I will no longer ride at night, dawn, or dusk, and I am extremely paranoid where I do not have good field of vision.  Likely put less than 1500 miles a year on a bike now.  Honestly, that deer really sucked the fun out of my hobby.

Its a fair cop, but society is to blame.
rossw
Guzzi Mentor

My wife let me have a motorbike again.

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2012, 06:41:12 PM »
ReplyReply

I've been quite fortunate to date. Several minor ones early on, including a bozo who did a U turn right in front of me and damaged no more than the indicator on the Honda CB200 I was riding. That was one tough little bike. The side of his car however...

I suppose the worst was one on my GPz900R that was my own stupid fault, not a SMIDSY at all. I was stuck at an intersection due to roadworks. Long story short, I thought I had one car giving way to another car that wasn't crossing my path. I didn't figure on the car giving way moving out a little and in doing so crossing my path. Next thing I knew, I was lying on the road surrounded byt spectators. The road was hot because it was mid January and a sunny day. I had the most intense pain I've ever experienced in my left leg and didn't know if it was broken or not.

I remember the sound of the ambulance siren that day as the most welcome sound I've ever heard.

Upshot was, my leg wasn't broken, no ligaments torn, just an 8cm gash in my left leg left by the centrestand lever and a lot of bruising. I was out of the ER at Westmead by 10PM that day and spent the next week unable to lower my left leg below my waist without it hurting.

I consider myself quite lucky given the experiences of some. I fixed that bike up and as soon as I could went back to riding. Later on, a stint overseas and a period of financial struggle stopped me from riding for a number of years. I got back into riding again about two years ago, and I ride to work very day. Most days, my son goes on the pillion to school as well. My helicopter sister is probably horrified about that but she has the good sense not to criticize.

2003 Moto Guzzi V750ie Breva. It may not be fast, but it's mine!
Previously: 1976 Honda CB200
                       1980 Suzuki GS450S
                       1985 Kawasaki GPz900R
                       1980 Honda CB250RS
Sasquatch Jim
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2012, 09:05:18 PM »
ReplyReply

What is a helicopter sister?

ranette
Weekend Warrior

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2012, 09:19:05 PM »
ReplyReply

What is a helicopter sister?
Parents who hover over their kids like a helicopter, becoming involved, overly involved, in every aspect of their kid's life.

2009 Griso 8V-Moon White
Sasquatch Jim
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 10:49:41 PM »
ReplyReply

First time term for me.

ranette
Weekend Warrior

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 11:00:15 PM »
ReplyReply

First time term for me.
I started hearing it only a few months ago so you're not that far out of the loop.

2009 Griso 8V-Moon White
Blitztour
New Goose

My last Red Motorcycle

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 11:08:22 PM »
ReplyReply

Wow! That sounds like you damn near bought the farm!

And you're touching on one of my biggest fears, which is coming around a corner,  and seeing a deer in the middle of the road.

I don't even want to imagine what it would be like to clip a deer at speed.

Alfonso

2012 Griso 8V
2008 1200 Sport
2002 Buell M2 L
2005 ZZR 1200
guzziks
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2012, 11:17:15 PM »
ReplyReply

first time was 16, car pulled out from side street.  I was probably going 35 or so.  Slid back tire, then tried to turn hard right to go into street him came out of.  Almost made it.  Hit him sideways and the bike took most of the impact.  My head hit is car window post and broke my glasses.  Only other thing was swollen ankle.  Lucked out as speed at impact was slow.  Still remember like it was last week.  He claimed the sun was in his eyes and could not see me.  Made me a lot more concious of where the sun resided when riding.

Second and potentially fatal one occurred during the Wisconsin Guzzi rally about 92.  Pickup towing a hay wagon turned left right in front of me.  We had eye contact before he turned.  Said he was in a hurry and thought he would beat me.  Lucklily I was slowing down when I saw him coming and signalling, but after he looked me in the eye, I let off the brakes, did not speed up and wham he turns.  Rather than getting decapitated by the wagon, I slammed the rear brake on, (this was after I started to skid on the front brake and knew I coulc not stop) pushed the bike down sideways, dove off the bike to slide on the ground. thinking man this is gonna hurt when I hit the rear tire of the trailor or get run over, but luck and good fortune prevailed.  I tucked and rolled for one somersault, ended standing up looking at what was left of my bike.  The bike hit the back tire of the wagon, richocetted to the front tire and flew back to near where it had first hit the ground.  Only injury was skinned bruised knees, Jeans are worthless in a crash.

I never quit riding, but extremely cautious at intersections, whether in the country or the city.  Don't trust anyone in a car.  Also, I don't ride in city traffic anymore unless it is unavoidable.

Walt Collins
07 Norge
sv650 track bike
prof_stack
Guzzi Hero

Ride safely. You are invisible.

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 12:05:44 AM »
ReplyReply

Timely post.  Exactly FIVE years ago today, also on Saturday, I found myself at Harborview hospital in Seattle, at about this very time.

On a one-way street, in the middle lane, I approached an intersection that had blinking yellow lights.  There was an SUV to my left who slowed down.  I thought he was going to turn left.

But, he was stopping for a Honda Civic driver coming from the left (with blinking red lights) who decided to shoot through the intersection.  The Civic driver didn't see me, and I him.

I remember a car right in front of my Buell XB and me trying to hit the brakes.  I was doing about 18mph when I hit him.

According to the police report diagram, I landed in the middle of the intersection, having gone over the Civic.  All I remember is people asking me stupid questions, like "Who is the president?" and "How old are you?"  I couldn't answer them.  The egg had scrambled.

Anyway, I spent the night in the ER, got CT scanned and x-rayed and rudely probed in the rear.  I had a sprained right ankle and right neck.  ATTGATT saved my hide.

The Buell got fixed, I don't know why, and so did I.

Now I would anticipate that Honda Civic.  My sense of danger improved a lot that night.  The Buell got sold a year to the day later, and I got a Nevada from M.I.

Cycle therapy is the best therapy.
Current rides:  2007 Breva 750 ,  2013 Honda CBR250R ABS
Testarossa
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 12:27:11 AM »
ReplyReply

A number of low-speed get-offs but only one injury:  July 4 weekend 1974, and I was riding in a group of four bikes from Manhattan up to St. Jovite in Quebec. Three Hondas and a brand-new Ducati 750 SS. My Honda 500 was the smallest and slowest of the bikes but I had no trouble keeping up with the Honda 750s. We took Vermont 100 most of the way up. At the border, the Duc owner asked if I wanted to ride the desmo, so we swapped bikes. I went at it gently to feel the bike out, but it was so solid and stable I just kept wicking it up and took the lead. On a two-lane country road heading north toward Montreal, I swept around a corner at about 65mph and saw that a crew had just filled in a ditch across the road, with dirt and gravel. I grabbed the brakes hard and downshifted a couple of times (the three Brembos were far more powerful than the single disc and drum on my Honda) and I probably hit the ditch at about 30, still leaned over. The front wheel went left, I high-sided, the bike slid on its right side. I flipped and landed on the left side of my helmet and my left shoulder. Got up right away and went to lift the bike but knew immediately I'd broken the left collarbone.

The guys arrived and all I could say, over and over, was "I f***ed up your bike, I f***ked up your bike!"  In fact the Duc was rideable: the right footpeg was gone and the right side of the fairing alll busted up, but nothing else was bent or out of place. I got a ride to the local clinic, where I announced "J'ai brise mon clavicle," and they assumed I was a local and put me in a plaster tee-shirt. No charge. When I got back to the scene, the right footpeg had already been welded back on by a local, and the fairling wired up so it wouldn't flap around. We parked my bike and I got a lift into Montreal; that night, at a fancy restaurant, we had to paint a tie onto the front of my body cast to meet the dress code. I flew home next day and six weeks later flew back to collect the Honda. Damage to the Duc amounted to $400 -- of course those were real dollars.

Lesson learned: never ride another man's bike.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:32:15 AM by Testarossa » Logged

1974 850T
1970 Triumph TR6R
1991 Suzuki VX800
1974 Yamaha TA125
Gone:
1959 Piper Comanche 250
1974 Laverda 750 SF2
1969 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS
1971 Honda CB500/4 pre-K
prof_stack
Guzzi Hero

Ride safely. You are invisible.

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2012, 12:47:52 AM »
ReplyReply

Two big ones:

1.  ...

2.  ... It came off better than either the doe or myself.) the following late spring but this event REALLY effected my riding.  I will no longer ride at night, dawn, or dusk, and I am extremely paranoid where I do not have good field of vision.  Likely put less than 1500 miles a year on a bike now.  Honestly, that deer really sucked the fun out of my hobby.

After reading about deer strikes, I have great trepidation about some of my favorite rides through forest and gorge roads.  It seems to happen instantly with no chance to react.  

I liked it better when I was younger and unaware of such things...

Cycle therapy is the best therapy.
Current rides:  2007 Breva 750 ,  2013 Honda CBR250R ABS
Stormtruck2
AKA Scotch and Cigars
Guzzi Hero

Geese Fly in a Proper V

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 11:29:51 AM »
ReplyReply

Saturday in 1978.  The day before had bought a brand new Yamaha XS Eleven Special.  Since I bought the bike new, the dealer gave me a great discount on gear.  I bought a Bell full face helmet and of course the obligatory leather jacket, boots,  and ass less chaps.  Man back then I rocked those chaps. Cheesy Roll Eyes Rode 200 miles that day after I had bought the bike after work.  Now it's Saturday morning and I am off duty. I am gonna ride all day, drink and fornicate all night.  Yup, I got this plan locked down. I am on a road between Groton and Greenwich.  Nice twisty back road.  Coming  around a corner the sign says blind drive ahead. No problem, I know the place.  Had burned down years before, only a stone foundation left.  No other building there. Just tall weeds.  I have the bike laid over, as best as you could lay an XS 1100 over.  Doing about 65 when wham, a Chrysler Newport Custom pulled out in front of me. Hit in the left front tire at 65 mph. The laws of cannot be violated. A body in motion DOES stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. The Newport would meet the criteria of an outside force. My brand new bike ceased forward motion and commenced vertical motion. I on the other hand continue my forward motion at a rate of 95 feet per second.  My beautiful bike came to an eternal rest on the hood of the car.  My Superman imitation met it's kryponite in the form of Connecticut asphalt. I frogged out as I flew through the air with the greatest of dread. Hitting the road with my chest first, then my face, arms and hands promptly followed . Looking like Johnny Bench coming into home I slide down the road sans motorized steed. Finally coming to a hot stop, my chest warmed not by the heat of the morning sun on the asphalt, but the friction of leather on the road. Laying there trying to remember how to breath, my diaphragm decides to play along and work. Moments later an ambulance arrives on the scene to take me to the hospital. In the wagon I look at my new helmet and it doesn't look like the beautiful white Bell that I had bought.  Not because of the scratches on the remaining face shield, but because of the missing face bar. The face bar had broken at some point of my improvised landing. Yes, back then they did immediately remove your helmet at the accident scene. Checking me over and finding no seemingly misplaced or misshapen pieces, they decide to keep me over night for "observation."  Laying in my room I have an unexpected visitor.  The driver of the Coupe DeBarge that had rudely interrupted my morning ride. She was shapely, raven haired,  green eyed and seventeen. I ask her why the hell she pulled out in front of me.  She had been headed towards me when she missed her turn. She turned left into the abandoned farmstead and made a u turn driving through the weeds. Coming back to the road she wanted to turn right to come back the way she had come.  She was going to turn right so she was looking right when I hit her. She not only did not see me, she didn't even look to her left. She was really sorry and I, was really pissed and sore. She asked how she could make it up to me.  I saw my chance to get even, so I asked her to dinner.  She was 17, I was 17, so it worked.  She had destroyed my new bike with only 250 miles on it.  But I got even, I dated her for two years after the wreck.  Yup, she paid for the crash on the installment plan.  Wink Cheesy   

If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé
guzziks
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
ReplyReply

apparently she knocked the fornication out of you, for that night

Walt Collins
07 Norge
sv650 track bike
Stormtruck2
AKA Scotch and Cigars
Guzzi Hero

Geese Fly in a Proper V

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2012, 11:55:09 AM »
ReplyReply

apparently she knocked the fornication out of you, for that night

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy  Yup, that she did, but not forever. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé
kern16
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »
ReplyReply

OK since you asked?
Was on our way back from 2 weeks in S. Dakota. Dream ride my destination was South Alabama. Got as far as Louisiana running around 65MPH on a two lane hwy. I NEVER saw what what hit me. NEVER had a chance to apply any brake, prepare, lay it down whatever (another way to look at this is that might just be a good thing?) An IDIOT (this is what I"m told by my friend who was behind me and the driver of an RV) ran a stop sign entered the hwy and simply ran in front of me! All I remember is it was HOT and looking at the scenery (or what there was of it?" Then everything turned GREY? It was like watching TV and someone hit the mute button and your screen was grey?
No noise, No pain......just silence.........
When I came to I was on my back and I saw orange cones all around me and folks gathering to look. I saw the trooper speaking to someone who I later found out was the elderly man that hit me. He had hit a Wonder Bread truck about (3) weeks earlier I found out. His daughter was arguing with the trooper saying "I Told U So!" U should have taken his license he can't see? It's funny how the mind works I vividly remember saying to myself......DAMN... .I wish I had not taken my Aerostitch jacket off just minutes before the accident! (Too HOT!) I always wear my gear if U note the closeup pic that's where my head hit his windshield which sent me flying N the air! I will not get into it over do helmets save lives you can be the judge I've quit arguing that a long time ago. I was wearing a NOLAN 103 it damaged and hangin in my ManCave as I type this.
I implore everyone who reads this to take a few minutes to review their Insurance Police and particularly the Un-Insured Motorist provision. The IDIOT did not even have enough insurance to pay for my LifeFlight (I think he had 20K) so guess what it fell on my insurance company! I was very fortunate to have over 400K in un-insured insurance. We had been with our provider for over 40yrs and no major clams.........it took 1 1/2 years for them to pay me!!!!! I'll save that for another thread another time let's just say it wasn't pretty. They (ins company) even reviewed my cell phone records to see if I was on the phone or texting at the time of the accident.
Over a period of 10 mos I went from wheelchair to walker to riding my dirt bike. What this accident took from me is I always dressed for an accident, I was a safe rider, I never drink and ride BLAH, BLAH, BlAH at the same time I never worried about it. It happened to other riders but not me? Even though there was nothing I could have done! Again what it took from me was now every time I get on my bike where before I never thought about an accident now I do. YES I still ride.......but I have lost all confidence in the driving public. If a car is turning N front of me my whole body goes into lock down it never did that before?
As I ride more and more (just took my first ride of any length to BikeWeek) I believe it will get better........I hope so.........I love to ride and I've been doing it since my first bike at age 14 I'll be 60 in August!
My injuries could have been much worse as you can see from the pics.
My pelvis was fractured in (4) places that's why I had trouble with walking, a broken wrist, deflated lung (punctured) and a pulmonary embolism OH remember the taking off of my jacket a NICE assortment of Road Rash!
I believe the next part of your post was how has it affected me. I touched on that briefly I did add a headlight modulator, extra running lights (deer lights) and a very LOUD horn! Like yourself I take nothing for granted covering my brakes at intersecton assuming I am invisible etc etc.
The pics tell the story much better than I ever could. I never once thought I would give up riding. I don't play golf (would rather watch paint dry) this is my hobby and what I love doing. If there is a next time so be it....it's the price we pay for wind in our face, bugs in our teeth I wouldn't trade it for anything!

Regards
phillip

« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 12:01:46 PM by kern16 » Logged
Blitztour
New Goose

My last Red Motorcycle

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
ReplyReply

Well, we're pretty similar in our biking history. Got my first bike at 15 years old and I turn 60 in Sept.

That's one horrific crash you survived. I'm always amazed at what the human body can withstand and recover from.  

But the part that really hit home with me (and I didn't mention in my post) was the INS aspects.

In 1986 neither I nor my passenger had health INS.

I was 33 years old and making fair money. Fortunately I had a minimum liability MC policy that included personal injury. So, Darcy was covered up to $10k.

Unfortunately, her total (and the biggest part was dental) came to over $18k (that would probably be more like ($80k in today’s health care dollars)

The Junkie and the vehicle he stole, were both uninsured. He was penniless and owned nothing!

After emptying my savings account to cover Darcy, I started to pay off my hospital bills using two credit cards (and you know the rest of the story from there)

There was no way to catch up or pay them off and I refused to file bankruptcy.

So I surrendered the cards and told them to hand me over to collection.  I was hounded by collections agents for the next 7 years.  In 1992, I was contacted by a collection agency assigned my case when I applied for my first home mortgage (I was way down the food chain by then) I settled the entire matter for $1400.

20 years later my credit is now fully restored (800+) and I’m insured to the best I can afford.

Point being, as I mentioned in my post, this guy just had no clue as to how he’d altered the lives of the people he’d injured and just how long it took to correct not only my physical health but my fiscal health as well.  

I can only wonder what might have been if I didn't have to shell out my life savings to cover hospital bills.

I'm glad your were covered and wish I'd had that same forsight in my younger days Wink

Alfonso

2012 Griso 8V
2008 1200 Sport
2002 Buell M2 L
2005 ZZR 1200
kern16
Guzzi Mentor

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2012, 01:11:37 PM »
ReplyReply

No foresight on MY part...my wife put $250K uninsured motorist on me and my bike! I remember calling the agent to see what my limits were (I assumed maybe 25K) she paused for a minute and she gave me the amt! I have an idea it was one of those "Oh &^%$" moments but like I said it took over 1 1/2yrs to FINALLY collect! PLS everyone if you see your going to have an accident dismount and MAKE SURE the person your about to hit or is hitting U has adequate insurance! (Sorry Couldn't Help Myself)

Regards
phillip
Offcamber1
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2012, 01:33:07 PM »
ReplyReply

MAKE SURE the person your about to hit or is hitting U has adequate insurance! (Sorry Couldn't Help Myself)

Fooking deer don't carry insurance!  (Support your local deer poacher!)

Its a fair cop, but society is to blame.
hiro
New Goose

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2012, 01:36:44 PM »
ReplyReply

Hi all, thought I'd introduce myself in the crash thread, hope it won't be an omen   Cheesy

Just bought a V7 Racer, my first Guzzi for 25 yrs, in fact my first bike for 25 yrs...

I had several crashes in my youth, some due to other road users, some due to road conditions, but mainly due to me riding like I was invincible as you do at that age!
I used to have a V50 Monza that I used every day come rain, shine or snow to get to work all around the country (UK) and became so used to crashing that I remember on one occasion, that as I was sliding sideways along the ground after overtaking on a patch of road covered by gravel, I was analysing the damage to the bike and working out how much the spill would cost me.  By the time I ground to halt I had a list, all priced up, and ready to order from Spares n Repairs in Watford (any UK members remember them?)!

Once I snapped the gear lever leaving an extremely sharp point where it would touch my boot, so I rode the 70 miles home making all upward gear changes by hand.

After putting 35000 miles on the Monza, I traded up to a Le Mans 3 that I enjoyed for a year before a drunk driver pulled out on me in town flinging me over the bonnet.  No major damage to me, apart from leaving me with dodgy knees and some concussion, but my bike was wrecked.  All I remember was the police bike rider (who I knew was behind me so was sticking to the speed limit) dragging the guy out of his car by his jacket.  Of course he was uninsured and when I finally got the payout from my own, my new wife put an end to my biking career.

And so to the present, loving being back on a Guzzi again, and riding a lot more carefully now!

Ride safe

Andy

Andy
pcarnut
Guzzi Hero

Lost but making gr8 time.

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2012, 01:39:22 PM »
ReplyReply

About 8 years ago, coming home from a casual evening cruise.  Wife on the back, two lane country road, doing about 45 and stationed between two other cars, all of us just cruising along.  It's just past dusk and the witching hour for deer.  With no warning we are down, just a flash of brown from the right.  Never saw it and nothing to be done.  

Been riding for 45+ years with the first 8-9 years on dirt bikes so loads of spills but this was by far much worse.  Don't remember much for the first minute or two after Bambi hit us.  According to the wife I was just laying in the road not moving and she thought I was dead, really scared her.  I came to laying on my chest and right side.  People had stopped, I slowly got up and everything moved okay.  Meanwhile the stoopid dear is staggering around in the middle of the road, I'm wondering what the heck to do about it when along comes another car and hits it at about 20 mph, not much but enough to finish the job.  

At this point I look at the wife and she has some pretty bad road rash on her legs and the bike is a mess too.  It had apparently barrel rolled a few times and was now laying in the center of the road.  With some help from the wife we get it up and off to the side of the road.  About this time nausea and vertigo take over and I have to lay down.  After a few moments these pass and I get up and see if the bike will start, amazingly it does.  At this point all I want to do is get home.  The bike is rideable so we mount up and limp home.  

Get home and with the help of a friend who is a nurse we get the wife cleaned up, my injuries are a sore shoulder and small raspberry on my knee.  Bike is mechanically okay but cosmetically challenged, so over the next few weeks I order new fairing bits (ST1100) and put her back on the road.

For the first time in my life I really see that it can all end through circumstances totally beyond your control.  For the next year I was very uncomfortable riding and thought maybe it was time to hang up the gloves.  In the end I got over the anxiety but avoid riding at night like the plague.  Still get pretty nervous after dark.

Roger
Sandy Eggo, CA

09 Bonneville SE
07 FJR1300
83 R100S
Sasquatch Jim
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2012, 02:21:20 PM »
ReplyReply

I notice that a disproportionate number of these posts are about deer causing crashes.  I notice no fatalities. I guess that's because the dead don't post in this thread.
I FIRMLY believe that when a deer causes a crash in or close to an urban environment, people are responsible.
 Stupid people who put out salt lick blocks and feeding stations so they can watch the cute deer in their yards.
 DEER BELONG IN THE FORESTS! They should not be lured out of the forests as a sort of pet. They lose their fear of people and traffic, (they are one of the stupidest animals when it comes to traffic anyway) and cause injury damage and death to the unsuspecting.
 I believe when a deer causes such a crash, nearby residences should be investigated for salt and feeding stations.
 If such are found, the owners should be held responsible for ALL damages and financial liabilities incurred as owners of the deer the same as if their cow had been allowed to wander onto the road.
 If a few such cases are prosecuted with law suit, and prevail, maybe the practice of luring deer into the yard may cease.
 The year the deer got me, I was only one of three deer motorcycle crashes in the urban area around Port Townsend that year.  I know that there were even more deer car crashes than that in the same area.
Hunting regulations need to be eased.  They are deliberately trying to discourage deer hunters for cute little bambi so much the the deer are over populating and hence that too moves them into urban areas.
 Sue the state that does this as they are also owners of the deer.

Testarossa
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2012, 02:33:14 PM »
ReplyReply

Reintroduce wolves. And cougars. That'll cut down on the deer, and on annoying small pets.

1974 850T
1970 Triumph TR6R
1991 Suzuki VX800
1974 Yamaha TA125
Gone:
1959 Piper Comanche 250
1974 Laverda 750 SF2
1971 Honda CB500/4 pre-K
Sasquatch Jim
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »
ReplyReply

Reintroduce wolves. And cougars. That'll cut down on the deer, and on annoying small pets.

As much as I agree with that, I doubt that they will be re introducing such predators to urban areas.
 Urban areas are the most dangerous as the deer lose their fear on people and vehicles.
 After my crash, when I saw deer in the road, I would slow down, aim for the deer and at the last second honk, yell snarl loudly and if possible kick one.  I even bumped one gently with the sidecar.
 My intent was to terrorize them to re introduce fear into their feeble minds.  It works.
 By the time I moved away from that area, if I came around a corner and there were deer on or near the road, when they saw me they ran and hid just like they are supposed to.

Testarossa
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2012, 03:16:11 PM »
ReplyReply

We have cougar and coyotes here in town, and while deer are common in the yards and side streets, they rarely wander out into traffic. In 15 years I've only seen one injured deer on a main avenue.  Much more common to see them dead on rural highways and mountain roads.

In March, 2005, I totaled a Subaru against a pregnant elk, just south of San Luis, Colorado. Midnight on a bright full-moon night, straight road with no trees for miles. I was the only car in sight. Who knows why she aimed at me? She came through the windshield, folding the roof back to within an inch of my forehead and right back to the passenger seat. I was uninjured except for tiny chips of glass stuck in my knuckles, glasses and nose. Happy not to have had a passenger aboard. The sheriff's deputy said 12 elk had been killed on that stretch of road in two weeks. Everyone in town was eating elk steak. Allstate gave me $1200 for the wreck.

1974 850T
1970 Triumph TR6R
1991 Suzuki VX800
1974 Yamaha TA125
Gone:
1959 Piper Comanche 250
1974 Laverda 750 SF2
1971 Honda CB500/4 pre-K
Blitztour
New Goose

My last Red Motorcycle

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
ReplyReply

"No foresight on MY part...my wife put $250K uninsured motorist on me and my bike!"

I knew there was a good reason why Ishoulda got married!  Grin

Alfonso

2012 Griso 8V
2008 1200 Sport
2002 Buell M2 L
2005 ZZR 1200
Denis
Guzzi Mentor

Information is not knowledge.

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2012, 03:54:49 PM »
ReplyReply

First: April, 1990. I'd had the SPII only since January. I was in the left wheel track of the right lane and a car going the same direction as me but in the left lane in front of me slowed down, turned on the left turn signal and promptly turned right into my bike. They hit me with the left front corner of their Escort, so I was almost past them. They hit the left cylinder of the SP and it threw me across the entire lane and I hit the curb.

For some reason, the bike stayed up right but was on-again/off-again the curb for 40 feet or so and I didn't realize it at the time but I barely missed a telephone pole. I DID have the sense not to screw with the brakes this whole time and instead the bike eventually sorted itself out and I rolled to a stop in a parking lot. I was ANGRY at those people but at least they had the decency to stop. They claimed to have not seen me and that the girl was driving wanted to make a left but he told her she needed to take a right. That's why you don't tell the driver what to do in most cases. Also why I now try to pass by cars as quickly as possible rather than ride next to them.

Second: Valentine's Day, 1998.
I was on my newly acquired R90S and was on the way to work. It was cold the night before but warmed up over night so the road was slimy. I took the exit ramp off Capital Blvd onto the Beltline where traffic was very much stop and go. I saw a nice big space in which to merge (behind a green pickup and in front of a gray car) and was just sliding into the lane when the line of cars in front of me started putting on their brake lights. I lightly touched the front brake lever at the exact instant the front wheel crossed over one of those vinyl white stripes in the road.

Remember I said the road was slimy? Yeah, well that white stripe just as well have been oil because that front brake locked up and I remember a) being upright then, b) being heeled over to the right then c) almost being on the ground.

It knocked me out for a couple of seconds I guess. When I woke up a remember thinking, "YEAH, I'm still here!" and then, "Hey, my bike's on it's side way over in the fast lane" and then, "My shoulder kinda hurts" and then, and the worst "I'm sitting in the middle of the highway". I slowly turned around expecting the last thing I ever saw to be the license plate on that gray car. But no, she'd stopped at least 100 feet away from me. The guy in the green truck in front had seen me merging in his right side view mirror but saw me going down when he looked in his rearview mirror, so as fast as he could he jerked his truck back to the right towards the shoulder so I wouldn't go under his truck.

He probably did more to save my life than anything which could have happened. As it was I fractured my right collar bone and shoulder blade. The EMT guy who showed up said, "I'm going to have to cut your jacket off" and I said, "No hell you are not!" He didn't and I still have it.

Put the BMW back together and sold the hell out of it.

Show me a Le Mans IV and I'll show you a Le Mans 1000.
Sanders63
New Goose

Keep Smiling

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2012, 07:23:01 PM »
ReplyReply

Grin Well since we are doing "the story" I stole my dad's BMW R60 in 1960 or 61 to ride it. So I've been into bikes a while
Sept. 1970, I was fresh off my second tour in Nam. The army didn't want me anymore and I didn't want them or anybody else.
I got a job working on a ranch and farm in Texas. Not to hard my cousin was his wife. That way I did not have to be around people, and there fore I would not have to many problems.
After settling in to the job for about thirty days, I took off to Wichita Falls, Texas to buy a Norton 750 Commando, one of the three fast production bikes at the time. There was no Norton dealer in Wichita, ( other moments of brilliance & planning will emerge).
There were BSA,Triumphs, Yamaha and Honda. Only fastest of the bunch was the Honda ( I am now 21 years old, I turned 19 in nam and 21).
Now I have one of the fastest production motorcycles of the day, I'm working in the back country of Texas you have to drive 60 miles to the nearest city. Further than that if you want a large city.
My mode of poperation is get on bike, helmet, gloves, cowboy boots, blue jeans and blue jean jacket or flight jacket. Start bike shift to first hit redline shift and so forth until hit redline in 4th shift to fifth, speed is now 104mph by speedo. This is the way I rode the bike all over that part of texas, you hunt for corners.
I got called back to the ranch one afternoon late, a guy wanted some seed wheat. I jump on the bike and go do my job, augering and shoveling seed wheat into the trailer for the farmer.
I clear up all the gear, stow the equipment .
I jump on the bike and head to my shack in the woods. There's an S curve before you get to the river bridge, it has begun to get dark  and completely out of my nature I back off the throttle to 85mph (God maybe?) as I make the transition through the end of the "S" and straighten up there is a flash of brown,
I remember going to first gear, all brakes (front and rear)then I was airborne ( this happened in a nano second) I hit bounced went airborne, things got quiet, I put my hands down to push up and burnt the palms out of my gloves, that apparently started another bounce and hit, I started sliding and could not fold up my left leg as I had my right, it was out there just banging and flopping out to my left, I rolled over on my back and slid until it got to painful, then to one shoulder and then to the other shoulder, then I remembered the steel marking post that they put at the begining and ending of curves and I got pissed I had just survied two tours of nam and now a damn F**ing post was going to chop me in hafl. Then I heard this sound like a damn train was coming, and I opened my eyes (I didn't even know I had them closed) the evening was lit up by the metal rack, fins and points case grinding against the pavement as this 529 lb motorcycle was sliding past me in the same lane *holy crap*. We did not make contact with each other, thank God. I finally just got tired of sliding, and low and behold I slid off the pavement on to the gravel shoulder, I had quit hurting till I hit the gravel and apparently that aggravated some nerves.
First I just laid there, then I slowly started to get up feeling for bone slippage and looking for things poking out of my hide.
The left leg was not broke but the ankle was badly banged up, but no bonne slippage so I tried hobbling on it, then I saw which to me was unbelievable! The front head light was lit up on the bike, You do not have a front end collisin on a bike and the light be undamaged. What the heck did I jus have flash back and crash my bike for no reason?? Then I turned around and looked back down the road and sure enough the headlight was shining on what later was determined to be a 180lb buck.
Damn, so I reach down to pick up the bike and notice the handle bars are bent together now about 6" apart and the grips are pointed forward like horns, and then I thought I might be in shock and more screwed up than I thought (I had seen that before). So I pulled out a chesterfield King lit it up and laid down putting my head on the bikes seat, and damn if it didn't start to sprinle rain on me . I firgured I would lay there until a car came past and get some help when they saw me or the dear. Well sure as crap a the first car to stop was a bunch of Texas Highway Patrol guys coming back from some conference in Fort Worth.
They proceeded to stop because the dear was in their lane and a hazard, then they saw me.
Now at that time in the state of texas they had a stupid law that the speed limit for Motorcycles was 60mph.
If any of you guys know Texas state troopers then their sense of humor is not the best.
Any way they call the local HP and start picking up stuff that came out of my back pockets since ther are no longer part of my jeans. They keep trying to call me a ambulance. Some thing about how my back looks lke hambuger and one arm looks better than the other. All that is left of my jacket is the collar yoke the top of the sleeves the front of the jacket , the elastic bands at the wrist and waist.
The local guy shows up and asks me what happened  and I say I saw a flash of brown.
Then he whips out his handy dandy roller measurer and hands chalk and pads to the guys that originally stop and start measuring and chalking and acting like they are at a real crime scene.
Then the guy comes back and asks how fast I was going, Yes sir officer I was doing 60mph,
He looks at me kind of funny.( Oh! they had put me in the locals car to get me out of the drizzel, he put some towels on the back of the seat so I wouldn't get any blood on it)
He goes back out and confers with all his brotherhood law enforcement.
When he comes back he tells me that I had knocked the dear 180 ft. from point of impact, that I had gone 300 ft. from point of impact and the motorcycle had gone 340 ft. from point of impact and then asked my again how fast I was going.  "60mph officer"
I got the local to take me back to the ranch, I knew my cousins husband had some beer and I really wanted one.
The next couple of days I was the topic of interest on the radio and local papers. We are talking out in the Texas boonies folks.
Later an Airborne ranger out of the Korean war "Frankinstein Pounds" a friend of mine went out to get my bike and said he could only salvage one hind quarter out of the deer. He said what messed up my ankle was when the deer's head came around the side of the bike broke his antlers off on my ankle.
Pounds also took my forks and had them straightened. 5 days later we pulled the rack off the bike and patched the side cover with devecon, and cleaned up the aluminum from the ground fins, I leaned my crutches against the barn wall Pounds  held the bike I climbed on, slid it intogear. Hit the HWY 1st to redline till 4th redline shift to 5th.  Brought it back to the barn and told frank it handle weird in the "S" , Frankinstein laughed and said "oh yeh, I forgot to put fork oil in the right fork". We remedied that and continued on. Oh! They put up a deer crossing sign thirty days later

From that point on I did not slow down much, but I am one of the most alert riders there is . I trust no intersections or cars, I look for some thing to happen all the time and I have missed deer for years now. My wife and I were on the 96 Guzzi in2009 or 2010 behind two BMW riding couples south of Mena going over an old concrete bridge 1st BMW, 2nd BMW, onto the bidge flash of brown to the right, hit brakes, as the deer comes from the right corner of the bridge lands on the bridge can't get his footing and finally goes off the left side. My wife never saw him until he was scrambling on the bridge. The BMW couples never saw him because it happened between us. If you ever hit one it makes an permanent impression.
Now that I am 63, I am a lot slower I only see 100+ when passing sometimes Grin

Sanders63
84 V65C (for sale)
90 Honda Pacific Coast (sold)
96 California (for sale)
2002 K1200LT (for Sale)
Third Wheel trailer (for Sale)
FuzzyRider
Sunday Rider

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2012, 08:29:14 PM »
ReplyReply

To this point I have been very fortunate in my riding. I did have a significant crash in 1991. I was exiting the interstate on a 360 degree circular exit. My mind was elsewhere and I was probably going 30 mph at the max. The next thing I know I am sliding on my face. Very interesting perspective. Thankfully, I was wearing a full face so I still have a nose, but I was hurt. When I staggered up a car with two men in it stopped and asked what happened. I replied ,' I don't know' and they drove off. At that point, I realized I no longer had a right shoulder. It appeared to be somewhere down around my elbow. The police showed up and called my wife and then an ambulance. Unfortunately, my physical appearance seemed to match that of a person who had just committed an armed robbery so the attitude of the police abruptly changed and they began to interrogate me. My wife finally arrived and convinced them I was not that person. Long story short, the next clear memory I have is waking up in an operating room with a doctors foot on my rib cage pulling on my arm. At that point, we had three small children and were not on very sound financial terms and my wife made me give up motorcycles. I couldn't argue with here because I had absolutely no idea how the accident had occurred. It wasn't until about 18 years later that I finally came to an understanding. I watched a video of a bike getting hit from behind by a truck ,the driver going over the bars, and the truck subsequently running over him. The guy that stopped and asked what happened wanted to know if I realized that he had hit me from behind and since I had no idea the left. At least he didn't run over me. Thankfully, after the kids got out of school and the finances got better I was finally able to get on a bike again. My wife, to this day, refuses to ride with me.
Farmer Dan
Weekend Warrior

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »
ReplyReply

Was home on leave from the Marines.  Heading south on US27 when an elderly lady (83) ran a stop sign.  I remember standing up on the pegs and the front fender hitting the drivers side door.  I woke up three days later with a broken sternum and all my riding gear ripped to shredds.  The lady spent two months in the hosptial but came out ok.  Her Buick LeSabre was totaled by the insurance company as was my bike.  I still get a chill down my neck when I drive that stretch of road.
bigdogpup
Weekend Warrior

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 01:53:55 AM »
ReplyReply

1978, 1am going home 1.5miles from work at a movie theater.  Came around a ramp onto unlighted highway and hit a black '68 thunderbird sitting in the center of three lanes as I accelerated on my GT750 water buffalo.  The T-bird was the middle of the road, turned off, with no lights or hazards and the driver had left the car but the girlfriend was still in the passenger seat.  I hit it so hard my bike did a 360 in the air and my head went through the back window before my legs (caught under the handlebars) pulled me out, up and over.  I don't remember anything after the split second my headlights panned onto the car...next I was staring thru the broken shield on my FF helmet with people over me looking down.  I couldn't breathe or move.  Somebody was yelling to get me away from the bike because gas was all over the place and others were saying "don't touch him".  I remember hearing the trashed bike still idling perfectly in the background.
  My FF helmet did its job. I left the imprints of all my upper front teeth in the chin bar padding, my pelvis made a 6 inch long dent in the gas tank, my legs folded up the handlebars until they were almost touching and my riding weight bomber jacket had split all it's seams from the forearms up to my armpits and down to my waist in the impact.  The stuffing was all hanging out.  My shoes flew 50 feet down the street.  I had decent gear plus lots of heavy clothing because it was quite cold out.
  The bike was toast, I had knee problems, toe problems and bashed shins, bashed teeth, my nuts swelled to 4 times normal size and I couldn't walk for week but felt incredibly lucky.  You bounce back quicker when your 19.
I would be dead on-scene if I hadn't had the helmet on.
  6 months later the guy tried to sue me for multiple things incl bending the frame on his car but it was thrown out...the judge said I couldn't be charged for "failing to yield the right of way to a parked vehicle" when it shouldn't have been there in the first place. The guy never gave a reason for leaving the car with lights off or why he stopped.  Go figure.
  A year later I bought a gently used BSA single that I putted around on every once it a while for the next 12 yrs or so.  No more commuting or late night rides.  I still have it to this day.
  Haven't had a wreck since then but as careful as I am, you still can't foresee all the stupidity out there.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 01:57:31 AM by bigdogpup » Logged

'03 California Stone Touring
'03 Harley FXD Dyna Super Glide
'89 Honda XR600r "The Moose"
'83 Kawasaki KE100 project
'68 BSA 441 Shooting Star (my second bike, bought in the '70's)
Furbo
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2012, 08:32:30 AM »
ReplyReply

Allora...

1974 - 1982: multiple scrapes & stratches from innumerable failed hill climbs, mis-judged jumps, poor cornering techniques in the dirt on everything from Honda 50 Minitrails to CR 250's. An Education.  

1. 1984, ' 76 Kawasaki KZ400. Heading into the Richland HS parking lot to teach clarinet lessons.....stop at the odd 3 way intersection, the 16yr old behind me does NOT - lays me on my butt, brake pedal punches a hole in the case cover, oil all over heck - no major injuries.

2. 1993, 71 Laverda 750. Just passed a scooter on the dorsale Berici s. of Vicenza, Italy on the way to work Great set of S curves but misjudged the entry speed. went wide on the 1st R hander, over corrected, ran into a stone gate. Broken ribs, broken collar bone, broken shoulder blade (they congratulated me on that one!)

3. 1996, 71 Laverda 750 (the same) Friday nite, heading home! Just got on the A6 autobahn N. of Mannheim, Germany, heading East... got plowed over from behind by a big Mercedes doing over 100mph (I was doing about 80). Woke up in hopital next morning with pretty significant memory loss, busted collar bone (the same one...) busted wrist, other monir stuff. We were working crazy with the Bosnia deployment so went back to work pretty quick A young Lieutenant who worked for me (I was a Captain at the time) comes in and preports progress on his project while I was out.....had to say "Ok stud - thanks for the reports - but...WHO are you and WHAT do you do for me again?"

4. 2002, '96 Sport 1100. Just left the last gas station in Italy heading North over the Brenner pass. Didnt get the sidestand all the way up (I'd 'fixed it so it wouldnt spring up y'know... Roll Eyes) Just before the Vipiteno exit, the road veers left, I try to - but the side stand digs in...drove me right into the guard rail at about 80mph. Broken left hand, stitches in elbow - very painful pulled inner groin muscles. Hand required surgery so spent the nite in the Vipeteno hopsital.  

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:49:03 AM by Furbo » Logged

Vicenza, Italy
'96 Sport 1100
'72 N. Falcone
'72 Eldo

Eccl 9:9,10
Strom
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2012, 09:07:04 AM »
ReplyReply

Ugh... only been riding (a bit more) for the past 13 years... nothing serious so far (knock on wood).
But since there is no severity limit... here are a few observations:

1) 1999 or thereabout, on a new to me 84 V35 cafe wannabe. In town, S bend, cars parked on the right and an elderly cyclist comes from behind one of them and stops in the middle of the road, wide-eyed.
I slam on the brakes, not used to the linked system (had the guzzi for a week, didnt pay it off yet - I was kinda broke when I bought it) and promptly lock both wheels while leaned right. That didnt go so well, but the bike somehow slid in front of the cyclist, I went behind him.
Time slowed, I checked twice for cars behind me, so they would not run me over (no idea what I would do if there was a car there), I checked twice for the poor V35 and the damage it was recieving as it bounced off a sidewalk with both wheels at once. I even checked the cyclist and I was thinking how I was going to punch him in the face when I come to a halt.
The bike stalled, was off to the left of the road and not a hazard, I was in the middle of the road and was protected from oncoming cars by the said cyclist, so my first priority was to beat the crap out of the cyclist. As I was running to the cyclist, he was just about far enough for me to realise, it was not polite to punch elderly people in the face in the broad daylight in the middle of our nations capital. So I just yelled a bit. He helped me pick up the bike and I took his info, in case the repairs cost me more than a sixpack.
A beer for welding a brake linkage and some paper to hold up a broken blinker later I was happily riding along once more.
Lesson learned: Dont brake for cyclists. Its more believable it was an accident than "accidentally" punching them in the face.

2) Bout two years ago I made a right turn off a highway to a more local road... big intersection, nice curve to take at about 20-40 kmh. I was on my 98EV. I see some shiny stuff spilled. OK, here we go... my mind to slow motion... but it really didnt. I gave it a bit of throttle as I began to slide, since the tire might grab and throw me off... well, a few wobbles later I did an excellent impersonation of Superman and ruined my summer riding gloves, tore some flesh off the palm of my left hand as I landed, broke my walkman headphones that were in my pocket, ruined my jacket and got some road rash on my forearms.
The bike still idleded, while on the side (damn you guzzi for not installing a tip-over switch), so I killed it with a button, pulled it upright, pointed in the right direction, started and went on to work (I was late for a meeting).
They wouldnt have me for the meeting, since I was bleeding all over the floor, so I went to the drug store to get some bandages and ointments. The bike was fixed using a sledge hammer and a piece of wood (right crash bar bent, floorboard holders bent, exhaust and some other parts scraped).
Lesson learned: Keep a sledge hammer at home, along with other tools.

Since everyone has their list of bikes in their sig... and it seems useful, here we go:
1979 Yamaha XS 1100
1984 Moto Guzzi V35 II
1998 Moto Guzzi California EV
gearman
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2012, 11:35:42 AM »
ReplyReply

I can;t read this thread. It will make me fearful. Wink
roofus
Guzzi Hero

"I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »
ReplyReply

I number of years ago I hit some grave/sand while turning left on a sharp turn in Vermont. The front wheel lost traction and I lowsided it and skidded int a group of about a dozen paramedics getting out from a seminar in a nearby building. I was not hurt, just a skinned knee because I had taken of my leather riding pants in favour of jeans that day Angry

They were all over me, pining me to the ground so I couldn't get up. I kept saying "I'm alright, let me up!!! They wouldn't in case I had a broken neck or something serious. The were asking me questions to see if I had a concussion or not. They asked me who the President was . . . I am Canadian but I new it Was Bill Clinton at the time, so I said Hillary Clinton to lighten the situation! My sense of humor was wasted. They threw a blanket over me even though it was 90 and I was wearing a leather jacket. I was loaded into an ambulance and shipped off to the Darmouth College Medical Center in New Hampshire which was the closest hospital.

They treated me very well, although the nurse got mad at me when I sneaked to the washroom for a pee without a helper. They quickly patched up my knee and sent me on my way.

The amusing thing was I got an invoice for $2 and some odd cents a few months later, which was the difference between what the actual bill was and what my Ontario Government medical plan would pay them. I sent them a money order for the balance because now I can say I am a Dartmouth Man  Wink

2007 California Vintage, 2010 V7 Cafe, 2012 Norge, 2013 V7 Special, 2014 Norton Commando 961
Testarossa
Guzzi Hero

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 06:20:12 PM »
ReplyReply

Not to politicize this, but a pattern is emerging here: Americans are scared to take an injury to the doctor. Canadians, and Americans riding in Canada, just waltz in and out of clinics without worrying about cost.

1974 850T
1970 Triumph TR6R
1991 Suzuki VX800
1974 Yamaha TA125
Gone:
1959 Piper Comanche 250
1974 Laverda 750 SF2
1971 Honda CB500/4 pre-K
Blitztour
New Goose

My last Red Motorcycle

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2012, 09:42:12 PM »
ReplyReply

I see another pattern emerging.

A lot of the people who submitted stories, woke up in a ambulance or hospital room and didn't do much waltzing at all Grin

None the less, if you're suggesting it may be time to examine some degree of Socialized Medicine in the USA, I'm with ya!

Alfonso

2012 Griso 8V
2008 1200 Sport
2002 Buell M2 L
2005 ZZR 1200

Harper's Moto Guzzi
Harper's Moto Guzzi has your spring service kits ready to go. I know it's cold but don't wait to have your bike ready for next year. http://www.harpermoto.com/main-data-base/spring-service-kits.html
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Tropic Powersports
Your Florida connection for Moto Guzzi Motorcycles, Parts and Accessories.
http://www.TropicPowersports.com
Advertise Here