Author Topic: *Thinning the Herd* Four bikes to two.  (Read 66915 times)

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: *Thinking of Thinning the Herd* Four bikes to two.
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2014, 12:10:09 PM »
Thank you for the clarification.

Question.  My '10 V7 cafe classic only came to the states in '10.  Mine only has 760 miles on it.  So, if I got the bike for less than NADA value I got a steal instead of a fair deal?

NADA means nothing on Guzzis.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2014, 12:25:58 PM »
Thank you for the clarification.

Question.  My '10 V7 cafe classic only came to the states in '10.  Mine only has 760 miles on it.  So, if I got the bike for less than NADA value I got a steal instead of a fair deal?

I just looked at NADA for Moto Guzzi 2004.  Funny thing is, I did not see a Nero Corsa listed.   

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2004/Moto-Guzzi

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2014, 12:39:52 PM »
Yeah.  Just the desire to buy a new 2015 something...  Due to job and family I've not riding been riding very much over the past year.  2013 I took a 2,000 mile trip on the Nero Corsa, but probably didn't ride it a few hundered miles, otherwise.  The other bikes in the stable were ridden lightly, as well.  I only rode a few thousand miles total last year.  Same for 2014.  Lunch rides, and a little commuting.  Not nearly enough.  Don't really "need" three bikes, and have been losing the desire to have my own Guzzi Museum in my garage over the past couple years...  

I hear ya, BTDT...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2014, 12:42:51 PM »
NADA means nothing on Guzzis

Chuck,

NADA does have a listing for the Rosso Corsa 2003.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2003/Moto-Guzzi/V11-LEMANS-ROSSO-CORSA-1064cc/Values

Low Retail $3400   Average Retail $4475.

Tell you what, I'll be generous and give you $4500 for it.

What do you say?
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2014, 12:42:51 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
I just looked at NADA for Moto Guzzi 2004.  Funny thing is, I did not see a Nero Corsa listed.   

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2004/Moto-Guzzi

Surprise surprise.. ;D Lemme give you the chuckinindianaguide . Any Ohlins V11 variant is worth $6K plus or minus depending on condition.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2014, 12:45:57 PM »
Chuck,

NADA does have a listing for the Rosso Corsa 2003.

http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/2003/Moto-Guzzi/V11-LEMANS-ROSSO-CORSA-1064cc/Values

Low Retail $3400   Average Retail $4475.

Tell you what, I'll be generous and give you $4500 for it.

What do you say?
I say my momma didn't raise no foolish children.  ;D Well...maybe one.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:47:13 PM by Chuck in Indiana »

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #156 on: October 21, 2014, 12:58:37 PM »
Lemme give you the chuckinindianaguide .

Can those be purchased at Barnes & Noble?  ;D
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #157 on: October 21, 2014, 01:01:07 PM »
Just the desire to buy a new 2015 something...  

Any ideas as to what you're going to get? Is there a short list or do you know?
1993 Ducati 900SS

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #158 on: October 21, 2014, 01:48:52 PM »
Any ideas as to what you're going to get? Is there a short list or do you know?

Well, I've narrowed it down.  And, back to my original thought of a couple years ago!

Basically, I have a desire for a light standard for commuting and an ADVbike for touring.  I also have a twinge for something American.  So, I've been conflicted.

-H-D has reissued the Lowrider.  Looks good, but didn't pass the sit test at the dealership when I realized I would need shocks/seat/pegs/handlebars to make it more like I'd want.  It's on the heavy end of bikes I'd want to ride and the cruiser-ish seating and suspension would require more mods than I care to hassle with.  So, I scratched it off my list.  Though it is a nice machine.

-Indian Scout.  Looks good.  Like the company.  Like the engine.  Like the look.  Nice bike.  Unfortunately, it didn't pass the road test.  Needs too much work on the ergos to satisfy me.  Was hoping it would be more standard, but it is not.  And from close inspection, does not appear easy to make it that way.

-Guzzi California 1400.  Really nice bike, but like the two above, too cruiser-ish.  Needs too many changes to ergos, and the short touring range got it marked off my list, again.  Give me a bench seat, standard pegs, and fuel in all the empty space behind the tank side covers, and I'd be more interested.

-Guzzi V7.  I like them.  I owned a 2010 V7C.  To make it an all-around bike for me, it needs more power and better suspension.  I'd gladly pay for it, but like the Bonneville, I don't think it's destined to have an up-spec hot rod version with premium suspension anytime soon.  The "II" is interesting, but without more motor, it won't make the cut.

-Guzzi standard based on the Bellagio chassis.  Man!  There have been some great customs over the past few years, showing what could be done with this platform!  It's got modern rear suspension, could wear the Griso's fork, could wear classic bodywork.  Could be a great all-around standard.  Guzzi could have a homerun on its hands with something like this, but I doubt we'll see it on the podium at EICMA here in the next few weeks.  And, I'm no custom bike builder...

-Guzzi Stelvio NTX.  Just like I drive a Chevrolet Suburban for what it can do when needed, the Stelvio is one heck of a two-wheeled SUV.  Not what I want to ride everyday, so probably wouldn't commute on it, but a Stelvio would fill the bill for most of my weekend and week-long riding.  It's comfortable 2-up, and most of my riding over the past few years has been 2-up.  It has long travel suspension, so rough roads and gravel roads are no problem.  So, if I had to pick a new bike today, it would probably be an NTX.

But, I'm not going to do anything until after the first of the year.  And, if the Nero is still in the garage, I'll spend my Stelvio money on the Nero, instead...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: *Thinning the Herd* Four bikes to two.
« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2014, 02:08:06 PM »
Quite the list of dis-satisfaction  :o  :(

Guess I should feel good that I'm easy to please.  :D

Good luck man...

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »
Quite the list of dis-satisfaction  :o  :(

Guess I should feel good that I'm easy to please.  :D

Good luck man...

Ha!  He asked, and I just happened to have a few minutes to type out my thought process over the past month, or so...

FWIW, I've never been dissatisfied with my spine-frame bikes!  I guess that's why I've had one for 17 years and one for almost 9 years.

Bars, Seats, and Pegs are stock on both.  And 75,000 miles of riding behind them.  They're perfect Guzzis!!! 

I "liked" all of the bikes mentioned.  Just didn't "love" them like I did the bikes I own.  Hard to shell out $12k to $18k on something I don't "love".  It was easy to shell it out for the Guzzis (and the Triumph) I've bought over the years.  Especially the three I currently own.

:BEER:

« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 02:29:09 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline BillinPA

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »

PSSSSSSSSSSSSST --- old thread, he sold the V7 last year....

I got that Kev, seems several in the thread were pushing V7, I was just giving positive reinforcement to his plan. The Nero is the bike on the block now, sweet but the sport is the one he should keep since he bought new etc.  The V7 can easily be replaced if missed, the next few....not so. 

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »
Well, I've narrowed it down.  And, back to my original thought of a couple years ago!

Basically, I have a desire for a light standard for commuting and an ADVbike for touring.  I also have a twinge for something American.  So, I've been conflicted.

-H-D has reissued the Lowrider.  Looks good, but didn't pass the sit test at the dealership when I realized I would need shocks/seat/pegs/handlebars to make it more like I'd want.  It's on the heavy end of bikes I'd want to ride and the cruiser-ish seating and suspension would require more mods than I care to hassle with.  So, I scratched it off my list.  Though it is a nice machine.

How about a stock, basic Super Glide?
Unlike the Lowrider, the 'Glide shouldn't need too many changes and/or $$ to make it into what you want it to be.
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2014, 03:01:05 PM »
Bars, Seats, and Pegs are stock on both.  And 75,000 miles of riding behind them.  They're perfect Guzzis!!! 

Spend the money on the Nero, make it like new, and enjoy it for another 9 years and umpteen miles.   ;-T
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2014, 03:01:49 PM »
I know where you're head's at. I'd like to get something a little more conducive to everyday riding/commuting myself, something that's also a little easier on my wife when we're two up. As the years go by my three lend themselves less and less to daily riding. I just don't want to give any of mine up..... ;D  
1993 Ducati 900SS

andrewdonald1

« Reply #165 on: October 21, 2014, 09:33:42 PM »
At my peak I had 4 bikes about 6 years ago.  Now only 1.

Do the NTX. 

After my quick 2.5K miles over the last month or so since I got it.. it is the truck of motorcycles.
She needs some tweaking for me.. like the seat, I can only do about 1.25 hrs on it. 
But overall.. its a great value.. I see it as anything from gravel roads up... that leaves only needing a small dirt bike to beat on if I desire to go back into single track.   But other than that.. it has it covered. 

In other words.. One bike, low total cost of ownership.. little maintenance vs many bikes etc etc.  You know the drill. 

That's my 2 cents.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #166 on: October 21, 2014, 10:07:51 PM »
Spend the money on the Nero, make it like new, and enjoy it for another 9 years and umpteen miles.   ;-T

yep

(also much cheaper than a newer bike of which none have been identified to be as good as the Nero)
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

biking sailor

« Reply #167 on: October 22, 2014, 07:27:27 AM »
Right now I have 5 bikes in the garage to choose from, since the NTX had a deer strike and I'm waiting on results from inspection (totalled or repairable). 

All 5 of the remaining are very different from each other, but when riding them for distance, commutes, or short 100 mile pleasure rides I always find myself thinking the NTX would do this or that better.  Rarely does it go the other way.  Yes it is heavy but at speed handles whatever is thrown at it (gravel roads on up) very well overall.  And I have never really had any issues with it's manners at parking lot speeds.  Not going to turn like a 250 dirt bike, but as good as any road bike I have now.

I've been through the "new bike shopping" stuff in case the Stelvio is totalled.  The short list of replacements are the Triumph Explorer and Tiger 800 XC, KTM 1190 Adventure, Yamaha Super Tenere, the new Suzuki Vstrom 1000 and Kawasaki Versys 1000 (both yet to be seen).  But when making the spreadsheet of what I want in a bike, the reasons for buying the NTX a year ago keep sending me back to the Stelvio. 

Now I've moved from wishing my Stelvio is totaled to almost hoping it can be repaired back to how it was before the deer strike.  For me it is an all around, do it all bike that is usually my first choice for riding in the morning.  I originally got it as my long distance touring bike.

Mike, good luck on changing out bikes in your stable.  Choices and experiencing different bikes can be a good thing.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2014, 03:16:38 PM »
yep

(also much cheaper than a newer bike of which none have been identified to be as good as the Nero)

I'm with John on this. I had the new bike hots, and got the Norge. Should have kept the Centauro.  ;D I've seen nothing new that I would rather have than what I have, including a new small block vs the Lario. I'm part of the problem, I guess.. ;)
I guess it all depends on whether you want to do the work to make the Nero like new again. It's a *big* project to do that...

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Mile High Guzzi

« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »
What about a Buell Ulysses XB12XT ?  That would sorta straddle your HD/NTX interests, and wouldn't cost as much coin, especially if you change your mind later?

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #170 on: October 22, 2014, 04:04:05 PM »
I guess it all depends on whether you want to do the work to make the Nero like new again. It's a *big* project to do that...

Cosmetically, the bike is very good to excellent.  Clutch would be a big project for me, but not for someone who has done it.

I've been using it for commuting to work, so it's not like it's ready for the scrap yard!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #171 on: October 22, 2014, 04:05:14 PM »
What about a Buell Ulysses XB12XT ?  That would sorta straddle your HD/NTX interests, and wouldn't cost as much coin, especially if you change your mind later?

While I like Erik Buell, and appreciate his bikes, I've not wanted to own one since the tube frame bikes.  So, that's not even on my radar.  Just not my thing.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2014, 06:08:50 PM »
Cosmetically, the bike is very good to excellent.  Clutch would be a big project for me, but not for someone who has done it.

I've been using it for commuting to work, so it's not like it's ready for the scrap yard!

Like I said, I'd be on it like a chicken on a June bug at that price.. if I wanted one. <shrug> If I were you, I'd put it on the bay starting at $3500, accurately describe it, no reserve. You'll find the actual value in a week or so, and I'll bet it's higher than what you will take.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #173 on: October 22, 2014, 06:34:08 PM »
Sounds like the Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Granturismo would fit your bill.
1993 Ducati 900SS

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #174 on: October 22, 2014, 06:45:17 PM »
Sounds like the Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Granturismo would fit your bill.

Nah.  Nice bike, but not my style. 
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

jevincen

« Reply #175 on: October 22, 2014, 06:59:13 PM »
Rocker59,

What windshield did you put on the v7?  It looks nice on it.  Was it effective on the highway:?

Joe

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #176 on: October 22, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »
Rocker59,

What windshield did you put on the v7?  It looks nice on it.  Was it effective on the highway:?

Joe

The previous owner installed it.  Givi A620.  I worked really well, but I didn't like it.  Most of the time the bike was with me, it had no shield installed.  I liked it much better that way.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #177 on: October 22, 2014, 07:18:51 PM »
Nah.  Nice bike, but not my style. 

Something tells me there's a Nero Corsa in your future..... ;D
1993 Ducati 900SS

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #178 on: October 22, 2014, 07:30:22 PM »
Something tells me there's a Nero Corsa in your future..... ;D

LOL!  People are strange.  I have the feeling that if I'd offered it at $0.00, people would be wanting me to deliver it! 

The Ducati is interesting, but I'm not sure I want a 150bhp testastretta engined touring bike with off pavement pretentions.  And, for me, it's farther to a Ducati dealer than it is to a Guzzi dealer.  And I know I'd be taking a testastretta in for dealership maintenance, rather than fumble through it myself.

The Scrambler sure looks like fun, though!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #179 on: October 22, 2014, 07:50:10 PM »
LOL!  People are strange.  I have the feeling that if I'd offered it at $0.00, people would be wanting me to deliver it! 

I hear ya, I experienced the same thing when I was selling my HD FXSTB.

I'm not sold on the Multistrada myself, aesthetically speaking, but everything I've read or heard about it is that if you can only have one motorcycle it IS the ticket. As far as dealer service goes I guess I'm somewhat spoiled having 3 Ducati and 3 Moto Guzzi dealerships (plus two Moto Guzzi independent shops) within 2 hours of me, the closest only being about 30-45 minutes away.
1993 Ducati 900SS

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here