Author Topic: V7 Cafe Seat on the V7 Stone  (Read 18893 times)

Offline Jim Malm

• New Egg
V7 Cafe Seat on the V7 Stone
« on: April 06, 2013, 11:19:22 AM »
In case any of you new V7 Stone owners are considering changing to the Cafe Classic seat, here's how it looks.  Hope I get the photos included first try.

Jim

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 11:31:53 AM by Jim Malm »
1981 Moto Guzzi V50 Monza
1966 BMW R60/2

Penderic

Re: V7 Cafe Seat on the V7 Stone
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 11:38:04 AM »
Looks good with the black bike! Nice. How do you like the different pipes?

I also have a cafe seat for my 09Classic but I find I like the firmer 2 up seat for long rides.

Offline Jim Malm

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »
Thanks, I figured the original seat would be more comfy than the Cafe unit.  I just put the new seat on yesterday so haven't had a chance to do a long ride on it, but I'm guessing that given the more restricted riding position it won't be as good for longer rides as the dual saddle.

I love the sound and performance of the new Mistrals - the bike sounds like a proper Guzzi twin now. I left the dB killers in and the sound is just right - not too loud and not too quiet. I might be getting a little more popping on trailing throttle, but I might not have been able to hear that with the stock silencers. If you could make just one modifcation to the bike, addding less restricted mufflers would be the thing to do IMO.

Jim
1966 BMW R60/2

Penderic

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »
Mistrals are great!  ;-T

My Mistrals popped too until I took off the evap cannister last year and plugged my 09's intake manifold taps - much, much better now - I have to really rev high and chop throttle to make my exhaust pop and then it is a lot quieter - more like a cough cough than the usual loud pop, pop, pop. Idles nicer too.

Your bike looks nice and light  8) - after I see my own loaded up bike with its fairing, guards and bags and gps and grip heaters and and .... but no cup holders yet!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 12:30:15 PM »

Offline Mgv7rider

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 12:44:11 PM »
Jim,
The bike looks great. I was thinking of getting a racer seat myself as I would have an option depending on how I feel or if any of my kids or wife want to come Ira ride. Lane splitter mirrors look great too! I will post some pics sometime next week when I get my v7 stone...I too have changed out the stock exhaust. I went with the lafranconi red tips...I hope I made a good choice....seems like you are happy with your mistrals!

Cheers and enjoy your bike!

Chris
Current rides:
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (matte black)
1980 Vespa P200e

Past rides:
2004 Yamaha YZF 600R (sold)
1996 Yamaha vStar 650 (sold)

Offline CND

• Gosling
  • Love the Sun
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 04:48:56 PM »

I love the sound and performance of the new Mistrals - the bike sounds like a proper Guzzi twin now. I left the dB killers in and the sound is just right - not too loud and not too quiet. I might be getting a little more popping on trailing throttle, but I might not have been able to hear that with the stock silencers. If you could make just one modifcation to the bike, addding less restricted mufflers would be the thing to do IMO.

Jim

I agree. Your bike looks very similar to mine (Dart & Mistrals).

Did you get the Mistral crossover too? I didn't but am debating purchasing one.  I left the db killers out on mine.

http://www.mgcycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=2575&osCsid=d124b9261956ee327619cb1a934963eb

Wondering if there is a noticeable difference?

I also just added the clear turn signal lenses with the amber bulbs. I really like the results.

http://www.af1racing.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=38752

In the process of upgrading the rear shocks to Ikons. Have had some "issues" with the new shocks that are hopefully getting resolved soon.

Any ideas/desire to upgrade the front suspension? Seems to be room for improvement there too.

What a wonderful bike! I have about 2600 miles on it so far. Really breaking in nicely! Seems smoother with every ride. I smile just thinking about it  ;D
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2013 Ducati StreetFighter 848
2008 Vespa LX150
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (traded)

Offline Jim Malm

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 02:47:08 AM »
Hi, CND-

I have not replaced the crossover and probably won't since I'm pretty satisfied with the current sound. I do need to pull out the dB killers yet to see how it sounds and affects the operation of the bike.  Did you remove the evaporative canister on your bike?

I just turned over 650 miles on my bike and don't yet have any issues with or plans to change the suspension either front or rear.

I recently read an article from Moto International ( http://motointernational.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/unveiling-the-mystery-behind-first-service-and-engine-break-in-for-the-moto-guzzi-v7/ ) that discusses the initial service and break-in process for the V7 that says that optimal performance isn't achieved until after 1250 miles are on the bike.  What other changes besides getting smoother have you noticed as you logged miles bike on your bike?

I completely agree with you on having very warm feelings for this bike - it just makes you want to ride it!

Jim
1966 BMW R60/2

Offline CND

• Gosling
  • Love the Sun
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 04:03:05 PM »
I have not removed the evaporative canister.  Keeping it as is for now.

I have noticed the bike seems to be loosening up. The shifting issues seem to be fewer and far between. Could be I am learning the bikes tendencies too.

I use the bike primarily as a commuter to work and back. 90% or more on the 5 freeway. After the 4/15 deadline I hope to spend some more time on fun/pleasure trips.

I have also notice the bike's oil level has remained consistent. Not needed to add or top off.
2014 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring
2013 Ducati StreetFighter 848
2008 Vespa LX150
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (traded)

BostonGuzzi

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2014, 03:07:31 PM »
Hi Jim,

Phil from Boston here. I found the MG OEM V7 Racer seat on the AF1 website, however, it looks like you have an all-black, all-leather cafe seat on your V7...where did you find that?

I'd prefer to have the all-leather and all-black such as yours vs. the Racer seat with suede top, leather and red stitching.

Thanks!

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2014, 03:44:12 PM »
The seat pictured in the first post is the old Cafe seat.  It's not as easy to find anymore.  Everyone once in a while AF1 does throw one up for sale though.  I think we have one lying around our East side shop as well.  I have one for my Black Stone and love it.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2014, 07:50:23 AM »
Hi Jim,

Phil from Boston here. I found the MG OEM V7 Racer seat on the AF1 website, however, it looks like you have an all-black, all-leather cafe seat on your V7...where did you find that?

I'd prefer to have the all-leather and all-black such as yours vs. the Racer seat with suede top, leather and red stitching.

Thanks!

Phil,

I'm a V7 rider from Boston too, so I thought I'd give you a shout. 

Some people say the cafe seat, old ones, are more comfortable. 

Joe
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 08:14:25 AM »
I've also got a Café seat that I bought second hand from someone on this board when he sold his V7.

I LIKE IT much better than my stock Stone seat.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 09:11:11 AM »
I'm interested in picking up a Cafe seat if anyone has one lying around.

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 03:11:09 AM »
With the stock bars & footpegs, I found the cafe seat to be much more comfortable, especially for long distance. In my current set up with rear sets & drop bars, it doesn't seem to make as much difference.

Mal
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Vasco DG

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 03:51:53 AM »
I've also got a Café seat that I bought second hand from someone on this board when he sold his V7.

Better watch it Kev, someone will soon tell you you can't tour on a V7 or you're a 'Poser'  because you've got it bagged up, (I personally think it looks great bagged up.) and where is the exhaust wrap and faux 1980's shit? Next thing you'll be telling us that you don't spend most of your disposable income on Zippo lighter fluid and grooming products! Tsk, Tsk!!!  ~;

Pete

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2014, 04:18:03 AM »
Ha ha, if you remember, I'm probably at least partially responsible for the often misused "can't tour" statements on this board because of an old discussion where I took the point (and stand by it) that the V7 is not a "touring bike" by industry semantics.

I.e. the term applies to a specific segment of bikes in the market of which the V7 couldn't be further removed.

I never argued that one couldn't or shouldn't tour on one. But the discussion was misperceived and distorted info that.

I too love the bagged look of this bike, even moreso with the cafe seat since that does probably give some purists fits.

Ironically though, I've always liked the look of pipe wrap because I dislike chrome and pipe blueing. I would probably have these pipes jet coated if it weren't both lazy and, at times, cheap.

I seem to have this need for functional excuses when doing cosmetic upgrades.

It's obviously some minor mental pathology.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Vasco DG

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2014, 04:38:55 AM »
*MINOR!* OK, if we just forget about that incident with the goldfish, the hypodermic and the tube of toothpaste!

Why was it you had to move to New Jersey again? :BEER:

Pete

(And don't try and give me that crap about the goldfish consenting!)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 04:40:36 AM by Vasco DG »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 06:00:04 AM »
Why?  ... $$$$ that is all, goldfish aside.

No wait, that and to get away from my in-laws.  ;D
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Feliz

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2014, 02:58:25 PM »
I've been searching everywhere for a Cafe seat, I'd REALLY like one if anyone cares to part with one they don't want/need. I'm in Canada and more than happy to pay shipping. I can even supply you with a U.S. shipping address if that's easier. Thanks.

Offline Mgv7rider

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2014, 09:40:17 PM »

Looks good Kev! That's next on my list! I Haven't been on the forum much this past riding season as work and family life has been really busy! I've got a lot of catching up to do! Hope all is well!

Cheers,

Chris
Current rides:
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone (matte black)
1980 Vespa P200e

Past rides:
2004 Yamaha YZF 600R (sold)
1996 Yamaha vStar 650 (sold)

Scoops

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2015, 08:57:33 AM »

Looks great, thanks for posting. I have recently bought a satin black Stone, and am looking at a cafe seat. I think i'll get a tail tidy fitted first before switching.

I noticed AF1 have the seat with red stitching at $104, which is much cheaper than i can get in the UK. Only problem is its $70 to ship, and i'll probably get hit with import & purchase tax at customs..... :(

I've just picked up some bar end mirrors, and replacement brackets to delete the standard mirror mounts. I'll post a pic when they are on

Frulk

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2015, 09:47:57 PM »
Jim, any chance you can post a close-up pic of your ball mount on the left side of the handle bar?...maybe by itself and whatever you mount on it?  I'm looking for a ball mount setup for my V7R to put a Galaxi S4 on. Is it a RAM mount?

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2015, 09:53:14 PM »
Jim, any chance you can post a close-up pic of your ball mount on the left side of the handle bar?...maybe by itself and whatever you mount on it?  I'm looking for a ball mount setup for my V7R to put a Galaxi S4 on. Is it a RAM mount?
Looks like the RAM mount ball that mounts into the mirror that was removed. For 2+ mounts required (GPS and Phone), I prefer the clutch mount version: https://www.expressmounts.com/ram-mount-motorcycle-handle-base-with-dual-1-inch-ball.html
Ken
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 09:55:07 PM by Moto Fugazzi »
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 03:49:09 AM »
http://www.garagemotoguzzi.com/en/
Just chose the seat you like....
I will get the 3/4 long narrow one for my Stone.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

Offline mickr69

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 05:46:51 AM »
http://www.garagemotoguzzi.com/en/
Just chose the seat you like....
I will get the 3/4 long narrow one for my Stone.

Is there a price list yet for the new accessories on the website?

Offline fossil

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 08:03:11 AM »
I have never seen any price lists online at Moto Guzzi. I will ask my dealer (as soon as he has opened again after his winter holidays). Of course he will not be able to give prices for different countries but we can see whether the prices will be reasonable in any way.
Greetings from Germany!
Thorsten

BostonGuzzi

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2015, 12:40:25 PM »
Joe,

Nice to meet you and happy to see other V7 riders here in Boston.

I am specifically in Medford, MA. This snow is killing me!

Think I found a spot to get the all leather cafe seat....

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2015, 01:32:20 PM »
I have never seen any price lists online at Moto Guzzi. I will ask my dealer (as soon as he has opened again after his winter holidays). Of course he will not be able to give prices for different countries but we can see whether the prices will be reasonable in any way.

It looks like the US market pricing and availability may be released for this items this spring.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2015, 03:57:51 PM »
Joe,

Nice to meet you and happy to see other V7 riders here in Boston.

I am specifically in Medford, MA. This snow is killing me!

Think I found a spot to get the all leather cafe seat....

Bostonguzzi,

Are you talking to me?

Joe in Mass. (who has a V7)
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2015, 04:01:50 PM »
Love it Jim!  Hey... You didn't teach music history did you?
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here