Author Topic: Michelin Pilot 4 Road Tires  (Read 11391 times)

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
Michelin Pilot 4 Road Tires
« on: June 10, 2014, 08:03:25 PM »
I recently installed Michelin Pilot 4 Road tires on my Norge. In hindsight I probably should have installed the GT versions (stiffer carcass) but I never ride 2-up and I seldom pack a lot of luggage so the standard Road tires are probably ok for me.

These tires replaced Pirelli Angels that came on the bike. The Michelins handle much better in the corners, and they provide a much softer ride than the Pirelli's.

I don't own any stocks in either company! Just my humble opinion.

I would be curious to hear from others on the forum as to what they have experienced with these tires.
2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Michelin Pilot 4 Road Tires
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 05:55:10 AM »
I'm about to order a new rear, for the 98 EV, the Metzler on at the moment is correct size but it rubs on the driveshaft tube (barely)
The pilot 4 doesn't seem to be available in 140/80 17", so I'm looking at a Pilot 3 or this one.
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/michelin-anakee-3-rear-tire.html How does that price look?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 06:00:36 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 07:49:51 AM »
Roy,

I'm on my second set of Anakee 3's on my Stelvio.  They hum a bit on the road but I use ear plugs so it is not a problem for me.  I got 10K miles on the first set, which was good compared to about 7.5K miles on the OEM Pirelli's.

Ride safe.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 08:32:40 AM »
Thanks ChuckH, I will bear that in mind, I can't stand earplugs.

Did we meet in Ourway, Colorado?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:31:22 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 08:32:40 AM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 01:00:57 PM »
Thanks ChuckH, I will bear that in mind, I can't stand earplugs.

Did we meet in Ourway, Colorado?

You're bound to have, you were camped about 50 feet from each other!!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

LongRanger

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 01:18:52 PM »
I always wonder if the favorable impression of trying a new tire brand/model/size is more a reflection of replacing a worn, squared-off tire with fresh rubber than an actual improvement in the tire. I don't doubt for a moment the PR4's are great tires, but coming off worn Pirelli's/Avon's/Metzeler's/Dunlop's/Shinko's, shouldn't they be?

Offline Tony/CT

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 02:59:40 PM »
Kiwi..I just had a Michelin Pilot Active put on the Vintage rim Monday. It is 140/80/17, bias ply. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 03:41:40 PM »
I always wonder if the favorable impression of trying a new tire brand/model/size is more a reflection of replacing a worn, squared-off tire with fresh rubber than an actual improvement in the tire. I don't doubt for a moment the PR4's are great tires, but coming off worn Pirelli's/Avon's/Metzeler's/Dunlop's/Shinko's, shouldn't they be?

Same for batteries.

Often we heard [fill your brand here] battery gave a strong crank comparing with the dying one.
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 08:40:07 PM »
PR3 has been an excellent tire on my 1200 Sport.  Now on my 3rd set.  As I understand, the 3's are no more, so I'll be switching to PR4 at the next tire change.

Bob
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline sono

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 03:58:19 PM »
Just installed a set yesterday on my 1200 Sport as my Metzler M3's were getting worn... never liked those anyway. The PR4's seem to have a better profile and turn in felt really nice. Obviously didn't push it really hard, but they felt more connected on the back roads on the long way home. I'll test them more tomorrow on my ride up to Hurricane Ridge and out past Neah Bay from Seattle. I don't think I'll be disappointed at all.
2007 Griso 1100
2000 Honda CB-1
1988 Honda Hawk NT650GT

Denis99

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 11:09:20 AM »
Just had a pair of Michelin Road Pilot 3's fitted to my 2001 Triumph Trophy 1200, which is in the same vein as the Norge( I used to own a Norge).

Really good tyres, feels like a softer ride, corners better and has a much rounder profile.

When the tyres on my V11 wear down I will be fitting the Pilot 3 Or 4 tyres.

Probably the best tyre (for me).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:31:32 PM by Denis99 »

canuguzzi

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »
After the treatment from the Michelin Man on a warranty claim I'll never buy tires from that company so long as I live and it wouldn't matter if the only other choice was wood. Not some lower model tires mind you but for a vehicle where the tires are about $600 each and they were top of the line. They refused to start the warranty from the date of purchase but rather considered the manufacture date as the start, this on tires put on the vehicle as OEM equipment. It wasn't that the problem was not a warranty issue, it was the date since the vehicle was sold about 9 months after it was made, tires were the first thing to go on in the manufacturing process.

Sorry but when I as the customer buy a brand new vehicle, the warranties start the day I buy it, not when some contributing supplier made whatever it is they made.

Not one penny to Michelin.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 01:48:55 PM »
Sounds like you were buying tires for a class 8 truck. I used to run nothing but Michelins, but having sold out of trucking, I now run Shinkos on my bikes.  If I can find them for cars and trucks I'd go to them, but I can't.  Yokohoma sold only the motorcycle tire part off to Shinko. AFAIK. Sorry you had to deal with that BS from Michelin.  I understand why you fell the way you do.  Can't say as I blame you.
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline mudskipper

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2014, 09:58:43 AM »
Thanks, Roofus, for starting this thread. I'm curious too - at least about  what the difference is between PR3s and PR4s, and then the difference between  PR4 Std Road vs GT. You mentioned stiffer carcass on the GT which certainly works on full load which I occasionally run, and on rare occasions two-up. Given this, would the Standard Road be more comfortable?

I've been on PR3s for the last 20 months (21,000+km - Singapore's  hot but slick smooth tarmac). I ride a Breva v1100. There's still a lot of life in it thread-wise, but I will change every 24mths. The heat here vulcanises everything rubber and plastic!

I haven't checked, but I assume the price difference would not be too great, if PR4s are replacements for PR3.  Would the GT be overkill in stiffness for single riders?

Cheers!

it's the journey I crave
& the guzzi makes it all sweeter

'06 Breva v1100ie

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 03:57:20 PM »
I have Pilot Road 2's on my SV and like them very much.  I got them when the Road 3's first came out, so I got a good deal on them.  When they wear out I intend to replace them with the Road 4's (or whatever the equivalent Michelin tire is at that time).  I should note that prior to the PR2's, I had Pirelli Angels on the SV.  I like the Michelins, better.

You might still find some Road 3's around, and if they are not too old, they would be a good tire at what is likely to be a good price.  However, with a Tonti-framed bike I would not use the Pilot Roads, or any radial tires.  The bike was designed with bias-ply tires in mind, so that is what I would stick with.  I recently put Michelin Pilot Activ tires on my EV, and after a 3,200 mile road trip, I can say that they are very good and much better than the Metzeler tires that they replaced.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 04:31:01 PM by youcanrunnaked »
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

Offline sono

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
Wow, lots if thread jacking going on. This was a PR4 review, not for any other brand, model or rant. There, I said it.

So I did about 350 miles yesterday on my brand new PR4's on my 1200 Sport and I have to say that I like them a lot. I ran up to Hurricane Ridge (look it up) and then out to Point Flattery, the most Northwestern point in the continental US. I hit a few spots of rain and wet roads and the tires performed perfectly. There's always a moment on new tires that puts a knot in your belly, but I never got it with these. The turn in is great and the grip the outside of the tires produce confidence in spirited curves. I liken the feel to Pilot Power's which I run on my Hawk GT. I had a great ride and inspected the tires when I got home. I was surprised that I still had new tire nubs on the middle and outsides of both front and rear tires - they still looked new. I did ride harder and faster than I should have on new tires, so I would expect the 10K+ miles that I've read on other sites with reviews of these.

The one thing that I'm not in love with is the tread pattern. It looks funky with the multitude of narrow channels and holes everywhere. I just think engineers are much smarter than me and all tires just look black in motion - I'm just glad that that motion keeps me off the pavement. So far so good.
2007 Griso 1100
2000 Honda CB-1
1988 Honda Hawk NT650GT

Offline jreagan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2014, 10:41:50 AM »
From a recent article I read, the standard front and GT fronts are identical.  It is only the rear GT that has different composition.

I still have a set of PR2s on my B1100.  I'm nearing the end on the rear and will probably just go with the standard.
"Loud Valves Save Lives"

2004 Triumph Bonneville T100
2006 Breva 1100 (red)
Nicholasville KY USA

Offline roofus

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I must remember to cancel my turn signal!"
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 05:38:02 PM »
From a recent article I read, the standard front and GT fronts are identical.  It is only the rear GT that has different composition.

I still have a set of PR2s on my B1100.  I'm nearing the end on the rear and will probably just go with the standard.

That's useful to know. I was unaware that the front tires were identical.
2010 V7 Cafe, 2013 V7 Special, 2013 Norton Commando 961SF, 2016 BMW R1200GS

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 05:57:17 PM »
" Sorry but when I as the customer buy a brand new vehicle, the warranties start the day I buy it, not when some contributing supplier made whatever it is they made."

In my day job one of the things I do is look at our customer's terms and conditions - you know, those long boilerplate documents both companies have saying " No matter what your document says, ours takes precedence ".

One I looked at today stated that whenever product is returned for repairs under warranty the warranty clock stops until the product is returned, and then it restarts.

(loud static sound, echoing electronic voice) " Please reset the game clock to..."
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 06:15:54 PM »
I've used PR-1-2-3 on my Suzuki Bandit.  I put PR3 on my V11 Sport and wasn't impressed with mileage I got on the rear.  I replaced it with a Pirelli Angel GT, still running the PR3 on the front.  Handles good.  Have not done many miles on my Bandit since I got the Sport so can't give a report on that one but the Bandit has a lot more power. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Blueboarhound

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 08:07:21 PM »
I put Michelin Pilot Road 2's on my 900SS last year (same as the 3's but without the rain sipes) and was very pleased with the performance. I wasn't really worried about the rain sipes so I had intended on putting 2's on the Daytona this year but the discontinued them in the 18" rear so I'll be going with the 3's or 4's.
1993 Ducati 900SS
1993 Moto Guzzi Daytona 1000
1996 Moto Guzzi Sport 1100
2012 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Offline wittangamo

• Gaggle Hero
Michelin Pilot 4 Road Tires
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 08:58:40 AM »
The Dunlops that came with my '12 Griso failed inspection after less than 6,500 miles. I replaced them with Michelin PR3s.

Today I'm replacing those with PR4s. Here's what the PR3s look like at 17,000 miles.

About half the 10,500 miles I put on the PR3s was touring solo. The rest was moderate back road exploration.

The front still had tread, the back was getting thin in the middle. Handling dry was as good as the OEM RoadSmarts, wet was noticeably better.

Deceive, Inveigle and Obfuscate

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 09:40:49 AM »
The Dunlops that came with my '12 Griso failed inspection after less than 6,500 miles. I replaced them with Michelin PR3s.

Today I'm replacing those with PR4s. Here's what the PR3s look like at 17,000 miles.

About half the 10,500 miles I put on the PR3s was touring solo. The rest was moderate back road exploration.

The front still had tread, the back was getting thin in the middle. Handling dry was as good as the OEM RoadSmarts, wet was noticeably better.

That's some pretty astonishing mileage for a powerful bike and that sort of tire.

I could get 18,000 out of a Dunlop 404 rear on my 1000SP, but I have the PR3s on my Stelvio, and my tires look the same as yours with 7000 on the rear and 13000 on the front.

I'll probably stick with the Pilot Road series ... I'm happy with the wet and dry handling and the mileage is pretty good.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 12:49:58 PM »
That rear PR3 looked just like the one on my Sport after about 6k miles.   I rode to the Spineframe Rally and the ride back from Nashville to home (OKC) on I-40 killed it.  I was expecting more mileage but I've never gotten as much as 10k off a rear radial on my Bandit or Sport.  I still have the complete set on the Bandit and the front on the Sport.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline mudskipper

• New Egg
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2016, 11:00:37 AM »
Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT

G'day Guzzisti, I  upgraded to the Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT (PR4GT) from my Pilot Road 4 standard mid-Dec 2015; Road tires for the sport touring category.

I was wondering if the GT would make a difference to the infamous soft ride of the BV1100. Here's my review of it. I've just clocked 6000km (approx 3700 miles) on my PR4GTs over the last 2 months.

OPERATING CONDITIONS
The terrain that the PR4GTs had to deal with were:
- roads under construction,
- highland mud and gravel paths,
- smooth high grade highway,
- start/stop heavy traffic and
- Long haul 600-900km/day on tropical heat and colder rainy nights.
- Tropical weather conditions: lows: mid 20degC to mid 30degC, around 95-100% humidity. 
- Hot days with torrential tropical storms.
- The 220kg bike was carrying me (83kg), 2 full 36ltr panniers 10kg contents each, top box 3kg contents, Tank bag, and 5kg of heavy security chain on the passenger seat.

PERFOMANCE
The PR4GT surpassed my expectations. It gripped corners on both rough and smooth tarmac well. I didn't scrape my pegs in corners but I was certainly enjoying the highland curvey roads around Thailand's southern National Parks. It instilled confidence.

I can now answer my own question to Roofus earlier on in this thread. The GT certainly has firmer walls and it made a significant to my ever-so-soft stock suspensions. With a full load panniers, top box and tank bag, camping equipment and a bloody formidable 5kg anti-theft chain for cross-border security.

Aside from the suspension setup, tires play a critical role in ride stability and comfort ( other than traction). I no longer struggle with sensitivities to suspension setup because of tire softness when cornering. I've setup my B11 for my weight (83kg), panniers and some light load. I ride everyday and clock about 20,000km/year.

Wet road holding was confidence inspiring. The PR4GTs handled tropical storms throughout the tour with mountain roads, loose gravel and mud on tarmac due to wash off the slopes. It took on the bends true without any harrowing experiences.

I had PR3 and PR4 for the last two years. Clocked 20,000km for the PR4 last year (Singapore Roads are considered silky smooth IMHO). I tour up to Malaysia a couple of times a year and Thailand once a year. For these PR4GT, having clocked 5,000km in its first month. I really trust the PR4s more than before. It serves about 90% of my purpose. The only shortcoming it has for me is what it was not made for - rural off the tarmac riding. The treads naturally don't work as well for  muddy track conditions. Although I shouldn't be complaining about that. It's just something I need to live with for a remarkable tire like this. For that, I'll probably try a pair of Metzeler Tourance Next to find out how they compare for the things I want to do with them.

I'll give it 4.5 stars - a great Road Touring tire, IMHO.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:15:26 AM by mudskipper »
it's the journey I crave

'06 Breva v1100ie

Offline Stevex

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2016, 01:14:49 PM »
I've had PR4s fitted to my Honda CB1300S for about a year now after 2 sets of RoadSmarts.
I find the Michelins very confidence inspiring.
I talked to Michelin via email about their GT version; it is for very heavy bikes like the Kawasaki GTR1400.
Apparently if it's not recommended for your bike and you fit it, it'll upset your handling because the sidewalls will be too stiff.
They didn't recommend it even for my CB13, and that's no lightweight!
I'm also going to get a pair fitted to the wife's Monster 695 this Spring.
Pity there's no size options to fit a pair of radials to my LM2, I'm sure they would make a difference to the current x-plys.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:17:11 PM by Stevex »

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2016, 04:26:00 PM »
Yeah I reckon Pilo4's are great, as were the 3's etc...the way I see it if you can get the sort of k's out of a set that we seem to be able to, I can't see why you'd try something else for $500 AUD a set.My numbers aren't as impressive as some ,but I ditch mine at around 15,000 k and they're not totally gone even then.

Offline mudskipper

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2016, 08:05:40 AM »
Thanks for the info, Steve. Unfortunately, we don't have people who can give good advice for tires like that in Singapore. The distributors aren't riders themselves. Michelin doesn't show it on the website.  :sad:

I know what you mean by stiffness. Let me see how it pans out for now. I'm enjoying the less than cushy (fluffy?!!?) ride that I've been having for the last two years. The sidewalls might soften up to meet the sweet spot. It worked well when I was fully loaded though. I'll see how it works for the next couple of thousand kms.

Huzo, I reckon you're doing very well with 15,000km for Australian roads! IMHO, Aussie roads (generally throughout the whole continent) compared to Singapore roads is like 100 grade sandpaper to 600 grade sandpaper. In Singapore, we've a harrowing mirror finish in the rain especially at night and we can't see the road dividers easily! Sometimes you can't tell if it's streetlamp or reflection in the distance! An in-between roughness would be perfect!  :wink:
it's the journey I crave

'06 Breva v1100ie

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2016, 08:27:44 AM »
I'm about to order a new rear, for the 98 EV, the Metzler on at the moment is correct size but it rubs on the driveshaft tube (barely)
The pilot 4 doesn't seem to be available in 140/80 17", so I'm looking at a Pilot 3 or this one.
http://www.canadasmotorcycle.ca/michelin-anakee-3-rear-tire.html How does that price look?

Roy, unless you're just wanting to run radials, try the Michelin Pilot Activ on your California.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Mike Tashjian

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2016, 09:09:15 AM »
I just got a PR4 GT for the 1150RT and I did not see anything to dissuade me from buying it until now.  I do ride two up 90% of the time on that bike but, it is not a real heavyweight by any means.  The pilot? that was on it had worn quite a bit off the sides leaving a center that appeared like an under inflated tire.  Definitely a two compound tire as you see where they kind of blended.  I was getting some whining whenever the bike leaned as tire was not wearing smoothly at the transition between the two compounds.  As I read, the PR4 GT is harder on both the center and sides from the 3 which is what I was aiming for.  Hoping, now this new tire will not be too stiff.  Sucks to have at least another month of Winter before I can test it.  Mike

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here