Author Topic: 2015 Indian Scout merged threadfest  (Read 102448 times)

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 2015 Indian Scout merged threadfest
« Reply #180 on: August 22, 2014, 07:05:08 PM »
and you and I and most of this board are the real 1%'ers.

<Puffing out chest> Sniff.. yeah.. we bad.  ;D :BEER:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #181 on: August 22, 2014, 07:12:51 PM »
<Puffing out chest> Sniff.. yeah.. we bad.  ;D :BEER:

I always dreamed of being a 1%er, and now I are one ...  Had to finagle the numbers a bit though.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2014, 09:44:48 AM »
I always dreamed of being a 1%er, and now I are one ...  Had to finagle the numbers a bit though.

Lannis

Aw, Lannis! Give yourself some credit. I'm sure that without much twistination or tweaking, one came up with you being 1% of..... somethin'.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Penderic

« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »
Whats next?

A Papoose!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2014, 10:45:01 AM »

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2014, 07:35:38 PM »
Tomorrow, the Demo Truck is going to be in Manchester, New Hampshire at the Indian dealership. I'm going up with the express purpose of taking a Scout out for a ride. If I'm in the right frame of mind, I might take out one of the Big bikes as well (Roadmaster, Chief, whatever it's called). I have no interest in getting one of the big bikes, even though I think the 111 engine is a work of art. I have never liked the skirted fenders that damn near everybody else thinks are pretty, and I think the whole bike is just too freakin' big. I will take one out for a demo ride though. It might just surprise me. The Scout has caught my eye, though. It could be a Contender for a future purchase. I'll report back; probably tomorrow evening.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #185 on: September 11, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »
Tomorrow, the Demo Truck is going to be in Manchester, New Hampshire at the Indian dealership. I'm going up with the express purpose of taking a Scout out for a ride. If I'm in the right frame of mind, I might take out one of the Big bikes as well (Roadmaster, Chief, whatever it's called). I have no interest in getting one of the big bikes, even though I think the 111 engine is a work of art. I have never liked the skirted fenders that damn near everybody else thinks are pretty, and I think the whole bike is just too freakin' big. I will take one out for a demo ride though. It might just surprise me. The Scout has caught my eye, though. It could be a Contender for a future purchase. I'll report back; probably tomorrow evening.

Looking forward to the report!!!
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #186 on: September 11, 2014, 10:09:48 PM »
I too will be testing a Scout in a few weeks, I am quite interested.

My wife liked the Chiefs so she took two of them out for a ride-then made me try them. Nice bikes, though I think the Chieftain with the sharper rake is a bit of a mistake.

Me, I'm starting to look for a "one bike" solution. The Sport is great, when I can ride it fast, but not a "fun ride to enjoy the weather" sort of bike. The EV does that.

So I'll give the Scout a try in Westfield, which is an awesome place with a large collection of original Indians from the owner's grandfather-and great salespeople.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2014, 09:22:51 AM »
Some day I'd like to  (or will be forced to) get down to one bike. Thought that would be the XR650L. When I got the CB1100 I was thinking that would be the last bike. Now that I have a butt friendly Russell Day Long and a MRA the Griso is in the catbird seat - yank the fairing, put on the stock seat and I have a completely different bike but still have that wonderful motor.

I want to like the new Scout, but I fear the ergo's will be against it for me.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2014, 10:04:49 AM »
Some day I'd like to  (or will be forced to) get down to one bike. Thought that would be the XR650L. When I got the CB1100 I was thinking that would be the last bike. Now that I have a butt friendly Russell Day Long and a MRA the Griso is in the catbird seat - yank the fairing, put on the stock seat and I have a completely different bike but still have that wonderful motor.

I want to like the new Scout, but I fear the ergo's will be against it for me.

Do you have a photo of the Griso with the Russell Day Long?  Does it work at all visually?   It works on the Stelvio because the Stelvio is all craggy and ugly anyway.

The Russell Day Long is the best thing that ever happened to bike ergos and my "primary bike" is going to have one, always.   Some day I may get down to one-bike like you guys are talking, and it might not be a Stelvio, who knows .. ?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline menzies

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2014, 10:37:27 AM »
I went up to Murfreesboro, Tn a few days to visit Sloan's Motorsports, one of the salesmen told me all the Indian Scouts they will be getting are pre-sold and they could sell quite a few more if they could come up with them. I have found them to be very friendly and helpful dealer, as most of you know they are a multi line dealer that sell Moto Guzzi.
2001 Triumph Bonneville
2007 Triumph Bonneville
2006 Triumph Scrambler
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2014, 08:02:34 PM »
I went up to Manchester, NH today specifically to take a Demo ride on a Scout. I got to Indian of Manchester a little after 2:00 and went over to the sign up table. They were going out in groups, and the next group(#6) had all the Scouts booked, so I booked a Scout for the ride after that (#7). Since I had to wait anyway, I booked a ride on on a Chieftain in group 6.
The Chieftain turned out to be a surprise. It wasn't nearly the awkward tank I expected it to be. It had boatloads of torque from about 1 RPM right on up. The transmission shifted smoothly, and the general handling wasn't bad.  Make no mistake; it is a big bike; it just doesn't feel as big as it is. The 111 Engine is one of the prettiest engines being manufactured today, and it makes good power according to the seat of my pants. I still don't like the skirted fenders, but I'm more favorably disposed toward the bike after the ride.
After the ride on the Chieftain, I took a Scout out, and what a difference. The Scout is low, relatively nimble makes good power, and is very capable of generating a lot of revenue for the local LEOs. It invites hooliganism. It handles well enough on city streets and Interstate, though I'd like to ride one without a group around me preferably on a twisty mountain road, to form a better opinion. The engine doesn't make the locomotive torque down low that the 111 does, but get it wound up a bit and it flat screws right along. On the Interstate portion of the ride, we were only hitting 60 MPH or so, and both bikes were happy in fourth gear, but pulled fifth and sixth smoothly.  A lot of people think that the shock angle is too far from vertical, but other than wanting to crank up a bit of preload (the bike wasn't set up for  a robust Guzzi afficionado), I found the rear suspension to work well. I also had no complaints about the front suspension. The brakes worked well, as did the shifter.
I probably won't get one though, in spite of all its good points. The forward controls and bucket seat would have me feeling uncomfortable in a short time, and I don't think I would want to even consider trying to cover 800 miles in a day. The fit and finish is very good on everything I noticed about the bikes. The Scout is offered in four colors, Indian Red, Gloss Black, Flat Black and a Flat Grey/Silver. There were no Flat Black bikes available. I rode a flat Silver and thought it was the nicest color of the three colors available.
Indian has one hell of a warranty for those who pre-order; 5 years, unlimited mileage on the drivetrain. I think on the whole bike (bumper to bumper, the salesman called it), the warranty is two years, but I might have misheard it; it might only be one year. Anyway, for a bike that retails under $12,000, It's a damned good deal and easily worth the price.
In a couple of weeks (September 22) EBR is going to have their Demo truck in Westfield, MA. I think I'll  ride the Norge over and take out an RX and an SX and see how I like them.   
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #191 on: September 12, 2014, 08:09:07 PM »
Great report! Nothing surprising, but very encouraging.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #192 on: September 12, 2014, 09:25:18 PM »
Great report! Nothing surprising, but very encouraging.
+1
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #193 on: September 12, 2014, 09:49:00 PM »
In a couple of weeks (September 22) EBR is going to have their Demo truck in Westfield, MA. I think I'll  ride the Norge over and take out an RX and an SX and see how I like them.   

White's EBR in Lebanon, PA is having a demo day tomorrow, which is the same day as our local Guzzi ride.     They had a table at the Ephrata breakfast last week.     When I told the one guy at the table I couldn't make it that date, he gave me an open invite to come ride 'em anytime it isn't raining.

I definitely don't need a 185 HP 400lb bike, but, it might be fun to try one.   ~;
2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2014, 12:26:14 PM »
I rode one on Saturday, and came away with mixed feelings. The engine/transmission is really nice. Chassis not too bad, though too low. Too much engine for a beginner/entry-level cruiser. Wrong seating for a 100bhp standard.

The Scout was receiving lots of attention at the demo truck. Only three of the dozen demos were Scouts, so there was a wait to ride one. There were two types of people looking at them: Small women, and younger (under 50) men who rode in on Japanese and European machines. One small woman had to back out of the demo because the forward controls were too far forward for her short legs.

On my ride, the two other Scout riders were men who had Asian standards and had never really ridden cruisers. They both dragged stuff turning at intersections. One said a right peg. The other sounded like the exhaust.

I think this could be a great bike for bringing non-traditional buyers into a cruiser store IF it had a 30-inch seat, the pegs were moved about 18-inches rearward, and if it had a little more ground clearance. I really liked the bike, but the seating is way more cruiser-ish than it looks. The bars have a funny bend, and the pegs are too far forward. They may win some new customers, but there is no way I'd buy one after this demo. It's too bad the bike doesn't have ergos in the neighborhood of a Triumph Bonneville or Guzzi V7 Special.

On the other hand, this bike is going to be a serious competitor for all the lowered Sportsters currently in the Harley lineup. The Scout is better in every way than the Nightster I rode a few years ago, and should really appeal to women and cruiser riders who do not want a Sportster or a Harley. People who prefer the feet-forward seating. However, the frame/engine/driveline will be wasted on these types of riders, so I'm a bit confused as to what Indian's goals are with the Scout.

Scout is more than it has to be to attract the mid-level cruiser buyer. It's not what it needs to be to attract someone looking for a retro standard.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »
Good report, Rocker.

The ergos sound like I was afraid they'd be.

I'm curious how rearward the pegs/controls can be moved with the available foot peg relocation kit.

The demo truck is scheduled to be at Hernley's Indian in Elizabethtown, PA (near Lancaster, PA) Oct 10,11 & 12.

Kev M. and I are going to go check out the new Scout on Friday, Oct 10.

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline tiger_one

• Learning about Guzzi
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Push Mountain
    • justjean
« Reply #196 on: September 29, 2014, 02:19:06 PM »
I'm thinking with all the people complaining of the forward controls and short IS people interested in the bike, maybe they will address in next release.

I have had to lower every bike my SO has owned, and some I could not make work, STR was one even tho I got it 2" lower than stock.  The Scout's seat height is perfect for her 26" IS, but the forward controls will not work, period.  I also wish it was less than 61" wheelbase, but that is asking a little too much I know!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:19:44 PM by tiger_one »
14 KTM 1190 Adv

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #197 on: September 29, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »
Good report, Rocker.

The ergos sound like I was afraid they'd be.

I'm curious how rearward the pegs/controls can be moved with the available foot peg relocation kit.

The demo truck is scheduled to be at Hernley's Indian in Elizabethtown, PA (near Lancaster, PA) Oct 10,11 & 12.

Kev M. and I are going to go check out the new Scout on Friday, Oct 10.

Supposedly, there will be a kit to move the controls back 2-inches.  Not nearly enough for what I'd want, but probably enough for shorter-legged people who like forwards...

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2014, 02:25:11 PM »
I'm thinking with all the people complaining of the forward controls and short IS people interested in the bike, maybe they will address in next release.

I have had to lower every bike my SO has owned, and some I could not make work, STR was one even tho I got it 2" lower than stock.  The Scout's seat height is perfect for her 26" IS, but the forward controls will not work, period.  I also wish it was less than 61" wheelbase, but that is asking a little too much I know!

It is interesting.  Build a bike with a 25-inch seat, target it to shorter riders, and equip it with forwards you'd need a 32-inch inseam to be comfortable on.

I watched the shorter women.  There was the one who couldn't ride the bike, and several who did, but with legs straight out.

I came away from my demo sort of confused.  Maybe it's a result of focus-group-engineering.  Don't know, but it was odd...
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:26:33 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #199 on: September 29, 2014, 02:44:11 PM »
Thought I'd add:

When I arrived at 08:40 for the first demos at 09:00, there were about a dozen people in front of me.  Half of them chose the Scout.

There were three women and three men in line for the Scout.  I made the seventh.  The three women were spouses of cruiser riders.  The three men rode Asian standards and had not even previously ridden a cruiser.  Quite a paradox going on in the Scout line.  Indian has lots of interest in the Scout from non-traditional buyers, but the bike will need to be more standard to pull them in.  The riders lined up in the Chief lines were mostly the typical rally-going cruiser riders, decked out in cuts from CMA, HOG, and various RCs.

There were only three scouts in the demo fleet.  So, while I waited, I rode a Chief Vintage in the first demo ride.  It was a great ride and compares very nicely to a Road King Classic.  Probably a better bike.

Anyway, there was quite a line, and quite a lot of gawkers at the Indian tent.  When we went by the HD tent, on the way out for the demo ride, there was virtually no one there looking, or in line to ride HD demos.  I was surprised.  It was still that way when I went out for my second demo on the Scout.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:45:35 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2014, 03:20:09 PM »
I do find it an odd dichotomy why they would seemingly target smaller stature riders and then make the bike difficult or impossible for them.

I THOUGHT I read that the stock controls were "adjustable" or maybe that's the kit.

I also thought there was a stock position and adjustments allowed it forward or backward from there 2".

IF that's the case, any chance you had a bike (or all their bikes) were set up with the most forward position?
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #201 on: September 29, 2014, 03:40:15 PM »
I do find it an odd dichotomy why they would seemingly target smaller stature riders and then make the bike difficult or impossible for them.

I THOUGHT I read that the stock controls were "adjustable" or maybe that's the kit.

I also thought there was a stock position and adjustments allowed it forward or backward from there 2".

IF that's the case, any chance you had a bike (or all their bikes) were set up with the most forward position?

My understanding is that there are two kits.  One to push the controls out 2-inches.  One to pull them in 2-inches.  From what I understand, all three were in the middle, standard position.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #202 on: September 29, 2014, 06:24:57 PM »
I have a 28" inseam, and I had no trouble reaching the footpegs on my demo ride. However, I really dislike forward controls, so that pretty much kills any interest I might have in buying a Scout.

'07 Norge

Offline Loftness

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #203 on: September 29, 2014, 08:03:21 PM »
I get the interest from 'non-traditional' American riders.  It's a retro yet modern non-bagger, and it's unique.  Many of the customers we get that show interest in the V7s are guys looking for just that, and the Indian has the added tag of being an American bike.

From a personal standpoint I have zero interest in most modern American 'style' bikes, but I find the Scout to be a good looking bike.  I'd test ride it.
Fletch

2013 V7 Stone
1984 V65sp
1986 Vespa T5
1974 BMW R90/6

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #204 on: September 29, 2014, 08:17:56 PM »
I have a 28" inseam, and I had no trouble reaching the footpegs on my demo ride. However, I really dislike forward controls, so that pretty much kills any interest I might have in buying a Scout.

Just for fun, I went to www.cycle-ergo.com to see what the Scout would look like with a 28-inch inseam rider.  This was the result:

"too sort to reach the foot pegs".

Interesting site, if you've never used it...

5'-9" 29-inch inseam:

5'-10" 31-inch inseam:
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:26:58 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #205 on: September 29, 2014, 08:23:57 PM »
Fun site....too bad I couldn't see your photo

I raised the seat 5 inches, pushed the bars 3 in forward and set the pegs back 27 in and 1 3/4 in higher.   :bike
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #206 on: September 29, 2014, 08:40:16 PM »
I moved them a lot more to see where I'd want to be.  

bars down 2" and 4" forward.  seat up 4.25".  Pegs back 24" and up 2".

to get it in this ballpark:

:bike
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:46:17 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #207 on: September 29, 2014, 08:47:02 PM »

So.... about the same ergos as a modern Bonneville  ;)

Dusty

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 08:47:32 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2014, 08:49:12 PM »
these cartoons just show how ridiculous the Scout's ergos are.  Couple that with 100 hp to control (actually 83 rwhp according to Cycle World) and a pie pan for the front brake rotor.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2014, 09:09:42 PM »
This is fun , show us the T100 Mike .

Dusty

T100

to get near the T100: seat up 4", pegs back 17.75" and up 2"
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:10:56 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here