Author Topic: Any prostate cancer survivors out there. Little help  (Read 26678 times)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Any prostate cancer survivors out there. Little help
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 09:32:39 PM »
  I think prostate cancer is genetic.  Some are more predisposed to get it than others.
 Other than taking precautions to not expose yourself to harmful radiation, which can effect genetics, there isn't much
 you can do to avoid it if you are born with those genes.

With most diseases there is a genetic component. But without a doubt diet contributes greatly to prostate cancer  "The Mediterranean diet has proven to lower PCa risk.
Without getting to lengthy to name a few foods that increase risk of PCa  1. high processed lunch meats with nitrates 2. grilled red meats 3. factory farm red meats vs grass fed read meats. 4. milk and cheese consumption and again factory farm vs organic vs hereford and goat milk and cheeses 5. fried foods  6. smoking 7. excessive alcohol
Why I do not drink milk "Turns Out Your "Hormone-Free" Milk Is Full of Sex Hormones"
http://www.motherjones.com/media/2014/04/milk-hormones-cancer-pregnant-cows-estrogen
There is a lot more that what I just listed.

Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 11:29:13 PM »
  Basically I guess you are saying, anything that tastes good causes cancer.
  Does that mean that anything that tastes bland and boring is safe?
  Whee! tofu party ! bean curds oh yea!  But no seasoning allowed.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

dilligaf

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2014, 07:26:32 AM »
Once again I thank all of you for your input. You have given a lot of information to digest. Believe it or not but my primary care physician actually recommended I get input from my friends. Do I die with prostate cancer or of it. What is worst, the cure or the cancer? My riding buddy in Texas was diagnosed in his mid seventies, is 92, and still riding(He still owns a ST1300 but mostly rides a Harley these days. It' an old age thing).

So I'm going to kick back, join my son in law for a three or four week ride to Prince Edward Island, meet my wife in West Virginia, the first weekend in October,  to make Apple Butter at the old farm place and then back down the BRP to the Dragon and over to Barbers for Vintage Days.

The first of November it's Swamp Scooters, not to be missed, and then it's decisions time.

And that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline dothetime

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 11:52:36 AM »
I was 50 when I was diagnosed with PC
Had a radical prostectomy.
If I were 75, when I was diagnosed I would seek out other opinions, the likelihood of you dying of something else sooner than from the pc   are pretty high.
You might get some medical professionals who think you might just want to keep an eye on it for a while. PCA is usually slow growing.
Sek out the best in your area, NOT ALL DOCTORS ARE THE SAME!
Dave
2003  Black & Chrome EVT, Russell Day Long Seat, Outsider, Extended Windshield,Advanced Brake Pedal, Heckler & Koch Bags.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 11:52:36 AM »

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 12:44:06 PM »
  Maybe all men get prostate cancer.  Some sooner than others.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 12:54:54 PM »
  Basically I guess you are saying, anything that tastes good causes cancer.
  Does that mean that anything that tastes bland and boring is safe?
  Whee! tofu party ! bean curds oh yea!  But no seasoning allowed.

No I am not saying that. I eat read meat a couple of times a week. But I eat only grass fed free range beef, bison or venison You fed a cow corn, even for the last 2 weeks of its life and you change the chemical structure of the meat making it unhealthy.   I never fry or grill red meat to ensure I do not produce the chemicals that cause cancer. (You want me to name them). Red meat is either broiled or put a a crock pot. I almost never eat tofu as it is really not that healthy a food. All veggies are fresh and organic to I reduce the chance of consuming chemical pesticides and it tastes better. Lunch meat is fresh. I not eat processed lunch meat that has nitrates in it.  NO canned fruit or veggies. All fresh food all the time. What is it with people the moment the subject comes up about eating healthy everybody thinks tofu and bean curd with no seasoning?  Try looking at the Mediterranean Diet and show me where's the tofu?  Some of the best eating in the world comes from that diet.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 12:56:50 PM »
  Maybe all men get prostate cancer.  Some sooner than others.

Actually that is almost 100% true. Most men die with PCa. But most men do not develop it until later in life.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2014, 01:27:23 PM »
  Hypochondria is the most contagious disease in the world.  You can catch it by hearing about it reading about it.  Even just watching a program on TV
  can expose you to dangerous levels of contamination.  It's most common forms include heart disease, cancer, COPD and impotence.
  Fortunately there are many doctors who will treat these chronic cases.  For a fee of course.
  Home treatment with off the shelf medicines is also common.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
  Hypochondria is the most contagious disease in the world.  You can catch it by hearing about it reading about it.  Even just watching a program on TV
  can expose you to dangerous levels of contamination.  It's most common forms include heart disease, cancer, COPD and impotence.
  Fortunately there are many doctors who will treat these chronic cases.  For a fee of course.
  Home treatment with off the shelf medicines is also common.

Really. Fascinating analysis.  I am not sure of the relevance of your statement especially if you are directing it at what I have said.  So let's not be too cute by a half and say what you mean.
As for me i did not under literally undergo  the maximum dosage of radiation allowed to a human being as well was undergo temporary transformation into a female via 18 months of treatment with high doses of female hormones to treat hypochondria. I did it because i had a huge prostate and it was full of cancer.  Now scientific papers have proven that most men in the 80s have some degree of prostate cancer. That also is not hypochondria. Maybe you think being responsible to one's body and eating healthy foods is some form of hypochondria?   :food :food  I would love you hear you theory.
Red 90 Mille GT

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »
So far, I don't know what I have. PSA has risen to 12. (!) 2 negative biopsies. Changed dick docks.  ;D Did an hour long MRA with a gizmo up my .. oh, I'll spare you the details. Found a "suspicious" looking area. Biopsied that. Negative. <shrug> New doc says <shrug> I say WTF? If medical diagnosis was half as good as WG fixing Guzzis, I'd be happy..  ;)
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2014, 05:57:59 PM »
  I'm not diss ing anyone on this forum.  Just making an observation on Hypos in general.
  My mother was probably the worst hypochondriac I have ever known so some of this is by personal observation.
  Her kitchen cabinet resembled a Pharmacy stock room of prescription drugs, many of which were to counteract the stuff she was taking.
  It eventually killed her.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2014, 07:30:42 PM »
 I'm not diss ing anyone on this forum.

Ya right.  ;)

Just making an observation on Hypos in general.

Just a bid of thread drift I take it?
All of sudden it goes from some people who want very serious information about prostate cancer and diet and to observation on hypochondria and tofu/bean curd.
People are talking about there lives here. It's called cancer and it is serious and should not be put in the category of hypochondria.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 07:49:15 PM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 08, 2014, 08:01:32 PM »
......The first of November it's Swamp Scooters, not to be missed, and then it's decisions time....Matt

Matt,

I'm hoping to be able to discuss this subject with you in LA this coming November.  I've attended that rally before, but, for me, the predicted weather, particularly on the return trip home, is a big factor in my decision to attend or not.  I'm 1000 miles dead north of the rally site and the last time I attended, the return trip was a two-day ride in 40 degree continuous rain conditions.

I will have my annual prostrate exam in mid-October.  My PSA numbers have slowly elevated over the last several years.  Last year's number was 7.4 and the digital exam was still "normal".  My doctor, in addition to info I've read, indicate that slow increases are acceptable as my age goes up.  It's when the curve over time increases more dramatically that I should be concerned.  I guess I'll face that situation when it happens.

Ride safe.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2014, 08:45:35 PM »
Matt,

I'm hoping to be able to discuss this subject with you in LA this coming November.  I've attended that rally before, but, for me, the predicted weather, particularly on the return trip home, is a big factor in my decision to attend or not.  I'm 1000 miles dead north of the rally site and the last time I attended, the return trip was a two-day ride in 40 degree continuous rain conditions.

I will have my annual prostrate exam in mid-October.  My PSA numbers have slowly elevated over the last several years.  Last year's number was 7.4 and the digital exam was still "normal".  My doctor, in addition to info I've read, indicate that slow increases are acceptable as my age goes up.  It's when the curve over time increases more dramatically that I should be concerned.  I guess I'll face that situation when it happens.

Ride safe.

Chuck,

At age 81 I would agree with you. It is well proven that men in late 70s and into the 80s experience more PSA growth than at another other time in their lives.  At age 50,  60 and 65 not so much.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2014, 12:05:28 AM »
  Redryder90, you are making this into something it is not.
  This is not the illgloomie site.
  I recognize that cancer patients have a real problem not to be confused with hypochondriacs.
  I also know that doctors love hypochondriacs as cash cows and milk them for all they can.
  It is them that I would dis.  Don't put words in my mouth please.
  Besides sometimes a lithe levity is good medicine itself.

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2014, 10:23:26 AM »
So far, I don't know what I have. PSA has risen to 12. (!) 2 negative biopsies. Changed dick docks.  Grin Did an hour long MRA with a gizmo up my .. oh, I'll spare you the details. Found a "suspicious" looking area. Biopsied that. Negative. <shrug> New doc says <shrug> I say WTF?

I may be in the same boat, Chuck. I had a negative biopsy eight years ago after my PSA doubled in a year to 8. Was treated for inflamed BPH with an antibiotic and alpha blocker. PSA went down to 5. Last year it was 7, this year 12, so I had an MRI -- I've seen the images but the urologist wants to talk to a guy who specializes in image-guided biopsy and therapy before he tells me what he thinks the images mean. Waiting four weeks now. I should say all the men on my dad's side have had PC -- but most have lived pretty well into their 90s. My dad is 92 and the PC isn't going to kill him -- bitter hatred of the NY Yankees will. On the other hand my mom died at 57 of breast cancer, which is rampant on her side of the family.  Maybe I'll know more in a week . . .
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2014, 10:48:27 AM »
 Redryder90, you are making this into something it is not.
  This is not the illgloomie site.
  I recognize that cancer patients have a real problem not to be confused with hypochondriacs.
  I also know that doctors love hypochondriacs as cash cows and milk them for all they can.
  It is them that I would dis.  Don't put words in my mouth please.
  Besides sometimes a lithe levity is good medicine itself.

Jim,
 Men on this list have  serious legitimate  questions about prostate cancer and nutrition and you go all loopy about hypochondria. I do not need to put words in your mouth. Your words stand on their own. EX:  " This is not the illgloomie site", "Whee! tofu party ! bean curds oh yea!", "Hypochondria is the most contagious disease in the world",
"My mother was probably the worst hypochondriac I have ever known so some of this is by personal observation". Your words Jim not mine. This is not germane to the topic. In fact it is quite a distraction.
Seeing that I have been through the cancer mill since my youth (53) I have a bit to share and hopefully that will assist those who are in need of some information they are seeking. It seems that your reflection on the difficulty growing up with a mother who was in your words a "hypochondria with a cabinet full of
medicine" seems to be driving your desire to harp on hypochondria. Not to mention twice you have brought up and I quote YOUR words not mine  "doctors love hypochondriacs as cash cows and milk them for all they can". This is not helpful and if anything is quite negative and steers the subject away from what grown men seeking honest clinical medical information on their prostate issues. I find your comments (your words not mine) on "hypochondria", "tofu, and "doctors cash cow" immature, inappropriate and no longer worthy of discussion. I am done discussing anything with you. I am keeping my comments to the serious thread on prostate cancer and nutrition.
BTW just for the record I also had a mother who was a hypochondriac and self medicated because she had access to pharmaceuticals at the drug store she was employed.  Her bedroom dresser drawers were full of drugs. When she got breast cancer she sat and read the book waiting in terror on the next set of symptoms to appear. So you are not telling me anything I do not know. That said I find it inappropriate to bring up childhood problems with grown men seeking information many of us need or will face in the future.
I suggest starting a thread on hypochondria and let'er rip. In the meantime no more childhood stories for me. Just like we share diagnostics and repair on our Geese this thread was opened to discuss the problems of the prostate. My apologies to those few females on the group who have to weave their way through this truly "mans" thread.  :beat_horse
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:24:48 AM by redrider90 »
Red 90 Mille GT

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »
I may be in the same boat, Chuck. I had a negative biopsy eight years ago after my PSA doubled in a year to 8. Was treated for inflamed BPH with an antibiotic and alpha blocker. PSA went down to 5. Last year it was 7, this year 12, so I had an MRI -- I've seen the images but the urologist wants to talk to a guy who specializes in image-guided biopsy and therapy before he tells me what he thinks the images mean. Waiting four weeks now. I should say all the men on my dad's side have had PC -- but most have lived pretty well into their 90s. My dad is 92 and the PC isn't going to kill him -- bitter hatred of the NY Yankees will. On the other hand my mom died at 57 of breast cancer, which is rampant on her side of the family.  Maybe I'll know more in a week . . .

No cancer on either side of my family as far as I know.
bitter hatred of the NY Yankees will.
;D ;D
The NE cheaters* will probably be my undoing.. ;)

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Testarossa

• Gaggle Hero
    • Skiing History
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2014, 11:08:31 AM »
This email just in from my urologist: There is a well-defined area in the right side of the prostate which is highly suspicious for cancer. This would be ideal for fusion biopsies since it is so well defined.

So it's off to Denver for the biopsy.
70 Triumph TR6R, 74 850T, 74 Yamaha TA125, 89 Mille GT, 99 F650, 2013 Yamaha XT250
Gone: 59 Piper Comanche 250, 69 Harley/Aermacchi 350SS, 71 Honda CB500/4, 74 Laverda 750 SF2, 91 Suzuki VX800, 50cc two-stroke scoot, 83 XR350R

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2014, 11:19:03 AM »
No cancer on either side of my family as far as I know.  ;D ;D
The NE cheaters* will probably be my undoing.. ;)

I drew the short straw with 4 men in my family.
Red 90 Mille GT

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2014, 11:21:26 AM »
This email just in from my urologist: There is a well-defined area in the right side of the prostate which is highly suspicious for cancer. This would be ideal for fusion biopsies since it is so well defined.

So it's off to Denver for the biopsy.

Good luck....

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2014, 01:23:07 PM »
  Okay redryder, I will permit you to deliberately misinterpret my words in any fashion you wish to imagine.
  There are others on this forum who have known me far longer than you.  Many I have ridden with and camped with.
   Unlike you, They know who I am.

Offline centauro

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2014, 07:09:08 PM »

............... My apologies to those few females on the group who have to weave their way through this truly "mans" thread.  :beat_horse

Redrider90,
I am sure the ladies of this group don't mind it a bit to read this thread. In fact, these ladies are probably aware that prostate cancer is a couple's disease, not just a man's disease. The same holds true for breast cancer .My wonderful wife of 37 years has been my rock of support in my prostate cancer journey and has made it a walk in the park for me.

Matt and all others who are still reading this, make your wife or significant other your "wingman" from the getgo. It will make all the difference.
Val Barone
1984 1000 SP/NT (sold)
1973 Benelli 650S Tornado (sold)
1985 Vespa PX150E
1973 Honda CB 350 Four

Learn from other's mistakes ; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.  Eleanor Roosevelt

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2014, 07:22:43 PM »
good luck TR
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

oldbike54

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2014, 07:31:47 PM »
Yeah Seth , good luck .

Dusty

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2014, 07:53:04 PM »
Redrider90,
I am sure the ladies of this group don't mind it a bit to read this thread. In fact, these ladies are probably aware that prostate cancer is a couple's disease, not just a man's disease. The same holds true for breast cancer .My wonderful wife of 37 years has been my rock of support in my prostate cancer journey and has made it a walk in the park for me.

Matt and all others who are still reading this, make your wife or significant other your "wingman" from the getgo. It will make all the difference.

I traveled to Sarasota Fl for 3 months;  10 weeks of which was radiation. After the 3 treatments my legs began to get rubbery. By the next week I literally was unable to do anything. If it had not been for my wife I could not have made it through the radiation. I know full well the journey, for those of us lucky enough to have a partner, is taken by both people together. I was lucky to have my wife literally support me throughout a very difficult situation.  I know single men who have had to deal with it on their own. "My apology" to the women Guzziti was recognition of them and their presence on the group.
Red 90 Mille GT

dilligaf

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2014, 08:20:15 PM »
Yep, still reading and still learning.  A good read.  At this point, I am beginning to believer the odds of dying with PC are greater than of PC.  Not sure the cure is worst than the disease.

Son in law call about four hours ago.  He had just crossed from Texas into Arkansas and we are joining up Thursday afternoon in Bryson City, NC to plan our ride to Prince Edward Island.  Called all the doctors and told them I would see them sometime in October.

I serviced the K75 last month and the tires are sort of new-or-new enough.  ;-T

:BEER:
Matt

oldbike54

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2014, 08:23:34 PM »
Matt , you are much cuter than I had pictured  :D

Dusty

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 09:16:10 PM »
  You sure are, what did they remove to do that?

dilligaf

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2014, 10:06:53 PM »
That picture was taken on a trip to Mexico.  ;-T
I know. Should take the SP.  ;D It needs a rear tire. The LeMans-don't trust the white float I repaired.  The LS is getting ready to be repainted,  The Ducati need front and rear tires.  The GS need front and rear. But, I know, should take the SP.   :BEER:
Matt

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here