Author Topic: Speedmetal LED headlights for Stelvio  (Read 21674 times)

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
Speedmetal LED headlights for Stelvio
« on: September 22, 2014, 10:43:12 AM »
So I was in cycle gear the other day and came across a LED conversion kit by Speedmetal, They were on sale(as are most things a CG) and claim to have a design which eliminates the scattered light pattern that seems to be a problem for many LED bulbs. I'm a sucker for a sale and have wanted to upgrade the lights on my Stelvio but didn't want HID's because of the warm up time delay when switching from high to low beam on a H4 version so I gave the LED's a shot. Install was a true plug and play with just one plug that goes into the stock light socket. The light pattern is very good on low or high and they are super bright so Im happy with this purchase and just hope they last as long as advertised .

Phil_P

Re: Speedmetal LED headlights for Stelvio
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »
How warm do the units get? Do you think the fan is a) required, and b) effective ?

Phil

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 11:06:05 AM »
So I was in cycle gear the other day and came across a LED conversion kit by Speedmetal, They were on sale(as are most things a CG) and claim to have a design which eliminates the scattered light pattern that seems to be a problem for many LED bulbs. I'm a sucker for a sale and have wanted to upgrade the lights on my Stelvio but didn't want HID's because of the warm up time delay when switching from high to low beam on a H4 version so I gave the LED's a shot. Install was a true plug and play with just one plug that goes into the stock light socket. The light pattern is very good on low or high and they are super bright so Im happy with this purchase and just hope they last as long as advertised .

Great information.    Did you buy two kits (one for each headlight) or do they come in pairs?   Is the current draw lower than the stock H4 halogen bulbs or did you install relays ....?  

Lannis
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 11:09:38 AM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:02:46 PM »
didn't want HID's because of the warm up time delay when switching from high to low beam on a H4 version

There is no such problem. It is one bulb that moves from high to low. It is always on.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:02:46 PM »

Phil_P

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 01:16:05 PM »
Only if it's one of the bi-xenon ones Wayne. Some have an HID main and halogen dip (or vice versa, can't remember) and don't have the electromagnetic shifting system.

Phil

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 01:22:13 PM »
There is no such problem. It is one bulb that moves from high to low. It is always on.

That depends on the exact mfgr/style of bulb and how they're wired in.  I have separate hi beam elements.  The delay when turning the bulb on or off and back on annoys the hell out of me.  On initial wick-up the lght and ballast need to warm up.  It can take 30sec or more before you've got full light.  If you turn them off they can 'demand' a cool-down period by not restarting for a while -- maybe up to 15 minutes*.  It makes HID (at least the stuff I'm using) a poor choice for running lights in any situation where you could have frequent oncoming traffic.  As a low beam, not so much of a problem.

I'm also revisiting lighting as I get into that portion of the trike project.  I'm weighing the pro's and con's of an LED replacement element for the H4-based halogen behind my E4 headlight lens v one of these truck-lite-type LED headlight conversions.  What kind did you get?  Pics of the bulb?  Any light meter tests on output?

*Based on my particular experience with a particular HID setup.  Different mfgrs do it different ways. YMMV

Offline Semper-guzzi

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 01:29:10 PM »
I'm interested in seeing how this compares to stock if you have pictures.
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

2003 California Aluminum RiP :(
2001 Jackal :)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 01:40:14 PM »
I'm also interested in how it does high beam -- does it simply add light or does it shift the point of focus for the lens as well?  One of my problems with LED right now is that they often add elements or change voltage on the lit elements to make high beam.  All that does is make the low beam coverage brighter.  Unless the 'bulb' itself dos some sort of position shift you don't really get the projection of high beams.  That's why most of these HID/LED bulb replacements have marginal-to-no real-world advantage over the stock system and why I'm looking into complete conversations instead of bulb substitutions.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 01:48:05 PM »
There was a recent post about an LED H4 bulb from ADV Monster that actually has a low beam cutoff:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=66974.msg1105744#msg1105744
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 01:48:23 PM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 02:42:36 PM »
Great information.    Did you buy two kits (one for each headlight) or do they come in pairs?   Is the current draw lower than the stock H4 halogen bulbs or did you install relays ....?  

Lannis

Yes two kits, price marked as $119. a piece on sale for $59.99 and then an in store discount of another 10% to make it $53.99.  No relays just plug into stock headlight sockets that's it. Power draw is 24 watts as opposed to 55 and 60 stock. Im not sure if its a double bulb or only part lights on low but when on low only top part lights then when switching to high the bottom also lights each one reflecting of a different part of the stock lens but very bright and has good cutoff on both beams.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »
Yes two kits, price marked as $119. a piece on sale for $59.99 and then an in store discount of another 10% to make it $53.99.  No relays just plug into stock headlight sockets that's it. Power draw is 24 watts as opposed to 55 and 60 stock. Im not sure if its a double bulb or only part lights on low but when on low only top part lights then when switching to high the bottom also lights each one reflecting of a different part of the stock lens but very bright and has good cutoff on both beams.

Well, watch me go to Cycle Gear.   There's .91 x 2 = 1.8 amps on low beam going through the handlebar switch now, and if it's half that with the LED lights that'll be great.

Lannis

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 03:35:05 PM »
There was a recent post about an LED H4 bulb from ADV Monster that actually has a low beam cutoff:

http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=66974.msg1105744#msg1105744

I don't see the low beam cutoff as an issue.  You can always adjust the headlight to minimize that.  It's the relationship between what they're calling 'low' and 'high' beams and how they make it happen that bothers me.  If the light source doesn't shift to use the high beam facets of the lens then you don't have a high beam, you have an overly-bright low beam.

I have seen some of the superwide, superbright CREE LED elements arranged like the OP's -- uses the blister on one side of the 'popsicle stick' center post for low and the other side for high.  I can't tell exactly where on the popsicle stick the blisters are, but if they're offset from each other and indexed to the proper part of the reflector and lens, they might give a true high beam.  I'm targeting them as plan "B" should I be unhappy with my truck-lite solution.

I see three types of base designs:

really long with a heat sink
not quite as long with a smaller heat sink and a fan
looking very much like a traditional H-4 bulb without the heat sink stuff

I also see two types of power delivery

has an external or internal voltage converter
plugs directly into the headlight socket without a converter

And if we don't count the silly designs clustered with dozens of very low output diodes, I see two types of basic LED pustule arrangement

'projector' type with forward firing LEDs + side-firing
Side-fire only

Under side-firing (which should more closely imitate halogen) I see four basic styles:

popsicle stick with a single side populated by one or more LEDs.  "brights" are accomplished by increasing voltage and/or lighting up the third LED in the cluster
popsicle stick with a wide-angle blister on each side.   "brights" are accomplished by increasing voltage and powering up the flip-side LED
Several dozen low-output LEDS encrusting the post -- useful as a guide light but not so much for headlights
three-sided post with an LED on each side.  This design seems entirely stupid.

And then there are the complete kits for a real conversion that include the bulbs, reflectors, and lenses.  I've spotted two DOT approved designs so far -- I'm sure there are more.  

Once you find your way through all that detail, you have to keep in mind that the descriptions, claims, and specs for the bulbs are all f***ing nonsense.  The only place you can find more deliberately deceptive wording and more outright bullshit lies is faux gnus.  They compare apples to Mozart and flat out 'redefine' accepted terms in an effort to confuse the buyer.  That's another topic altogether which we should probably discuss at some point.   ::(
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:37:40 PM by rodekyll »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 03:50:06 PM »
I don't see the low beam cutoff as an issue.  You can always adjust the headlight to minimize that.  It's the relationship between what they're calling 'low' and 'high' beams and how they make it happen that bothers me.

As I understood the description of the ADV Monster bulb, it has optics for the low beam that cut off the upper edge of the pattern the same way a quartz-halogen bulb does.  This keeps glaring light out of oncoming drivers' eyes when in low beam mode.  Without low beam cutoff, if you adjust the headlight so it doesn't glare in oncoming drivers' eyes, high beam is likely to not be high enough.

That's not to say I understood it correctly, but I think I did.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 04:55:16 PM »
Only if it's one of the bi-xenon ones Wayne. Some have an HID main and halogen dip (or vice versa, can't remember) and don't have the electromagnetic shifting system.

But even on those, the HID stays on and you get the added high beam from the halogen.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 04:57:30 PM »
That depends on the exact mfgr/style of bulb and how they're wired in.  I have separate hi beam elements.  

Show me a link to someone that manufactures such a thing.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 05:47:07 PM »
I'd like to have an easy link, but due to the really poor descriptions and lack of details in the listings I see it would take a long time to sort out which is which.  If you want to search for it, maybe 'bi-xenon hybrid' or xenon hybrid will give you something.  I'd be thankful if techno-time has moved past it.

The most recent problem for my HID is that it refuses to dip to low beam after being on high.  I have to turn the headlight off completely and restart it.  With the startup delay it's completely unacceptable in real-time.  The mfgr says it's a problem with my wiring.  I don't see what could have happened to the wires in the amount of time it took me to do my grocery shopping.

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 06:49:44 PM »
The most recent problem for my HID is that it refuses to dip to low beam after being on high.  I have to turn the headlight off completely and restart it.  With the startup delay it's completely unacceptable in real-time.  The mfgr says it's a problem with my wiring.  I don't see what could have happened to the wires in the amount of time it took me to do my grocery shopping.

I'm glad I got the magnetic motor style. No such issues.

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 07:07:20 PM »
http://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-LED-Conversion-Kit
Is this how it connects? Looks like an AC plug? I'd assume there'd be a standard H4 style bulb connector.
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 08:01:39 PM »
http://www.cyclegear.com/SPEEDMETAL-LED-Conversion-Kit
Is this how it connects? Looks like an AC plug? I'd assume there'd be a standard H4 style bulb connector.

I don't understand how it works.   There's only two prongs on the plug.   How does it get hi-beam/ground and low-beam/ground? 

Lannis

Offline Moto Fugazzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waiting on a sign from God, or a nod from hell.
    • Griso
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 08:05:09 PM »
I don't understand how it works.   There's only two prongs on the plug.   How does it get hi-beam/ground and low-beam/ground? 

Lannis
Not to mention that the prongs are normally on the bulb, and the connector should be a female end. They must not have everything pictured.
Ken
Ken
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
2009 V7C White
2007 Griso Black-Sold
1978 V50 II Blue-Sold

canuguzzi

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 08:24:19 PM »
LEDs are cool in the temp of the light,  the other components can gwt very hot and even melt housings.  That is often overlooked.

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 10:52:01 AM »
Lannis

I wondered the same thing, the one pictured on the CG website is for an H7 bulb which is two prong. The H4 version has three prongs.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 11:21:38 AM »
I wondered the same thing, the one pictured on the CG website is for an H7 bulb which is two prong. The H4 version has three prongs.

Thanks, that explains it!!

Just ordered a set, I'll report in after I get them in.   Probably be after the Maryland rally this weekend.

Lannis
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 11:34:06 AM by Lannis »

Offline Cage Free

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 02:15:52 PM »
Thanks, that explains it!!

Just ordered a set, I'll report in after I get them in.   Probably be after the Maryland rally this weekend.

Lannis

Since my Stelvio doesn't use what seems to be the industry standard spring clip to hold stock H4 bulb in place and instead uses a snap ring type of retention system I had to file out a very little bit of the nylon retainer to get the LED light to fit,

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 02:27:12 PM »
Since my Stelvio doesn't use what seems to be the industry standard spring clip to hold stock H4 bulb in place and instead uses a snap ring type of retention system I had to file out a very little bit of the nylon retainer to get the LED light to fit,

I think Wayne O. had to do the same sort of hand-work to the mount to get his HID lights to fit.   I'll be ready .....

Lannis

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 05:49:58 PM »
I think Wayne O. had to do the same sort of hand-work to the mount to get his HID lights to fit.   I'll be ready .....

Yes. For me a pocket knife and about 30 seconds of slight plastic trimming. Non-issue.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 09:09:22 PM »

to be sure, this is an LED bulb replacement for H4 hallogen bulb?  Just plug it in & go?

I am heading to CG tomorrow.  All three of my bikes have H4 bulbs.  I put 100wt bulbs on my Bandit, they run hot and the headlight lens is starting to show a dark spot.  I've never upgraded the bulbs on the EV or Sport because of fears electric overload & heat.  LED sounds ideal.  

edit:

I checked out the website.  Excuse my ignorance, there is a Blue male two prong plug.  Am I right to assume that every H4 has the same type of plug? 
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 09:32:45 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »
to be sure, this is an LED bulb replacement for H4 hallogen bulb?  Just plug it in & go?

I am heading to CG tomorrow.  All three of my bikes have H4 bulbs.  I put 100wt bulbs on my Bandit, they run hot and the headlight lens is starting to show a dark spot.  I've never upgraded the bulbs on the EV or Sport because of fears electric overload & heat.  LED sounds ideal. 

I don't understand why it hasn't happened before this, LED lights for bikes I mean.

I have a couple of LED pocket flashlights, and a big spotlight, and they are INCREDIBLY bright.   The pocket lights use 2 AA batteries and will throw a beam 100 yards, and the spotlight uses 4 "C" cells and will light up a spot across the river valley from the house 3/4 of a mile away, they don't get hot, and the batteries last a LONG time.   I've let all my MagLites die, they're pathetic compared to these.

I hope they've finally come into their own for bikes!   I could use the light.

Lannis

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 10:41:11 PM »
I don't understand why it hasn't happened before this, LED lights for bikes I mean.

Even though the wattage is less than incandescent, it is a lot for a silicon die. The technology to get the heat conducted out of the single silicon die is recent. I think they are alloying aluminum or some such with the silicon to do it (I think I read that). Note that the large fan is still needed on most of these.

Another issue is still there. The die size is huge. Sometimes the die contains multiple LEDs in one. The die is actually larger then the small arc capsule on an HID which is larger that the little filament wire in an incandescent. So light scatter will be worse than HID, and people have complained about those for years.

Then there is bulb color. They are going to be very blue. It is hard to get warm light from these, which are usually made by painting a layer of phosphor over a blue or UV LED. The amount of blue contributes to more scatter, more reflected light, and isn't that great for lighting the important things (unless you happen to have blue deer in your woods).  :)  What color are these LEDs?

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 02:59:10 AM »
Even though the wattage is less than incandescent, it is a lot for a silicon die. The technology to get the heat conducted out of the single silicon die is recent. I think they are alloying aluminum or some such with the silicon to do it (I think I read that). Note that the large fan is still needed on most of these.

Another issue is still there. The die size is huge. Sometimes the die contains multiple LEDs in one. The die is actually larger then the small arc capsule on an HID which is larger that the little filament wire in an incandescent. So light scatter will be worse than HID, and people have complained about those for years.

Then there is bulb color. They are going to be very blue. It is hard to get warm light from these, which are usually made by painting a layer of phosphor over a blue or UV LED. The amount of blue contributes to more scatter, more reflected light, and isn't that great for lighting the important things (unless you happen to have blue deer in your woods).  :)  What color are these LEDs?

Here's what the catalog says:

After years of research and development, Speedmetal is proud to present another bright idea in headlight design. The LED Conversion Kit provides 2.5 times the brightness of a standard halogen bulb and is designed to have an incredibly long and reliable 30,000 hour lifespan thanks to its Embedded Cooling System and Wind Cavity Construction. The LED Conversion Kit also has a unique Rocker Reflector system that helps to focus your headlight where it is needed most and sets this kit apart compared to other LED bulbs on the market.

Features and Benefits
Brightness 2200-2400 lumens
Low 24 watt power consumption compared to the average standard OEM 60 watt bulbs
Anti-glare design
30,000 hour lifespan
Excellent heat dissipation
Easy installation

My only comment was that my pocket flashlight has a very bright white beam, runs for many hours (don't know how many yet) off a pair of AA batteries so the current draw can't be much, they don't get hot, and a pair of them mounted on the front of my bike would provide me with all the light I want or need.   I don't understand why something exactly like them couldn't be powered off of a bike battery.

Lannis

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here