Author Topic: 2015 MGNOC National Rally in New Hampshire - June 18 - 21, 2015  (Read 87759 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Next National - 2015 MGNOC National Rally in New Hampshire
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2014, 08:09:11 PM »
How did a thread about next year's National turn into a travelog of somebody's trip to Alaska?

Now I LIKE travelogues of trips to Alaska, but on my steam-powered computer, I hate having to scan down through all those nice photographs in order to find out what's happening at the next National?

Perhaps Our Rocker59 can do his "thread-merging" magic and move the Alaska trip pics to an Alaska trip thread (maybe the old one and bring it forward so it's all in one place)?   Best of both worlds then ...

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

dilligaf

« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2014, 09:58:57 PM »
I was just reinforcing RK post, and having some fun, about the weather in June verses the weather in July in August.  As I posted, it rained almost every day until the last of June and it just stopped raining.  However, when I returned to Glacier National Park to ride the Road to the Sun (It was still closed the when we were their the first week of June) it was wall to wall people.  ::(  :BEER:
Matt 

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »
How did a thread about next year's National turn into a travelog of somebody's trip to Alaska?

Sorry, sorry, sorry   :wife:  I didn't mean to hijack the thread & push it in another direction!   Just wanted to get some quick advice when the opportunity to do so popped up on this thread.  I'll never, never, never, ever, ever, ever do it again - promise!  At least not until next time...
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2014, 12:13:52 AM »
2012 ?

Yes, D-2-D 2012 pic.  Which bike was yours?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2014, 12:13:52 AM »

Offline G-zulu

• New Egg
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2014, 09:46:57 AM »

Yes, D-2-D 2012 pic.  Which bike was yours?

The blue/black KTM 8 bikes in the background. I remember getting the chance to throw a leg over the Stelvio with Alberta license plates.

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2014, 10:32:55 AM »
Now I LIKE travelogues of trips to Alaska, but on my steam-powered computer, I hate having to scan down through all those nice photographs in order to find out what's happening at the next National?

Perhaps Our Rocker59 can do his "thread-merging" magic and move the Alaska trip pics to an Alaska trip thread (maybe the old one and bring it forward so it's all in one place)?   Best of both worlds then ...

Lannis

Yes. Rocker please unmerge Alaska and remerge it somewhere else.
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2014, 01:14:57 AM »

The blue/black KTM 8 bikes in the background. I remember getting the chance to throw a leg over the Stelvio with Alberta license plates.

;-T

Sorry for the drift.  Someone had mentioned that they wanted to do Alaska and the national In the same run, and I answered with some photos to explain the rain.  It seemed on-topic at the time . . .

Offline oldmxdog61u

• Gaggle Mentor
  • enjoy life...
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2014, 07:26:21 AM »
Oregon? Where in oregon? More doable for me coming from dantes hell.
Enjoy life!
1985 lemans 1000 (gone)
1996 Sport 1100 (gone)
2007 norge (ahhhhh)
1984 yz250 (gone to museum)
1977 Cr125m Elsinore (sold)
1973 HD FX (back to my bro)
1974 Eldorado (grace)

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2014, 07:42:52 AM »

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2014, 07:48:04 AM »
that is also Laconia weekend
 it will be hard to find a motel
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 08:24:00 AM by drlapo »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2014, 08:52:11 AM »
Oregon? Where in oregon? More doable for me coming from dantes hell.

John Day..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2014, 09:09:46 AM »
Over the years, I've known groups of bikers who went to ride the Kanc during the Laconia Rally. Not once has anybody said that they had a fun ride. They all bitched about the heavy traffic and police presence. The Kancamagus Highway can bve a real treat to ride with scenic turnouts and spectacular scenery, but not during the Rally. The same goes for the Mt. Washington Auto Road. Do what you want, but all the rides I'm thinking about are keeping far away from the Laconia and White Mountains area.  There's a lot to Northern New England. Take the ride up to the Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream factory in Waterbury, and I think you'll be happily Impressed. I have a good route planned out; as well as some other rides. Hopefully, my daughter and son in law will be able to show me how to post it here on Thanksgiving. (My Computer Literacy Level isn't quite up to Hooked On Phonics. )
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2014, 10:35:55 AM »
I rode the Kangamagus in early July on a Sunday morning around 8  and saw one other bike and 2 cars
it was very nice
better food on the east  end

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2014, 02:53:10 PM »
John Day.. 

I hope the timing for John Day in '16 will allow for a trip to the Deep Forest Campground on the same trip west.  I don't have that many more trips to the far west left in me.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2014, 03:12:03 PM »
Since this topic is narrowly focused on the '15 rally only, I won't make any comments about PNW rallys/NARs except to say that there are three major events in the area:  Deep Forest, John Day, and Fossil.  The WA MGNOC rep could maybe give you a sense of scheduling.  PM me for contact info if you don't have access to the mgnoc website.  Steve Ford, active in both the WA and OR chapters might also have some inside information. 

Offline bouts

• New Egg
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2015, 11:13:29 AM »
Going to join MGNOC just to be able to attend this one.  Four hours down the road, and some great sounding rides!!!!

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2015, 11:15:43 AM »
It's great joinng MGNOC but it isn't required to be a member just to attend and participate in the rally.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

dilligaf

« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »
Going to join MGNOC just to be able to attend this one.  Four hours down the road, and some great sounding rides!!!!

Membership not required to attend but would be greatly appreciated.  ;-T  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2015, 04:12:58 PM »
Looking forward to riding back to New Hampshire!  Great roads up there!  It's just a hop, skip, and a jump fer me!  :)

Beaver
MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2015, 07:21:07 PM »
Looking forward to riding back to New Hampshire!  Great roads up there!  It's just a hop, skip, and a jump fer me!  :)

Beaver

Well, yeah.. it's a *long* hop, skip, and jump..  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2015, 07:22:52 PM »

Come on Chuck, don't be so hard on the Beave (always wanted to say that).
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline GuzziPilot

• Gosling
« Reply #81 on: January 04, 2015, 12:18:54 PM »
The only effect Laconia might have on Keene region is the folks passing thru for bike week. The first day of Laconia isn't too bad, I like to sneak in for some T-Shirts and sun glasses (always good to have a junk pair in the tank bag).....but the final part of getting into town is frustrating with MANY long traffic stops.....is down hill and an engine off coast till you land some parking. 

I vowed I'd never do it again.....but wouldn't it be great to have a Guzzi calvacade ride by!!   :bike

BTW...I scored my EV from a board member over in Mass......I opted to leave the bike there for a summer fly, rally & ride!!!!!  Been without a Guzzi for three years while pulling duty (again) in Kodiak, AK.  And am truly jazzed about this being the first gathering I'll attend.....of many more.

And I get to meet many of you and see all my New England Guzzi clan again.  Time to break out the checklist and get my stuff sorted
 ;-T

Lee
2012 GT8V Norge {The Faster Color}
2002 EV1100 - Vintage Red
Y2K Jackal {sold} - Red

Offline C5Performance

• New Egg
    • C5 Performance Inc
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2015, 03:08:25 PM »
I was a vendor at the Iowa National and Wisconsin rallies last summer. I met Randy during dinner one night and found out about this rally from him. Ever since I've kept that weekend open in hopes I could make the 1100 mile drive from Green Bay.

Will there be several vendors at this event offering Guzzi parts? Having just purchased my first Guzzi (late 60's V700) I would love to bring it along and learn a few things from the "veterans". Will there be classes or seminars that I could volunteer for if we can make it there? For those of you who talked with me, I am the ignition guy in the old red truck  ;D

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: January 04, 2015, 10:58:32 PM »

This trip will be much shorter than the last time I went to a New Hampshire rally.  For the first ever New Hampshire rally, I did a little tour of the whole Eastern US, visiting about 25 states and putting about 5800 miles on the Breva, traveling mostly secondary roads.  Most of the routes for scenic sight-seeing I planned by looking at maps each evening; locals sent me on some other routes; and when I called Tex in the evening to tell him where I was, sometimes he would tell me places to ride or roads to look for or ferries to hop on!  Even when I got lost, the scenery was beautiful, riding through the woods or following a river! 

So for all you guys that live a little further than me, I encourage you to take a few days, find some good motorcycle roads and enjoy a ride to New Hampshire.  You'll be glad you did!

Beaver
MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

dilligaf

« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2015, 07:10:42 AM »
I also use state maps to plan the next days ride the evening before and some rides I'll bet you I have 10-15 maps(And yes, that sort of sucks). I try to highlight the planed route and after the ride, sometime years after, I refer to my maps as a record.  I copy the route numbers onto a sheet of paper that I can see in the window of a tank bag. GPS is a back up and not used to navigate or plan. The AAA is a good source for maps.  County or state roads preferred.  US highways only when necessary and avoid Interstates. Same days, when riding in the eastern part of the US I can ride  almost 200 miles.  Some days I've made 250. When I come to a town I seldom take a bypass preferring to ride through and see what is there. Interstates are not without their uses but..........Rememb er all you folks who have just retired, you no longer have to be back at 8 AM on Monday.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2015, 07:22:18 AM »
I was a vendor at the Iowa National and Wisconsin rallies last summer. I met Randy during dinner one night and found out about this rally from him. Ever since I've kept that weekend open in hopes I could make the 1100 mile drive from Green Bay.

Will there be several vendors at this event offering Guzzi parts? Having just purchased my first Guzzi (late 60's V700) I would love to bring it along and learn a few things from the "veterans". Will there be classes or seminars that I could volunteer for if we can make it there? For those of you who talked with me, I am the ignition guy in the old red truck  ;D

Not unless you bring em..  ;D :BEER:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Bill Hagan

« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2015, 07:59:32 AM »
I also use state maps to plan the next days ride the evening before and some rides I'll bet you I have 10-15 maps(And yes, that sort of sucks). I try to highlight the planed route and after the ride, sometime years after, I refer to my maps as a record.  I copy the route numbers onto a sheet of paper that I can see in the window of a tank bag. GPS is a back up and not used to navigate or plan. The AAA is a good source for maps.  County or state roads preferred.  US highways only when necessary and avoid Interstates. Same days, when riding in the eastern part of the US I can ride  almost 200 miles.  Some days I've made 250. When I come to a town I seldom take a bypass preferring to ride through and see what is there. Interstates are not without their uses but..........Rememb er all you folks who have just retired, you no longer have to be back at 8 AM on Monday.  :BEER:
Matt

Most states' "official maps" are great in scale and detail and, IMO, much to be preferred over those of the AAA, an outfit I loathe for various policy and performance reasons.  We only stay members because Kathi views it as a safety net, despite our (several) redundant emergency-towing service providers, etc.  C'est ma femme douce.   ::)

In fairness, have to say that while I find most of AAA's maps second-rate, its "National Capital Region" (or something like that) issue is stupendous -- at least for caging -- as it takes in a vast part of the D.C. metro blob area in one swoop, and is very useful.  Got one by accident once, and now pick up a new one every chance we get.

OBTW, back to main topic, talking with several others about that trip nawth, and all looking forward to it.  Tried to find a place to stay in Winchester, New Hampshire, only c.11 miles SW of the rally, so we would be less likely to forget where our lodging is  ;D, but have reservations now at the HIE in Keene.  

Buon Anno Nouvo!

Bill

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #87 on: January 05, 2015, 09:18:20 AM »
I am undecided whether to go or not. If I go, then the VA Rally the following weekend is out and I had hoped to extend that with exploration of the Mt. Rogers area, Burke's Garden, Tazewell, etc. before heading north through WV and home. Time and monetary constraints mean I can't do both.

If I do go, I'll be looking for "off the beaten path" routing and much less expensive lodging than an HIE. Are there any reasonably priced "Mom and Pop" sort of motels in the area?
Charlie

Offline C5Performance

• New Egg
    • C5 Performance Inc
« Reply #88 on: January 05, 2015, 09:25:38 AM »
Not unless you bring em..  ;D :BEER:

It's a long drive but I enjoy road trips. Being a vendor is a great way to meet new friends, even if you don't sell anything.
We should encourage sellers of Guzzi parts (new and used) to join the fun. I brought exhaust parts, electrical supplies, and of course our ignition kits.
My wife might even be able to join me this year and meet a few Guzzi wives!

Bill Hagan

« Reply #89 on: January 05, 2015, 09:32:04 AM »
I am undecided whether to go or not. If I go, then the VA Rally the following weekend is out and I had hoped to extend that with exploration of the Mt. Rogers area, Burke's Garden, Tazewell, etc. before heading north through WV and home. Time and monetary constraints mean I can't do both.

If I do go, I'll be looking for "off the beaten path" routing and much less expensive lodging than an HIE. Are there any reasonably priced "Mom and Pop" sort of motels in the area?

Hmmmmm.

Good point.

Thought about that and cancelled that HIE res.   ;D

Will look elsewhere, too.  Gotta figure out some "sales pitch" for Kathi, tho.   ;) :wife:

Bill

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here