Author Topic: Went to the humane society for a dog... left confused.  (Read 25403 times)

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
Went to the humane society for a dog... left confused.
« on: January 24, 2015, 04:48:52 PM »
The girl at the local Humane Society told us that we wouldn't be allowed to adopt a dog if we plan to leave it outside, in our fenced yard, during the day while we're at work.  I wasn't sure I was hearing right.  She explained that dogs must be crated indoors while no one is home to watch them, that her three are fine with it.  They stay in their crates for 10 hours until she gets home and lets them out.  Humane?

We just put our dog of ten years down a month ago and she'd been fine in the back yard every day.  Even preferred it if it was snowing!  Running back and forth, laying in the sun, relaying messages on the canine party line.

"Well, another dog might get in, or they might eat a squirrel and choke, or there might be a tornado."

Yep, I'm getting old.  The world's going nuts.

Tobit.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 04:49:15 PM by Tobit »
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Went to the humane society for a dog... left confused.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 05:16:08 PM »
When we adopted a dog from a shelter a few years ago, they required a fenced yard.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 05:17:48 PM »
I wish my hood had that rule.. there's a couple dogs who bark all day long and it's really driving me crazy..

Tobit, did they have one you liked?  tell them OK, show a crate and then ignore it.. do they do follow up to see if your abiding? My dog freely goes in her kennel when nothing is going on and seems to like it! but we never put her in it or close the door. even tho fenced I wouldn't leave her out when not home.. someone might steal her..
try a different agency..?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:20:59 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline NC Steve

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »
I tried to adopt a dog about a year ago that the Virginia Humane Society was frantic and begging to find a new home for. I was the perfect owner, have a fenced yard, I'm retired and home all day, even have a doggie door for my hound that I had to put down due to cancer 5 years ago, so this new big boy could come and go as he pleased. I even live beside a huge city park with great walking trails, so we would both get plenty of exercise. I grew up with dogs since I was 4, and have had and loved them all my life.

I was turned away though, because I live in NC, and am not a VA resident.
I believe the dog was put down within a couple of days.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:45:24 PM by NC Steve »
'16 Triumph T100
Past:
'19 RE Himalayan
'07 Honda ST1300
'00 Jackal,'89 Mille GT,'03 Cali Stone
4 Airheads, '88 K75,'99 BMW R1100R
___________________ ___________
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Mark Twain

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 05:29:30 PM »

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 05:46:00 PM »
I think the concept of pet ownership has become completely corrupted and I refuse to participate.  Up here to "adopt" a pet from the shelter you have to pass a background check.  No kidding.  Then there are all sorts of promises and pledges you have to sign because after all -- "animals are people, too."

Some woman has moved into the apartments next door.  They don't allow pets, although other sorts of people like drug dealers seem to be welcome.  Her huge dog lives in her car, which she has parked directly outside my window on account of the barking and howling disturbs the other tenants in her building.  I complained, both because of the noise and because the dog is outside in an unheated, unventilated car all night.  I was told that I need to think of it as 'sharing the ownership' of the f***ing mutt and that I need to try harder to get along with my neighbors.

I can't begin to express my revulsion. 

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 05:47:45 PM »
Find a way to adobt a dog, they mean well, and often keep the monsters away, but sometimes good folks get caught up in the weeds.  Tell them what they want to here, and make it happen, I say this because you clearly love your animals.
2007 Breva 1100  Red Arrow (and faster than yours!)
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 05:49:00 PM »
Bottom line, is dogs and cats need good homes, and many of us have them, lets make it work.
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2015, 05:49:27 PM »
When I read water meters 30 years ago, I would have to call in on dog owners that left the dog chained to a tree.  The dog would get all wrapped up and couldn't get to the water bowl.  Some people just don't know how to treat animals.

I do agree that a large dog in a crate is cruel.  A snickerpoodleterrie rchihuwa should never be left outdoors.  P:)
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2015, 05:55:49 PM »
 Humane society can be fussy considering the animals are on death row...... Dog outside all day when no one is home usually means a barking dog...

dilligaf

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2015, 06:13:55 PM »
Never kept a dog in a cage in my life and most of our pets lived outside. But, the middle granddaughter keeps two good size dogs in a large cage in her house when she goes to work. The mutts go into the gage willingly and seem healthy enough to me.  When she get homes they expect to be let out and will let you know it if that doesn't happen "right now".  All she had to do is say "up" and both dogs head right for the cage.  However, the idea that a person could go to jail because someone didn't approve of how they cared for their dog well........... :BEER:
Matt   

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2015, 06:17:26 PM »
Humane society can be fussy considering the animals are on death row...... Dog outside all day when no one is home usually means a barking dog...

We wanted to adopt a "rescue" Border Collie.   I've owned Border Collies my whole life, and I know their needs, instincts, and how to treat them.    They need lots of interaction, they need a job to do, they need outlets for their energy, and they need to know that their efforts are recognized and appreciated.   I live on 310 acres of family land, with 1000 acres of timber company land surrounding it.   Two houses on two square miles, 3/4 of a mile to the nearest road.   A perfect environment for a busy, energetic dog.

We approached two different Humane Societies looking for a Border Collie that had been rescued from a situation where the previous owners had not recognized the above, and had let the dog go.    We found two dogs.

In EACH case, they demanded:

1) That the dog be kept in a fenced lot.

2) That the dog be on a leash when outside the fenced lot.

3) That they be given a permission to come and inspect the conditions AFTER we acquired the dog, at various times.

We told them to Bugger Off.   I don't know what ever happened to the unhappy dogs that they were keeping in THEIR tiny lots; they probably euthanized them.   We eventually went to a local breeder who had one male puppy left out of the last litter, and Jack has been living with us for 5 years and hopefully happily ever after.

Yes, I know they have to protect the dogs from the many partly-insane humans who want to project their insanity onto the dogs, and end up in a house with 50 dogs living in horrible conditions.   But they SHOULD have a little common sense, and they didn't, not here ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2015, 06:21:03 PM »
Bottom line, is dogs and cats need good homes, and many of us have them, lets make it work.

We WANTED to make it work, we really did.   Fay and I have the ability to bring a mistreated dog back to normalcy (whatever that is for a Border Collie), and to treat him as one of the family.

But the "rescue" organizations were unyielding, rule-bound, pharisaical, "by the book" jobsworths, and we just couldn't do business with them without lying and signing things that we knew we wouldn't do ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline segesta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2015, 06:25:36 PM »
Strictly following rules allows people the luxury of not using their brains. If you don't use judgement, then you can't get in trouble.

See also: suspending a 6 year old for bringing a plastic knife to cut his lunch with. College campus sex rules that basically make sex illegal in all cases. A perfectly good dog not getting a perfectly good owner, namely the OP.

Welcome to 2014 2015, guys.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:24:50 PM by segesta »
--
2014 Moto Guzzi California 1400 Custom
2013 Ducati Monster 796
2010 BMW K1300GT

Online travelingbyguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • God hates a coward
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2015, 07:02:42 PM »
Several years ago, my brother went to an animal shelter in Jonesboro AR to look for a dog for my dad. Now, my dad lives on 160 acres of hardwood forest and pastureland- about  half and half.
It is surely dog heaven.
The shelter said no adoption unless the animal is kept penned or caged. Tobit, it sounds ridiculous and to you and me it is. My sister eventually found an appropriate dog at a shelter in L. I was surprised that they let her have it after she disclosed that he administered the various vaccinations himself!
My wife and I had a few discussions early on about letting the cat roam. I said let her roam. It is a quality of life issue.
I would rather be free but 'at risk' than safely tucked away in a cage.
73 Eldorado
80 Sp
85 Cal II
97 1100Sport
08 1200 Sport AKA:Sweet Leaf
I'm not really drowning; I can see the beach from here.

Offline bratman2

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2015, 07:07:12 PM »
So let me get this straight. Fenced in backyard bad, outside bad, euthanized okay!!

We have a 80# German Shepard. She follows basic German commands. Stays outside when we work, in our three acre spread, 175 yards off the road. Have worked hard with her to stay in the yard and she does pretty good to the best of my knowledge. She sleeps inside every night. Brushed daily and two baths a month. She even has her own Italian leather chair, lol!! Guess we are bad masters.
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2015, 07:17:29 PM »
There is an easy solution to your problem.  If you are concerned with someone from the Society coming to visit and inspect your pet ownership behavior, don't adopt a dog.  Instead, go find a pet/dog you like.  Have your friend or family go get the pet/dog and bring it home.  Go pick the dog up from your friend or family member.  If anyone questions the friend or family member regarding the pet/dog, have them tell the Society that they could not take care of the pet/dog and gave it away to someone who could.  Problem solved.  Enjoy you new dog. 

Offline LeRoy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2015, 07:45:45 PM »
Tobit:

Have another kid. The authorities ask fewer questions, you can raise them as you please and it's all-around easier to get started. There are downsides though...
LeRoy (Bob Sharp)
Rochester, MI  U.S.A.
'86 LM 1000 (since new in '86)
'79 V1000 G5 (as of '08 and since sold)
'76 V1000 Convert (since Nov. 09)
'83 1000SP (as of Oct. 15)

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2015, 08:01:31 PM »
Not all people are good so there are rules to try and prevent the bad ones from getting a dog.

A properly sized crate is not a cage but is a den to the dog. It has to be snug without being too small, and if larger than that, will seem to be a cage.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Erwin8r

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 08:23:32 PM »
Not all people are good so there are rules to try and prevent the bad ones from getting a dog.

A properly sized crate is not a cage but is a den to the dog. It has to be snug without being too small, and if larger than that, will seem to be a cage.

Dunno, Rboe.  Seems to me you lose hundred of good potential owners in order to filter out "the bad one," and many more dogs get executed than adopted.  I know, because my situation was very similar to some of those above.  We wound up buying our American Bull Dog from a private party and never looked back.  It's too bad because there were people in line to get my dog, versus the poor doggies that met their fate at the local "Humane" Society.

I understand the need to try and weed out the riff raff--but they have gone too far.  My .02

omaho5

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 08:25:49 PM »
You are correct. The world is nuts. The dame at Humane is worse. My dogs have a large fenced in area and can stay comfortable in their shelters
down to freezing. Wind protection is important.
The crating of a dog for long periods of time IS cruel.
My dogs are GSD's. We live in central NH. not the tropics.

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 08:29:50 PM »
  I wonder if maybe some of the people working in those places maybe prefer to put down as many as they can.
 Probably think they are doing the world a favor.  Or maybe they market them to laboratories or dog fighters as practice animals.
 Then if you ask where that dog is that you saw yesterday, you are told it was put down.
  Suspicious old bastard I am.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline bad Chad

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 08:34:31 PM »
Strictly following rules allows people the luxury of not using their brains. If you don't use judgement, then you can't get in trouble.

See also: suspending a 6 year old for bringing a plastic knife to cut his lunch with. College campus sex rules that basically make sex illegal in all cases. A perfectly good dog not getting a perfectly good owner, namely the OP.

Welcome to 2014, guys.

I think I get where you are coming from brother, I feel that way too at times, but it's not that simple in reality.   And just for fun, I get to remind you that 2014 has gone into the books!
2016 CSC 250TT Zongshen
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 08:48:07 PM »
Both of my dogs are kennell trained but I wouldn't keep them in the box for more than a few hours at a time. They like thier kennels and stay in thel all the time with the door open. Dogs are den animals, a properly sized kennell is is a welcome refuge to a dog that's used to one.

I do however think the humane society is nuts for making "rules" for dog ownership.I know the dog would have a better home with you instead of getting the needle.

Seen the needle and the damage done...............
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

hammick

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 09:04:33 PM »
Our lab loves lounging on our bed during the winter and being the squirrel and bird police in the back yard during Spring, Summer and Fall.  She is just fine left alone in the house for hours or just as fine left alone in fenced back yard.  She sleeps with us every night and is a pretty good guard dog (although she would lick anyone who actually broke in).  She hasn't been in her crate since she was a puppy.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 09:53:49 PM »
It is mind boggling that a crate is considered better than a fenced yard. And it is more mind boggling that this person said "her dogs are alright with it". And just how did they tell her they were OK with a cramped crate all day?
We had multiple cat rescue services deny us a cat because we have a border collie. They said border collies are aggressive towards cats. I said this is my 3rd border collie and all of them got along just fine with cats. The cat people are just as nutty as the dog people. We also were not allowed the every let our cats outside. So our cat door was a no no. So we found a good no kill shelter that understood dogs and cats can live in harmony with each other as well as with humans and that going outside for cats is just fine. Except of course when the bring snakes, mice and rabbits back into the house and play with them. The snakes are the scary part. I found one cat playing with an immature timber rattler on day. Thank goodness I got it before the cat brought it in the house never mind the snake bitting the cat. Now my border collie got it good from a copperhead one day playing ball in the yard. He ran right over the snake and got nailed in the rear leg. Never new what hit him he was too focused on the ball. I suppose I am inhuman for playing with my dog where there are venomous snakes. 
These people real are cruel to animals and are clueless.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 10:01:57 PM »
My niece who is a veterinarian was not able to adopt a dog from a rescue group for the same reason - she might leave the dog outside during the day IF it was a pretty day.

My dogs would go nuts if they were crated for 10 hours every day.  That is cruel and inhumane, but unfortunately, that's the rule for "rescue" groups and many "humane" societies these days.  No pets outside, even in a fenced yard!

By the way, my niece ended up adopting from another rescue group and her dog is now 13 years old and still doing GREAT, even though it has to stay outside some.  :)  Even my old blind 16 year old min pin will find her way out through the doggy door and into the backyard and lay in the sunshine, even when it's cold.

Beaver
MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

Offline Beaver

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 10:10:52 PM »
There is an easy solution to your problem.  If you are concerned with someone from the Society coming to visit and inspect your pet ownership behavior, don't adopt a dog.  Instead, go find a pet/dog you like.  Have your friend or family go get the pet/dog and bring it home.  Go pick the dog up from your friend or family member.  If anyone questions the friend or family member regarding the pet/dog, have them tell the Society that they could not take care of the pet/dog and gave it away to someone who could.  Problem solved.  Enjoy you new dog. 

That doesn't work either because most of the contracts you sign will say you must return the dog to the shelter or rescuer if for some reason you can not or do not want to keep the dog.  They could file charges against you if you sell the dog or give it away!
MGNOC TX Rep
Lindale, TX

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 05:28:08 AM »
Some think it's ok and even proper to treat dogs like prisoners.I don't . A trained and well behaved dog is a pleasure, that's an owners responsibility. It's a wonder more dogs don't go insane.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:50:14 AM by john A »
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 05:57:00 AM »
From the American Humane Society website:
Crating philosophy

Crate training uses a dog's natural instincts as a den animal. A wild dog's den is his home, a place to sleep, hide from danger, and raise a family. The crate becomes your dog's den, an ideal spot to snooze or take refuge during a thunderstorm.
The primary use for a crate is housetraining. Dogs don't like to soil their dens.
The crate can limit access to the rest of the house while he learns other rules, like not to chew on furniture.
Crates are a safe way to transport your dog in the car.

Crating caution!

A crate isn't a magical solution. If not used correctly, a dog can feel trapped and frustrated.
Never use the crate as a punishment. Your dog will come to fear it and refuse to enter it.
Don't leave your dog in the crate too long.  A dog that’s crated day and night doesn't get enough exercise or human interaction and can become depressed or anxious. You may have to change your schedule, hire a pet sitter, or take your dog to a doggie daycare facility to reduce the amount of time he must spend in his crate every day.
Puppies under six months of age shouldn't stay in a crate for more than three or four hours at a time. They can't control their bladders and bowels for that long.  The same goes for adult dogs that are being housetrained.  Physically, they can hold it, but they don’t know they’re supposed to.
Crate your dog only until you can trust him not to destroy the house. After that, it should be a place he goes voluntarily.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 05:57:49 AM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Damnyankee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 06:10:26 AM »
Y'all can flame away if you like but rules for adoption are in the animals best interest. We've rescued many dogs for lots of different reasons and leaving a dog outside when nobody is home is not a good idea for lots of reasons. As some of you have pointed out, the world has gone nuts. We treat our dog and cats as members of the family, our kids if you like, if you can't do that, don't bother adopting. If you'd like a list of reasons why your pet should not be left alone outside, I'd be happy to respond.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here