Author Topic: Went to the humane society for a dog... left confused.  (Read 25455 times)

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Went to the humane society for a dog... left confused.
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2015, 12:37:35 PM »
Another consideration is that some dogs should not be 'rescued'.  Some animals in the HS BELONG there.  They have character problems or health issues that make them unsuitable for general society. 

When I was a kid our farm was the final stop for all sorts of psychotic, malsocialized, dna-deficient animals from Banty roosters to plow horses, mostly thanks to my sister, who could be late for school on account of rescuing worms from puddles on the long walk in. 

I was once chased not just into, but across a lake by a pair of deranged Shetland ponies (the nastiest of the ponies).  These fellas were 'rescued' from a travelling carnival and a life of giving kiddie rides in a circle at the end of a long pole.  They hated children, circles, and poles.  Before we gave up on them they'd bitten, kicked, thrown, and stomped everyone but mom.  When dad would threaten to end the tyranny, we'd plead for their lives -- we knew what 'rendering' is. 

As we grew up and the ponies began threatening our dates and stomping bicycles we finally conceded the war and had them hauled off.  The less ornery one for some goofy reason got yet another reprieve, probably because it was too mean to die.  I was in my 20s when it finally did, which means the pony was pushing 30 or better. 

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2015, 12:52:13 PM »
There are breeds that are real good for that.  Others, not so much.  Working dogs such as Australian Shepherds and Blue Healers excel at this.

Some high-energy dogs and aggressive dogs are rarely good for this.

And of course one must have the sort of dog one must have, regardless of the suitability of the breed or personal circumstances, so there you go.  I'm just saying, cruel is the rule, when it comes to dog ownership, and the fact that they slobber all over you with gratitude when you pay them a little attention doesn't prove otherwise.  Dogs ought to have a trade union.

Offline Damnyankee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2015, 06:36:11 AM »
My take on all this is quite simple.  The HS is the last hope for these dogs before being put down.  They should encourage adoption and make it much easier or the dogs are put to death.  Beyond simple basic questions and hoops to jump through (more to educate the adopter of what to expect in dog ownership and what's to be expected), the need to get these dogs out of there is greater than the need to make sure every home is perfect to their standards.  The bad homes still won't outweigh the death of these animals that never find a home.  If they never put dogs down than I'm full of hot air.

Uh...no. There are people that make a habit of adopting dogs, some are hoarders, some are abusers, some are dog fighting promoters, some adopt to keep their kid happy for a few minutes and then when they find out it requires work to care for a pet the pet is neglected or abused. Nobody wants to see innocent animals euthanized but sometimes it's a better option than the animal being in the hands of irresponsible idiots.

We've rescued many dogs that were from idiots that were allowed to adopt by less than reputable shelters and Walmart parking lot hawkers.

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »
Uh...no. There are people that make a habit of adopting dogs, some are hoarders, some are abusers, some are dog fighting promoters, some adopt to keep their kid happy for a few minutes and then when they find out it requires work to care for a pet the pet is neglected or abused. Nobody wants to see innocent animals euthanized but sometimes it's a better option than the animal being in the hands of irresponsible idiots.

We've rescued many dogs that were from idiots that were allowed to adopt by less than reputable shelters and Walmart parking lot hawkers.

Ok Tobit, there you go!  You are a loser that deserves no pet. A true abuser and hoarder. I guess you have been found out.  :winer
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2015, 01:13:50 PM »

Offline Damnyankee

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2015, 01:54:09 PM »
Ok Tobit, there you go!  You are a loser that deserves no pet. A true abuser and hoarder. I guess you have been found out.  :winer

Hmmm..just re-read my post to see if I owe Tobit an apology.........uh, nope. Rules set up by HS and many other shelters are there for good reasons, I don't think they're designed just for Tobit, the rules are in place to protect the animals. No need to be sarcastic, these are things I've learned after many years doing animal rescue. Do you think there should be no rules in place for adoption or just let anyone that walks in off the street adopt without showing they're prepared to care for a pet or was your response because of too many of these  :BEER: ?

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »
As stated before, I think very basic rules should be stated so that these animals can get the heck out of the "Dead animal walking" penetantery. If this means a few won't be sufficiently cared for for the many that are, so be it. Tobit is one that would and now he's not good enough. Funny how both he and a dog on death row lose.

Too many rules= too many exclusions= too many deaths
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:08:58 PM by kevdog3019 »
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline donn

• Gaggle Hero
  • The thing is, I do want a pickle.
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »
If this means a few won't be sufficiently cared for for the many that are, so be it.

Your confidence in the basic goodness of human nature is refreshing, but my theory is that the problem with this kind of thing is that this basic goodness is powerful enough to draw people to the shelter to rescue a dog, when it often isn't strong enough to keep them on track with the dog once they have it.  Hoarders are a classic case of this, they see themselves as rescuers of their animals and it's impossible to convince them otherwise, and the difference between a hard core hoarder and the more average unsuitable owner is just a matter of degree.  That, and the percentage of people with zero goodness is higher than we'd like to believe, e.g., dog fighting guys who are down there looking for "bait" dogs.

Offline Muley

• Gaggle Hero
  • A good day is when nothing breaks
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2015, 08:54:47 PM »
I think it's inhumane to keep any dog in a house - period!
"My mind makes appointments my body can't keep"

Geographic Center of Georgia, a few miles from Jeffersonville

Q:  What is that ?
A:   It's a Moto Guzzi.

Q:   Is it fast ?
A:   No, 'bout like a Harley.

www.georgiapecan.or g

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2015, 09:07:35 PM »
  I once saw a kid with a box of just weaned pups and a sign that said, "fresh delicious puppies 50 cents a pound.
  I think he got rid of them all that day.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: February 01, 2015, 12:22:19 PM »
Here is a great link about homesteading in the wilderness with dogs. It's well done and these people take care of there animals.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/remote-homesteading-with-dogs-zbcz1311.aspx
They have 3 German shepherds and do not take any chances.
To quote:
"We have a 1600 square foot fenced in back yard for our dogs with a fence that is 6 feet high. Even then our dogs are not allowed in the back yard without one of us being out there with them".
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2015, 04:05:58 PM »
Here's our shelter dog. Had her since Oct. and she is an awesome character!

yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »
When I read this stuff about the dogs on the freeway and that one with the broken legs it makes me sick.

Its 1974 or 75 and I am driving a propane truck for Thermogas. I cover the farm lands about a 30 mile radius around Effingham (arm pit of the midwest) Illinois. I am on I-57 headed back to the shop to refill. Up ahead I see cars slowing down and an injured dog laying in the middle of the interstate moving around and trying to get up.  On the side of the road is another dog; a friend no doubt trying desperately trying to reach its injured companion. It would step out into the lane only to be chased back by speeding oncoming traffic.
I pull my delivery truck over. I manage to get the injured dog off he highway and into the cab.  I cannot gather in the other dog as it is frightened and runs from me.
I could have taken the dog back to Effingham, about 15 miles away but I know the countryside like the back of my hand. I look and and reference the side roads and houses from the interstate. I see some country homes down a dead end road not far off the interstate.  So off I head to the next exit and find my way back to the most likely home of this dog. I easily find my way to the road and the homes that were only a short distance from the interstate but it took country roads to get there.
Amazingly I find the owner of the dog. He says yes that is mine. Looks no good to me anymore. I'm gonna take em out back and shoot em. I was devastated. My good deed turning into the death of a perfectly viable dog. I drove back to town depressed and saddened.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2015, 04:39:10 PM »

Its 1974 or 75 and I am driving a propane truck for Thermogas. I cover the farm lands about a 30 mile radius around Effingham (arm pit of the midwest) Illinois. I am on I-57 headed back to the shop to refill. Up ahead I see cars slowing down and an injured dog laying in the middle of the interstate moving around and trying to get up.  On the side of the road is another dog; a friend no doubt trying desperately trying to reach its injured companion. It would step out into the lane only to be chased back by speeding oncoming traffic.
I pull my delivery truck over. I manage to get the injured dog off he highway and into the cab.  I cannot gather in the other dog as it is frightened and runs from me.
I could have taken the dog back to Effingham, about 15 miles away but I know the countryside like the back of my hand. I look and and reference the side roads and houses from the interstate. I see some country homes down a dead end road not far off the interstate.  So off I head to the next exit and find my way back to the most likely home of this dog. I easily find my way to the road and the homes that were only a short distance from the interstate but it took country roads to get there.
Amazingly I find the owner of the dog. He says yes that is mine. Looks no good to me anymore. I'm gonna take em out back and shoot em. I was devastated. My good deed turning into the death of a perfectly viable dog. I drove back to town depressed and saddened.

That sort of thing is why I don't "look for the owner" of a dog found on the road, injured or not, any more.

The likely chance is either that:

1) They'll do like yours did and just shoot it if it's a hunting or fighting dog, ie an "appliance".

2) They'll rave and scream at you and the other drivers on the road and threaten to call the cops for hurting or killing their precious little Princess that wouldn't hurt a flea.

The fact of the matter is that anyone who would let their dog be in a situation where the dog would run out into traffic should not be allowed to have a dog.   It's like letting your two-year-old run around out the highway without paying attention to it.

I'll take an abandoned dog to a vet or shelter, not to the "owner".   They can come pick it up if they like.  Sure, a dog can get away by accident if the underground invisible fence is cut or he digs his way out, etc.   But that's not the usual situation, especially around here.   Dogs run loose in the road - if they get killed, well it was just a dog, plenty more where that came from .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here