Author Topic: Square motor makover, rounding of the fins?  (Read 15581 times)

Offline guzzista

• Gaggle Hero
Square motor makover, rounding of the fins?
« on: January 27, 2015, 10:36:35 AM »
Maybe y'all have seen this already, but here it goes anyway http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p7710_eckigen-motor-rundfraesen.html&XTCsid=2f67de9baee5017c778a81e19f990c55 ...., almost forgot.... let the snapping of the suspenders begin
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 03:00:42 PM by guzzista »
1975 750S Tribute bike, 1994 Cali 1100, 2007 Ducati GT1000, 1983 SP1000, 1973 V7Sport project, 2017 California1400 Touring

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Square motor makover, rounding of the fins?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 10:43:34 AM »
Was thinking of doing something similar to the Cal II engine that's going into my '72 Ambo sidecar tug. Already have the rocker cover adapters.
Charlie

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 12:21:50 PM »
So for a mere $700 you can have an engine cosmetically altered to cool less efficiently and also not look right as either a square or round fin . . . ? 

POLL:

O  I'm excited

O  What's the point?

O  What's a euro?

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 12:37:59 PM »
So for a mere $700 you can have an engine cosmetically altered to cool less efficiently and also not look right as either a square or round fin . . . ? 

POLL:

O  I'm excited

O  What's the point?

O  What's a euro?

Well, for me, it's an attempt at making the engine less ugly.  ~; Rounding off a few edges isn't going to significantly reduce cooling efficiency, there's still more fin area than a round-fin engine. Won't cost me a thing, just an hour or so of time.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 12:37:59 PM »

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 12:54:34 PM »
Oh, if a guy's going to chuck them up on a potter's wheel and hold an angle grinder to the fins as they go 'round I can see it -- no cost and gets attention.  It would probably go well on a hard-tail bob job.  It's paying the cost of new jugs to do counterproductive cosmetic aberrations to an old set that makes me go hmmmmmm.  The irony (find yourself a pun, if it's there) is that the only folks who would notice the mod are the ones you wouldn't want noticing.

Back when powdercoating was a new thing, a shop in my area was doing 'fuzzy frames'.  Basically, a long grain powder was applied and left a coating that looked and felt like velvet.  I had a BSA plunger frame done in fuzzy and proudly assembled the bike around it.  My brother dropped by, fingered a frame tube and asked "You PAID for this?  Money?"

crafty

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 01:36:19 PM »
While it is hardly unanimous, there are many of us who feel the squared off styling that started with the LM 3 was unfortunate and only got worse as the years went by. There are only so many high performance round head engines to go around at ever increasing prices. If an owner wants to create his dream bike and soften the corners of his cylinders and heads and pop on a pair of round head valve covers I say go for it. A  few of the Caffe Machine bikes got this treatment and it looks great-more graceful (to my eyes) than a square head and a bit more brutal than a round head.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 01:43:12 PM »
Charlie, are you able to do the rounding of the fins yourself? I think its a cool thing, makes for a much more attractive looking engine, and in a loop frame bike, it will just look "right" . It actually reminds me of the way the cylinders and heads look on the new V 7 smallblocks.  Looking forward to seeing pics of the new Ambo, with that mod done to it.
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 01:52:27 PM »
I'd consider it. Not much of a fan of the old squared off cylinders. I bought a Griso instead. :)

But the results presented look good though.
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 02:06:45 PM »
Industrial art.  I like it.  But then, I like CZs with half their fins shaved completely off.

Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 03:53:51 PM »
Charlie, are you able to do the rounding of the fins yourself? I think its a cool thing, makes for a much more attractive looking engine, and in a loop frame bike, it will just look "right" . It actually reminds me of the way the cylinders and heads look on the new V 7 smallblocks.  Looking forward to seeing pics of the new Ambo, with that mod done to it.
Rick.

I should be able to. If not, I'll just forget it. Mine probably won't be quite as "rounded off" as the ones shown on HMB. Just a little to smooth the angles.

I wasn't even planning to use the Cal II engine, but a low-mileage one "fell in my lap" for $200.
Charlie

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 01:48:15 PM »
As stated in a similar context earlier I might be vain enough for this cosmetic surgery.
There's a lot of €€€ involved though....   :o
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 02:14:11 PM »
Maybe y'all have seen this already, but here it goes anyway http://www.hmb-guzzi.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p7710_eckigen-motor-rundfraesen.html&XTCsid=2f67de9baee5017c778a81e19f990c55 ...., almost forgot.... let the snapping of the suspenders begin

I kind of like it...    :BEER:
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2015, 02:29:45 PM »
I think a little bit of rounding looks good.

Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2015, 02:55:57 PM »

That looks fantastic IMHO. "softening" the square parts is all thats needed.
Rick.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2015, 03:04:06 PM »
I should be able to. If not, I'll just forget it. Mine probably won't be quite as "rounded off" as the ones shown on HMB. Just a little to smooth the angles.

I wasn't even planning to use the Cal II engine, but a low-mileage one "fell in my lap" for $200.

Charlie, I think a loop tug with a "rounded" 1000cc engine wil be awesome! Im looking forward to seeing how that project turns out. :pop

what method, do you plan to use to round the fins?  rodekyll's potter wheel method sound funny, and Im sure he was just joking, but in the right hands, with a sufficiently skilled "artisan" I guess it could be done, but would require tons of patience, and careful removal of alloy.

Hows about taking it to "the next level" and do those "diamond cut" fins like on the high end choppers? ;D

Im surprised one of the customizers in europe has not done this to a Guzzi  already!
Rick.

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 03:31:58 PM »

Very nice.   ;-T
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 03:40:36 PM »
Yes, I was trying for a funny with the potter's wheel idea, but when you think about it, if a guy got it centered to the fins (as opposed to the center of the spigot) spinning it against a grinding wheel might work.

I'm not anti-fin rounding.  To me it's a personal style detail, and I'm all about whittling on stuff to make it look the way I want it to.  My objection was to spending the money they're asking for the mod.  I'm not sure of the current exchange rate, but I ballpark the euro at twice the dollar.  Add round-way shipping across the pond and you've spent as much as a new kit.  IMO, that's way out of range for purely cosmetic surgery.

Offline Pancake

• Gosling
    • www.dominicsnow.com
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 04:15:50 PM »
The Euro and Dollar are quite close in value.

I put round head rockers T3 style on my square fin engine and I love the look of it, I will get round to doing the fins some day. The roundness of the rockers is also a lot less of a pain to hit, or even rub, with your knees.

I'd been wondering how to do this and what I'd thought would be to make a former out of ply and use this as a marking guide on each successive fin. Each fin would be crudely cut with an angle grinder and trimmed with a Dremel. Once they are all done  the whole lot can be smoothed with a sander.

It wouldn't be too hard to do that reasonably well.
May all beings be happy

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 04:43:41 PM »
Here is a detail shot of the rounded heads on the cafe racer above. The builder is John Willet in the UK. If you do a search on Moto Nero, you can find his blog.

Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 05:41:36 PM »
I hate to say it but I kinda like it too.  I also like the black engine.  When I over haul the bike I may have to do both.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »

POLL:

O  I'm excited

O  What's the point?

O  What's a euro?

I go for what's the point unless you really want a high HP square fine engine that other wise will not fit in the frame I see this as a waste of money. I also think the looks are mediocre.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 10:43:18 PM »
I smell a deal in the offing!  I want to add fins to the rear fenders of my 2004 Buick LeSabre so it looks like the early '60s models.  If any of you who want to mill fins from your square heads (on your bikes, that is) please contact me.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 11:05:26 PM »
Still doesn't look like a round head. I could take it or leave it.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline brightonguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 11:10:42 AM »
My LMV engine has been rounded off, I think it looks much nicer.

I have some old round rocker covers and adapter plate to go on, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Excuse the crappy photo!

Le Mans V Special
Moto Guzzi Club GB member 2005

Offline Late to the party

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 11:27:33 AM »
Okay, so we've got the usual division of opinions:

(1) Those who like idea, and will tell you why. (2) Those who don't like the idea, and who will tell you why it sucks.

Attention those who don't like the idea: Thank you for your opinion. You're excused.

Those who DO like the idea of softening the fins on a square-fin big block: How about we focus on how to trim the fins such that (a) we achieve the desired aesthetic, without (b) diminishing the cooling effect or (c) breaking anything expensive.

You have my undivided attention. Go ahead.

Lateness.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 11:48:20 AM »
Here is a detail shot of the rounded heads on the cafe racer above. The builder is John Willet in the UK. If you do a search on Moto Nero, you can find his blog.

I'll bet a "fin job" like that would look good with the rounded, organic lines of my Sport 1100 !!

The guards kind of mask the angled cut of the fins.  I've never really liked the angled cut the fins have.

Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Late to the party

• Gosling
  • 1987 1000 SP2
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 12:06:14 PM »
I'll bet a "fin job" like that would look good with the rounded, organic lines of my Sport 1100 !!

The guards kind of mask the angled cut of the fins.  I've never really liked the angled cut the fins have.

A softening of the fins would, as you noted, look really nice.

Wonder if a 12" bench mount disk sander, with the work table adjusted to approximate the angle of the fins, would do the job?

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 12:59:20 PM »
I would think that a EFI EV engine with the rounded fins and the round head valve covers in an early Tonti frame would be the CAT's Pajamas.

If I had the funds I'd get someone to do that for me.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 01:20:23 PM »
Interesting discussion.   ;D  When I like round fins.  I take out the hack.  ;-T  I like square fins.  I take out the other bike.  My preference is the rounded look though.  :-*
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 02:12:51 PM »

Photo shop it first and see how it looks. I think the lines on the "square engine" are visually appealing on all Tonti frame Guzzis not to mention all the lines on the engine and tranny also fit with the lines on the modern big block Tonti. 
Red 90 Mille GT

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here