Author Topic: When is a Rally Not-A-Rally?  (Read 7478 times)

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
When is a Rally Not-A-Rally?
« on: March 05, 2015, 07:52:25 PM »
Having been to neither but sensing the rising excitement of the weather-bound:  what's the difference between the two?

I've been a casual rider at best but have been doing more of it lately and you never know...

And a thank you to the folks who helped me with my initial post several months ago:  a bad starter on a brand-new V7 Special.  The dealer had me back on the road in a flash (cannibalism may have been involved) and I've been having a great time ever since.

(edited 'cause I don't know what I was thinking re: model)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 10:02:49 AM by Rhodan »

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: When is a Rally Not-A-Rally?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2015, 08:01:06 PM »
Rally typically involves months/weeks of planning, scheduling, etc. and culminates with a good campfire and at the end somebody is to blame for the relative success or lack thereof. not a rally same effort same results but in the end nobody knows for sure who to blame.
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2015, 08:02:19 PM »
 Rhodan , in practice there is no real difference between an NAR and an official rally . NAR = not officially sanctioned by MGNOC .

Dusty

Edit , what Delrod said  :D

« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:04:12 PM by oldbike54 »

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 08:10:27 PM »
Well Rhodie, a rally has wonderful things like long distance awards, rally pins, organization, and stuff like that. Good people have to work and plan, and probably fork over a bunch of sheckles in advance.

A N.A.R. is a place you ride to and meet up with a bunch of like minded people, camp, kick tires, tell lies, maybe have a cold one or two and ride back home.

They can both be a pretty good time.

Just my take,

JS
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2015, 08:10:27 PM »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 08:14:22 PM »
What Delrod and Dusty and John said.

Plus, rallies usually have a fee that includes meals, camping, and sometimes music.  Mo-Kan is a really good example of a non-MGNOC Guzzi rally.  The State MGNOC rallies are like that, too.  A fee covers your camping, some meals, some entertainment, etc.  Plus awards and swag.  Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Virginia are some notable examples.

A "not a rally" is usually a gathering that happens.  No fee, no food, no entertainment, except what is brought by attendees.  The people who attend are on their own for camping/motel reservations.  

The cool thing about not a rallies is that there is usually some good food and entertainment.  And there are usually several options for group rides.  A not a rally is what you make it, and the ones I've been to have been great fun.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:15:25 PM by rocker59 »
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 08:19:38 PM »
What Delrod and Dusty and John said.

Plus, rallies usually have a fee that includes meals, camping, and sometimes music.  Mo-Kan is a really good example of a non-MGNOC Guzzi rally.  The State MGNOC rallies are like that, too.  A fee covers your camping, some meals, some entertainment, etc.  Plus awards and swag.  Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Virginia are some notable examples.

A "not a rally" is usually a gathering that happens.  No fee, no food, no entertainment, except what is brought by attendees.  The people who attend are on their own for camping/motel reservations. 

The cool thing about not a rallies is that there is usually some good food and entertainment.  And there are usually several options for group rides.  A not a rally is what you make it, and the ones I've been to have been great fun.

MO-KAN & Wisc. "notable examples?" How'bout P-A-R-T-Y????   WOOOO HOOOOO!!!! :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER: :BEER:

Offline Rhodan

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 08:24:10 PM »
Thanks for the definitions official and un    ;-T

I'm in Washington (the state not the cap.) but I know Oregon has some events (in fact, I see something down the page that I'm going to check out next) and I wouldn't be surprised if WA does as well.

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 08:37:28 PM »
Thanks for the definitions official and un    ;-T

I'm in Washington (the state not the cap.) but I know Oregon has some events (in fact, I see something down the page that I'm going to check out next) and I wouldn't be surprised if WA does as well.

I'm sure you'll meet some good old boys @ either one, go and have fun!

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 08:44:20 PM »
In a nutshell a not a rally is just not as structured. The June Kansas rally has gone from the poster child of a "rally" to more of a semi-rally due to a number of reasons. The April Kansas Cedarvale rally sounds like the poster child of a
"not a rally". Just cool that the Kansas can support both and participants seem to enjoy both as far as I can tell.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 09:27:25 PM »
Both Washington & Oregon have very active MGNOC (MotoGuzzi NationalOwnersClub) members and put on weekend monthly breakfasts, both state & National rallies, campouts and are always fun to attend.  Rallies are cheaper than NARs and you get more for your $, meet a lot more other riders @ the same time.   Contact Wash. rep. rtguthrie4@msn.com for more info.  ;)

oldbike54

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 09:46:09 PM »
 Wayne , how are rallies that charge a fee cheaper than an NAR that doesn't any cheaper . Delrod and I feed folks at Cedar Vale and only ask for a small donation . Last year the Okie camp out fell to us also , no one went hungry .

Dusty

Online Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 09:55:20 PM »
Wayne , how are rallies that charge a fee cheaper than an NAR that doesn't any cheaper . Delrod and I feed folks at Cedar Vale and only ask for a small donation . Last year the Okie camp out fell to us also , no one went hungry .

Dusty

We fed total strangers @ the Okiepalooza. Well, they weren't TOTAL strangers. (Hank Kimball content) AND left the camp host with grocerys

oldbike54

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 10:00:11 PM »
We fed total strangers @ the Okiepalooza. Well, they weren't TOTAL strangers. (Hank Kimball content) AND left the camp host with grocerys

True . That young fella from Dallas on the Honda , and a hiker or two  :D Plus the cats, raccoons , and a few dogs at CV  :D They didn't get charged anything  :BEER:

Dusty

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »

Dusty

The NARs I have been to you get nothing for free.   Everything you consume comes out of your pocket, so you get what you pay for.  Since there is no script of how to put a NAR on, they differ.  Most out West are really a gathering @ X motel and a ride together, dinner together, all paid for by you.  

Rallies are different.  Your small fee includes meals, a place to tent, door prizes, official meeting, badges, and a lot more people 50-500.

To each their own preference.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 10:59:49 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 11:10:06 PM »
Cost  is not the issue if it were there wouldn't be Rallys or NARs.  The folks that organize them spend hours planning and hosting  and cover costs out of their own pockets with no guarantee  that they will recoup the cash they have advanced.  They host out of the goodness of their hearts for the good of the group.  

If you attend, donate to the cause by playing the 50/50, bringing some food or beverages, helping out with camp chores, providing a door prize or slipping a few bucks into the donation jar even at rallys that charge a fee.  Your efforts will be noticed and appreciated.

Introduce yourself to the organizers and enjoy the activities.  You'll find that most Guzzisti are easy to get along with and in general we welcome new friends.  Once you attend a Rally/NAR you'll find yourself looking forward to the next one.  It's a great way to spend a long weekend.

"The NARS I have been to you get nothing for free"

What value can one put on the comraderie and fellowship of your fellow Guzzi riders.

Like Dusty said NO ONE goes hungry.

Dave
Galveston
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:21:48 PM by davedel44 »
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

oldbike54

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 11:14:45 PM »

The NARs I have been to you get nothing for free.   Everything you consume comes out of your pocket, so you get what you pay for.  Since there is no script of how to put a NAR on, they differ.  Most out West are really a gathering @ X motel and a ride together, dinner together, all paid for by you.  

Rallies are different.  Your small fee includes meals, a place to tent, door prizes, official meeting, badges, and a lot more people 50-500.

To each their own preference.  ;D

You need to attend one of our NARs out here in fly over country . 2 and 3 day events , we feed dinner at least twice , usually provide something for a morning meal , snacks , and a nice place to camp . ALL I might add for a small donation . We make a little sometimes , lose a little sometimes . Yeah , no pins or plaques , no one seems to mind . Dang , at the Arkansas NAR last year David and Colleen did an amazing job . David brought me a very nice Pacifico Aerofoil , and none other than our own Luap helped David and I mount it on my bike . FREE .

Dusty
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:19:26 PM by oldbike54 »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 11:19:27 PM »
You need to attend one of our NARs out here in fly over country . 2 and 3 day events , we feed dinner at least twice , usually provide something for a morning meal , snacks , and a nice place to camp . ALL I might add for a small donation . We make a little sometimes , lose a little sometimes . Yeah , no pins or plaques , no one seems to mind .

Dusty

I like the goings on @ your NARs more than what's out here.  ;)   When I get to a campout, NAR, or rally I plant myself.   All my riding is to & fro home.  :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 11:20:07 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline davedel44

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 11:34:14 PM »
Night John Boy ;D

Looking ford to clear skies and warmer temps tomorrow.

Dave
Galveston
Bambino- 2013 V7 Stone

oldbike54

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 11:36:49 PM »
Night John Boy ;D

Looking ford to clear skies and warmer temps tomorrow.

Dave
Galveston

Good night my brother from another mother  :) :)

Dusty

Orange Guzzi

« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2015, 10:55:02 AM »
I am having a "Not A Rally" in the Hoosier National Forest in Southern Indiana this summer.  I will be renting the group camp site for 1 week.  Detail to follow.  The park does not open until mid April and I cannot get details.  The participates will be all that show up.  There will be people from the Louisville Vintage Motorcycle Group, Moto Guzzi riders and VJMC members.  It will be a bring your own everything rally.  Come and stay, come and ride. 

Offline Mark West

• Gaggle Hero
  • Get Lost.... it's good for you!
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 11:44:35 AM »
My definition of a Not A Rally is that nobody has any responsibility for anyone else, i.e. everyone is responsible for getting themselves there, having a place to stay, food to eat, etc. that's about it really.
Mark West
Hollister, CA
MGNOC L-752

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2015, 11:48:46 AM »
not a rally same effort same results but in the end nobody knows for sure who to blame.

That's it....
  ~;

I call mine in Georgia a 'campout'. It is a 'not a rally'.
Typically, a rally has some level of organization. They often have door prizes, a sign up sheet. They may or may not handle the money for camping and food. They often have ride sheets, etc. You are to blame if you don't have a good time, but there is someone that you can point to and blame.
A NAR, or campout, you just show up. You handle the camping fee yourself. You often must plan any rides or food yourself. Though usually others have good suggestions so you can usually 'follow a leader'. Basically, you are to blame if you didn't have a good time. Well, there is a loud obnoxious drunk at 5am that wants to rev his flatulent pipes bike that you can point to.  :BEER:

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 12:20:08 PM »
I blame myself for having fun at rallies, not-a-rallies, and campouts.  They're all good!

Mojo's brother Ray happened to be at Blue Ridge Campground one weekend on his B11 when I showed up on the EV.  We put pictures up and declared that an official NAR as come on, what are the odds of two Guzzi's anywhere? 

George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

dilligaf

« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 04:53:57 PM »
Motorcycles only campgrounds can become NAR's.  I've always had a good time sitting around the campfire. That fire seems to do away with the brand or type of motorcycle you are riding.  :BEER:
Matt

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2015, 09:24:39 PM »
The NAR's in the PacNW are epic.  Deep Forest is in it's 28th year, iirc.   I've seen it with more people than the campground was licensed for.  Fossil is also big.  At some of the NW NARs they even do firing range and cannon shooting, or "find the bowling ball."  So don't let the NAR title make you shy.  They can be lively and varied.

I don't know how a rally differs from a NAR -- I've paid fees at both, had host-cooked meals, camped, etc at both.  Either can be MGNOC-affiliated.  I have seen structured events, games, planned route rides, and awards at both.  I've even seen some of the same people at both.  So maybe the distinction is that the folks hosting it say it's one or the other.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here