Author Topic: Nekkid Norge: In Over My Head  (Read 6144 times)

Bill Hagan

Nekkid Norge: In Over My Head
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:01:52 PM »

Not that such is new, even when I haven't disassembled it.   ::)

Pulled the air box, mostly to get to the inner spark plugs, but that has led to other concerns.

So, here's a short slideshow with some questions.

http://bill-and-kathi.smugmug.com/Nekkid-Norge/n-7Zwwhb/

In addition to concerns mentioned there, a related question that more starkly reveals my abysmal ignorance: is the "90-degree" test procedure for the alternator belt tension done there -- i.e., from under tank? -- or from "up front" after pulling cover?  I am not due another from mileage but wanted to check for wear, fitment, etc.  I just thought of that while writing this away from the Norge and with some "Kentucky assistance," so have mercy.  :D

Anything else I should be doing while I have the tank off and air box out?

Thanks.

Bill

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Nekkid Norge: In Over My Head
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 08:29:55 PM »
I hope someone answers up on some or all of these questions .... I also have the "rotten rubber boot" issue, and questions about cable lubing, and ... and .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:33:23 PM »
NICE pics Bill!
the stray fastener was a great find.. and the bug.
can you lube the cables from up top and then see when it finally gets down there by dripping some? then you know the whole cable got lubed..
hope that's not some old lunch in the baggy..
carb cleaner.
I fried a good Garmin by reversing the leads when I changed out the plug, beware..

hope you can get the airbox back in... :bike
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 08:35:40 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Vasco DG

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:48:52 PM »
OK.

Plugs? You'll need a thin walled socket or a ground down tube spanner to get them out. Blow out the area around them to get rid of the grunge and give them a spray with some penetrating oil and leave overnight, then pull 'em out, slowly, carefully. When you put the new ones in a smear of zinc based anti-seize on the threads will make it easier next time.

Rubber boot.? Don't worry about it given its location. If you do anything just glug a bit of silastic around it and let it set overnight.

Cables. These are nylon lined. Do not lubricate them or the nylon will swell and grab the cable making the throttle heavier.

Remove the throttle bodies, (just unhook the cables and disconnect the stepper and wriggle them out of the manifold boots.) get them on the bench and give them a really good going over with carby cleaner. They look filthy, I bet you've been keeping your oil at the 'Full' mark on your dipstick haven't you and filling it up when it drops you silly boy! Stop that and don't run it higher than half way between the 'Add' and 'Full' marks. Don't top it up until it drops to the 'Add' mark. Somewhere between half way and 'Add' it will probably stop using any. That's its 'Happy Place' and will from this time forward be your 'Full' mark!

Connectors? Is everything working? Leave them the f$!k alone!

GPS? NFI!

Pete

« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:51:24 PM by Vasco DG »

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 10:48:52 PM »

Cheese

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 05:01:56 AM »
Wow, that "stray bolt" was a good find. Glad you looked before pulling the plug as it appears as though it very well could have fallen into the cylinder when the plug came out! That would have left a mark..

Peter

Vasco DG

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 05:27:48 AM »
Highly unlikely. For heavens sakes it's right next to the plug cap. If you missed it you deserve to damage your engine! It's a rocker cover bolt. Most likely dropped during a service and the person who was doing it realised that to get to it he'd have to remove the airbox. A whole lot of time and hassle! Far easier and cheaper to just replace the bolt. If it does fall out it won't do any harm. If it doesn't it can be recovered when the air box is removed. No biggie, I've done it before.

Pete

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 05:30:53 AM »
I'm glad to see you have a bed for when Kathi boots your sorry arse out.. ;D :BEER:
On the modern electrical system with labyrinth seals, leaving them alone is fine. On the older ones, though.. pulling them apart, squirting them with deoxit, wiggling them around, etc. ought to be done occasionally.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Waltr

• Gaggle Mentor
    • Europa Macchina
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 05:59:49 AM »
  I don't know about anyone else but I am jealous. I want a wood floor to work on.
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
www.motoguzzipa.com

2012 Norge

Bill Hagan

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 08:26:37 AM »
  I don't know about anyone else but I am jealous. I want a wood floor to work on.

It's nice, Waltr ... and was (aside from leaving bare) pretty cheap, i.e., c.$1 SF.  Originally wanted to put in boards from salvage pallets, but that quickly fell into the "too hard to do" box.  Then, just started watching LumberLiquidators for sales and stocks of 600 SF. Bingo.  With the underlayment,
it's just fine in heat and cold. Drop a big tool?  Who cares; just adds "character."

OK.

Plugs? You'll need a thin walled socket or a ground down tube spanner to get them out. Blow out the area around them to get rid of the grunge and give them a spray with some penetrating oil and leave overnight, then pull 'em out, slowly, carefully. When you put the new ones in a smear of zinc based anti-seize on the threads will make it easier next time.

Rubber boot.? Don't worry about it given its location. If you do anything just glug a bit of silastic around it and let it set overnight.

Cables. These are nylon lined. Do not lubricate them or the nylon will swell and grab the cable making the throttle heavier.

Remove the throttle bodies, (just unhook the cables and disconnect the stepper and wriggle them out of the manifold boots.) get them on the bench and give them a really good going over with carby cleaner. They look filthy, I bet you've been keeping your oil at the 'Full' mark on your dipstick haven't you and filling it up when it drops you silly boy! Stop that and don't run it higher than half way between the 'Add' and 'Full' marks. Don't top it up until it drops to the 'Add' mark. Somewhere between half way and 'Add' it will probably stop using any. That's its 'Happy Place' and will from this time forward be your 'Full' mark!

Connectors? Is everything working? Leave them the f$!k alone!

GPS? NFI!

Pete

GREAT help, Pete.  Really appreciate those (pointed) pointers.   :D

Yes, it is "possible" that I have not gotten low on oil.   ::)

And, thanks, too, to all.  If I could only remember what I "learn" here.    ???  Seriously, with help here, even I can muddle through a mission without screwing up (too much).  ;)

So, I'll head down to the Moto Grappa now, get the worst of the grime off of the air box and boots, then -- as Kathi is with the grandbabies for a few days -- stick 'em in the dishwasher.   ;D

Grazie!

Bill

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 09:10:28 AM »
I'm glad to see you have a bed for when Kathi boots your sorry arse out.. ;D :BEER:

Given the coziness of this shop, a guy might be LOOKING for reasons to get kicked out to it .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 09:11:56 AM »
stick 'em in the dishwasher.   Grin

Just be sure to put them on the top shelf. Wouldn't want to warp them.. ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 09:26:30 AM »
Since for some reason I can't see your pictures and no one else has addressed it yet, I'll throw this in re: belt tension.  Such tests are usually done mid-span on the longest free run of belt, so you'll likely have to pull the cover off.  Depending on how much trouble that is from your present location, and having never seen such on the Norge myself, if the charging system seems to be working and there is no belt squeal I would just get a flashlight and see how things look from what I could see from "here" and call it good.

Howard

PS to Luap if he's listening: the "preview" function doesn't seem to be working, it just says "fetching preview" into perpetuity.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 09:28:23 AM by Howard R »
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline nikwax

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 01:25:48 PM »
I'll second the recommendation to leave the throttle cables alone. The local dealer decided to lubricate mine, which destroyed them in short order.
2014 Ducati Multistrada GT
2011 Norge GT 8V "Otto Valvole" (gone after 32k miles)
2001 BMW R1150 GS (gone after 100,000 miles)

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 10:21:42 PM »
Lots of rust around that plug Bill, you been following the salt truck again?   :BEER: ;D

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here