Author Topic: Poor mans dyno, SB Hotrod roll on remote compare  (Read 4464 times)

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
Poor mans dyno, SB Hotrod roll on remote compare
« on: March 28, 2015, 01:02:48 AM »
To not derail the 3 SB hotrod threads and maybe useful to all
Looking at the free GPS software I've put on my tablet

It has acceleration recorder, exactly all a rolling road dyno like a dynojet really is.
Mine only tells you current and max but must be easy to record acceleration and time and then graph them.
Then 60mph roll on in top could be shared between the Aero, the 4 valve neuvo and the hot Lario
Here's mine today, quick blat from 60mph in top

Only 90 cos it's wet, bumpy roads, cops etc
Have no idea why it's in metres per second per second when it's supposed to be in imperial but think Chuck probably works in G's anyway so that should be unit to use

For reference between 60-90 I hit 2.0496 G's today in top gear (conversion from net, NFI if true)

Wasn't trying for number but normal braking in wet at -13.16 m/s 2 is still -1.3419 G's !!!

For nothing we can test acceleration & braking & compare, wind or gradient use considered cheating.
For tuning, why pay for a dynorun ?

Think I hold the record for now, king for a minute ?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Poor mans dyno, SB Hotrod roll on remote compare
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 06:12:15 AM »
So, what's the name of this free GPS software? What operating system? It's highly unlikely that the four of us will ever be in the same place for a proper roll on.. ;D Yep, you're king for a day, and probably the contest.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 07:18:32 AM »
Put in exact weight of bike and rider, record rpm at each point.  Get torque and HP.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 07:57:14 AM »
 Looks like a useful tool that's for sure... I use chassis dynamometers frequently for my race bike and the often mentioned Dynojet is a inertia dyno...The rear wheel spins a weighted roller and the dyno measures power from the time it takes to accelerate the roller. They work for tuning but give exaggerated  power readings.. and that's why they are popular..and the fact although expensive are the less expensive dyno... Eddy current or brake dynos apply a load to the engine and actually stall the engine ...
 Watch and hear this 830 Hp V8 struggle to overcome the dyno brake...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsNKGQozXvQ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 07:57:14 AM »

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 08:27:29 AM »
For reference between 60-90 I hit 2.0496 G's today in top gear (conversion from net, NFI if true)

Very nice.  I've heard about apps like that.  I have a Veypor vehicle computer that does this sort of thing, automatic 1/4 mile timing, etc., but an app is a lot cheaper.

Recording more than a 2g acceleration in any gear probably means you need to throw that run away and record another one.  The Veypor actually has an accelerometer in it, probably to avoid glitches in position that cause odd accelerations like that.  And why does it say your average speed was zero?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:30:09 AM by Triple Jim »
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 08:39:22 AM »
The 2g part is probably when the clutch is let out at gear change.  The sensitivity of the gyro would record that little 'jerk' and that becomes the peak.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 09:45:37 AM »
The 2g part is probably when the clutch is let out at gear change. 

You're certainly correct that an abrupt gear change would cause a spike in acceleration, but any sudden torque that would cause a 2g acceleration would cause rear wheel spin if it were real, and the bike wouldn't actually accelerate that much.
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 10:13:25 AM »
The 2g part is probably when the clutch is let out at gear change.  The sensitivity of the gyro would record that little 'jerk' and that becomes the peak.

I've been researching apps for my tablet this morning, and that seems to be one of the problems reported.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 11:03:32 AM »
A great idea.  I imagine one could smooth out the false peaks and graph the results like a regular dyno.
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline kevdog3019

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 11:35:15 AM »
To not derail the 3 SB hotrod threads and maybe useful to all
Looking at the free GPS software I've put on my tablet

It has acceleration recorder, exactly all a rolling road dyno like a dynojet really is.
Mine only tells you current and max but must be easy to record acceleration and time and then graph them.
Then 60mph roll on in top could be shared between the Aero, the 4 valve neuvo and the hot Lario
Here's mine today, quick blat from 60mph in top

Only 90 cos it's wet, bumpy roads, cops etc
Have no idea why it's in metres per second per second when it's supposed to be in imperial but think Chuck probably works in G's anyway so that should be unit to use

Wasn't trying for number but normal braking in wet at -13.16 m/s 2 is still -1.3419 G's !!!

For nothing we can test acceleration & braking & compare, wind or gradient use considered cheating.
For tuning, why pay for a dynorun ?

Think I hold the record for now, king for a minute ?

This is a foreign language to me.  I'm not seeing data I understand there.  GB stand for Gigabyte and m/s2 almost sounds like Microsoft software to me.  Lets say you on how it reads??  ;)
'86 V65 "Super" Lario
'85 Honda Nighthawk 700s
'86 V65 Lario

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 11:37:17 AM »
m/sē is meters per second squared, or meters per second per second.  It's the acceleration, given in how many meters per second the vehicle is changing speed per second.  Gravity (1g) is about 32.2 ft/sē or 9.81 m/sē.  More than that is more than 1g and about impossible for street tires.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:42:14 AM by Triple Jim »

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 08:51:34 PM »
App is OZI explorer free trial but doesn't record acceleration only shows current and max
Was in tank bag during run, 50 odd mile shopping trip yesterday with one chance for 60mph roll on, no drag start,  high rpm gearchange etc, was wet road most of trip, pretty certain max acceleration was in top when I tried hard, never related m/s 2  or g to bikes before, entirely new to me, number could be bollox, others need to try.
Av speed 0 cos it had sat still for a couple of hours before posting, guess it resets to 0 after x time still ?

Somewhere there must be another app that records acell against clock while keeping record of speed too, I'm sure there are better geeks on here than me, in theory any gps can do it, anyone here write software ? Vid of tablet itself would work but convoluted way to do it, noting time / speed / acceleration and graphing every second

As for 1g being more than tyres can take, odd that braking normally in wet beats that, certainly didn't brake harder than I accelerated.
Will try again this week in dry trying to stay in top for several runs and braking as hard as I can but software is limited by "peak" as said, all recorded would be ideal

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 09:07:51 PM »
As for 1g being more than tyres can take, odd that braking normally in wet beats that, certainly didn't brake harder than I accelerated.

I didn't quite say 1g is more than tires can take.  In any case street tires might get above 1g by a little, but certainly nowhere near even 1.5g.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 09:28:41 PM »
Looks like a useful tool that's for sure... I use chassis dynamometers frequently for my race bike and the often mentioned Dynojet is a inertia dyno...The rear wheel spins a weighted roller and the dyno measures power from the time it takes to accelerate the roller. They work for tuning but give exaggerated  power readings.. and that's why they are popular..and the fact although expensive are the less expensive dyno... Eddy current or brake dynos apply a load to the engine and actually stall the engine ...
 Watch and hear this 830 Hp V8 struggle to overcome the dyno brake...

I'm a water brake kinda guy too

Best thing about the old days was BSFC, only just being reintroduced, as far as I'm concerned is the only true way to tune, no lambda just the amount of power you get from every pint of fuel.

But tablet / phone on your bike on road or track recording all is seriously easy to use, datalogging for everyone,

Offline mwrenn

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2015, 02:00:28 AM »
Ah, very interesting app.  Need to research and find the best one for comparison.  A simple log measuring 60 to 100 time would tell the tale...

Morizzi

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2015, 04:11:24 AM »
I'll go back to Martin's original suggestion of rolling on with the bikes side to side.

GPS is a wonderful thing but it has its limitations. HDOP (Horizontal dilution of precision) would have an effect on a comparison of this nature unless the bikes were together and the satellites were in the same orientation.

GPS has a lag time too for it to calculate.

I have big blocks and small blocks. I like them both. If I want to go for a blat for a coffee or such then I reach for the Monza. If I want to ride to Melbourne on a 4000km tour then I reach for the LM III.

Rod in Oz.

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2015, 08:26:49 AM »
GPS is a wonderful thing but it has its limitations. HDOP (Horizontal dilution of precision) would have an effect on a comparison of this nature unless the bikes were together and the satellites were in the same orientation.

Yes, it may be that the GPS receiver thought the motorcycle jumped in location because of the HDOP, creating a false momentary acceleration.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 09:30:52 AM »
Put in exact weight of bike and rider, record rpm at each point.  Get torque and HP.

Seems to me the varibles you can't control are wind speed and direction along with drag coefficient.

Pete

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 09:49:10 AM »
Seems to me the varibles you can't control are wind speed and direction along with drag coefficient.

Pete

I talked to a tech support guy at Veypor about that, and what you said is true for that system as well.  If you use a gear that lets the run stay under about 60 mph or so, wind isn't a big deal.  Since I use the feature of recording dyno curves only for comparing one run to another similar one, wind isn't a problem.  Comparing to a calibrated dynamometer wouldn't work so well.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here