Author Topic: 750 S3 - the recommisioning  (Read 94353 times)

canuck750

Re: 750 S3 - the recommisioning
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2015, 03:44:09 AM »
Jim,

What's your logic for using the NOS side covers on the bike and stashing the originals?

Why not use the originals that will match the tank, and sit on the NOS?

They're only "NOS" once.  You do plan to ride the bike.

Cam

You are right Cam, I got that backwards, NOS get put away and I clean and polish the stock side covers to match the tank. (I should be sleeping but I have to drive family to the airport in 20 minutes ::))

and I will definitely be riding this bike, no trailer queens here.

I got a Brown side stand in the mail today for the S3, what a great piece of kit.

Cheers

Jim

canuck750

« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2015, 03:45:48 AM »
Good on you Jim,
 i for one appreciate your story and pics. I have a task in front of me, pulling the crank out of the zuke 750 GT. meaning a complete engine strip. I can't yet find the energy to do it after a 4 year restoration. maybe this weekend ?

I can relate to that, I can procrastinate for a long time over a daunting task and when ready throw all caution to the wind and dive in ;D

Cheers

Jim

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2015, 10:38:05 AM »
You are right Cam, I got that backwards, NOS get put away and I clean and polish the stock side covers to match the tank. (I should be sleeping but I have to drive family to the airport in 20 minutes ::))

and I will definitely be riding this bike, no trailer queens here.

I got a Brown side stand in the mail today for the S3, what a great piece of kit.

Cheers

Jim

Okay, that makes sense.  Brown side stand was the first thing I added to my LeMans.  Love it!

Cam
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

canuck750

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2015, 09:53:37 PM »
Time to strip the transmission

Home made clutch spline tool from an old clutch plate and a 4 prong socket from Mg Cycle

One more special tool to grasp the nut and an old piece of a U joint with a long section of pipe for leverage and the nut spins off easily

Removed the speedo drive unit, pull out the gear and shim and catch the ball bearing as it falls off the slot in the output shaft

Now the rear cover can pop off and a shaft comes with it

The S3 has the upgraded bearing and plates where as the Eldo and V7 Sport I have worked on have brass and steel plates here

The bearings in the cover don't feel good, they feel to all have a notch, the bearings need to come out, into the oven until the cove reaches 350 F

And the case bearings also feel rough

Examining the gear sets there is a lot of wear at this point on each of the corresponding gears

I have another 5 speed out of a 850T that nay have better gear sets

The leading edge of each tooth has the hard surface worn off and there are 'bite' marks in each face of every tooth

I got off lucky with the engine crank and main bearings being in spec, unfortunately the transmission needs a full set of case bearings and the gear sets are not the best.

Next the rear drive, fingers crossed

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2015, 09:53:37 PM »

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2015, 04:00:21 AM »
Love it ;-T
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

canuck750

« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »
I sealed up the empty transmission case and took it to the car wash for a blast of aluminum brightener, waiting on a full set of bearings to arrive.

While the transmission site on the backburner I stripped the forks, an impact makes the job easier

The dampers are very weak, I will replace them with new FAC dampers and progressive springs, the dust caps, and tubes will be replaced as well, only the fork lowers, caps and damper rods are salvageable.

Whatever paint Guzzi used on the fork lowers it's damn hard to get off, bead blast hardly touches it, I ended up sanding the paint off then touching up with a glass bead blast, polished the alloy tops and masked for powder, ... I forgot to order the silver powder >:(

All the small painted brackets, fork clamps, headlight shell and gauge mount were stripped and powder coated satin black

I use a cheap Eastwood Automotive powder coat kit and a cheap old wall oven I set up under my bench, the oven was free for pickup on the local small adds.

Now to find some silver powder

canuck750

« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2015, 03:07:04 PM »
Wheel rebuilding is a lot of work and my least favorite part of rebuilding any bike, 40 spokes, 40 nipples, corroded rims, hubs that need cleaning and the bearing carriers to freshen up, X two.

40+ year old wheels are not easy to strip , looses each spoke a few turns with a wrench

Then back the nipple off a few more turns with a flat blade

Then a short rap with a hammer on the flat blade to crack the spoke free from the hub

Always a couple spokes that are not going to loosen without heat

Only 4 bent spokes, I have spares

no visible cracks in the hubs or rims

A soda blast to the inside of the rims and the hubs strips off the corrosion in the spoke recess

Now to polish 80 spokes, 80 nipples and two rims, and then lace and balance, new rim tape, new tubes and tires, A Guzzi engine rebuild is easy compared to this.....
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 07:22:18 PM by canuck750 »

Maaka

« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2015, 10:51:25 PM »
love the pics Klondike...keep them coming as I have to attack a wheel for my first time soon..apparently the drive spindle is worn, so on the lookout for replacement..love the soda thingy..does wonders..do you find the alum goes dark grey again over time??

canuck750

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2015, 08:44:31 AM »
Hi Maaka,

The cleaned aluminum will oxidize and turn darker gray over time. I coat clean alloy with ACF50 once the parts are assembled, it gives at least 1 year of road use protection.

cheers

Jim

canuck750

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2015, 10:20:49 PM »
Going to get the wheel building behind me, it's the last of the 'dirty' jobs.

Fine brass wire wheel in the bench grinder, then rouge polish on a buffer wheel, 80 spokes and nipples freshened up,

Then to polish the back rim, it makes one heck of a mess to make it shine again

Ready to lace it up

A little anti-size on the end of the spoke that fits into the hub, one day someone will restore this bike again and hopefully the spokes will be a little easier to get out

Guzzi wheels are so easy to assemble compared to a Japanese wheel with hooked spokes, usually 4 different types per wheel

6 fresh carrier bolts

and cleaned up the rubber dampers

Then the big plate

Then to squeeze the plate into the rubbers so the great big snap ring can fit

Snap ring pops in and the lock tab to keep it there

Brightblade

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2015, 12:41:15 PM »
Wow you really made that thing shine

canuck750

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2015, 01:02:24 PM »
Thanks!  I spent about 20 minutes buffing the rim, by pre-treating it with Aluminum Brightener 1st and getting the oxidation off, the polishing is much, much less work, that and the fact that the rim was in pretty good shape to begin with.

Cheers

Jim

canuck750

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2015, 09:39:16 PM »
I was considering buying new stainless steel headers and cross over, the discolouration, stains and pits looked pretty ugly

I want to keep as many of the original parts as possible so I tried polishing the parts with several different grits of polishing compound. After a couple hours working on the two headers and cross over I am very surprised that they cleaned up pretty good, they are stainless to my surprise and though they are not 'like new' the finish suits the bike,

Polished up the rear fender, bead blasted the rust of the steel brace and brushed Tremclad over the raw steel,

A good portion of the bike's components are shipped off for engine machine work,  cylinder plating, flywheel lightening, cad plating, chrome plating and the frame is out for painting, now to wait for it all to come back and then it's just reverse the order like the manual says and put it all back together, simple at this point. ::)

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2015, 10:49:13 PM »
             Those stainless parts you polished look like they are chromed ;-T
Oz
04 Cali

Offline Triple Jim

• Gaggle Hero
    • Lakeland Services Company
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2015, 11:04:05 PM »
I enjoyed rebuilding my Mille's front wheel.  The amazing thing was the way the hub guided each cleaned and polished spoke right to its rim hole without having to think about lacing at all.  Much better than the usual spokes with a ≈90° bend at the head, and a drilled flange on the hub.  I have a feeling you liked doing it more than you let on.   ;D
When the Brussels sprout fails to venture from its lair, it is time to roll a beaver up a grassy slope.

canuck750

« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2015, 08:35:04 AM »
Guzzi wheels and spokes are brilliant, why other manufacturers' have not copied the simple straight pull spoke is beyond me. I have laced a lot of Yamaha and Honda dirt bike wheels, 4 different spokes per wheel, much, much more work. A guzzi wheel is really not even laced, more like just assembled.
I admit that I may not like building wheels but the end result is more than worth the aggravation. :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 04:52:00 PM by canuck750 »

Maaka

« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2015, 07:52:14 PM »
Mate, you are real bike wizard, and I just sit here with my mouth hung open, and in awe of you work, and workshop..Wish I lived just around the corner...hahaha

canuck750

« Reply #77 on: May 04, 2015, 10:22:24 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Maaka,

I got a replacement wheel in the mail today from a fellow guzzista; thanks Jack. A blast with the high pressure baking soda to remove the surface oxidation, and the scum in the spoke holes, then a 200 grit sanding pad on a foam palm sander to get rid of the deep scratches and touch up the edge of the rims, and it will polish up very nicely.

Baking Soda is my friend!

And sand paper saves a good hour of polishing ;)

canuck750

« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2015, 10:47:08 PM »
The industrial plater called today, my box of cadmium platting is done, I am very fortunate to have a shop willing to take my small order of tiny parts and treat them with care,

These came out looking like new

With the bearing spacers back from platting I can finish the wheel assembly

Press in the new sealed wheel bearings

Reinstall the snap rings

I used a drum sander to remove the powder paint out of the inside of the center cut out of the discs so they will slide over the bearing carriers

New bolt and nut retainers and used the re-plated original bolts

Spacer fits in here

I use an old feeler gauge to protect the fresh powder coating on the disc to bend over the lock tabs

Front wheel ready to be trued prior to new rim bands, tubes, and tires

But the rear wheel has me stumped, the bearing carrier fit in just right and the rear disc popped over the carrier, when I flipped the wheel over to install the spacer it sticks up to far???

Rechecking the front wheel the spacer is fitting just right between the two front bearings, so I think I have the front wheel carriers and spacer in correct.

I need to check my parts manual (at the office), I think this piece goes here (with the spacer inside the hub center) and then the sealed bearing goes into the recess

I took lots and lots of pictures of everything else as I disassembled it, except the wheels, because they are straight forward  :beat_horse :beat_horse
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 10:49:27 PM by canuck750 »

Offline mgmark

• Hatchling
  • Those schnitzengrubens can wear you out.
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2015, 06:25:25 AM »
I believe that spacer goes on the outside of the bearing, between the bearing and the caliper carrier. The smaller diameter goes towards the bearing.
You are doing very nice work. I wish I could have bought your black Sport when it was available.

Mark
1984 LeMans > 1985 LeMans + 1978 LeMans > 1989 Lemans > 20 years later, 1985 Lemans > 1980 SP1000
2019 Triumph T100 Bonneville

MGNOC #11062

canuck750

« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2015, 09:52:11 AM »
I looked through my 750 S3 part book (just a short supplement to the 850 T3 parts book), the rear wheel is the 850 T3 assembly with no changes

Part #25 is the 'CUP' - the flanged washer, it fits under the bearing against the spacer, it may be the piece that is already in the cast crush drive plate in my pictures and the flanged thick washer in my hand maybe goes somewhere else??? I recall a piece, probably the mystery flange / washer fell of the rear wheel as it was propped up against a wall.  The tube spacer length just seems odd in the rear wheel hub.

The front wheel on the S3 uses the bearing  flanges as the rear wheel on the 850T3, but the bearing spacer tube is from the 850 T3 and the front and rear wheel bearing spacers tubes have different part numbers.

This is the 850T3 front wheel diagram

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2015, 10:30:10 AM »
#25 is called a "grease cup" by S-D and looks like this:

The "thick flanged washer" is #19 and goes where Mark said it does.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 10:32:52 AM by Antietam Classic Cycle »
Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #82 on: May 08, 2015, 12:33:41 PM »
Thanks Charlie!

So it appears to be set into the cast splined plate already, the new bearings are sealed. I wonder if the purpose of the 'Grease Cup' was for the use of non sealed bearings?

Do you pop out the sealed bearing faces and grease them and use standard type grease seals or just keep use sealed wheel bearings?

Jim

Offline NCAmother

• Gaggle Mentor
    • NathanAppel (NSFW)
« Reply #83 on: May 08, 2015, 12:47:07 PM »
I love your posts!!!!

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #84 on: May 08, 2015, 03:30:18 PM »

Do you pop out the sealed bearing faces and grease them and use standard type grease seals or just keep use sealed wheel bearings?

Jim

I always stick with whatever type bearing is installed from the factory. If it's sealed, that's what I replace it with.
Charlie

canuck750

« Reply #85 on: May 08, 2015, 04:52:02 PM »
Thanks Charlie, I just want to be sure. ;-T

canuck750

« Reply #86 on: May 08, 2015, 11:07:20 PM »
I figured out the rear wheel, thanks to Charlie and Mark, on the S3 the bearing tube spacers are slightly different lengths front to back, the rear being about 1.5mm shorter, once swapped it all falls into place, and the rear outer wheel bearing sits into the flange as it should.

Trued the rims with a dial gauge, pretty easy on a straight pull spoke rim, I try to get to 20 thou up/down and L/R. I think the rubber tire typically balances out the variance, I have no real idea as to how accurate the factory spec on the rim is supposed to be, anyone know??

I am going to order a pair of Bridgestone BT45 tires for the front and rear, once mounted a big job will be behind me.

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: May 09, 2015, 03:53:16 AM »
Pretty ;-T
Oz
04 Cali

canuck750

« Reply #88 on: May 10, 2015, 09:57:12 PM »
Got some of the small bits done, mostly the electrical support brackets, diode, regulator etc, just soda blasted the coils and then sprayed them to look like gold cad plating, the reg was painted and a band of yellow electrical tape goes around the bottom (could not find the blue but I have seen yellow banded Bosch regulators as well). Reused the diode board, new rubber bits and cable clamps.

Most of the parts that got sent out for work will hopefully trickle back in this week.

Offline Zinfan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2015, 05:51:45 PM »
Super fun read!  Can't wait for the next episode.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here