Author Topic: classic .22 rifle suggestions?  (Read 27434 times)

Offline M0T0Geezer

• Gaggle Mentor
    • The Ones I Rode
Re: classic .22 rifle suggestions?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2015, 08:21:30 AM »
One of my most cherished guns is a Winchester 9422 that I bought in the 1970s.

It is a lever action saddle rifle, little brother to the classic Winchester "30/30"

The 9422 holds 18 .22 LR rounds in its tubular magazine.

[url] http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/historic-category.asp?family=004C [url]
2007 Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 USA

My 65+ years of motorcycling here:

http://www.dansher.com/mywheels.htm

Wisdom from the road:

http://www.dansher.com/bikequotes.html

Play guitar or keyboard?  You will like:

http://www.dansher.com/audio/pdf_tunes.html

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2015, 08:34:34 AM »
Vintage H&R were another one I used fondle at the gun store every visit, always telling myself, next time, next time. Then I moved :(

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline jknight611

• Gentlemens cranks go fore and aft
  • New Egg
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2015, 08:48:23 AM »
My vote is the Henry lever action 22.  I bought the "standard", the Golden Boy is a beautiful gun but the balance didn't feel right and it is more $$$.  Dead nuts accurate for a out of the box gun.
1995 Sport 1100
2007 GL1800
2006 Ural Tourist
2010 KLR650
2013 Stelvio

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »
I just bought a CZ 455 American (w a Leupy rimfire scope). I'm  a newbie, but this is a nice setup, and I am very happy with it.

Rimfire central is a great source of info.

22 ammo isn't that hard to find--it's just a question whether you want to pay the going prices (11 cents/round).

Rich A

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2015, 09:06:57 AM »

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2015, 09:18:37 AM »
I've got a Henry .22 Frontier.  Blue with octagon barrel.

Nice little gun with a classic look.  Smooth action and nice overall feel.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2015, 09:19:36 AM »

22 ammo isn't that hard to find--it's just a question whether you want to pay the going prices (11 cents/round).

Rich A

.22 ammo becomes invisible and unobtainable to the Guzzisti-minded at about .08 per round ..... !

At that price, our arms shorten so that we can't reach into our pockets, and our hands shake so pay we couldn't pass the money across the counter anyway .....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline wikaby

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2015, 09:23:40 AM »
I pick up my Browning pump 22 way more often than my 10/22 Ruger. I'm a farmer and the Browning seems to be the right 22. The Ruger semi automatic always seems to be dangerous to me. I like the way the Browning hangs on a target too.
Yamaha TW
14V7 special

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2015, 09:32:14 AM »
.22 ammo becomes invisible and unobtainable to the Guzzisti-minded at about .08 per round ..... !

At that price, our arms shorten so that we can't reach into our pockets, and our hands shake so pay we couldn't pass the money across the counter anyway .....

Lannis

ROFLMAO
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2015, 09:49:48 AM »
it is amazing how expensive .22 rounds are.  Makes no sense to me.

I learned to shoot on Grandpa's 22 lever.  My brother has it.  I got his 12 ga. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2015, 09:54:24 AM »
Boatdetective - what are your plans for this rifle? Plinking? Club competition? Hunting? Possible collector value?

Many of the nice older .22s are becoming collector items now which naturally raises the ante for really good specimens.
Plinking vs target shooting is also a major consideration.
As for ammo, target stuff is readily available but usually in the $6-$20 per box range. It's the plinking ammo that is hard to get.

Sorta like motorcycles - hard to find one that meets all of your needs all of the time. I think you should have four or five .22s at a minimum!! ;D ;D ;D ;-T
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2015, 10:38:06 AM »
\

Naa, I can reload centerfire cheaper than that. Fortunately, I have a bunch of 22 squirreled away. It's my retirement nest egg.. ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2015, 10:46:37 AM »
\

Naa, I can reload centerfire cheaper than that. Fortunately, I have a bunch of 22 squirreled away. It's my retirement nest egg.. ;D

Just make sure that you don't get into any trouble with your taxes or your son-in-law or something.    After the search of your house, the lead-in line will read:

"When the supposed airplane enthusiast's house was searched, a virtual arsenal of rifles and pistols was found, along with enough ammunition to kill 12,000 people.    Authorities are questioning how such a massive killing armory was accumulated over the years.   They do not believe that any other such collections exist in the area ....."

I'd be a good MSM journalist!   A few bricks of .22 and WHAMMO!   World class terrorist in the house!   ;)

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

canuguzzi

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2015, 11:00:04 AM »
??? An ammo shortage is the US, surely not.
 BoatDetective my Apologies if this somewhat hijacks the thread, but while all the .22 guys are looking,
 I have been given a very nice .22  Mauser-Werke A.G.Oberndorf a.N.       Pre wwII item. I'm looking for a Magazine for it, 5 or 10 shot ? not sure what it came with.
can anyone help or point me to someone who can.
Again , sorry Boatdetective, but my pick would be a Brno Model 2 if you can find one, I'm sure the Czech's copied this Mauser to make the brno's, I used a model 2 for a while target shooting years back did quite well  ;-T  

Storni's Gun Ranch
1720 Cottontail Creek Road
Cayucos,CA,93430
(805)995-2122

Years ago when I worked in LE I used to go there every week with the then CO of our SERT. Storni had every imaginable gun you ever heard about. Bought many from him, Walter PP Supers (a box full), Mauser HSCs, HK PSG1, and my wonderful Anschutz 22 Hornet that he reamed to K-Hornet.

We had carte blance to shoot there anytime and the only ones he let do that. Alas he has passed away and I think it is his nephew that took over the place.

If any one has that magazine, that shop will if they are still in business. (many years since I've been there)

If only I still had the FNFAL all geared up that would shoot 1 moa with 110gr Sierra Hollowpoints at 3300 fps. Damn fine ground squirrel gun.

Now back to the regularly scheduled witness protection program.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 11:01:09 AM by Norge Pilot »

Online Dilliw

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2015, 11:04:14 AM »
it is amazing how expensive .22 rounds are.  Makes no sense to me.

I learned to shoot on Grandpa's 22 lever.  My brother has it.  I got his 12 ga. 

I was at Academy Sports last week and picked up a 325 count box of Federal Auto Match .22 for $17.50.  We have a new Cabela's and they had .22 too when I was there.  It seems the big box sporting stores are getting inventory now; the small guys not so much.
George Westbury
Austin, TX
2003 EVT "The Tank"
2011 Griso SE

L-824 and L-825

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2015, 12:48:41 PM »
You might want to look for a BSA Martini Mark II. Very accurate and sometimes available for $500-600. You can also sometimes find an older Anschutz 64 for under $1000.

Remington 37s and 40Xs along with Winchester 52s have really risen in price lately but there are still occasional bargains out there. Last year I picked up an original 52C for $700 - great bluing, stock not dinged up, Redfield Olympic sights- so you never know.

If you're thinking about some serious club shooting I would hold out for one of the above. ;-T

Damn you.

I looked up the BSA and it is totally wacky looking-  I love it! 

Essentially- I am to blame for posting something that would just put me in a "collect the whole set" frame of mind. After all, the only prudent choice would be to have a 10/22, a cool lever, a classic Winchester, a Browning pump, that kwazy BSA single shot, a CZ, etc. etc.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 Griso 1100 "Bluto" (departed but not forgotten)
2003 EV "Lola" gone to the "Ridin' Realtor" in Peoria
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

"Who's the cat who won't cop out, when there's danger all about?"  -Isaac Hayes

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2015, 01:01:53 PM »
Quote from boatdetective:
Essentially- I am to blame for posting something that would just put me in a "collect the whole set" frame of mind. After all, the only prudent choice would be to have a 10/22, a cool lever, a classic Winchester, a Browning pump, that kwazy BSA single shot, a CZ, etc. etc.

And you haven't even started with the handgun needs yet. At least one good auto and one good revolver.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2015, 01:10:56 PM »
Here's my wacky BSA - picked it up last year for $690 at auction. All original and original sights. One of the most accurate (and heavy) rifles I have ever owned. :BEER:

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2015, 01:17:34 PM »
You are all bad people.

Oh- on the handgun front- I bought a Colt Officers 22 this winter- pre war.  Yow that thisng is smooth. Every itty bitty piece is hand fitted and polished up.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

Offline atavar

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
It doesn't matter what ya buy, ya can't find ammo!  :'(
I don't know about you guys, but I have no problem finding rimfire ammo lately.  Have you checked in a while?
2008 Norge - Black Wing Squadron

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2015, 01:42:54 PM »
Hey BD -BSA also made a lighter but still very accurate 12/15. Looks a lot like the Martini but is usually much less.

Check this one out.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=479358670
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 01:43:49 PM by Rotten Ralph »

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2015, 02:49:24 PM »
In my opinion the .22 rimfire shortage is completely artificial.  There is not and has not been a 'shortage' up here.  I think the retailers have chosen to fake a shortage for profiteering and political reasons.

Offline boatdetective

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2015, 02:51:47 PM »
Dave- I can tell you that i have a very close friend who work in a gun store here- it has been a problem. His distributor doesn't have .22.  It is easing up somewhat.

No one has a good explanation.
Jonathan K
Marblehead, MA

1981 V50III "Gina"
2007 1200 Sport "Ginger"

canuguzzi

« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2015, 03:20:21 PM »
Dave- I can tell you that i have a very close friend who work in a gun store here- it has been a problem. His distributor doesn't have .22.  It is easing up somewhat.

No one has a good explanation.

Gouging. When the stories about school shootings became a nationwide debate, there was a run on ammunition. That didn't last though but prices soared. Why charge less and sell more when you can charge many times more and make far less? Someone figured out that demand can be kept high and with it prices and with that, profits. Its really only a business to the manufacturers,distributors and dealers, not a sport, hobby or necessity (in whatever order you like) as it is for us.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2015, 03:20:41 PM »
I think the explanation is that the NRA prophesized an ammunition shortage due to the gubbmt's "attack on the 2nd amendment" and had to fulfill the prophecy.  Otherwise it would be a simple thing to find the failure in the distribution chain - they'd be able to produce the gubbmt mandate to cease production - and that didn't happen.  And since the .22 is considered as both the most popular caliber in the USA and also the least essential, what better way to promote a political agenda without really impacting anything than artificially creating a shortage in that area?

$0.02

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2015, 03:49:14 PM »
I have an old Marlin .22 rifle still but all this talk so I ordered one of these, will get it Saturday.
Benjamin Varmint Power Pack Air Rifle with 4x 32mm Scope
Pellet guns seem to have gotten a bit better over the years.
JB
John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2015, 03:54:16 PM »
I've also got my Grandpa's old .22 cal Benjamin air rifle.   

Now that is quite a useful and fun non-fire arm.  I like it much better than my .22 Ruger pistol POS.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2015, 03:57:47 PM »
I'm playing with a .22 Gamo rifle, nothing makes you think more than a spring-piston rifle.

And yesterday I picked up a Hi Standard Model A. My goodness, people took pride in their work in the late '30s-early '40s.

Online rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2015, 04:04:39 PM »
I have the hi standard model B/government.  It's a slab-barreled target semi-auto and was used by military target teams in the era.  My dad coached the local team back in the day.  It was his competition piece.

Way more complicated than a .22 needs to be, but very satisfying to shoot.

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2015, 04:39:03 PM »
Air rifles, now we're talking! I have two Gamo's, meh. I'd like something nicer but I don't have a good range for them. I've got about 20 air pistols though.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2015, 04:41:02 PM »
I know Gamos seem to draw criticism, but damn that thing can literally drive tacks at 30 yards.

Just have to remember to hold it the same way every time-looser the better.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here