Author Topic: ...to southeast Arizona [mostly photographs]  (Read 11746 times)

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
  • Daytona, Stelvio [Kansas]
    • Trip Reports
...to southeast Arizona [mostly photographs]
« on: April 26, 2015, 09:57:54 PM »

US-191 runs from Mexico to Canada (with a gap at Yellowstone).  I've  never been on the southern most part even though that portion through the  eastern Arizona mountains is considered one of the best motorcycle roads in the  country. That's what I'm aiming for.

Texas

Dalhart, Texas.  It's time for lunch at the Loose Caboose cafe.   Today's special?  Chicken fried steak (no real surprise).

US-54 follows the Union Pacific tracks along a long sweeping arc towards  Tucumcari.

This was a very long train pulling containers that aren't there anymore.   I waved at the engineer and got a couple of quick toots in return (every bit as  fun today as when I was eight years old).

New Mexico

Tucumcari, New Mexico.  This town has three historic main streets  through town (not counting the freeway, which bypasses the town completely).   There's the original, next to the railroad.  Then, there's the street  that's called Main Street that is the old business district.  And then  there's this, which was route-66.  Today, the old hotels and restaurants  are still here, but only a few are open for business.

The Blue Swallow Motel is a classic '66' motel with rooms and garages  built around a central courtyard.  To its credit, it's still in  business; the owners have embraced whatever people want route-66 to mean for  them.

Every room has it's own adjacent enclosed garage (likely much too small for  your SUV), and every garage now has a full mural devoted to some aspect of '66'.

Newkirk, New Mexico (population 7) is typical of many small towns spaced  along route-66 that are virtually extinct, today.  Tires didn't often  survive the journey, so there's a handy tire changing machine mounted to the  pavement.

Pastura, New Mexico existed for the steam engines and their need for  water.  Of course, that need is long gone, so Pastura is not an active  place.

US-54 heading towards the crossroads at Vaughn.

The town of Carrizozo is near those hills.

Crossing the Jornada del Muerto (route of the dead man).  Large lava  fields would make this an especially difficult valley to cross (and that name  wouldn't give you much hope of success).

Crossing over the Oscura Mountains.

Trinity Site isn't too far to the south of here.

Bear Mountains in the distance.

Magdalena, New Mexico parked at the Magdalena Cafe.

It's a standard breakfast.  That biscuit was freshly made and was  perfect.

Not far west of Magdalena is the VLA (Very Large Array) radio telescope.   There are quite a few dishes arranged along three arms each 120 degrees from the  next.  They can be moved inward and outward depending on the sort of  information they're after.  When I was through here last year, all the  dishes were quite close together (perfect for a photograph), but today, they're  spread out to their maximum.

Mangas Mountains.

Aragon, New Mexico is just on the western side of the continental divide.

San Francisco Mountains.

Luna, New Mexico, the last town before Arizona.

Arizona

Alpine, Arizona.  I had a choice of the sunny cafe across the street  with all the cars in their lot or the more rustic cafe next to where I'm  parked.

Next time I'll probably eat at the place across the street.  This is  today's special: “the cowboy burger.”

Alpine sits on US-191.  I'll be turning south to climb into the White Mountains.   Initially, the road is really smooth with good curves clear shoulders.   Eventually, though, it becomes much rougher.

The old road would have been quite a challenge.  This is only a small  stretch of that original road that leads to a scenic overlook.

You have to wonder why this road is even here.  There are no towns.   I think access to mines is the original answer.

I hate it when the cattle-crossing is on a curve and you're on a  motorcycle, but on a straight section (such as this), they're hardly worth a  notice.

Wow; they're removing the whole mountain!  This is the Morenci copper mine,  which is now owned by Freeport-McMoRan Inc. (FMCG).

Clifton, Arizona.  This would have been the busiest street in Clifton  many years back--not now.

Out of the mountains, but still following US-191.  That's Mount Graham  on the horizon (10,720 feet).

Willcox, Arizona was built because of (and for) the railroad.

The Chiricahua Mountains.  This is an impressive range surrounded by  miles and miles of grassland.  It's where I'm heading.

Chiricahua National  Monument was created in 1924.

These formations are the remains of an enormous eruption some 27 million  years ago.  It's a remarkable place, and one that I wasn't aware of.

A paved road takes you to a higher elevation so you can look over much of the  mountain.

Hundreds, probably thousands, of balanced rocks.

Swedish immigrants (Neil and Emma Erickson) settled the Faraway Ranch in  1887.  Their daughter, Lillian, would live here until 1977.

Douglas, Arizona is the southern end of US-191.  Just a few blocks south  and you'll be at the Mexico border.

Now following Arizona highway 80 through the Pedregosa Mountains.

Well, it happens.

I walked back to the parked bike after taking a photograph of the hills  (above), and found a completely flat rear tire.

Sigh...

This is sergeant Tomas Romero of the Douglas Police Department.   Tommy kept me company while I repaired the flat--in his left hand is the  bottle of ArmorAll, which was just the lubricant I needed to get that  repair-plug inserted.

The Geronimo surrender site (1886), which marks the end of the Indian Wars.

New Mexico

Animas, New Mexico for fuel.  I'm still watching that rear tire, but  it's holding air and all looks well.

I almost always order the special, and as often as not, the special in  any New Mexico cafe is going to be Green Chili Cheeseburger.  You  cannot go wrong.

Hachita, New Mexico--another railroad town.

That large water tower, built for the steam engines that will never come  again, will last for many more years.

Columbus, New Mexico.

In 1916, Pancho Villa's army (but not Pancho Villa himself) of 500 men  attacked this town.  Seven soldiers and ten civilians were killed in  the raid.  The U.S. response was to send 10,000 troops under General  John Pershing into Mexico to capture Pancho Villa.  They never did.

Very little of the army camp is left.

Deming, New Mexico.

Crossing over the Caballo Mountains with a view of the White Sands Missile  Range.

White Sands National Monument.

This isn't your ordinary sand.  It's gypsum crystals (selenite) ground  up to the consistency of talcum powder.

If you walk very gently, the surface supports you and your boots will not  sink.  Once the surface if broken, it's tough going.  This isn't  like any beach or conventional sand dune you've walked on.

Alamogordo, New Mexico.

The International Space Hall of Fame is also a space museum.

The display of inertial guidance equipment from various rockets was  especially interesting.  It's clear that simply building something with a  lot of thrust was never the hard part; the hard part was making sure the rocket  would go where it was supposed to go.  That's the role of the guidance  system.  The first one (below) is from a German V2 rocket.  The  complexity of its connected gyroscopes is amazing.

Cloudcroft, New Mexico is high in the Sacramento Mountains.  There have  been devastating fires in this town, so it sometimes has the appearance of a  low-budget western movie.

There's a road that connects US-82 with US-70 that I've wanted to take,  now I finally have.  There was snow on the ground, but the road was  clear and dry (the riding temperature at the higher elevation was in the  high forties).

US-70 dropping into the plains.  We're leaving the mountains behind.

Portales, New Mexico

I ordered today's special, and--surprise!--it wasn't green chili  cheeseburger.  This is a bit more upscale place, so it's steak and  enchilada.

Texas

Sunray, Texas.

Oklahoma

Goodwell, Oklahoma.

Guyman, Oklahoma.

Kansas

US-54, Kansas.

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
Re: ...to southeast Arizona [mostly photographs]
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 10:09:34 PM »
Nicely illustrated and told...enjoyed the visual adventure on some familiar roads/locations!  
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 10:10:18 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 10:16:53 PM »
 Deke , once again , amazing stuff . I love that part of the country , thanks  ;-T

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »
Nice loop.

The Bear Wallow in Alpine, AZ is one of our favorite stops when in the area.

You did manage to find a way to take pics of Alamogordo and Deming that makes them look tiny.  Alamo is quite large for a town out here and Deming isn't a one stoplight town.
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 10:26:33 PM »

Offline Klaus

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 04:38:41 AM »
I dreamed of travelling the US like you did / do for the better part of my life. Never was able to do so. Now I ´m too old, I guess. But your pictures are a big "Ersatz" ! I really do enjoy.

Thank you very much, Daniel !

Hope for more to come.

:+1

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 04:52:39 AM »
Engrossing
Will have to buy a Biiig map so I can find all those places ;D
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline nick949

• All you have to do is decide what to do with the time that's given to you.
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Nick Adams Writing
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 05:42:42 AM »
 ;-T ;-T You make places I would never think to go, seem obvious destinations.  Terrific!

Nick

Offline blackbuell

• Gaggle Hero
  • Waitin' on the ghost of Tom Joad
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 06:28:08 AM »
Great ride review Daniel! Thanks for the memories: the Chiricahuas were my summer home for five years in the early 80's; beautiful mountain range with very unique flora and fauna.

I sure miss those NM green chili cheeseburgers; can't get them here in KY.

Jon
Bikes: 2007 Norge, YAM RD250, 2017 Indian Scout. 2021 V7 850 Special

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari, Tehachapi to Tonopah

K250

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 06:54:32 AM »
Fantastic ride report!   :+1

Offline zedXmick

• Gosling
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 08:00:56 AM »
Fantastic ride report!   :+1

I love the South West....I want to live there someday.
2010 VFR1200F  DCT

Offline Charles in Lake Charles

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 10:43:25 AM »
I always enjoy your reports. This one is great as I spent a number of years living in New Mexico and West Texas.

I also enjoyed the one about Nebraska and that area as I was raised in that area. :)
TOYS:
98 Yellow Centauro, 93 SPIII, 1978 LeMans,
1977 Convert, 1975 850-T (FOR SALE),
1985 Harley FLTC, 1985 K100RT
2001 Lees-ure Lite Camper,
1988 Mercedes 560SL

Offline LaGrasta

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 11:21:37 AM »
enjoyed those, thank you.
You can buy style, but you have to build character.

'10 Moto Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic
'03 Moto Guzzi VII Sport
'14 Kawasaki KLX250S
'89 Honda GB500tt
'82 Honda GL500 bobber
…and two step-through scooters too.

Offline normzone

• Gaggle Hero
  • '72 Eldo - 1980 to 1990 - '99 Bassa 2014 - 2023
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 01:07:36 PM »
Now there you go - [Daniel Kalal] sets the standard for the kind of trip report I was hoping to do for my Arizona trip to see my brother. So I just did a rough estimate of photo and word count to get a comparison betwixt the model I'm aiming to imitate and what I actually produced.

Daniel's report ran about 140 pictures and 1,080 words.

So I go look at my report - 10 pictures and 3,660 words.

Hmmm...I might not be cut out to be one of Daniel's imitators.

Nice ride and very nice report Daniel - thank you for that.
That's the combustion chamber of the turbo shaft. It is supposed to be on fire. You just don't usually see it but the case and fairing fell off.

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 06:16:59 PM »
Kept wanting to click "like" on many of those.  :bow
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 06:43:20 PM »

This was a very long train pulling containers that aren't there anymore.   I waved at the engineer and got a couple of quick toots in return (every bit as  fun today as when I was eight years old).

Did THIS train stop in Tucumcari?

Lannis
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:49:11 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 06:54:41 PM »
Funny, I just posted this on the Jackal sidecar/dog thread.  ;D This is one of the garages next to your room in the Blue Swallow..

Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 07:45:47 PM »
well DK, you made the devil's ride (rt 666) as you proposed at Cedar Vale.  Congrats and thanks!
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 09:00:24 PM »
Did THIS train stop in Tucumcari?Lannis

Good one Mortimer!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:01:55 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 09:40:05 PM »
Daniel,  Absolutely wonderful pictorial.  I love the occasional food stops you include.  Makes me feel like I'm on the trip, as opposed to the reality of being stuck hundreds of miles away from my bike on business for the past two weeks. 

Maybe it's just because it's so different from where I'm from, but I think the desert southwest is the most beautiful part of country.  Thanks for letting us live vicariously through your excellent travelogues!

What was your average mileage per day out there?  Also, if you recall, what were the range of temperatures you experienced this time of year?

Cheers,
Owen

Owen

2014 V7 Special

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 09:50:46 PM »
well DK, you made the devil's ride (rt 666) as you proposed at Cedar Vale.  Congrats and thanks!

Yeah.  I'd sure like to make this ride sometime.

:bike
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 10:17:46 PM »
What was your average mileage per day out there?  Also, if you recall, what were the range of temperatures you experienced this time of year?

This was a five-night trip.
Around 420 miles per day.  I wore my electric vest everyday, although often it wasn't turned on.  The low was mid-forties and the high was around eighty; really the temperature was mostly perfect for riding.  Strong wind was annoying, particularly as it always seemed to shift to be right on my nose, regardless of which way I was riding.  Headwinds leaving Kansas, and headwinds coming back.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 10:44:23 PM »
That's an incredible record of memories.

Rich A

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 10:55:33 PM »
Great photo/tour post.  Enjoyed it. 
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

Online LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 11:26:20 PM »

Yeah.  I'd sure like to make this ride sometime.

:bike

Trailer to Alpine and 3-4 days of riding.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 11:48:20 PM »
I really enjoy seeing a view of other people's geography through photography.
Are the blue dots on your map GPS readings or photo ops?
We certainly don't have the mix of town and road up here that you do. A few nice views and an occasional village...

I wonder if there'd be uptake for more of us to share our pieces of our planet in a similar format citing a common tag: bike, camera, defined range or region.
This forum has people posting from all parts of the world. I've never been to Australia; for example. ... or Georgia/Alabama
Pretty certain the vast majority of you have never been near the arctic circle.
To keep life reasonable one would want to limit the number of photos in an article.
I'm going to try my hand at it over this summer. Posting sometime in September. May not be one continuous trip but it will represent the region in which i ride.

One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Daniel Kalal

• Gaggle Hero
    • Trip Reports
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 08:19:35 AM »
Quote from: Yukonica
Are the blue dots on your map GPS readings or photo ops?
I keep track of where I’ve been by a series of lat/lon coordinates, which I can save in a spreadsheet and show as dots with most any mapping software.  The coordinates are generated during the ride by a small Spot device, which I have strapped to the back rack.

It’s a handy way to remember where you’ve been, and is even easier than marking up a paper map of all the roads you’ve ridden (which is what I used to do).

We certainly don't have the mix of town and road up here that you do.   A few nice views and an occasional village...
You’ve just described most of the world.  I can’t imagine there’s any place in Alaska that isn’t at least as photogenic as most of Kansas.

one would want to limit the number of photos in an article.
Ouch…  But, I agree with your other point; I’d sure like to see much more posting of photographs, too--but, avoid too much posting of unscaled images.  All of mine have been cropped and scaled and are actually fairly small files (even if there are an awful lot of them).

Offline rboe

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 01:53:22 PM »
I'm very fond of pictures, seeing them, taking them - so I'm a bit biased and in your case, too many would be very hard to do. Especially considering that you take pains to make them user and browser friendly.

You also label your trip posts very well so if one needs to avoid them for what ever reason they are easily avoided (work blocked the photo server so I'd try to ignore your thread until I got home and view the thread properly, now that I'm retired it is no longer an issue - well, the issue is wanting to the same darn thing you are doing!).

:bow
Phoenix, AZ
2000 Quota 1100 ES Black (sold & gone)
2008 Honda XR650L
2012 Griso SE
2013 Honda CB1100

eric2186

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 02:24:59 PM »
Awesome, awesome pictures. I was planning a trip that would loop through that part of New Mexico and now I definitely will want to incorporate more of those destinations.

Offline Bill N

• Gosling
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 04:01:08 PM »
Daniel,
Don't change a thing! I enjoy all the photo's you can post.
Bill

canuck750

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2015, 04:47:24 PM »
Great shots, I have had the good fortune to travel most of the roads in your pictures with the exception of Oklahoma, now I have a reason to stray further east.

Thanks

Jim

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here