Author Topic: New(to me) Jackal  (Read 8974 times)

Offline dogjaw

• New Egg
New(to me) Jackal
« on: April 27, 2015, 09:19:28 AM »
Not sure where else to post this; I've always been a huge fan of the Honda UJM's, the CB lineup in particular... recently while out on a ride with my son, we found a dog stuffed in a crate and left to starve, stopped and rendered aid:

We named her Charlie Bravo, and she has became quite the celebrity, her FB page generating 20k likes in a fairly short time. I made the mistake of watching "Sit, Stay, Ride" and decided that I just had to have a hack, posted on ADV asking which of my bikes would be most suitable; an inmate from across the country suggested a trade, my beautiful 89 CB1 for a 01 Jackal. I had major misgivings, not being familiar with the Guzzis, but agreed to a straight swap, took Charlie with me and met him at a truck stop in Birmingham.

Stopped on the way home to Arkansas to grab some shuteye; an enclosed area and a gassy dog do not make a good combo, especially when she decides to hog the sleeping bag

I found a beater side car for a little bit of nothing, worked on it all weekend, already seeing a difference...

Now I have a new problem: I don't want to hook a sidecar to her. In the short time I've had her, I "get it"; this bike has spirit, and it seems a shame to saddle her with a hack, almost like putting a cart on racehorse, or burkas  on Sophia or Monica 

But if I must, I must; for years I've  had a dream of setting up a hack to do Special Olympics events, and Charlie was the catalyst to get me off of my butt... though I am late to the party, I'm here now; I absolutely love this bike, my wife is already sick of me looking at Guzzi goodies and affecting a terrible Italian accent, but it could be much worse, I could have grown a beer gut, started wobbling  through the curves and traded for a Harley.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: New(to me) Jackal
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:26:06 AM »
 ;-T

You were doing great until the Harley BS.

But welcome you now own the Italian Harley.

Loved my Jackal...
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

oldbike54

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 09:31:09 AM »
 Dogs are man's best friend , and Charlie led you to Moto Guzzi  ;-T Give her a good petting for me . Very nice job giving her a good home .

Dusty

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 09:35:36 AM »
You've got it!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 09:35:36 AM »

oldbike54

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 09:42:58 AM »
;-T

You were doing great until the Harley BS.

But welcome you now own the Italian Harley.

Loved my Jackal...

Aw come on Kev , around here a beer gut and a bad beard are prerequisites for Harley ownership  ;D That , and a $40K PU truck with HD stickers in the back window , bumper , and a license plate holder with the MoCo logo  :D

Just kidding of course ...

Maybe  ~;

Dusty

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 09:45:58 AM »
Aw come on Kev , around here a beer gut and a bad beard are prerequisites for Harley ownership 

Yeah, cause all the clean-cut, gut free guys we see at Guzzi campouts....  :D
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 10:13:51 AM »
Aw come on Kev , around here a beer gut and a bad beard are prerequisites for Harley ownership  ;D That , and a $40K TOYOTA PU truck with HD stickers in the back window , bumper , and a license plate holder with the MoCo logo  :D

Just kidding of course ...

Maybe  ~;

Dusty
Fixed it for ya....
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 10:16:28 AM »
Jackals make good tugs. Get a spare one to ride solo.

Rich A

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 10:35:22 AM »
Dogjaw, you sir, are a prince.

Charlie is one lucky dog and will be riding in style.

:+1

Tobit

Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 11:38:50 AM »
Yeah, cause all the clean-cut, gut free guys we see at Guzzi campouts....  :D

:D :D Yeah , but not many $40K PU trucks at a Guzzi camp out , although we did have a '63 Ford Falcon at Cedar Vale last year  ;D

Dusty

Offline Steph

• Gaggle Hero
  • Cali Stone/ LM3
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 12:17:15 PM »
Welcome! +1

Who is Monica again?
re The Jackal, austerity never felt better!

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 05:08:22 PM »
Good on you for saving CB! I'd like to catch the peckerhead that did that. He deserves to be put on a crappy harley and live out the rest of his life getting tatoos from dirty tatoo shops where all the artists have hepatitus.

By the way, nice pics ;D

« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 05:13:33 PM by Guzzistajohn »
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline sknapp351

• Hatchling
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 05:30:07 PM »
Congrats on the new pooch and goose. I have a Jackal rig and I love it. Your Jackal looks remarkably like mine, minus the sidecar. I knew very little about repairing bikes at all when I bought mine, but the crew here are a wealth of knowledge, sarcasm, and distraction that is dosed in varying ratios. They have always helped me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 06:05:35 PM »
Great post. Pay no attention to Kev, he drank the Kook aide one time, but just a little, and he likes those little girlie man Sportsters.  ~; ;D :BEER:
You *do* get it. Jackals aren't just a "cruiser".. they are a sport touring bike in cruiser disguise. It's a shame to shackle them with a hack, but a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do..
On Route 66
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re:
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »
What good is a Sport Touring bike if it's dragging a hack?

Just saying.

Fwiw, I first bought my Jackal cause I thought it was a baby Road Kind l King for half the price.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
Re:
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2015, 08:34:20 PM »
What good is a Sport Touring bike if it's dragging a hack?

The only way to answer that question would be to drive a well-sorted outfit. I think you might surprised at how much fun it is to pilot a hack.

Rich A

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Re:
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2015, 09:04:26 PM »
The only way to answer that question would be to drive a well-sorted outfit. I think you might surprised at how much fun it is to pilot a hack.

Rich A
I'm not doubting that a bit, but fail to see how one would reap the benefits of the Jackal's handling that way regardless.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline dogjaw

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2015, 09:23:21 PM »
I also have a CB500X  and a semi motared DR650, so I can always go get my lean on, but I've grown particularly fond of the Guzzi, has somehow became my go to bike when I want a quick fix... have even toyed with the thought of selling the CB, something I never thought I would even consider.

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Re:
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2015, 11:19:22 PM »
I'm not doubting that a bit, but fail to see how one would reap the benefits of the Jackal's handling that way regardless.

Well, the way a sidecar outfit handles is to a large degree a function of how well the solo bike handles. So a crappy handling tug will more than likely result in a crappy handling outfit, or good tug = good rig, everything else equal.

Rich

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 06:54:21 AM »
I dunno. I put a hack on a friend's big ol Harley.. don't know what kind, they all look the same to me..  ~; and it was a damn fine handling rig. Certainly a better handling rig than it was as a solo bike.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2015, 07:25:44 AM »
I would think that the power and brakes of a decent sport tourer would be good attributes for a Hack rig.

But I would equally think the low weight of some would actually be a detractor, and sometimes the less stout chassis.

Bottom line I doubt one could make the blanket comment that Sport Tourers make good Tugs, simply because some of the attributes that make them Sport Tourers would work against them.

Similarly I think not all Cruisers or Tourers would make good tugs, but many might for the reasons that make them good Cruisers/Tourers.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline kidsmoke

• Gaggle Hero
  • It's never too late to be what you might have been
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2015, 03:16:14 PM »

This, in my opinion, is an epic photo

Welcome to the fold.
'79 G5
'93 1000S
'00 Jackal
'09 GRiSO

Offline Jim Rich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2015, 06:26:27 PM »
That is an excellent photo.

You have my admiration for saving the dog.  You da man!

I fully understand fondness for the Italian V Twin.  I have trouble imagining riding anything else.

Really like your Jackal by the way.

Offline dogjaw

• New Egg
Re:
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2015, 10:43:24 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, that pic of the Jackal was heading into a hailstorm, had to lay across the tank to keep her from getting dinged up.  There is a local cruiser shop that I gave never visited due to  my affinity for UJM's, thought I would give it a shot last weekend since I was out on the Guzzi; it was odd and somewhat comforting that the Jackal fit in even less than a Japanese bike... viva Italia!

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2015, 10:47:20 PM »
I really like the pic, too, nice composition.

Rich A

AGRO!

« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2015, 06:12:00 AM »
Good on you for saving that dog it actually made me tear up a bit.
Why are some humans so horrible..

Offline dogjaw

• New Egg
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2015, 10:00:21 AM »
All things happen for a reason; two days after thanksgiving, i had a mild get off on my DR650, landed stomach first on a stump; rode on, no problem. Three hours later, hit with blinding pain from a ruptured colon, no cell coverage, had to be medflighted out to the tune of 40k; two surgeries and a three months with a colostomy bag later, here I am. If I hadn't had the wreck, I would never have found Charlie, started the book, gotten the hankering for a sidecar, found the Guzzi, etc, etc. Evil situations must exist, even if only to serve as a backdrop to contrast with the good.

If anyone could send me some closeups of the bike side mounts, it would be greatly appreciated.

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2015, 10:27:25 AM »
There is somebody on this board who has made some sidecar mounts. swbrenton maybe? Anybody?
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2015, 03:26:22 PM »
There is somebody on this board who has made some sidecar mounts. swbrenton maybe? Anybody?

Lee Bruns, I think. Dauntless motors has dedicated mounts for Guzzis..

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here