Author Topic: IS A TOM TOM GPS WORTH IT?  (Read 4646 times)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
IS A TOM TOM GPS WORTH IT?
« on: May 23, 2015, 01:10:45 PM »
What is the scoop on features, maps, price compared to Garmin?

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline v65tt

• Hatchling
    • Streffords
Re: IS A TOM TOM GPS WORTH IT?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 02:27:16 PM »
took my new tomtom rider back and have a garmin zumo 220 now

zumo display much more suited to a bike and bluetooth instructions work well.. Supplied RAM mount is really good quality
Iain

1984 V7 TT ( 2015 v7 stone powered TT )
1986 V65TT
2016 SWM SILVER VASE 440
1974 HONDA XL250 MOTOSPORT

http://www.streffords.net

Offline Silver Goose

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »
Get yourself a Zumo 550, soild as a rock. Garmin still supports the 550 although it's production has stopped. The unit is great the cradle is the weak point.

Good Luck
2007 Norge
2002 BMW K1200 LT
1959 Indian/enfield
1964 Norton
2008 Can Am Spyder

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 08:41:18 PM »
Tom Tom, Junk Junk. IMO, nothing compares to Garmin.  Get an "LM" model so you can get Lifetime Maps.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited
2021 TaoTao TBR7

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 08:41:18 PM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 09:53:23 AM »
TomTom Rider is the biggest POS consumer electronic product I've ever owned. If I weren't such a staunch litter opponent, it would have sailed off several parkway scenic overlooks by now.  The touch screen is the worst I've ever had the misfortune to encounter, the screen isn't bright enough, and the routing is abysmal.

I bought this thing because I used a TomTom iphone app all over the UK and loved it..  But I have to say this Rider Gps is the worst motorcycle-related purchase I've ever made.

I attempted to use it on about a half dozen trips, each time I ended up turning it off and using my iphone maps instead.  Next time I lift my tank, i'll be pulling the hardwired pigtail and selling the whole setup on ebay.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 11:58:48 AM »
Geeze guys, tell me what you really think...

Spud
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

andrewdonald1

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2015, 11:59:26 AM »
Be aware that a completely new version is coming out in the next month or two.

I've seen spotty little reviews so far out of Europe as they are getting the product now, but not a really good review yet in english.
It appears decent from what I've seen.  I guess it depends on your definition of "value" maybe.  
Personally I am hoping that it will do the job for my needs: but I am looking for more on road navigation, with live traffic abilities, lifetime maps, decent price but not heading towards north of $800, plus my limited feedback on garmin is that they have their "challenges" on the software side of things, and that they like to "lock" you in as a customer via map upgrades etc.  Whether my story is all accurate, I don't know.
But I do know I am going to wait until the new tom tom comes out and digest some reviews before I pull the trigger either way.

What's most important to me is visibility in direct sunlight: to me it doesn't matter what widgets or cool features are offered if I can't see the bloody thing while I am riding in direct sunlight.  I'll downgrade or live with something that is usable before having features that are in essence not usable in direct sunlight.  For example:  I was thinking of going with a Nexus 7 Tablet as they appear to be top tier in visibility in direct sunlight, but I've seen I think someone on here that tried one and once again not very usable in that environment.  

http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/drive/motorcycle/products/

ETA:  
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tomtom-rider-400-gps
« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:09:26 PM by andrewdonald1 »

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2015, 01:45:01 PM »
I have found the Tom Tom Rider to be excellent...bought it brand new on Ebay for $299, so you can get 2 Tom Tom's for the price of 1 Garmin.  It has worked perfectly, works fast, with gloves, water proof, got it hardwired in by Larry at MPH.  A fantastic device with a  Twisty Route option that makes for fun routing.  I don't think a Car Tom Tom is a great choice but the Motorcycle one is excellent.  Now if they had a version with Doppler radar, that would be great!  Oh, and the one I got also does have lifetime maps, I have found visibility in day or night to be excellent, what more do you need?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:49:20 PM by PJPR01 »
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2015, 03:04:51 PM »
Heck, I can see my car Gamin (older Nuvi) in direct sunlight, as well as my phone.  Just have to tilt it to get rid of glare.

Never had a Tom Tom but I did try their version for the phone.  It was OK, but, nothing I'd pay extra for.  Had a Magellan and their support sucked, ie, I could not get new maps for it.  Have had Garmins ever since and will continue to use them.

Features?  They are all about the same.  Some like the "twisty road" feature, but, I have managed to find my own for years.

But, this is from a guy who won't spend over $200 for a GPS.  I usually buy the ones that are just going out of production or are out of production, with lifetime maps and traffic.  Motorcycle specific?  Not until they lower the price a LOT.  I would like to have one of them that has a built in TPMS, but, won't pay a lot more for it.  Yes, I ride an old Guzzi  :D
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline lorazepam

• Gosling
  • Almost ready for suspenders
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2015, 07:40:27 PM »
Meh, I am still using a Street Pilot 2610. I like the interface on it much better than the new ones.

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 02:52:33 PM »
Personally I wont give either of them £300

I bought a second hand car TomTom off Fleabay for £45

So if it drowns, vibrates to death or some scrote nicks it I don't care - I'll just go get another one - heck I can buy a new one with life time maps for £69

Secondly, I programme mine before I set off so glove friendliness not a feature I need
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

RickTReloaded

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 03:15:06 PM »
I was considering the Garmin Zumo 660 for an upcoming trip, but came accross "The Greatest Road" app for my iPhone 5S.  Been playing with it and will load some of my regular local routes for my next ride out to areas I know there is ZERO cell reception.  I may do that this weekend and make a decision on whether or not that Garmin 660 is worth it.

yourfavorite

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 04:04:45 PM »
Is lack of cell reception in some areas the reason you guys prefer a GPS over just using your phone?

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 04:08:05 PM »
i can be out of cell reception within 20min of my house, if I go on the most interesting roads  ;-T
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here