Author Topic: last Monday in May...  (Read 1709 times)

lucydad

last Monday in May...
« on: May 25, 2015, 09:00:10 PM »
All,

Played today at our local Memorial Day service.  Good one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gr5WUyL2H-s

I lost it and cried when the Marine JROTC young men laid wreaths.  Remembered so many, now gone, and one particular young man buried in France who never had a chance to have much of a life.

A day of remembrance.
A day of mourning.

Not being political, but the band even played Dixie.  And I thought that was fitting given this is Texas.  Made me smile for some of my ancestors.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: last Monday in May...
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 09:10:52 PM »
Our family being sentimental traditionalists to a fault, we still observe the original “Memorial Day” of May 30th as we continue the family tradition of decorating the graves of those who came before us at the old family cemetery at Bealeton, VA where the Klines, Weimers, and Grays are buried, and the military cemetery at Culpeper, VA where my Dad and Mom are interred.   

So the family will be gathering there with flowers this coming Saturday for the annual observation …..  and our granddaughters can be told about their great-great-great-great grandparents and carry it on ….

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 11:11:24 AM »
Sounds like the US equivalent of our ANZAC day.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
Sounds like the US equivalent of our ANZAC day.

Maybe sort of is.   "Memorial Day" used to be called "Decoration Day", and was (is) basically for remembrance of service members that gave their lives in service to their country.    It is still basically that, but also a time for remembrance of ALL those who have gone before us.

November 11th was originally "Armistice Day" to celebrate the end of WWI.   It's now "Veteran's Day", to honor those living members of the service (and sometimes those who have passed on).

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here