Author Topic: deCorbinizing my new Corbin V11 LeMans seat  (Read 6740 times)

Offline ratguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
    • road kill
deCorbinizing my new Corbin V11 LeMans seat
« on: August 27, 2015, 08:39:36 AM »
I was sort of forewarned against buying a Corbin seat but thought I would give it a shot. The order form has you put in your height, weight, etc but I really don't think they even care about the information. My seat arrived and wouldn't fit on the bike. I couldn't get the latch to latch. I called Corbin and they told me I needed to trim the rubber bumpers down myself on my brand new expensive seat. I asked if I could return it and was told they have no return policy. You are stuck with it. I trimmed down the bumpers and got it to fit correctly. I took it for a ride and it was like it was designed for someone at least a foot taller than me. In order to reach the handlebars, I had to sit on a huge lump which felt like it could sterilize me if I rode any distance.
So since Jon Revilla, http://theseatguyjon.com did such a great job on my 1975 850T seat I had him "fix" my brand new Corbin.
I tried it out on my work trip to Meadville, PA, 520 miles and it was amazing on how much better it was. Jon knows exactly where to carve and replace.
I just wished I would have thought of having him add Calvin peeing over the Corbin logo that's on the seat........
Great job.
JB

John Boettcher
Wonder Lake, IL

"I'll quit riding when they pry the handgrips out of my cold dead fingers"

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
Re: deCorbinizing my new Corbin V11 LeMans seat
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 09:00:06 AM »
I had an issue with a Corbin solo seat I had made years back when I had a fat boy. It had a huge gap between the seat and the tank, and another huge gap between the seat and the fender. You'd think they would've had the softail mold down to perfection being that's what they do most (Harley seats) - I sent it back and they fixed it for me. Turned out nice, but it was expensive, and a lot of time went by by the time it was finally right. This was around 2004-2005, maybe they were more about customer service then. Not sure, I think the company was up for sale about a year ago so maybe new owners?
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 09:20:21 AM »
The Corbin seat for V11s was made for the early 2000/2001 bikes.

There was a small change to the seat latch by Guzzi (in 2002, I think), which makes modifying the rubber bumpers necessary when using the Corbin seat on late V11 bikes.

It's a problem that was discussed at length here and on V11lemans.com back at the time.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:21:55 AM »
I've had Corbin seats on a '96 Triumph Thunderbird, '74 Norton Commando and '08 Guzzi 1200 Sport and they have all fit the bikes perfectly and fit me perfectly. Workmanship was not as good as I would have liked on the Commando seat purchased about 5 years ago but was really nice on the 1200 Sport seat purchased last year. See below. Corbins are too firm for some people and do add significantly to the overall seat height due to the dishing out at the sides (great side support) but all the seats have really worked for me at 6'1" and 215 lbs. For the Sport, I did consider a custom-made seat as the stock seat was truly awful, but that would have cost me twice as much as the Corbin. Have done several 400 mile days on the Sport with the Corbin now and it works very well.

2008 Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 09:21:55 AM »

Online Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 10:48:15 AM »
I have that COrbin Canyon seat on my Breva, it is quite comfy,passenger loves it, but damn it's low.  Called Corbin about raising it 1.5" and the cost was obscene. I bought it for $270 used, it has been worth it, but I will take sore knees over a raising & recover.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Don G

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 10:56:33 AM »
I have a Corbin that came with a second hand Norge, I tried it and hated it, put the stock seat on and tried it, I found the Corbin to be better, so I put it on and got used to it. I use the Corbin on my 1200 Sport and also on my 1100 Breva, one seat covers 3 bikes.  DonG

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 12:01:09 PM »
I have that COrbin Canyon seat on my Breva, it is quite comfy,passenger loves it, but damn it's low.  Called Corbin about raising it 1.5" and the cost was obscene. I bought it for $270 used, it has been worth it, but I will take sore knees over a raising & recover.

lower pegs?
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 12:56:56 PM »
some say it takes a few hundred miles for a Corbin to break in as they are extremely hard.

The issue I had with them on a Suzuki Bandit, the seat bucket was set rearward like it was meant for a cruiser.  The Bandit is more sport touring style and the Corbin made you reach forward and bend further to grab the bars.  The owner (aka Devilman) got used to it and liked it. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline tpeever

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2015, 02:45:04 PM »
some say it takes a few hundred miles for a Corbin to break in as they are extremely hard.

Yes, they can take quite a while to form to your butt. I think a lot of the impressions of Corbins as too hard are related to rider weight. I would not characterize Corbins as "hard" but would characterize them as "firm" and about the correct firmness for my 215 lbs. The stock seat on the 1200 Sport was made for a 175 lb or less rider. Foam was way to soft, aspect was to far forward (squeezed my nuts against the fuel tank) and and had zero side support. Very uncomfortable!

The issue I had with them on a Suzuki Bandit, the seat bucket was set rearward like it was meant for a cruiser.  The Bandit is more sport touring style and the Corbin made you reach forward and bend further to grab the bars.  The owner (aka Devilman) got used to it and liked it.

Corbins do move you back on the bike making the reach to the bars greater which could be a consideration for some riders. That, and the fact that the seat effectively subtracts an inch or so from your inseam are definitely factors to consider. If you are barely able to touch ground with the stock seat, you won't reach if you install a Corbin.
2007 Moto Guzzi Nevada
1978 Kawasaki KZ650
1976 BMW R75/6
1974 Norton Commando
1968 Moto Guzzi V700
1967 Triumph TR6C
1961 Norton Dominator

Offline KJ Knowles

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2015, 04:22:52 PM »
I had to modify my Corbin to make it fit on my 2002, also.  I find it a big improvement over the stock saddle, but seating preference is a huge variable from one person to another, so I'm not surprised at all that your experience was different.  I do think for the price, that the seat/bike gap could have been a bit more consistent.

Where are we going...and why are we in a handbasket???

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 04:56:17 PM »
I put over 100,000 miles on a Corbin on my DL1000, and liked it a lot after I broke it in. It did have a slightly wider tongue than the stock seat, which made it feel taller when at a stop, but otherwise I liked the shape.

One thing to remember about Corbin is that they are one of the few makers (along with Sargent and Mustang) who make their own seat pans. That does lead to some fitment issues compared to seat makers who use the factory pan and work from there.

All that being said, I like Corbins - but I like my Norge's Russell DayLong much better, and will go back to them for any future saddle.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline rudolf35

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2015, 08:58:34 AM »
I have a 07 Breva 1100 and the stock seat was "shop worn". Having used Corbin seats on most my bikes, it was a knee jerk reaction to order from Corbin.

I placed a order for a Canyon seat for the Breva; gave all the information to the actually friendly order taker. I was informed it will take 6 to 8 weeks and I could live with that. Well what I got delivered was far from what I was accustomed to from Corbin; matter of fact I could do and did do better. The seat looked new but the covering on the front portion looked like it was never tight. The seams looked like I attempted to sew them and there where huge divots in the vertical portion and the front.

Needless to say, pictures and a gripe letter went to Corbin. I received a not from the person taking the order requesting the images be forwarded to a text number so he can show them to the production manager. Now we shall see how Corbin lives up to their reputation.

Question now is was the order a knee jerk reaction or a jerk reacting - time will tell.

:whip2:

PS- Corbin did honor their warranty; sent me a RMA and will have FedEx pick it up.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2015, 02:17:48 PM by rudolf35 »

Offline mjptexas

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2015, 09:10:01 PM »
A couple of shots of the Corbin on my Cali Custom:

On my first ride I thought, 'My God! What have I done?'.  It was hard, the width changed my stance when I stopped, I was miserable.  400 miles later I swear by it, so much that I ordered one for my Ducati.
Mike

'18 R Nine T Urban GS
'17 Griso
'16 XL1200 Roadster
'15 Monster 821
'14 Cali Custom
'14 Vespa GTS300 Super
'15 Vespa Primavera
'75 CB400F
'76 CB550F

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 09:38:38 PM »
I deal with custom seat owners all day.  It;s my business. Of all the aftermarket seats Corbin is the most polarizing by a country mile.
As for the break in thing they suggest-it's closed cell foam and you're literately breaking it down with your body weight.
There's better ways.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Rox

• What's a Goozy?
  • Hatchling
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2015, 01:06:37 AM »
On my Guzzi I merely had my seat reshaped and reupholstered. Made a world of difference and 1/3 the cost.
    My touring bike I considered the same treatment but after some research from many seasoned riders I decided to keep the stock seat and adding a form fitting sheepskin sherpa cover. Might seem silly but those things work..
02 V11 Lemans
02 V11 Scura
14 Honda CTX1300
07 Yamaha R6

Offline oranges3

• "this amp goes to eleven..." Nigel Tufnel, Spinal Tap
  • Gosling
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2015, 06:59:29 AM »
I had one made for my 2004 v11 café sport...
fit perfect out of the box...
feels great!!

bought one for the diavel also...
no issues.
2012 ducati diavel
1995 Triumph Speed Triple
1998 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
2004 V11 Cafe Sport
1999 Confederate America GT
2018 Motus MST
2007 griso
1986 kawasaki ninja 600r

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2015, 09:23:29 AM »
I've had 2 Corbin seats
I tried one on a Triumph T140 and did not like it.  The scooped out portion for your butt was suitable only for a sit up and beg riding posture.  I sold it on and the next owner also immediately sold it.
Just no "made" for that bike
I have one on my BMW R80 and like it very much.  I talked to the people at Corbin and told them what I wanted and they made the seat to my specs= no scooped out butt cradle

Mother Road Motorsports is Tulsa's exclusive Moto Guzzi dealer
Oklahoma's premier Moto Guzzi, Aprilia, Vespa and now Ducati dealer
Great service, Great selection, Friendly Environment! Come see us on Route 66.
Advertise Here