Author Topic: Dedicated GPS/nav device vs cell phone  (Read 2362 times)

Online Anomaly

• Gosling
  • Location: Southern Tuscany (mostly), Rhode Island (sometimes)
Dedicated GPS/nav device vs cell phone
« on: January 15, 2022, 07:27:54 AM »
OK, from some of the photos posted here, I know some of you pursue each of the two alternate options: do you use a dedicated navigation device (e.g., TomTom), or just the mapping program on your cell phone? And why? Thanks.
1981 T3 California, 1983 Piaggio Apecar P2
Sold: 98 BMW F650, 2012 v7 Classic

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Dedicated GPS/nav device vs cell phone
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2022, 07:34:27 AM »
I found Garmin units to be too fragile. And too expensive to have them break all of the time.
I also like the numerous app/map options on a smartphone.
I have used nothing but the smartphone for over 10 years now. My broke GPS units are on a shelf.

Queue an idiot that thinks a smartphone does not work where there is no cell service in 3...2...1.... :boozing:
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 07:35:08 AM by Wayne Orwig »
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 08:43:58 AM »
I've used my phone/Google exclusively on bikes. My friends with expensive GPS units (including a cross country rally) have more trouble and errors.
Phone navigation includes the ability to download your route-Google prompts you if you are going to rural places . You do NOT need a cell signal to use them.

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 08:49:18 AM »
I’m still using my phone. I know GPS devices are structurally more robust, and being out in the sun for hours will shorten a phone battery’s life, but I guess I’m just not read to invest in a GPS device. Don’t know if I ever will be. I used one on my Spain trip, didn’t use one on the Turkey trip. Just downloaded the maps in Google Maps, and prayed the navigation system was able to ping off other signals for location.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2022, 08:49:18 AM »

Offline slopokes

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2022, 09:23:19 AM »
I still use paper maps..🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 09:28:10 AM »
 I use older cell phones with no plan as my GPS,right now an Iphone 6s and a bomb prove Kyocera. I use Ride with GPS,Scenic.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 10:00:22 AM »
In Europe we rent cars and I just use the iPhone navigation. It works wonderfully in Spain and France although she butchers the pronunciations.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 10:13:58 AM »
I use a Garmin GPS for touring in Europe and find it extremely crude in its user interface and its exasperating to program a route. On the other hand its weather proof and works with gloves.

In the US I use an iPhone with the opposite result: programing a route is super easy but rain and gloves are an issue.

It would be really nice if an easily programmed, weather proof and glove useable dedicated motorcycle GPS were available, with internet access for looking up hotels etc directly and quickly but without the necessity to have it at all times.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 10:15:57 AM by Tusayan »

Offline Motormike

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2022, 11:04:38 AM »
I use both,  but rely on a Garmin GPS more often, since they are mounted more-or-less permanently on my bikes.  Although my older Garmin's do not have enough memory to hold a complete map of the US without a SIM card.   Never had one break yet. Weatherproof and can be used with any gloves I am wearing.  Try that with phone screen.  I even bought a pair of special "touch-screen" friendly gloves to use on the phone...didn't work. Besides, my iPhone screen is far too small to use as a nav. device for the most part. Then there's the fact that most phones can't take the heat and shut down if left in the sun too long.  And now far too many reports of damage to the phone camera focus mechanism caused by vibrations.  Considering what a new phone costs...no thanks.

However, in spite of these issues, I have decided to pick up an old obsolete (ie: cheap) iPhone 6 Plus and try it strictly for navigation purposes. Use it as a back-up to my Garmin on longer trips.  No SIM card.  If the camera breaks, I won't even know about it.  I'll keep my iPhone 10 in my jacket pocket.

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2022, 11:11:12 AM »
My Garmin devices have been super reliable.  Older models were very slow and lots of odd things to put up with on their software (in the past).   I have 4 motorcycle garmin devices and they all work fine.  2 of them have been used on dual sport (like TAT ride) thousands of miles. 

A while back, I did switch to Android phones ... google maps, and tried various other mapping programs.  At the time I switched, Garmins were very slow (like looking around on a map and picking a spot you want to go to) and cell phones were "free" (sign up for 2 years, get a free phone).

When phone charging ports died, no biggie some promotion to get a "free" phone or $50 phone, just replace the phone.

Then phone plans changed, the free phone mostly disappeared (well, really good "free" phones disappeared, mostly), 14 years old Garmins still working and realizing how many phones I'd been through ... decided to try Garmin again.

I bought a Garmin Zumo XT ... on sale for $399.99, came with a Ram mount system and power cradle.  So mount things up, click it on the mount, and you have nice waterproof power. 

Maps speed wise, the Zumo is WAY faster than older Garmins, but still a bit slower than an Android phone.  I use this a lot.  Ride along with no GPS running, get into an area I am less familiar with, see a road, pull over, look at GPS/Phone, "Where does this road go", see it routes through to the other side of the mountain range, lots of road options, pick a point on the map, and route to it.  So lots of scrolling around on the device's map.

If you like to plan a specific route in advance ... at home on your laptop (or desktop) you can use google maps to create whatever curvy back road way to get somewhere you want, and they are a few steps (very easy once you know them) to get that exact route over to your Garmin Zumo XT and have navigation instructions to guide you along (not just follow a track on the screen and hope you don't miss some turns).  Very cool.  For everyone that hates Garmin mapsource and basecamp crap software, this is wonderful!  You so not need to have those poor products installed. 

Next Zumo XT amazing thing ... "Adventurous Route" ... really.  So plan nothing ... on your Garmin, enter a destination, like Reno, NV ... you can let it do the normal routing, and for me that would be ~5 hours of interstate riding ... but, tap on "Adventurous Route", and it has 5 levels of how adventurous to be!, and you have a twisty backroads over Sierra mountain passes route laid out for you.  Default adventure level is 4 and looking at fun roads I ride that matches up pretty well with what I would do.  When you go to 5 it does get a bit silly, like going too far out of the way just to get a 4-5 miles twisty road into the route. 

If you are a pavement only guy you can set to avoid dirt roads. 

Some other great Zumo XT things ...
... it has built in WiFi, so it connects and updates and gets software/maps updates over WiFi, so no more goofy Garmin map licenses or crappy update software you gotta run.   
... For additional functions, you can pair it to your cell phone via bluetooth, and you can see weather forecast along your route and get a rain radar map animation that shows radar over the next few hours (can't remember the exact time, maybe 4 or 6 hours?). 
... It has a bunch of somewhat gimmicky built in apps like: Tripadvisor, iOverlander, Ultimate Public Campgrounds, Motorcycle Locations, National Parks, and History channel.  These all "work", but with an Android phone you can also track down a campground, or find areas of interest to visit, or find a motorcycle shop, etc.
... also has some music stuff but I don't listen to music while I ride, so have not tried that
... also pairs with an inReach mini so you can use the GPS to activate an SOS or send messages via satellite.  Also, just FYI, it does not pair with older inReach devices, guess they did not have the right chips to do this when they were built.
... and a bunch of other stuff too

So I am super happy with the Zumo XT.

Things an Adroid still does better:
- route adjustments due to traffic issues.  Haven't figured out if the Zumo can do this (paired to the phone maybe?).  But google maps does this really well.
- you can search for hotels, see ratings/reviews, pick one, book one all in one place.  With the Zumo XT you can find hotels, TripAdvisor has ratings, but I don't think you can book one right there on the Zumo

One "issue" I have with the Zumo XT ... while the ram mounting kit and power cradle are awesome, buying another one (for another bike) isn't cheap (around $100 each!) .  So if you have 3-4 motorcycles you want to put the Zumo on, hummm, do you buy an addition 3 mounting kits?   One work around, for the power to the cradle, some guys put on a USB connector there, then you just move the power cradle mount between bikes, and plug it into a USB port on the bike.  But then you don't have that powered directly into the bikes wiring connection.  But I guess USB connections are fairly reliable and can be waterproof ish?

So I still use both.  For a multi day trip into areas I am not familiar with, will use the Zumo XT.  If just running around locally and might want to find a lunch place or route to a gas station, will just have an Android phone in my pocket until needed.

2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2022, 11:12:05 AM »
I use both.  And paper maps.  I put custom routes in my GPS, and use the phone to find eateries, gas stations, etc.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2022, 02:50:38 PM »
I've never used a GPS.  My Android phone has navigated my car and walking in DC and Europe.

For the bike, I use a Beeline.  It's a dongle Bluetooth to my phone.  It gives arrows and distance markers for a quick look and attaches to the handlebars.  It has it's own Navigation Ap and can also supposedly load map files.  I got it from a member here for a good price.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2022, 03:03:38 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Kiwi Dave

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi Gander Ltd
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2022, 03:15:42 PM »

For the bike, I use a Beeline.  It's a dongle Bluetooth to my phone.  It gives arrows and distance markers for a quick look and attaches to the handlebars.  It has it's own Navigation Ap and can also supposedly load map files.  I got it from a member here for a good price.

Me too!  I just have to remember that the Beeline has a mind of its own, and will not necessarily take me to my chosen destination, via the route I had in mind.  Sometimes it is simpler to shut the navigation, and start again from my new start point.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2022, 05:05:02 PM »
Roy, you can build your own maps with the Ap.  The key is build your map step by step rather than designating a destination and then editing the route.  I find the same issue with every map program I've tried to use.  There is also the option of loading GPX map file but I've never been able to do that.

RK, I like the Beeline because I can keep my phone in the tankbag and keep it plugged in.  I use an auxiliary battery but many bikes have a USB plug.  You can also mount your phone like a GPS which would still need have a power source over time.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2022, 05:56:52 PM »
I use a Garmin GPS because the screen is big and my eyes like that. Plus some cell phones use cell towers for the "GPS" and in Idaho it is very easy to get out of cell phone range. I also like to use BaseCamp to make my routes/tracks and upload them to the GPS. I like to make a track when I want to go on a specific path to my destination other than the one the device will pick for me. I have considered getting an older tablet for a big 10" screen but have yet to find one cheap with true GPS.  :bike-037:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Online tommy2cyl

• Gosling
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2022, 08:40:15 PM »
Very timely thread as I have spent the last few days doing the deep dive on this topic.  Superb synopsis by usedtobefast.  A lot of work went into your post and I am very appreciative.  The biggest negatives with using an iPhone are as mentioned damage to camera focusing due to vibration, not adequately waterproof especially at the USB port, not glove touch functional.  Possibly the biggest negative is if the phone pops out of the mount and is lost or damaged so it doesn't function, that is a big dent in the fabric of our lives. Especially when you are in the middle of nowhere 3 states away from home.   If the same happens with a GPS it would be a bummer, but the damage has been limited and you still have your phone.  Also, if you do happen to go down on your bike and are injured, it is a big plus to have your phone on you and not on your bike that you may not be able to get back to.  I find the Beeline interesting because many times that is all I want, a prompt on my next turn.  I still sometimes write my major routes out in large print and place in the map pocket on my tank bag.  Old school but works.  Been researching the Zumo XT and TomTom 550 and Beeline, with the Zumo XT looking like the choice, but it ain't cheap at normal price of $499.00.  Regardless of what I may or may not end up with, I will always carry plastic covered trifold maps.  Durable, reliable, large overview and not dependent on electricity.   :boozing:

Offline leroysch

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2022, 09:24:49 PM »
+1 on the Garmin XT over the 6XX series. Vastly improved readability (brightness).
'88 FLST
'95 Ducati 916
'04 V11 LeMans
'06 FLHX
'09 Buell 1125R
'17 BMW R Nine T
'19 H2 SX SE+
'22 Pan America

Online xackley

• Gosling
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2022, 10:08:22 PM »
Most android mapping apps let you download offline maps.
Maps.me is on my cheapy cell phone. I have the US and Canada on an SD card.
Once in a while I ask it which way to home.
Once in a while I'll ask it to help with the last mile to get to a destination.
Don
1958 R69 BMW, 1972 R75/5, 1980 yamaha XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 EV, 2007 Triumph America and 2017 V7!!!
All on the road, going nowhere in particular.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2022, 10:38:54 PM »
I still use paper maps..🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Not when you’re locating pre booked accomodation in Berlin, 2hrs after dark, in the pouring rain you won’t... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Mine told me I had “reached my destination”, at the moment I rode under the awning at the front of the hotel..
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 04:33:45 AM by Huzo »

bobrebos

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2022, 05:21:38 AM »
I’ve used an old Tom Tom rider for years.  Will replace with a Garmin zumo this  spring before my trip out west with the War Department (Wife). 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 11:44:15 AM by bobrebos »

Online egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2022, 05:46:47 AM »
This thread came along just in time. I just started looking into replacing/supplementing my Android phone with a dedicated GPS unit. The phone works great for the most part but I do worry about it getting shaken to bits on mixed surface rides. Would rather have it in my pocket than bounced and vibrated on the bars. Would also prefer it in my pocket if I were to go down and become separated from the bike and injured.

Can anyone comment on Zumo vs. TomTom or point to a good article? What are the risks of buying a newer model used one?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 05:48:12 AM by egschade »
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2022, 07:46:44 AM »
 This is a topic on ADVRIDER now for years, lots and lots of info about using your phone as a GPS.
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/ultra-rugged-kyocera-phones-gps-smartphones-my-guide.1206076/page-309#post-43557880
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2022, 07:57:58 AM »
Possibly the biggest negative is if the phone pops out of the mount and is lost or damaged so it doesn't function, that is a big dent in the fabric of our lives.

Don't use a RAM X-grip. That is a POS. Get a RAM Quick Grip to properly secure the phone.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline motogoro

• Hatchling
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2022, 09:37:47 AM »
I am a much more casual rider than years past, but still prefer Garmin waterproof models. 
I've had very few issues with the waterproof versions.  The automobile models will go wonky when rained on, even lightly.  :angry:
I am an asphalt rider who uses RAM mountings and RAM or Garmin cradles. 

My issue with cell phone navigation is signal.  In the boonies it can be sketchy. 
We use RAM X-grip cradles, with the rubber "tether", and iPhones.  The grippers will work off if not minded. 
Only had one problem with RAM X's so far.  I connected to 911 securing Helen's phone, once.   :embarrassed:  The X grippers depressed the side buttons just right. 

There is a big plus with Google Maps though.  It will reroute you faster, and more reliably, if there are traffic delays ahead.  That's been my experience in areas of high cellphone density. 

As said before, we are casual riders.  Wayne has, no doubt, logged more miles than I in the past ten years.  My long distance, or year 'round, riding days are a blurry handlebar mirrored memory.  Listen to the Wayne. 
Steve M. in SE WI
WMGR 193
MGNOC L-553

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2022, 10:44:44 AM »
I am a much more casual rider than years past, but still prefer Garmin waterproof models. 
..snip..

My issue with cell phone navigation is signal.  In the boonies it can be sketchy. 

I had a nice waterproof Garmin 276C that filled with water on a rainy ride. Another Garmin StreetPilot 3 that the power connector started to smoke on a rainy ride. I have had a lot of issues with Garmin's in the rain. No such issues with my Samsung other than the touch screen being goofy until it dries out.

What signal do you mean? I have used my smartphone on forest roads all over the Smokey Mountains where there is no cell signal. Still works great.

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2022, 10:57:43 AM »
Wayne if your interested in repairing your Garmins I can recommend this guy. He worked miracles on our original 15 year old Nuvi and both of our Zumo s restoring them to better than original working condition. He does good work is fast and reasonable. Down side he is in Minnesota.

https://short-tronics-inc.business.site/

I found Garmin units to be too fragile. And too expensive to have them break all of the time.
I also like the numerous app/map options on a smartphone.
I have used nothing but the smartphone for over 10 years now. My broke GPS units are on a shelf.

Queue an idiot that thinks a smartphone does not work where there is no cell service in 3...2...1.... :boozing:
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Jorg66

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2022, 11:08:46 AM »
Used to do the Phone [I phone 6] in Province,mind you its the Praerie's, lol ,now Garmin Zumo, .... cause can be operated with Gloves in Rain and like to change it up from Fastest Route to Scenic ,all Gas stops and Hotels and Campgrounds are loaded.
Now 2019 California ,,2018 [ New] V7 III Carbon Dark
Ex  1979 Kreidler Florett, 1980 Z 550 , 1969Nuovo Falcone/ Polizzia,2006 VTX 1300 C ,1982 Honda CB 125 S

Offline motogoro

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2022, 11:49:37 AM »
I had a nice waterproof Garmin 276C that filled with water on a rainy ride. Another Garmin StreetPilot 3 that the power connector started to smoke on a rainy ride. I have had a lot of issues with Garmin's in the rain. No such issues with my Samsung other than the touch screen being goofy until it dries out.

What signal do you mean? I have used my smartphone on forest roads all over the Smokey Mountains where there is no cell signal. Still works great.

Had an old StreetPilot "brick" for years.  Maybe all my "gully washer" rides were pre Garmin?  When I'm running a windshield the GPS is tucked up close to the shield

My Verizon service iPhones are useless in some rural areas of western and northern WI.  If I'm not on Google Maps in advance, good luck making the connection. 
Steve M. in SE WI
WMGR 193
MGNOC L-553

Offline Caffeineo

• Guzzi B00b
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2022, 12:02:06 PM »
You don't need an embedded gps in a device that large.  There are many GPS options that connect via USB.  We use them for nav on boats a lot.

I may be a little slow to upload this idea......but are you saying I can connect my Garmin to a tablet for a big screen view? Totally awesome if I could work that out. Thanks for the tip.  :bow: :thumb:
2022 Moto Guzzi V85
2018 Husky 701
2023 Husky TX300

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2022, 04:30:58 PM »

Right, GPS isn't based on getting service.   But the phone needs to have a charge.  Also, my Beeline will glitch if the phone is on better saver.  I keep the phone in the tankbag, plugged in and safe while it's Bluetooth'd to the Beeline. 

OTOH, a dedicated GPS needs power too.
John L 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here