Author Topic: Did something dumb today  (Read 12197 times)

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Did something dumb today
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »
Walmart is a horrible place. I can't figure out why people go there in the first place.

One down the street from me.  I'm in there a lot.  What I cannot figure out is the lack of turnover with employees there.  They must be holding family members hostage because they just don't quit and their smiles have to be phony.   
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2015, 10:00:13 PM »
Walmart is a horrible place. I can't figure out why people go there in the first place.

I'd say you are a union member and/or a Democrat voter.   :evil:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:01:10 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline jabberwocky

• Gosling
« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2015, 06:14:45 AM »
I'm self employed, but yes I tend to vote Dem. I'm not  loyal democrat, and I'd vote GOP if they'd come up with someone who wasn't straight from the circus. For a little while, I thought Ben Carson might hold some promise.

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »
Personally, I'd drop it as a lesson learned.

I think you have a "chain of evidence" issue as there's no way to prove that what you sent for analysis came from your car--or even what's in your car came from Walmart.

Even if you got everything in place and took them to small claims court, they could still say that at most, it was just an oversight by a tech who got interrupted, offer you a free oil change, and it would simply be let go.

The most you might do is complain to a state consumer protection agency.  They tally those things and then will take action when they can.  Doesn't cost you any thing.  Could also file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.

:1: This, and just don't go back there.  For anything.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2015, 08:33:47 AM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2015, 08:56:17 AM »
I imagine that minimally supervised minimum wage workers hide mistakes from management.

my guess is that in peak hours, the staff sometimes moves cars around rather than do the job.  I doubt that management encourages it unless they don't have the staff to deal with the demand and probably gives a blind eye.

It's happened to too many people for too many times.  We have several instances of it here and when you talk to people you hear about more.  If you talk privately to folks that work there, they won't deny this happens.

After the broken windshield, I've never gone back.  I'll spend another $5 and go where I trust the work is done and can get out fast.

My biggest knock on WalMart is the cheap clothes.  I am tried belt loops ripping out of my jeans, socks that lose their elastic after a couple of weeks, and belts that come apart in a couple of months.  And you can't find better stuff when you go elsewhere.  My high dollar Levi's pulled out the same belt loop.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 09:00:16 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2015, 09:42:27 AM »
How is that even possible?

Watch the video here.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200623859_200623859

It actually has a few good points, like the fact that the drain plug is not going to be loose or damaged when done.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2015, 10:08:59 AM »
This is interesting - from the manual

ATTENTION!
Some cars have a built-in oil suction probe. In this case, connect the coupler of the oil changer B directly to
the probe. For other makes of car (Volkswagen-BMW) equipped with a built-in probe having a different
opening, connector (C-Volkswagen, D-BMW) must be used

So sucking the oil out must be a recognized method.
I think you would need a pretty decent air compressor to drive the eductor.
17 V7III Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2015, 11:19:33 AM »

BTW, I do shop at WM occasionally, but only late at night.  Those "People of WalMart" scare me.    :grin:

ooooohhhh..sooooooo o...you are one?    :undecided:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 11:20:45 AM by bacongrease »

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2015, 11:23:40 AM »
BTW...if you are around along enuff.....you have heard stories from other auto centers, not just Wally World.

I worked with a black guy who scratched/marked his oil filter to check if it had been replaced.
 Seems like not replacing the oil filter on a brothers auto was SOP in some places.

Offline bacongrease

• Gosling
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2015, 11:24:58 AM »
This is interesting - from the manual

ATTENTION!
Some cars have a built-in oil suction probe. In this case, connect the coupler of the oil changer B directly to
the probe. For other makes of car (Volkswagen-BMW) equipped with a built-in probe having a different
opening, connector (C-Volkswagen, D-BMW) must be used

So sucking the oil out must be a recognized method.
I think you would need a pretty decent air compressor to drive the eductor.

Doesn't Harley change oil with suction?    :rolleyes:

Offline steamdriven NZ

• Gosling
  • simplify and add lightness
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2015, 06:06:49 PM »
I have one of these....well one similar. A wee electric suck pump for changing oil in the jet boat because you can't get anything under the sump with it being so close to the hull. Sure it doesn't get it all out but I normally do a short run after changing then change it again. That flush gets a lot of muck out, something I've routinely done with bikes and cars over the years.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/business-farming-industry/industrial/other/auction-951198953.htm

But normally I drop the plug because it is the best way. I have a set of ramps and access to a hoist for the Chev, ramps make life easy

Kev.
When you spend more time spannering than using, you have reached toy saturation.....

'84 750 Monza (The Monzada)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2015, 06:16:39 PM »

You can look at the cigarette butts decorating the front of the store, the funky-looking employees lounging outside on a break, the people going in and out, the business model, and the cheap and nasty feel of the business model (run everyone else out of town, then you've got 'em!) to know that you shouldn't even go in the store for a bottle of laundry detergent.

To take one's CAR into a place like that to let some pimply git bash it with wrenches .... well, the word "dumb" doesn't quite cover it.

Given the social and economic philosophies of many on the board, I can't imagine why they don't just stay out of the store on PRINCIPLE.    A giant capitalist near-monopoly, owned by the richest people in the world, selling cheap Chinese junk that Americans used to produce, who grows like a virus by pulling into town and shutting everyone else down, then you watch the stores turn dirty, cheap, and ill-run ....

But I suppose it's all justified because every one is saving MONEY.   That's not only the most important thing, it's the ONLY thing; regardless of all the talk and posturing ....

Never catch me in one; and they've got CAMERAS!

Lannis
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:20:45 PM by Lannis »
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2015, 06:30:05 PM »
You can look at the cigarette butts decorating the front of the store, the funky-looking employees lounging outside on a break, the people going in and out, the business model, and the cheap and nasty feel of the business model (run everyone else out of town, then you've got 'em!) to know that you shouldn't even go in the store for a bottle of laundry detergent.

To take one's CAR into a place like that to let some pimply git bash it with wrenches .... well, the word "dumb" doesn't quite cover it.

Given the social and economic philosophies of many on the board, I can't imagine why they don't just stay out of the store on PRINCIPLE.    A giant capitalist near-monopoly, owned by the richest people in the world, selling cheap Chinese junk that Americans used to produce, who grows like a virus by pulling into town and shutting everyone else down, then you watch the stores turn dirty, cheap, and ill-run ....

But I suppose it's all justified because every one is saving MONEY.   That's not only the most important thing, it's the ONLY thing; regardless of all the talk and posturing ....

Never catch me in one; and they've got CAMERAS!

Lannis

Since WM caters to all customers no matter their position in life, I have seen some stores in seemly places, but my local WM isn't like that.   For you to lump all WM employees & customers in 1 box is ignorant and unnecessary.  No one forces anyone to go in any store if they don't want to.  Unlike you, if I need something and I know WM has it I will look beyond the atmosphere around me and get what I need.  :kiss:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 06:32:20 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2015, 07:51:22 PM »

Since WM caters to all customers no matter their position in life, I have seen some stores in seemly places, but my local WM isn't like that.   For you to lump all WM employees & customers in 1 box is ignorant and unnecessary.  No one forces anyone to go in any store if they don't want to.  Unlike you, if I need something and I know WM has it I will look beyond the atmosphere around me and get what I need.  :kiss:

It's one company, one concept, it's standardized, it's sh!tty, no one forces anyone to go in, and if you can stand it, fine, go ahead.   But many people who pretend to despise this sort of thing go into the stores anyway, because it's cheap.

I'm just saying I don't, I don't care how inexpensive it is or how bad I think I "need" it.   Your sensitivity to greedy big-box stores obviously is less developed than mine.  Go for it.

Lannis

Online Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2015, 07:02:06 AM »
I feel very lucky to have a father/son run and owned auto shop near me. Besides feeling assured that service work is done well they have let me use their solvent tank to clean Guzzi parts and have let me keep my Guzzi there when planning to leave when rain was in the forecast so I knew I didn't have to worry about getting through my unpaved road.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline jabberwocky

• Gosling
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2015, 07:52:19 AM »
I've got your back Lannis! Couldn't agree more. Somehow I've managed to get by without going to Mallwart for the last 15 years. Well, I must confess early this summer I DID go in there and gave them $.89 of my money for a pack of fish hooks so I could take my kids fishing spur of the moment. The scene there confirmed all of my opinions of the wretched place, and it will likely be another decade or two before it's time to go there again. 

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2015, 12:26:58 PM »

It's one company, one concept, it's standardized, it's sh!tty, no one forces anyone to go in, and if you can stand it, fine, go ahead.   But many people who pretend to despise this sort of thing go into the stores anyway, because it's cheap.

I'm just saying I don't, I don't care how inexpensive it is or how bad I think I "need" it.   Your sensitivity to greedy big-box stores obviously is less developed than mine.  Go for it.

Lannis

You're right, Lannis, I don't have an ounce of snobbery in me.  In fact I detest snobs.

oldbike54

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2015, 12:29:09 PM »

You're right, Lannis, I don't have an ounce of snobbery in me.  In fact I detest snobs.

:1:

Dusty

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: September 20, 2015, 02:39:52 PM »

Snob?

You keep using that word.   I do not think it means what you think it means .....  :grin:

Lannis

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here