Author Topic: Magni Australia.. (UPDATED)  (Read 27542 times)

Offline weevee

• Gosling
Magni Australia.. (UPDATED)
« on: April 03, 2009, 12:23:10 PM »
Hi chaps

Does anyone on the site own one of these bikes?  If so, what can you tell me about running and riding?  How many were made?  What might I pay for one in fine condition?  

The only one I can find anywhere on the web is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe-rVuR8c-g&feature=related  It's a nice looking machine!

Cheers
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 06:34:09 AM by weevee »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Magni Australia..
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 12:28:47 PM »
Got an email from them two months ago about a swingarm kit, they are still in buisiness . Go to magni.it and ask them how many.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 12:30:41 PM »
IIRC, the australia was the second generation version with a monoshock. The earlier twin shock version was purported to have a stiffer swing arm, but MAgni succumbed to fashion in fitting the mono. I raced one of the Australias at Daytona in 2000, sponsored by Cosmopolitan motors and the Magni Importer. Seemed like a competent bike...

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 01:02:04 PM by mtiberio »
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 05:04:03 AM »
Cheers guys, good info.

I've only recently got 'into' Guzzis, but am enjoying my Le Mans more than I thought I would.  Were I to buy a Magni I'd probably be selling what has, up until now, been my favourite ever bike: an RC30.  Decent RC's are fetching five figure sums here in the UK, but I've no idea what an 'Australia' would cost me.  Can anyone hazard a guess as to their relative values?  Would the Guzzi be cheaper?  More expensive?  Would the Magni be considered as good an investment?

Questions, questions.  But there's been so little published on these bikes!

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 05:04:03 AM »

guzzijack

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 05:25:09 AM »
Considering the rarity of the Magni models, and the likelyhood of an owner being on the forum, you're probably better off asking Arturo directly http://www.magni.it/. Not sure that he'd want an RC30 in part-exchange though.  ;)

GJ

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:44:56 AM »
Thanks for the link guys

Yes, I'll e-mail them for info.  I won't want a p/x though - I'm just interested in relative values.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2009, 07:58:45 AM »
I think like most small volume manufacturers they have moved to making "kits" for bikes Euro 3 compliance is just too hard for smaller manufacturers Ghezzi Brian have gone the same way.

Steve G.

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2009, 09:59:39 AM »
  Spotted one of these last Sept. in Lecco, just down the road from Mandello. The sound, the look, magnificent!!

guzzijack

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2009, 11:40:43 AM »
Couple of pics of one I spotted running at the Trofeo Rosso in 2007. It was there last year as well.

Went quite well on the track.

GJ

Offline 5154guzzi

• Gosling
    • Team Subtle Crowbar
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2009, 03:03:42 PM »
WeeVee,

I own a 94 Australia, #23 of as many as 150 total that were built.  I cant confirm that total number but read it somewhere. Seems high to me that Magni would have been able to buy that many drivetrains from Guzzi.   Most ended up in Europe and Japan, I heard that as many as 7 may be in America and know of 3 in Southern California. About 6 years ago,  I visited Magni`s factory in Gallarte , and they had a new one sitting on the floor, not sure if it was for sale or Giovanni`s personal bike.
  Mike hit it dead on about the suspension, a decision made by the market and not what worked best for the bike.  The bike does work very well regardless with the monoshock. The drive train is completely stock Daytona, down to the airbox. The wheel base is shorter than a Daytona, it`s lighter due to EPM wheels, chromo frame and carbon fenders etc and is an absolute blast to ride in the twisties.  You sit in the bike as opposed on top of it like on the Daytona,  For me at 5`7" , it`s quite comfortable. 
  As far as value goes, they were expensive when new, about $18,000 US, maybe $20,000 by the time they were out the door. They were not legal in California when formerly imported as a 3rd generation with the RS motor, then known as the Australia 98.  These had slightly different bodywork with air intakes molded into the front of the fairing.  To answer what they are worth now,  So few change hands and in this economy its hard to say. Maybe between $15000-$22,000  USD ?   I`ve only seen two for sale in the US for the 8 years I looked for one.   Magni made some other models that were very nice, the Sfida in both 2v and 4v configurations and a beautiful ,fully faired vintage 2v called the Giapone 52 and some others.  Good luck with your search, it definately takes perseverance, stay the course, it`s worth it .   Bill

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2009, 04:23:29 PM »
There exist 2 frame versions, the oldest have a tubular frame, bit weird looking. Later ones have a central spine just like the daytona. It's an old bike to todays standards. What it's worth? depends on yourself.
They have the special air around them, but it's not so much different from a normal daytona.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

guzzimike

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2009, 04:50:24 PM »
My buddy Ernesto had a Magni AUSTRALIA, but he sold it not so long ago

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2009, 04:29:31 AM »
WeeVee,

I own a 94 Australia, #23 of as many as 150 total that were built.  I cant confirm that total number but read it somewhere. Seems high to me that Magni would have been able to buy that many drivetrains from Guzzi.   Most ended up in Europe and Japan, I heard that as many as 7 may be in America and know of 3 in Southern California. About 6 years ago,  I visited Magni`s factory in Gallarte , and they had a new one sitting on the floor, not sure if it was for sale or Giovanni`s personal bike.
  Mike hit it dead on about the suspension, a decision made by the market and not what worked best for the bike.  The bike does work very well regardless with the monoshock. The drive train is completely stock Daytona, down to the airbox. The wheel base is shorter than a Daytona, it`s lighter due to EPM wheels, chromo frame and carbon fenders etc and is an absolute blast to ride in the twisties.  You sit in the bike as opposed on top of it like on the Daytona,  For me at 5`7" , it`s quite comfortable. 
  As far as value goes, they were expensive when new, about $18,000 US, maybe $20,000 by the time they were out the door. They were not legal in California when formerly imported as a 3rd generation with the RS motor, then known as the Australia 98.  These had slightly different bodywork with air intakes molded into the front of the fairing.  To answer what they are worth now,  So few change hands and in this economy its hard to say. Maybe between $15000-$22,000  USD ?   I`ve only seen two for sale in the US for the 8 years I looked for one.   Magni made some other models that were very nice, the Sfida in both 2v and 4v configurations and a beautiful ,fully faired vintage 2v called the Giapone 52 and some others.  Good luck with your search, it definately takes perseverance, stay the course, it`s worth it .   Bill

Much appreciate the info. Bill.

My Guzzi experience is all of five hundred miles up until now, so I can be patient before buying!  Truth is, I'm merely looking for something 'special' with which I can replace the RC30 when the time comes.  There's no rush. 

My background is with Ducatis, primarily, and having just sold my last - a 888SP - I guess it's almost to be expected that I'd be attracted by the styling of the Australia.  They look very much alike, don't you think?  I loved the 888, but sold it simply because I grew weary of its need for constant attention - even when it was parked up! (..cam-belts, fuel-pump, desmodromics etc).  I expect the Magni would offer all the 'charisma' of the Duc. - but with a deal less hassle!

I'm using an early Le Mans at the moment, and whilst I found it a bit strange at first, it's growing on me.  It has bags of personality (..and I'm guessing all Guzzis feel somewhat similar?)

I've never seen an Australia for sale anywhere, so far as I can recall - at any price.  And what with the unfavourable exchange rate twixt the US and the UK, I'd be looking reasonably close to home for one.  Perhaps it's to my advantage that most went to Europe?  I'll keep my eyes peeled, and bide my time.  I'm not one to rush in.  (..I've an old MV which was ten years in the finding!)

Nice photos chaps..  The bike looks quite a big beast parked there, Guzzijack.  How odd then that it looks so petite next to Guzzimike's buddy??  He must be a real BIG guy!  :o

Thanks again for the info.  I'm a touch more enlightened..!

Cheers
Steve

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2009, 04:56:33 AM »
i've seen  them for sale in the 10-12000 euro range, In the Netherlands and Germany.

Why not get a mgs01, and make it road legal?

At the Trofeo rosso, we had a special bike line up once:

from left to right, my daytona, the magni, the G&B Supertwin, 2 replicas from v8 and 350 racer.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:12:10 PM by paul minnaert »
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

guzzimike

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2009, 07:40:44 PM »
   Nice photos chaps..  The bike looks quite a big beast parked there, Guzzijack.  How odd then that it looks so petite next to Guzzimike's buddy??  He must be a real BIG guy! 
Steve

Ernie is about 6 Ft tall.

gomma

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2011, 02:07:13 AM »
Good morning lads from the sunny Athens-Greece.

I am the owner of a magni Australia '98 with 9,800 Km which I am selling.
The price I am looking for is Euro 15,000. The bike is in exellent condition as you can see in the pic. I have a large number of fotos which I can mail on request.

Regards

Yiannnis

Online Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2011, 04:28:33 AM »
Weevee

Your in the UK correct?

Try DiMarino, he seems to get MAgni's from time to time in fact an 1100 ie is for sale right now, but they will not be cheap.

http://www.dimarino.co.uk/bikes/stock.phtml?stock_id=688

Gomma's offer looks to me like a good buy, if it's the Australia you have your heart set on, these bikes are like rocking horse s**t.

John

Roundbarrel

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 04:30:06 AM »
A friend here imports used Magnis from Japan and had a couple of Australias for sale a while back at around NZ$20,000, about 8-9000 pounds I think. I've only ridden the Sfida but that is a brilliant bike, the only reason I don't own one is that I'd have to sell my Lemans to pay for it - and that will never happen.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2011, 05:27:27 AM »
Why did someone have to revive this thread? Dam'it I have saved some money for once too! I was quoted closer to 26K NZD for an Australia in NZ with lots of nice parts was a little bit too much for me by the time I paid for shipping import duties etc.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 05:34:31 AM by Murray »

Roundbarrel

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2011, 04:42:59 PM »
Why did someone have to revive this thread? Dam'it I have saved some money for once too! I was quoted closer to 26K NZD for an Australia in NZ with lots of nice parts was a little bit too much for me by the time I paid for shipping import duties etc.

Was that from Pete in Dunedin ?

crc

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2011, 09:25:10 PM »

Yes.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2011, 04:59:39 AM »

Yes.

Although if the Aust dollar keeps heading in the direction it is it might become feasible.

Offline weevee

• Gosling
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 08:43:45 AM »
Weevee

Your in the UK correct?

Try DiMarino, he seems to get MAgni's from time to time in fact an 1100 ie is for sale right now, but they will not be cheap.

http://www.dimarino.co.uk/bikes/stock.phtml?stock_id=688

Gomma's offer looks to me like a good buy, if it's the Australia you have your heart set on, these bikes are like rocking horse s**t.

John

I bought my Le Mans from there John - and you're right, it wasn't cheap!

Shame this thread's two years old 'cause I've just this winter restored my RC30 and thus will be keeping it for a while longer - this summer at least.  (It - or the Le Mans  :o - would have to go to make way for anything else).

ps.  Have e-mailed you, Yiannis.

ofast1

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 12:58:34 PM »
Here is my MAGNI AUSTRALIA at goodwood FOS 2011

Big Block Jon

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 02:30:24 PM »
Oldjock in Scotland owns a Magni. Not sure if it's an Australia.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 05:36:07 PM by Big Block Jon »

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »

Nice looking bike.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

JohninVT`

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2011, 06:48:48 PM »
I dunno why but these are my absolute favorite Guzzi.  If I had my choice between an Australia and a MGS-01, I'd take the Magni. 

guzzimike

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 10:35:08 PM »
I dunno why but these are my absolute favorite Guzzi.  If I had my choice between an Australia and a MGS-01, I'd take the Magni.  

Yeah, agreed on the Magnis...

A SFIDA for me.. 8)

-

Offline Phang

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 12:02:11 AM »
I dunno why but these are my absolute favorite Guzzi.  If I had my choice between an Australia and a MGS-01, I'd take the Magni.  

Yeah, agreed on the Magnis...

A SFIDA for me.. 8)

-

Me too, a Sfida 1100ie please  :(
2009 Griso 8V SE Tenni (Green)
2000 V11 Sport (Green)
1973 V7 Sport (Green)

Online Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2011, 03:01:36 AM »
Phang I agree the Sfida 1100 is a super looking bike.

My bike is a plain old Sfida based on the LM 1000.

They are super bikes I'd never part with mine and I have spent considerable amounts of cash restoring it as I could not stand to see it deteriorating

John

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here