Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
General Discussion / Re: Stornello Replacement Tires?
« Last post by Dirk_S on April 22, 2024, 09:12:18 AM »
I run Shinko 705's on my T7. Don't see a reason to change :thumb:

I was actually going to advise against the 705s. I found they just wore down too quickly on pavement, and once you got out onto dirt, the big block design seems to hurt with only 50% of the groove depth remaining. What has your experience been?
« Last post by Dirk_S on April 22, 2024, 09:07:08 AM »
You’re a brave man to tackle the NEBDR on a V7. Not that it can’t, but personally I’d be more comfortable on something like a dedicated ADV bike.

Ha, I totally believe it can’t do the whole NEBDR…without modification.

I’m in the middle of building a set of 21/18 wheels, and will hopefully have the NTX 650 forks thrown on as well. At that point it’ll essentially just be an overweight NTX 650, or as the Germans call it—an R80 GS. Similar torque and power, albeit a wimpier driveshaft for the Italian. I’m basically going for the same build that Guareschi did with their V7 II, seen here:

Weight-wise, it should be lighter than the Triumph 1200 Scrambler, maybe in line with a fat KLR…we’ll see. Bash plate will indeed be back on. I had the Agostini sump protector on the V7 on my first MABDR trip, and it was crucial for the expert sections. Last year’s MABDR trip was without the plate (I sold it and was hoping to have another installed by then), which kept me from doing the rock garden climb up Poe Paddy again.

I know I tend to stay cheap with my tires, but I’ve also been considering trying out some Anakees or Motoz at some point. That Tractionator looks the business.
General Discussion / Re: Static Timing
« Last post by Bob_Fla on April 22, 2024, 09:05:48 AM »
Rotate the distributor (Two bolts) to set the right cylinder. - I was ready to do that from my auto timing days, but unless I overlooked it, instructions just talk about rotating plates. I don't remember reading anything anywhere about rotating the distributor. 
Thanks.
 :thumb:
« Last post by Guzzistajohn on April 22, 2024, 09:03:14 AM »
I run Shinko 705's on my T7. Don't see a reason to change :thumb:

« Last post by adventurelounger on April 22, 2024, 08:34:12 AM »
Yep…OEM’s are 100% Golden Tyre.

I can’t really say whether I’d prefer a 60/40 or 70/30 tire…but I do want some dirt grip because I tend to ride a number of dirt/gravel roads, and also because optically, it’s a scrambler, and would look weird (to me) with plain road tires.

Will look into the MT60s…they might be the ticket.

You’re a brave man to tackle the NEBDR on a V7. Not that it can’t, but personally I’d be more comfortable on something like a dedicated ADV bike.

A friend of mine and I did a Vermont adventure a few years back (I rode my Super Tenere and my friend rode my Stornello) and the lil’ Guzzi did fine…would just recommend a burly bash plate for the occasional rocky sections. If you’re curious about our ride, I posted a report about it on my motoblog here: https://longitudeandgratitude.blog/2016/08/25/idiots-delights/

From that trip…

General Discussion / California 1400 Trunk
« Last post by JC85 on April 22, 2024, 08:30:28 AM »
I'm planning to pick up a 1400 California in the next year, so I'm putting together ideas for the build. The main thing that I'll want to put on it is a trunk. I know that I can still get the Hepco Becker luggage rack, but I'll probably have to go with an aftermarket trunk, since the Guzzi ones are no longer available. The issue is that I'll need to make sure that the top loading side cases have clearance to open all the way, without the trunk interfering by overhanging too far. I haven't been able to find any information on the width of the Guzzi trunks or the dimension between the side cases. Can someone provide me with some insight? Thanks!
General Discussion / Re: 2023 V7 Special Edition
« Last post by Tkelly on April 22, 2024, 08:24:43 AM »
I bet some members would volunteer to help you get to 900 miles while you ride your other bikes.
General Discussion / Re: Why multis are better - Nerd-alert!
« Last post by LowRyter on April 22, 2024, 08:08:55 AM »
50 years ago the key to more power was more cylinders.  40 years ago they added turbos.

But the real key to power from 30 years has been the water pump. 
General Discussion / Il Maestro
« Last post by cliffrod on April 22, 2024, 07:52:50 AM »
A nice old Moto Guzzi video to start the week. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS3uuNvG36Q
General Discussion / Re: Why multis are better - Nerd-alert!
« Last post by SIR REAL ED on April 22, 2024, 07:44:21 AM »
My wife had a 454LTD back in the day, that used the same mill detuned for cruzer work. While the bike was strange, MAN that motor was nice. It had WAYYY more usefull power then you would expect for a sub 500cc mill. Great engine

Yep.  I was so impressed that a couple years later I bought a Ninja 500.  IMO, due to cost and performance, an excellent choice for a beginner.

The Ninja 500 & the 454LTD are excellent example of how engine design and tune makes the the number of cylinders irrelevant to performance.

My Aprilia RXV550 V-Twin seemed like an inline four about 5,000 rpm. 

Two or three very minor design changes and better quality control, and that could have been one of the all time great motorcycle engines and powered everything from enduro bikes to light weight touring bikes.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here