Author Topic: Fuel injected fuel hose from the petcock  (Read 967 times)

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
Fuel injected fuel hose from the petcock
« on: November 27, 2021, 01:45:03 PM »
I want to replace the long fuel hose that runs from the petcock, to the external fuel pump. Anyone recommend a good source, as well as the hose diameter? Bike is a 2001 California EV, with fuel injection,

Thanks.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Fuel injected fuel hose from the petcock
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2021, 03:06:59 PM »
Rodekyll,

Thank you. I think that was the problem with the current hose. It has a small split, at the end, where ir connects to the petcock.

Mine is 12mm, iirc.  In the old money that would be 7/16.  It can be any fuelproof hose, because the upstream side of the pump is not pressurized.  I have not heard of a petcock-pump hose collapsing from being too thinwalled.  A thinwall hose is easier to work with in that location.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2021, 04:30:48 PM »
Mine is 12mm, iirc.  In the old money that would be 7/16.  It can be any fuelproof hose, because the upstream side of the pump is not pressurized.  I have not heard of a petcock-pump hose collapsing from being too thinwalled.  A thinwall hose is easier to work with in that location.

It is 12mm but it's not equivalent to 7/16" it's closer to 1/2 in. 12mm is .480", 7/16 is .437" and 1/2" is .500". Most people substitute the 12mm for 1/2" esp on a v11 Sport tank where getting the hose on and off space is tight. So the diff between 7/16 and 1/2" is less to the original 12mm for the 1/2". It works fine but when I replaced the hose I sourced the correct 12mm hose. It's available but not as common as 1/2".
Personally I wouldn't use NON injector unreinforced hose partially for the suction reason but also because it's just a tougher more protected hose in a fairly hostile environment between the V. The original hose was actually a stainless braided unit.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 04, 2021, 06:47:27 PM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 06:23:36 PM »
I changed mine this year, took out of sheath it said 11mm. I got 7/16 multi/biofuel and the hose said 7/16-11mm. Slid it back in sheath, put tape on end, just like factory.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2021, 06:23:36 PM »

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2021, 06:30:37 PM »
I changed mine this year, took out of sheath it said 11mm. I got 7/16 multi/biofuel and the hose said 7/16-11mm. Slid it back in sheath, put tape on end, just like factory.

:thumb:
Charlie

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2021, 09:17:22 AM »
When I changed mine a few years ago I went with 1/2" because I could not find ANY 12mm around anywhere. The 1/2" was really too big, and never really gripped well on the petcock. So I ended up researching hose sizes and ended up finding some -8 an hose with nylon braid that was just a little bit smaller then 1/2", and fit perfect!  They have the steel braid also, but its really too stiff to clamp, and was tough to fit into the tight spaces.
Paul B

Online sdcr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 09:43:58 AM »
I tried sourcing the 7/16” this week, and none of the big “ autoxxx” stores carried it, or were inclined to order it.
My local Carquest store in Doylestown was out If it, but Kevin  said, “ I’ll have your hose tomorrow, “. Sure enough, they called Friday and said my hose was in.  Excellent service, and I picked up Some extra stuff there as well.
John
2000 BMW R1100 RS
1983 BMW R100
2009 Jaguar XK

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »
On my Sport I'm running 12mm SS braided but on the HiCam (both external pumps) I'm using straight Gates fuel hose.

No problems with either, decent fuel hose is good for at least 100C  some a lot more and 20bar

Personally I don't see the point in SS braiding, pressure isn't an issue.

If I was to use any outer it would be to provide additional heat protection as between the Vee can get pretty toasty.

Just my opinion for what it's worth

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2021, 05:15:13 PM »
When I changed mine a few years ago I went with 1/2" because I could not find ANY 12mm around anywhere. The 1/2" was really too big, and never really gripped well on the petcock. So I ended up researching hose sizes and ended up finding some -8 an hose with nylon braid that was just a little bit smaller then 1/2", and fit perfect!  They have the steel braid also, but its really too stiff to clamp, and was tough to fit into the tight spaces.

This is true but it has an advantage in this particular situation with regards to hose stiffness and access issues. It clamps up ok, is easy to get on and off the tap and doesn't need to really seal pressure so although not optimal is works. My bike ran it for years from the PO.

Ciao

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2021, 06:15:28 PM »
1/2" is .508".
Uhhh.. sorry, but 1/2" is .500. <shrug>
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2021, 06:46:26 PM »
Uhhh.. sorry, but 1/2" is .500. <shrug>

True Chuck, typo. Corrected.

Ciao

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here